IGNORED

Atari 2600+ Beta Update 1.1 REV 2

Ben from Plaion

4 hours ago, Bitsized said:

Also, I was wondering are these the "official" firmware updates.  I thought these were "testers" and there was going to be a more official firmware update available on the Atari website.  Also, will the process get streamlined at all?

Ben did mention that a new batch of hardware was being manufactured with the latest firmware on it, so I'm guessing the current beta will become the "official" version 1.1 and any further beta release will have a new version number.

Otherwise it's going to get very confusing for users if there is hardware sold with 1.1 installed, but then newer versions of 1.1 are subsequently released?

18 minutes ago, infinite.pies said:

Ben did mention that a new batch of hardware was being manufactured with the latest firmware on it, so I'm guessing the current beta will become the "official" version 1.1 and any further beta release will have a new version number.

Otherwise it's going to get very confusing for users if there is hardware sold with 1.1 installed, but then newer versions of 1.1 are subsequently released?

Yeah, I don't want to create any confusion. I'll make sure the numbering system is solid and clear. I probably made a mistake not adding Beta to the 1.1 Christmas update and maybe also a rev 2 to the second 1.1 beta released.

Not a Biggie and I will get it all straight.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Just a friendly reminder that after the firmware is upgraded, you need to flip your difficulty switches.  After the upgrade, I settled in for a relaxing game of Superman.  To my surprise when I got clocked by Kryptonite Lois never appeared to give me my flying powers back.  Also the henchmen were running faster than snot in July.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 1/24/2024 at 2:41 PM, Ben from Plaion said:

Hello all,

Many thanks for all the feedback on the Christmas update.

We have a revision of the firmware as well as a repost of the latest dumper software attached to this post. 

We've made the decision to roll back to a 60hz only output for the time being so that the missing sprites issue doesnt effect PAL cart owners. Now that the 7800 emulation and cart compatibility is in a good place, attention now focuses on 2600 emulation. We have the intention of resolving the 50 60hz issue and want to re-introduce it as well as rectifying high CPU usage that maybe affecting some 2600 games as noted in the original 1.1 beta update thread. Thanks especially to @raz0red and @RevEng for all the fantastic support. Another technical whizz has offered support on 2600 homebrew compatibility and we hope to make further advancements there in a future update.

2600 fixes

• Donkey Kong Jr - Coleco (now loads, Dumper 1.1.0.9)
  • Smurfs Rescue in Gargamel's Castle - Coleco (now loads, Dumper 1.1.0.9)
  • Masters of the Universe - Mattel (now loads, Dumper 1.1.0.9)
  • Burgertime - Mattel (now loads, Dumper 1.1.0.9)
  • Bump n' Jump - Mattel (now loads, Dumper 1.1.0.9)
  • Robot Tank (now loads, Dumper 1.1.0.9)

I'm interested if owners of Coleco white cart rev 3 and M-Network games not listed above can confirm cartridge compatibility with this latest build.

7800 fixes

• A.R.T.I. (Pokey sound fixed)
  • Asteroids Deluxe (PAL), now correctly starts in PAL mode 
  • Asteroids Deluxe (Escape sequence for hidden game, both buttons + right for 3 seconds, immediately on load)
  • Crazy Brix (PAL), now correctly starts in PAL mode
  • Danger Zone (Pokey sound fixed)
  • Diagnostic Test Cartridge (Now loads correctly)
  • Double Dragon (now loads, Dumper 1.1.0.9)
  • E.X.O. (now loads, Dumper 1.1.0.9, Pokey sound fixed)
  • Karateka (PAL) (now loads, Dumper 1.1.0.9)
  • Keystone Koppers (Pokey sound fixed)
  • Klax (may load now, unverified)
  • Millie & Molly (Pokey sound fixed)
  • Moon Cresta (PAL), now correctly starts in PAL mode
  • Pac-Man Collection (PAL), now correctly starts in PAL mode
  • Pole Position II (Course select screen fix)
  • Popeye (Fixed freeze on game start, 1.3c version)
  • Possible Mission (may load now, Dumper 1.1.0.9, unverified)
  • Rampage (now loads, Dumper 1.1.0.9)
  • Scramble (PAL), now correctly starts in PAL mode
  • Space Dual (PAL), now correctly starts in PAL mode
  • Space Invaders (PAL), now correctly starts in PAL mode
  • Tower Toppler (Composite smoothing)
  • Xevious (PAL) (Palette update, less brown)

Instructions for updating remain the same as the Christmas update

Many thanks and I hope to further bring more updates to optimise the experience of the Atari 2600+

AtariDumper1.1.0.9.exe 5.26 MB · 245 downloads update-012324.img 68.85 MB · 232 downloads

Do we need the driver assist and Rkdev as well?

22 minutes ago, vcs2600 said:

Ok, I did my upgrade.  Noticed that in the Game Phoenix, I had to restart the unit a 3 to 4 times before I was able to get the "panic" music (for lack of a better description).

I didn't notice that in v1.0

The screaming of the birds is turned on and off with the left D switch. The position of the A B has been corrected with the update. Maybe that was the reason?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, 2LTIME6100 said:

The screaming of the birds is turned on and off with the left D switch. The position of the A B has been corrected with the update. Maybe that was the reason?

Omg you’re correct. Sorry about that! 

I was fiddling with the difficulty switches. 

my big mistake !

• Like 1

On 1/24/2024 at 10:56 PM, JetmanUK said:

Thanks to all involved again.

It's nice to have 60hz and our sprites back!

I just re-tested my only three carts which do not function.

Pick & Pile - Unchanged, see video

Moonsweeper - Unchanged, see video

Zaxxon - Unchanged, see video 

UPDATE

I have the following  games that don't work:

Pick & Pile - Graphics messed up

Moonsweeper - Graphics messed up

Zaxxon - Black screen

Tac Scan - Unable to start game

Spikes Peak (from Spikes Peak and Ghost Manor double ender)- Unable to start game

If I come across any others in my collection I will update here.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Tac Scan - Unable to start game

Spikes Peak (from Spikes Peak and Ghost Manor double ender)- Unable to start game

The problems with Tac-Scan and Spike’s Peak should be simple for Plaion to fix. 

Tac-Scan wants to be played with paddles in the RIGHT port and for whatever reason Stella is not correctly doing this. 

Also, Stella is incorrectly detecting Spike’s Peak as a paddle game when it is really a joystick game.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, chad5200 said:

The problems with Tac-Scan and Spike’s Peak should be simple for Plaion to fix. 

Tac-Scan wants to be played with paddles in the RIGHT port and for whatever reason Stella is not correctly doing this. 

Also, Stella is incorrectly detecting Spike’s Peak as a paddle game when it is really a joystick game.

Thanks.

They do sound like straightforward fixes.

With regards to paddles, I just played some Diamons to Demons (to check my extension lead with a paddle game, yep, it's fine).

There has been a lot of chat regarding the paddles moving in too large an increment. Well D to D seemed pretty smooth, I don't know if it's a game by game issue or just that I did not notice an issue with that particular game.

Edited by JetmanUK