IGNORED

Experimental 2600+ Firmware and Dumper

raz0red

Well, the whole discussion about PC/MAC forgets that AtariAge forum /hobbyists tweaking their 2600+ units are not enough for commercial success of 2600+. You need to sell a lot more, especially in US. 
MACs take something between 15% to 20% share of US personal computer market. As Atari is selling probably most of 2600+ units in US, this is what you need to consider. Will investing resources into Mac update improve market shares and help to establish more sustainable 2600+ ecosystem? 
The other approach would be to built 2600++, which will be updatable via the USB port. :😛

• Like 3

I think it's less that folks forget, and more that they may actively disagree about how much the 2600+ needs such widespread appeal to be viable and/or whether those outside our niche will be bothered by the limitations (without the firmware upgrades) we've been talking about.

No one here (I don't think) disagrees with there being value in making upgrades as widely accessible as viable. But there's room (IMHO) to talk about what effort really is viable, and what's putting a lot of money and effort into something that may not have as much payoff as others think.

8 hours ago, MarcinJ said:

The other approach would be to built 2600++, which will be updatable via the USB port. :😛

That should have been the initial approach along with a user-accessible menu via some kind of special switch+button combo. The amount of time being spent on an update which fixes a lot of issues suggests to me that the release was a bit rushed and probably should have come out this year. Certainly the testing wasn’t as extensive as it could have been. Obviously I don’t have details to indicate why this is, but lessons learned and all that I’m sure.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/10/2024 at 12:21 PM, Sean_1970 said:

That should have been the initial approach along with a user-accessible menu via some kind of special switch+button combo. The amount of time being spent on an update which fixes a lot of issues suggests to me that the release was a bit rushed and probably should have come out this year. Certainly the testing wasn’t as extensive as it could have been. Obviously I don’t have details to indicate why this is, but lessons learned and all that I’m sure.

It's normal in the industry to release hardware and patch it later. Hell, they even do it for video games these days. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 5/10/2024 at 1:21 PM, Sean_1970 said:

The way they released it was fine. The continued updates have been great. There’s literally no such thing as a perfect 100% compatible retro game console right out of the box. Hell, even different revisions of the original 2600 and 7800 consoles have varying incompatibilities with certain games that were never fixed through the life of the console.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet
  • Like 6

12 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

The original heavy sixer has compatibility problems with certain bank switching schemes that weren't envisioned yet when it was originally released.

You know I have a 2600 jr and Spider Fighter has a glitch i think it’s the score or the name. I have multiple carts and every Spider Fighter game has the same glitch only on the jr. They play fine on other systems. Like Time Pilot looked like before the update for the 2600+

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MrChickenz said:

You know I have a 2600 jr and Spider Fighter has a glitch i think it’s the score or the name. I have multiple carts and every Spider Fighter game has the same glitch only on the jr. They play fine on other systems. Like Time Pilot looked like before the update for the 2600+

My Coleco Gemini had the same glitch.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

My Coleco Gemini had the same glitch.

You had the Gemini? That was my first Atari system. I stared with Colecovision. I purchased the Gemini from Sears a couple years later. Instead of buying the 2600 adapter for the Colecovision. I thought the controllers were great! Of course the Atari paddles were the best

Edited by MrChickenz

9 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

The way they released it was fine. The continued updates have been great. There’s literally no such thing as a perfect 100% compatible retro game console right out of the box. Hell, even different revisions of the original 2600 and 7800 consoles have varying incompatibilities with certain games that were never fixed through the life of the console.

That's why Stella allows emulating these incompatibilities. Which is mainly meant for developers. 

options_developer_tia.png.fa3ff575a5170a546937a96ce6c114f8.png

image.png.24379ffa5d8f94bc98c080086ef20a35.png

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

That's why Stella allows emulating these incompatibilities. Which is mainly meant for developers. 

options_developer_tia.png.fa3ff575a5170a546937a96ce6c114f8.png

image.png.24379ffa5d8f94bc98c080086ef20a35.png

Stella has a Time Machine tab! Is there a tab for the touchpad?

Edited by MrChickenz

On 4/30/2024 at 3:01 AM, CPUWIZ said:

I love self entitled people who complain about free stuff, they usually don't last long enough to be a real nuisance.

Ain't free stuff.  I paid the same two hundred everyone else did.

For a product with mislabelled difficulty switches.

On 5/11/2024 at 4:17 PM, tradyblix said:

It's normal in the industry to release hardware and patch it later. Hell, they even do it for video games these days. 

It's normal for a product to now be nine months out of date with a tentative maybe patch on a forum not listed anywhere in the manual?

• Like 2

On 5/12/2024 at 1:35 PM, MrChickenz said:

Stella has a Time Machine tab!

Yup. For quite some years now. RTFM! :D 

On 5/12/2024 at 1:35 PM, MrChickenz said:

Is there a tab for the touchpad?

For what would you need that tab?

• Haha 1