IGNORED

Anyone know of a prebuilt console that I could plug into hdmi on tv and play Intellivision Dracula? None of the flashbacks I can see for sale offer it….

2 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

Seller told me that he doesn’t make NTSC consolles…😞

That's fine, although disappointing.  Thanks for asking, though.  I'll check out some of the other offerings mentioned above, like @mr_me suggested.

I just thought that including the HDMI output was a neat idea.  I am getting old and stupid, and the least fuss there is in plugging my console to a modern TV, the less friction there is for me to use it more.

Plus, it's gotten to the point that out of my four or five original 2609 models, only one still works, sort of. :(

-dZ.

1 hour ago, DZ-Jay said:

This may sound like a stupid question, but ... if a PAL console is modified to use HDMI, do the video and colour encoding differences to NTSC become moot?

-dZ.

Most European Pal Intellivisions have built-in RGB hardware. So video mods can take the colours directly from the Intellivision. NTSC Intellivisions don't so these rgb video mods are taking output from the Stic and have their own colour palette.

The modified Pal Intellivision on ebay linked above outputs rgb. They offer an optional external hdmi converter.

I think the ntsc mods the guys here use can do component and s-video built-in as an option, if that helps. Otherwise you'd have to get a similar rgb to hdmi converter.

4 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Most European Pal Intellivisions have built-in RGB hardware. So video mods can take the colours directly from the Intellivision. NTSC Intellivisions don't so these rgb video mods are taking output from the Stic and have their own colour palette.

The modified Pal Intellivision on ebay linked above outputs rgb. They offer an optional external hdmi converter.

I think the ntsc mods the guys here use can do component and s-video built-in as an option, if that helps. Otherwise you'd have to get a similar rgb to hdmi converter.

Thanks.  I guess my question is even more stupid than what you perhaps imagined:  Several years ago, when I was testing on PAL consoles, I recall having to use either a special PAL-to-NTSC transcoder or buy a PAL television set in order to get a good picture -- as well as having to deal with the power transformer.  My question is, do an RGB mod on a PAL console obviate the PAL-to-NTSC conversion, or do I still need to transcode the signal somehow in order to connect it to an American TV (digital or analogue)?

(I am so sorry if this is as lame a question as I think it is.)

-dZ.

7 minutes ago, DZ-Jay said:

Thanks.  I guess my question is even more stupid than what you perhaps imagined:  Several years ago, when I was testing on PAL consoles, I recall having to use either a special PAL-to-NTSC transcoder or buy a PAL television set in order to get a good picture -- as well as having to deal with the power transformer.  My question is, do an RGB mod on a PAL console obviate the PAL-to-NTSC conversion, or do I still need to transcode the signal somehow in order to connect it to an American TV (digital or analogue)?

(I am so sorry if this is as lame a question as I think it is.)

-dZ.

No, sorry I misunderstood. You are correct, because they both output rgb colour, pal/ntsc color is no longer an issue. The Pal Intellivision is still 50hz and Ntsc is 60hz but I don't think that's an issue for modern televisions.

2 minutes ago, mr_me said:

No, sorry I misunderstood. You are correct, because they both output rgb colour, pal/ntsc color is no longer an issue. The Pal Intellivision is still 50hz and Ntsc is 60hz but I don't think that's an issue for modern televisions.

Thanks.  Still, I'll look into getting an NTSC 2609 modified with RGB, as you suggested.  Is it worth getting an RGB-to-HDMI converter?  Last time I tried this (over a decade ago, I'll admit), there was quite some latency and artefacts introduced in the signal.

-dZ.

If it were me, I'd get the s-video/component option and not bother with an hdmi converter until I have to. You shouldn't have to pay too much for a low latency hdmi converter. I wonder which one the guys with that ebay listing are using?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

If it were me, I'd get the s-video/component option and not bother with an hdmi converter until I have to. You shouldn't have to pay too much for a low latency hdmi converter. I wonder which one the guys with that ebay listing are using?

Problem here is that you can't get Crayon's older board that supported the RGB and component easily and even if you do, you basically have to sacrifice the component if you use the daughterboard to use the composite and s-video outputs. What I would advise is to get his current RGB board installed, and have a 9pin mini din jack put into place. that will allow for the RGB and composite to be wired to it. From there you can use a Rad2x to get HDMI directly (Looks and works fantastic), or use any other Sega RGB cables for SCART or component output that way. Provided the TV you are using will accept 240P over component that is. 

There are several in these threads that can provide these services and I recently came up with new mounting PCBs for intellivision RGB installs that I do for folks. My new mounts allow the mini din to install in place of the RF modulator so in theory, no case shell modification is needed.

2609_mount_view2.thumb.jpg.fa8d0cb91d26fcadce4b64b2cae329f5.jpg

2609_mount_ext_view.thumb.jpg.d738f5f96698083694d892e837d0a2b7.jpg

I had another way I was doing this previously, but this new solution is better overall and provides a better more secure solution as well.

I have a slightly different mounting solution for the INTV 2 consoles that will allow the mini din to install right side up now as well that I offer in my services.

20240205_193033.thumb.jpg.0aab46c3c950cee1834cb0e1cd4a52bd.jpg

20240205_193157.thumb.jpg.6cf967c4d5b0ef464a1826c832354847.jpg

• Like 1