IGNORED

Experimental 2600+ Firmware and Dumper

raz0red

21 minutes ago, Bitsized said:

I just did it for probably the 4th time. This one was the easiest yet because I’ve done it so many times now. The process isn’t difficult at all just have to remember the switch placement for firmware (always color for firmware) the dumper stays the same so you only have to do the firmware pass. 

played Omega Race for the first time with the gampad, but it DID make me curious about the intended experience with the booster grip. 

Omega Race in my opinion is much better with the game pad. This is the way it should have been.

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 4

My apologies if anyone else asked this already.

I have not upgraded my 2600+ with the experimental firmware yet. I am curious to know if SECAM cartridges can be detected by the 2600+. The information I found tells me that because the number of scanlines are the same as PAL Stella must be switched to the SECAM pallette manually...

I have 2 SECAM carts (more of them are coming): Keystone Kapers and Space Shuttle.

On my SECAM darth vader Keystone Kapers looks like this:

Keystone_kapers_secam.jpg.5f0a468ad9eca6f677826137bbe441df.jpg

On the 2600+ and any other PAL 2600 the same cartridge looks like this:

Keystone_kapers_2600plus.jpg.85e62b34f17c72bc2b12e58d2c88c46a.jpg

On my SECAM darth vader Space Shuttle looks like this:

Space_shuttle_secam.jpg.169425d04f888f818692f0b6bdee9afd.jpg

On the 2600+ and any other PAL 2600 the same cartridge looks like this:

Space_shuttle_2600plus.jpg.84af85dcf8974060ae7fd56679df18c6.jpg

I know the SECAM 2600 only uses a color pallette of 8 colors and is hardcoded to the luminance value of the color.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fred_M said:

I am curious to know if SECAM cartridges can be detected by the 2600+.

My guess is also that Stella auto-detects these SECAM rom-dumps as PAL, because of the 50Hz refresh rate. That explains the colors you are seeing.

A fix for this would require a change which forces these rom-dumps to be detected as SECAM, similar to how some PAL60 cartridges are now supported - i.e. using their MD5 hash.

Edited by Dionoid
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Dionoid said:

A fix for this would require a change which forces these rom-dumps to be detected as SECAM, similar to how some PAL60 cartridges are now supported - i.e. using their MD5 hash.

Indeed, @Fred_M if you are able to run the debug build with the cartridge, it will provide the MD5 data on the screen.  Provide a capture of that, and the database can be updated to recognize those cartridge ROMs as SECAM.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Trebor said:

Indeed, @Fred_M if you are able to run the debug build with the cartridge, it will provide the MD5 data on the screen.  Provide a capture of that, and the database can be updated to recognize those cartridge ROMs as SECAM.

I can do that, no problem. Besides Space Shuttle and Keystone Kapers, I bought Gorf, Venture and Decathlon too. They will be delivered in a week or so.

So, if I understand it correctly, with the MD5 hash you tell Stella/2600+ to run these games in SECAM? So you are using its unique identification and that is stored in Stella?

For French peope out there: on CBS cartridges the label specifically states for SECAM systems and on Activision cartridges a small diamond shaped sticker with the letter S is on the label. Hopefully more of these will turn up.

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Fred_M said:

I can do that, no problem. Besides Space Shuttle and Keystone Kapers, I bought Gorf, Venture and Decathlon too. They will be delivered in a week or so.

So, if I understand it correctly, with the MD5 hash you tell Stella/2600+ to run these games in SECAM? So you are using its unique identification and that is stored in Stella?

For French peope out there: on CBS cartridges the label specifically states for SECAM systems and on Activision cartridges a small diamond shaped sticker with the letter S is on the label. Hopefully more of these will turn up.

Interesting🤔

How many Secam carts do exist?

Do PAL carts run on a Secam Console?

4 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Interesting🤔

I mean, I quite like the super saturated look - same kind of vibes as a spectrum 48k. Be good to make the hash trigger the cart to display secam.

But then again, this guy was gutted at figuring out his original 2600 was a secam 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Interesting🤔

That is very difficult to tell. I found 2 lists on the internet and they don't match.

List 1:

Blue-Print
Carnival
Decathlon, The Activision
Donkey Kong
Ghostbusters
H.E.R.O.
Keystone Kapers
River Raid
Space Invaders
Space Shuttle
Venture
Wizard of Wor
Zaxxon

Source: https://www.ataricompendium.com/faq/vcs_scanlines.html

Personally I am not convinced there is a SECAM Space Invaders out there, it is the only Atari game in the list and I think more people should have known about it.

List 2 is ofcourse Atarimania

Activision Decathlon (The)
Blueprint
Carnival
Donkey Kong
Gorf
H.E.R.O.
Keystone Kapers
River Raid
Schtroumpfs
Space Shuttle - A Journey into Space
Venture
Wizard of Wor
X-Man
Zaxxon

source: https://www.atarimania.com/list_games_atari-2600-vcs-secam_format_4_2_G.html

Besides my 5 games (Space Shuttle, Keystone Kapers, Venture, Gorf, Decathlon) I have seen Schtroumpfs (=Smurfs), Wizard of Wor and H.E.R.O. for sale (the seller wants 50 Euros for the Hero cart), so they exist definitely.

And do PAL carts work on a SECAM console? Yes, but with only 8 colors and they not match the intended colors. There are many examples on Youtube.

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Re: Great job and PAL 7800 Crossbow issues

Thank you for the continued excellent work with improving the Atari 2600+ dumper and firmware.  I have updated to the latest dumper x.03 and firmware 1.1x-r6. Everything that I have tested works perfectly (after I get the challenging carts aligned perfectly, I’m talking to you, Activision and Parker Brothers) so far, except for my 7800 Crossbow.

