IGNORED

3 previously unreleased 2600 games: Hobo, Spiders, R2D Tank

ianoid

18 hours ago, BassGuitari said:

There was apparently a copy of the 2600 version of Pleiades that sold on Mercari a couple of months back. If it's real (I don't see much to suggest it isn't), somebody got a heck of a deal.

m44422272437_1.jpg?width=1024&height=102

That was me and yes a great deal although I was very skeptical of it being a fake I took that chance.  After receiving it and opening it up, everything looks very much real.  I will get it dumped if I can find someone relatively close to do so.  

Edited by Atari_Bill
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, swlovinist said:

Thank you for the kind words.   In hindsight, I should've shown the Spiders handheld which I do not own.    

Mr. Immortal John Hancock @swlovinist  Thank you for making your great videos!  I don't care that you don't have a Spiders handheld.  I like your video just the way it is.  

Edited by Living Room Arcade
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Atari_Bill said:

That was me and yes a great deal although I was very skeptical of it being a fake I took that chance.  After receiving it and opening it up, everything looks very much real.  I will get it dumped if I can find someone relatively close to do so.  

Given the 6/5/83 date on yours, I would assume that it's the same as the final version or very very close.  Still, we won't know until we get it dumped. :)

4 minutes ago, Nathan Strum said:

AI generated?

Hobo, yes.  The other two based on the Arcadia 2001 boxes but then also using Gigapixel to enhance.  I personally thought the Hobo 2001 box art was terrible so I just had AI generate something new!  :P

1 hour ago, TPR said:

Made a couple of quick labels, mostly just to add these to my RetroPie, but figured I'd share them anyway.... 

Nice, though the other 2600 UA games do have a distinct design that it would make sense to make these match.

IMG_4349.thumb.jpeg.0b9ab747e883736daa673539fa91ac26.jpeg

IMG_4350.thumb.jpeg.f3ac6a2b1117258b08a94e84b66b57d3.jpeg

I've misplaced my Pleiades cartridge, though the design follows on the boxes.

IMG_4351.thumb.jpeg.b24649e88ded91b1c10573e8abf15977.jpeg

56 minutes ago, SpiceWare said:

Nice, though the other 2600 UA games do have a distinct design that it would make sense to make these match.

That's the magic of David Exton. I don't think those were based on anything pre-existing from UA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SpiceWare said:

IMG_4349.thumb.jpeg.0b9ab747e883736daa673539fa91ac26.jpeg

IMG_4350.thumb.jpeg.f3ac6a2b1117258b08a94e84b66b57d3.jpeg

I am well aware of the other design as I have all three boxes. Like I said, it was just something quick I made up in five minutes to add to my RetroPie so there wasn't a blank missing image icon. I wasn't going to be a graphic designer with them nor was I going to suggest they be turned into packaging.  Maybe I should have just not bothered sharing them.  Now at least I know better for next time. 

EDIT: I went ahead and just deleted them.  They really were for my own personal use anyway.  Thanks guys.  This is a reminder that I don't belong here and I'll just stick to the ColecoVision forum.  Thanks. Bye. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, TPR said:

EDIT: I went ahead and just deleted them.  They really were for my own personal use anyway.  Thanks guys.  This is a reminder that I don't belong here and I'll just stick to the ColecoVision forum.  Thanks. Bye. 

🤷‍♂️

No need to take it that way, it was just a suggestion - no different than the numerous suggestions that get posted in the topics for my homebrew games.

12 hours ago, TPR said:

I am well aware of the other design as I have all three boxes. Like I said, it was just something quick I made up in five minutes to add to my RetroPie so there wasn't a blank missing image icon. I wasn't going to be a graphic designer with them nor was I going to suggest they be turned into packaging.  Maybe I should have just not bothered sharing them.  Now at least I know better for next time. 

I liked how you used the Arcadia style artwork.  Honestly you could use the artwork from Tanks But No Tanks for R2D Tank since it looks very similar.  The real carts must use something very similar anyway if Hobo and Cat Trax are any guide.  Actually, you've reminded me that I need to put up a comparison between the original Arcadia artwork and the versions they used on the 2600 boxes (when I get scans that is).

Dont let the critical comments discourage you.  I don't think they were meant in the tone you're taking them.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, TPR said:

I wasn't going to be a graphic designer with them nor was I going to suggest they be turned into packaging.  Maybe I should have just not bothered sharing them.  Now at least I know better for next time. 

My comments weren't meant to be critical of what you did - just commenting on the artwork within the labels themselves. No offense intended.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TPR said:

In all sincerity, my apologies for razzing you. It was meant to be funny, so if you didn’t take it that way then I should have worded it more gracefully.

And I know it takes talent and a good imagination to create art. (I’m terrible at it!) And I have seen some of ColecoVision labels in that sub forum and they are excellent!

• Like 1

On 2/20/2024 at 10:25 PM, CaptainBreakout said:

Does anyone know of an abundantly common 2600 game that uses a rom that can be desoldered and replaced with an EProm of Hobo?  Or maybe a 4k cart for Spiders?  It would be kinda cool to make myself a couple of carts for the game shelf.

Almost any common Atari 2600 game cartridge (say Pac-Man for example) could be used for a 4K game. You would need a 4K eprom, a 7404 hex inverter, and some minor wiring. But there is no plug & play with common cartridges. (some Apollo cartridges do have EPROMs which is much easier, but you have to know what to look for out there)

As for an 8K game, no way. No luck my friend. You will need to buy a blank Atari board from the AtariAge store and an eprom.

• Thanks 1

So.... three pages of discussion, yet nobody reveals exactly HOW these three previously unknown games were even found. Why so mysterious? A few others asked this same question, only to be summarily ignored. Wondering what's up.