IGNORED

Do any of the GOSes run on 800?

phoney

The Axlon board   afaik only gives you the 48k plus extended ram 1008k (1056k total) and doesn't provide any updated OS roms. It does, however, support SpartaDOS X.

As such, I'd imagine some GUI DOS OS software would run, unless their are any stock 800 OS ROM barriers. (Maybe they will only run on XL/XE OS?)

Do you have any in mind you wanted to try?

See here:http://www.atarimania.com/faq-atari-400-800-xl-xe-are-there-graphical-user-interfaces-guis_88.html

Also, how are you intending to load the GUIs? 

Edited by Beeblebrox

I have a FujiNet - would boot them from images on SD using the virtual drives.

Yes, I think the question is which ones run in 48K+Axlon

So far I haven't been able to run SpartaDOS X because it requires a physical cartridge, but I assume these graphical OS ATRs are bootable.

5 hours ago, phoney said:

Hey, do any of the graphical OS attempts run on an 800 (with a reifsnyder Axlon 1MB board?)

4 hours ago, Rybags said:

I doubt the OS would be a stopping point - more likely that most 800 expansion banking methods are vastly different to what the XL uses

With Incognito it allow XL banking scheme. But, that is a much more involved and expensive solution.

2 minutes ago, scorpio_ny said:

With Incognito it allow XL banking scheme. But, that is a much more involved and expensive solution.

In terms of either installing incognito, (which is more involved but actually not as complicated as one might think), and installing the plug in axlon 1056 board, cost wise incognito isn't that much more expensive in the grand scheme of things.

$129 us dollars for incognito 

$74 us dollars for the Axlon 1056k

Incognito brings to the table a considerable amount of additional functionality which is well known.

Don't get me wrong. The Axlon 1056k is a great addition to an 800. 

🙂

13 minutes ago, phoney said:

Soldering is a hard no for me. That's the issue there. I WILL break my computer. 

Understood. Just thought I'd mention it. I've installed many incognitos. Is guess where there is no desire to undertake the install, and where there is budget, you can get someone near you to do it for you. 

Anyway, moot as you have your current axlon 1056k setup. It's just if you want to run a GUI on it, you might need perhaps run it on another A8 if it turns out not possible on the 800.:)

I don't have much experience with the various old and newer A8 gui's. Check out the atarimania link I posted earlier and have a google search of Atariage (AA) for those that catch your eye. Chances are it will have be discussed on AA. 

Edit: where are you based BTW. It's not clear. :)

Edited by Beeblebrox

Aside from Jon's GUI demo (which is fast and smooth as silk), most GUIs would probably require some form of acceleration to make them usable, or another word for it would be "tolerable". Of course for purely research purposes it's fun to try some of these out, but from a practical standpoint even BITD they were too slow for the non-accelerated 6502 to handle. I think the same holds true for GEOS on the C64, but at least there were 3rd party hardware add-ons that did make it quite usable, although quite expensive as well.

Personally my favorite method of doing stuff on the A8 such as accessing disk files, is best done with a CLI such as Spartados or BW-Dos. Even using Atari or MyDos with their menu, adds unnecessary steps to get something done. The graphical desktop really required better graphics and horsepower in most cases, with the only exception being the direction of Jon's GUI.