I’m certain that it is a PAL 7800 cart because the label says it’s made in China. All my other PAL 7800 carts I have are made in China or Hong Kong. I have Taiwanese made NTSC 7800 carts. I don’t have a PAL 7800 unit to test PAL carts with. All my other 7800 NTSC and PAL carts work with the patched 2600+.

When I run the 7800 Crossbow cart, it indicates that its running at around 60 fps. I have taken a picture of the cart label, a picture of the md5, and a short video of first level game play. The characters and cross-hair appear as blocks, along with other graphical anomalies. Also, I hear no audio for this game.

Is this a 2600+ compatibility issue or my cart? I hope the md5 can help solve this issue.

md5 and label pics

PXL_20240715_230108272.thumb.jpg.51b790930887aabcba0b3c02d12e7740.jpg                                    PXL_20240715_230905115.thumb.jpg.e519e8e11ae015b7dd293b5f36adcdeb.jpg

mp4 video of issues

2 hours ago, atwwong said:

Is this a 2600+ compatibility issue or my cart? I hope the md5 can help solve this issue.

Compatibility issue:

"There's a known issue with dumping 7800 Crossbow with certain carts, where 16k of data isn't able to dump."

Other 7800 Crossbow carts work perfectly fine and dump without issue.  Hopefully, it will be possible to rectify this issue in the near future.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, DhaemonX said:

R5 Dumper #2 Empire Strikes back has some weird horizontal lines that creep on the left side edge of the screen. Some lines jut out more than others. 

Anyone else getting this? 

That's part of the actual Game, is present in a lot of 2600 games

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, DhaemonX said:

R5 Dumper #2 Empire Strikes back has some weird horizontal lines that creep on the left side edge of the screen. Some lines jut out more than others. 

Do you even Atari bro? 😋🤣

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, DhaemonX said:

It's related to the HW design and programming skills/tricks, so it should be normal.

https://www.wired.com/2009/03/racing-the-beam/#:~:text=If you've ever seen,the screen%2C leaving it blank.

"If you've ever seen little black lines appear at the left edge of the screen while you're playing a VCS game, those are bits of the game's code where the program is taking too much time doing other calculations, and it can't draw on the screen, leaving it blank"

Edited by DEANJIMMY
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DhaemonX said:

Don’t listen to them.  Use the Force! YOU ARE NOT SEEING THOSE LINES! 😄

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Trebor said:

Here you are!

This is Keystone Kapers SECAM:

keystone_kapers_hash.thumb.jpg.fdfacc5c82af565c39c5e00264a7ae7b.jpg

And this is Space Shuttle SECAM:

space_shuttle_hash.thumb.jpg.7616a4da37acc6b955b1d9db35b0c178.jpg

I will provide the md5 data of the other SECAM games I have ordered when I have received them.

On 7/9/2024 at 12:33 AM, Uncle Flip said:

Hi there. I recently got 2 "Off The Wall" PAL carts. I get the message "game not detected" on both of them. I've done up to the most recent experimental firmware updates on my 2600+. 1.1x r3

Perhaps I'd need to try an alternate update? 

Does anyone know anything about this?

I had the same problem with older firmware. The Off the Wall (PAL) cartridge did not complete the loading cycle, even after cleaning it several times, while it works perfecty on a real (old) 2600. I just checked my Off the Wall cart with r6 and it works fine now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

Don’t listen to them.  Use the Force! YOU ARE NOT SEEING THOSE LINES! 😄

DhaemonX: I see some black lines.

Ben Kenobi: You don’t need to see the black lines.

Stormtrooper: We don’t need to see the black lines.

Ben Kenobi: These aren’t the lines you’re looking for.

Stormtrooper: These aren’t the lines we’re looking for.

Ben Kenobi: He can go about his business, play some Atari.

Stormtrooper: You can go about your business, play some Atari.

Ben Kenobi: Move along, go play River Raid.

Stormtrooper: Move along. Move along, go play River Raid.

DhaemonX: But what about those black lines!? Oh, River Raid doesn't have them.

:P

(All good natured fun, fellow Atarians)

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Fred_M said:

Here you are!

This is Keystone Kapers SECAM:

keystone_kapers_hash.thumb.jpg.fdfacc5c82af565c39c5e00264a7ae7b.jpg

And this is Space Shuttle SECAM:

space_shuttle_hash.thumb.jpg.7616a4da37acc6b955b1d9db35b0c178.jpg

I will provide the md5 data of the other SECAM games I have ordered when I have received them.

I would actually love a couple of SECAM carts, just for the novelty.

14 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

I would actually love a couple of SECAM carts, just for the novelty.

Go to Ebay or other marketplaces and look for French sellers, the cartridges are quite easy to spot 😀

dk_secam.thumb.jpg.f7f9c4baf499250218d14b24a6382e20.jpg

hero_secam.thumb.jpg.e191f9e31ecf79612e804eb2993733c5.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

I was looking just now, they seem pricey!

Depends on where you are looking. The Dutch "Vinted" is connected to the French one (I know UK's Vinted is not connected to the EU). Prices there are a bit lower and the shipping costs of Vinted are much less than regular shipping companies. I bought Gorf, Venture and Decathlon for € 27 including shipping to The Netherlands.

Space Shuttle and Keystone Kapers were in a bigger lot of 15 carts, I payed € 33 for the lot including shipping. I bought my SECAM darth vader there for € 18 including shippping, but that was a real bargain 🤣 Normally I will not go above € 5 for 1 cartridge, but I like Stella/2600+ to support as many cartridges as possible 😉

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 1