IGNORED

Experimental 2600+ Firmware and Dumper

raz0red

I may be asking a stupid question, but I can't seem to find the files to download the new firmware and dumper update.  I looked on the first page and the files do not appear.  I am logged in and everything seems to be right.  Can anyone assist?  :)

8 minutes ago, mmmmbeh said:

I may be asking a stupid question, but I can't seem to find the files to download the new firmware and dumper update.  I looked on the first page and the files do not appear.  I am logged in and everything seems to be right.  Can anyone assist?  :)

Click on any of these attchments in the first post of the thread and the file will download.

image.thumb.png.3143d998d66123e1f72def2ad70dc2c3.png

1 hour ago, chad5200 said:

One interesting thing.... this same Smurfs Rescue cartridge back with 1.1x-r1 was reporting this MD5 hash:

Maybe that helps troubleshoot it?

Sadly the hash doesn't help a lot. From the bytes we've been able to see, we've confirmed that the non-working Smurf cart is an undumped variant, and the cart hardware is probably a bit... quirky.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I have tried two different (cleaned) Pitfall II carts and I'm just getting "No Game Detected."  I tried the Activision "pull out" method, and still no go.  Is anyone else having this issue?

I also still cannot get Smurf Rescue in Gargamel's Castle to work.  😞

Edited by mmmmbeh

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, swiller said:

Has the new firmware improved it or plays the same?

To me it seems great! I thought there was an issue with Super Breakout but it was the paddle. It was baffling me because I used the same paddle set on all my paddle games and only Super Breakout was jittery. When I touched the DB9 connection it was fine. I put a skinny piece of electrical tape around the DB9 connector for a snug fit on the paddle set that was giving me the problem and it works great now.

All my other paddles sets work great!

So I’m not having an issue with any paddle games!

IMG_0566.jpeg

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, swiller said:

Has the new firmware improved it or plays the same?

The latest experimental firmware seems to make no difference with paddle smoothness.  The resolution still feels as course as the firmware that came with the 2600+.

5 minutes ago, mmmmbeh said:

I have tried two different (cleaned) Pitfall II carts and I'm just getting "No Game Detected."  I tried the Activision "pull out" method, and still no go.  Is anyone else having this issue?

Try a tiny bit of Brasso on a qtip then follow up with isopropyl alcohol. I do this for any cart that has an issue and it works every time!

2 minutes ago, chad5200 said:

The latest experimental firmware seems to make no difference with paddle smoothness.  The resolution still feels as course as the firmware that came with the 2600+.

The only one I notice being course as you described is Super Breakout. For me it’s barely noticeable. As for all other paddle games they seem real smooth.

2 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

Try a tiny bit of Brasso on a qtip then follow up with isopropyl alcohol. I do this for any cart that has an issue and it works every time!

I have also done that and still get the same error.  Do we have to update both the dumper file and the firmware?  I apologize for bugging you all with this, but I really want to play Pitfall II if we can.  🙂

3 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

The only one I notice being course as you described is Super Breakout. For me it’s barely noticeable. As for all other paddle games they seem real smooth.

Compare it side by side with a real classic 2600 and you will see the same difference remains.

Can the developers confirm any changes around the paddle interface code?

• Like 1

Thanks for the new update!  I’m sure a lot of hard work went into it and it is really appreciated! And the timing is excellent: I’ve got tomorrow off and so now I can play (um, I mean test) all my games all weekend long!!! :)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

To me it seems great! I thought there was an issue with Super Breakout but it was the paddle. It was baffling me because I used the same paddle set on all my paddle games and only Super Breakout was jittery. When I touched the DB9 connection it was fine. I put a skinny piece of electrical tape around the DB9 connector for a snug fit on the paddle set that was giving me the problem and it works great now.

All my other paddles sets work great!

So I’m not having an issue with any paddle games!

IMG_0566.jpeg

Just to clarify, was this a new CX30+ paddle set you were having an issue with, or was it an original CX30 pair?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jstick said:

Just to clarify, was this a new CX30+ paddle set you were having an issue with, or was it an original CX30 pair?

The new CX30+ but the bizarre thing about it is Super Breakout is the only paddle game it’s jittery with. I use those same set of paddles for all the paddle games and they work great!

I was playing quite a bit of Super Breakout and had no issue.

Posted (edited)

I updated both the firmware and the dumper and I cannot get Pitfall 2 to load. Most of the time it's not even detected. I got it to load once but it was a garbled mess.

Also, paddles are smooth on all games except Super Breakout as reported by others.

Just wondering, are melody board games compatibility still being worked on?

Edited by Billiesan