IGNORED

3 previously unreleased 2600 games: Hobo, Spiders, R2D Tank

ianoid

Announcing 3 previously unreleased (to my knowledge) games for Atari 2600 by UA, rounding out the sextuplet of games created by that company back in the day but never sold at retail. 

Details about the three new games at AtariProtos.com, or just experience them yourself.

http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/r2dtank/r2dtank.htm

http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/hobo/hobo.htm

http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/spiders/spiders.htm

Attached is the full set of six, with the three discovered games (Cat Trax, Funky Fish and Pleiades) being the same as previous.

Cat Trax 4K.bin Funky Fish 8K.bin Hobo 8K.bin Pleiades 8K.bin R2D Tank 4K.bin Spiders 4K.bin

• Like 18
  • Thanks 26

I was just playing the three new games for a bit.  Some comments.  

I recommend the Arcadia game manuals, they're pretty close to the Atari 2600 versions.  

R2D Tank - Manual.pdf

Spiders - manual.pdf

R2D Tank - Game 1: you vs. CPU.  Game 2: Player 2 controls the enemy tank.  Option 1: no fences.  Option 2: 2 fences.  Option 3: 4 fences.  

Doesn't matter what color the dots are.  You need to get all dots regardless of their color.  

Spiders - Right difficulty A = normal (you have 3 rockets).  Right difficulty B = infinite lives.  Hold down Fire for auto-fire.  

Hobo - Game 1 - play all 3 levels in sequence, then repeat (but faster).  Game 2-1 play cars forever.  Game 2-2 play ladders forever.  Game 2-3 play trains forever.  Games 3-1, 3-2 and 3-3 are like Games 2-1, 2-2 and 2-3 but with infinite lives.  

Hobo, Spiders & R2D Tank: Color=play, B&W = pause, Fire button starts games.  

Additional Comments:

Hobo has poor collision detection in the train hopping screens.  What a shame.  Everyone loves Frogger, we could have used a good Frogger clone.  

R2D Tank - The two player game looks like some serious fun!  Dare I say it could become a classic?  (A decent game vs. CPU, a TOTALLY AWESOME game with two players!)  

Edited by Living Room Arcade
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

I must admit my weird-reading quick-brain (at first) thought there was now a game about Hobo Spiders!

You know, EVERY TIME I look at the 2021 Homebrews list and see "Gorf Arcade," I think it says "Golf Arcade" and I get SO EXCITED!  But nobody around here wants new golf games.  Probably never happen.  

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Living Room Arcade said:

You know, EVERY TIME I look at the 2021 Homebrews list and see "Gorf Arcade," I think it says "Golf Arcade" and I get SO EXCITED!  But nobody around here wants new golf games.  Probably never happen.  

Never say never. ;)  Champ Sports Golf has been talked about as a possible addition to the Champ Sports lineup (once we actually finish and release one :P ).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, johnnywc said:

Never say never. ;)  Champ Sports Golf has been talked about as a possible addition to the Champ Sports lineup (once we actually finish and release one :P ).

@johnnywc  Holy crap!  You are John Champeau of Champ Games, are you not?  Wow, I'm a big fan of yours!  Champ Sports Golf???!  Really??  You guys have been talking about that??  OMG!  Wow!  Yes, please!  I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE that!!!

Edited by Living Room Arcade
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Living Room Arcade said:

@johnnywc  Holy crap!  You are John Champeau of Champ Games, are you not?  Wow, I'm a big fan of yours! 

Yup, the one and only! :P  

4 hours ago, Living Room Arcade said:

Champ Sports Golf???!  Really??  You guys have been talking about that??  OMG!  Wow!  Yes, please!  I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE that!!!

Yes, @Nathan Strum and I have talked about possibly leveraging the 3D engine we developed for Turbo Arcade for a cool 3D golf game.  Of course we have about a dozen other projects in the works so this will have to wait, but maybe someday! 🤞

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, johnnywc said:

Yup, the one and only! :P  

Yes, @Nathan Strum and I have talked about possibly leveraging the 3D engine we developed for Turbo Arcade for a cool 3D golf game.  Of course we have about a dozen other projects in the works so this will have to wait, but maybe someday! 🤞

I’m all for a 3D golf game, as long it comes after that nine inning game.😉

• Like 1

This ROM of Pleiades behaves differently than the ROM I already had in my collection. The title screen on this one wiggles up and down. (The rom I already had also doesn’t work correctly on my Analog Pocket…it plays the various screens totally out of order…I’m hoping this version doesn’t match that behavior).

Ian, where on earth did you find these? 😄

Incredible discovery!

20 hours ago, Nathan Strum said:

Crazy! Just when you thought every obscure prototype must have already been found...

Spiders also got a handheld version by Entex: https://www.handheldmuseum.com/Entex/Spiders.htm

I knew about the Entex game but I never put it together that it was based on an arcade title. 🤦‍♂️

(For that matter, I don't know if I knew the Arcadia 2001 version was based on an arcade title!)

• Like 2