IGNORED

3 previously unreleased 2600 games: Hobo, Spiders, R2D Tank

ianoid

4 hours ago, Adriana said:

So.... three pages of discussion, yet nobody reveals exactly HOW these three previously unknown games were even found. Why so mysterious? A few others asked this same question, only to be summarily ignored. Wondering what's up.

I forget how the original owner found them, it wasn't anything mysterious though.  An estate sale maybe?  My memory is failing me.  It was many many years ago though.   The current owner bought them from him.  I found out about them through a chance conversation and realized that they were something new.  I mentioned to the new owner (who happened to be a friend) that they had never been dumped and he dumped them.

Nothing strange or wild really.  

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, CaptainBreakout said:

I believe these were originally bought from Shamus O'Toole on the Hike & Bike trail.  He was looking to unload these very very quickly since his kids wouldn't stop playin' em.

What ever is the "Hike & Bike trail?"

• Like 1

On 2/24/2024 at 3:44 PM, Jess Ragan said:

Thanks for sharing these games, but I do wonder why there are Atari 2600 versions of games that had previously been exclusive to the Emerson Arcadia. What was UA, anyway?

Same reason Coleco, Mattel Electronics , and Atari(soft) released their games on each others' consoles, I'd imagine. I think it makes sense that UA would develop Atari 2600 versions of some of their games; it was the biggest-selling console in the world, after all. 

UA was Universal Appliances, Ltd., an electronics outfit based in Hong Kong. I don't know whether they made any other products, but they appear to have been responsible for the [console commonly known as] Arcadia and its games, licensing them out worldwide. A lot like the Soundics and Radofins that designed and manufactured dedicated ball-and-paddle games for various licensees and brands across the world back in the '70s.

• Like 1

I've been looking into the way that Hobo does 8k bank switching.  Seems UA had its own method.

I was hoping I could modify a standard 8k cart (Asteroids for example) but it seems it probably won't work for Hobo.

@Supergun mentioned that a 8k pcb could be bought from the AA Store. Does anyone know if it would handle UA's bankswitching method?

If anyone has any more details on the UA method (or how it works in a cartridge like Funky Fish) I'd love to know more technical information about that.  I looked a bit and found some documentation on other 8k bank switching methods, but couldn't find anything specific about the one from UA.

Edited by CaptainBreakout
Just being more specific.

56 minutes ago, CaptainBreakout said:

I've been looking into the way that Hobo does 8k bank switching.  Seems UA had its own method.

I was hoping I could modify a standard 8k cart (Asteroids for example) but it seems it probably won't work for Hobo.

@Supergun mentioned that a 8k pcb could be bought from the AA Store. Does anyone know if it would handle UA's bankswitching method?

If anyone has any more details on the UA method (or how it works in a cartridge like Funky Fish) I'd love to know more technical information about that.  I looked a bit and found some documentation on other 8k bank switching methods, but couldn't find anything specific about the one from UA.

Try this one.

Hobo (F8).bin

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BassGuitari said:

Same reason Coleco, Mattel Electronics , and Atari(soft) released their games on each others' consoles, I'd imagine. I think it makes sense that UA would develop Atari 2600 versions of some of their games; it was the biggest-selling console in the world, after all. 

UA was Universal Appliances, Ltd., an electronics outfit based in Hong Kong. I don't know whether they made any other products, but they appear to have been responsible for the [console commonly known as] Arcadia and its games, licensing them out worldwide. A lot like the Soundics and Radofins that designed and manufactured dedicated ball-and-paddle games for various licensees and brands across the world back in the '70s.

Thanks! There's some handy information here.