IGNORED

Experimental 2600+ Firmware and Dumper

raz0red

47 minutes ago, tradyblix said:

Anyone else having trouble with Nexar on the latest build ? 

I've cleaned it well and it looks clean, but it only seems to load to garbled screens. 

The cart is a non-standard cart, so that might be why, I know the original dumper doesn't do well with them sometimes. 

It also has a pesky slide cover. 

I'll try mine shortly, I have an NTSC copy. 👍🏻

• Like 1

On 7/16/2024 at 3:20 PM, Fred_M said:

This is Keystone Kapers SECAM:

keystone_kapers_hash.thumb.jpg.fdfacc5c82af565c39c5e00264a7ae7b.jpg

And this is Space Shuttle SECAM:

space_shuttle_hash.thumb.jpg.7616a4da37acc6b955b1d9db35b0c178.jpg

I will provide the md5 data of the other SECAM games I have ordered when I have received them.

@raz0red And here the md5 data of Decathlon SECAM

md5_decathlon_secam.thumb.jpg.3a4b30c853ed433256bfd5166483e7a2.jpg

I also received Gorf for SECAM, but when I loaded it, I saw no difference in colors. So I compared the MD5 of the SECAM version with the PAL version and they are the same. Hopefully this is a mistake made by CBS, else the probability exists that CBS SECAM and PAL cartridges are the same...

I also ordered Venture for SECAM, but I did not look closely enough when I bought it. It turns out that I bought the PAL version 🤣

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Fred_M said:

@raz0red And here the md5 data of Decathlon SECAM

md5_decathlon_secam.thumb.jpg.3a4b30c853ed433256bfd5166483e7a2.jpg

I also received Gorf for SECAM, but when I loaded it, I saw no difference in colors. So I compared the MD5 of the SECAM version with the PAL version and they are the same. Hopefully this is a mistake made by CBS, else the probability exists that CBS SECAM and PAL cartridges are the same...

I also ordered Venture for SECAM, but I did not look closely enough when I bought it. It turns out that I bought the PAL version 🤣

Thanks for this. I will post River Raid SECAM when it arrives. I think I'd probably like Keystone Kapers SECAM, but I need to find one first, and at a reasonable price. 

That will then probably be enough SECAM for me. 

EDIT:

Looking at your partial screenshots, the SECAM game just display in black and white then? Well, a tiny bit of green on Decathlon. 

Edited by JetmanUK

I find it funny that with SECAM games there is sometimes a non grey colour left on PAL/NTSC machines. With my little knowledge, I think because of just 8 colours to choose, the colour numbers are set $00 to $0F, so these are shades of black to white at PAL/NTSC

(shown here: https://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-tia-color-charts.html )

But what about the left non gray colours? Where they accidentally a similar colour so they just didn‘t changed the address?

15 hours ago, tradyblix said:

Anyone else having trouble with Nexar on the latest build ? 

I've cleaned it well and it looks clean, but it only seems to load to garbled screens. 

The cart is a non-standard cart, so that might be why, I know the original dumper doesn't do well with them sometimes. 

It also has a pesky slide cover. 

I can confirm that my NTSC Nexar works fine on the latest firmware and dumper.

Howdy all, just got a NOS copy of Choplifter for the 7800. When I launch it with the 2600+ I get a black screen. I did update the firmware about a month ago - should I try the latest?

P.S. how do I tell if it’s PAL or NTSC?

Edited by ArgonV

On 7/24/2024 at 10:26 PM, JetmanUK said:

The dumper app screenshot shows 'undetected'. I take it it successfully installed first? It shows undetected before and after an installation. You saw 'detected' and hit download I take it? 

You have to flick the correct switch too to get your PC to detect the console. 

The update process went smooth for me except for the dumper part because the 2600+ would always disconnect after 60 seconds.

I was lucky when, after connecting it for the first time, I went back reading the instructions again before hitting the "Download" button and then suddenly heard the typical Windows diconnect sound. It would behave exactly the same way everytime I connected it afterwards.

So, a tight time slot given, it's good that the actual process of updating the dumper only takes a couple of seconds. I figured it would be well within the 60 seconds to connect the device, start the tool, check if "Status detected" is green and complete the update.

It worked well.

Since nobody else reported such an issue (I'm on Windows 11) I think that's my laptop's method of dealing with the 2600+ .

2 hours ago, ArgonV said:

Howdy all, just got a NOS copy of Choplifter for the 7800. When I launch it with the 2600+ I get a black screen. I did update the firmware about a month ago - should I try the latest?

Choplifter works, I have a copy. If you have loading to black screen, you have to try aggressively cleaning the contacts. 

PAL games have a "P" sticker on the back, but sometimes they're missing. 

I only have one game so far I've failed to get working that others report working after cleaning, sometimes multiple attempts, but it can happen, in that case, it might be the cart, etc. 

Edited by tradyblix

3 hours ago, ArgonV said:

My Choplifter PAL 7800 works fine with the 2600+. I use the latest firmware R6.

Sadly you cannot identify PAL or NTSC 7800 cartridges without running it. If you use the debug firmware you will get a line of cartridge information on top of the screen. There you can see if the cartridge is running at 50hz (PAL)or 60hz (NTSC).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fred_M said:

My Choplifter PAL 7800 works fine with the 2600+. I use the latest firmware R6.

Sadly you cannot identify PAL or NTSC 7800 cartridges without running it. If you use the debug firmware you will get a line of cartridge information on top of the screen. There you can see if the cartridge is running at 50hz (PAL)or 60hz (NTSC).

Sometimes (and historically) the detection and framerate has been wrong tho right ? So not sure if that's foolproof method either. 

1 hour ago, N0mi said:

Since nobody else reported such an issue (I'm on Windows 11) I think that's my laptop's method of dealing with the 2600+ .

I had the same experience when I tried to update the dumper part. I also switched screens to read the instructions and the 2600+ disconnected after some time. So I decided to read the instructions first and update the dumper part immedeatly after the 2600+ connected to my laptop (Win 11 too).

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, tradyblix said:

Sometimes (and historically) the detection and framerate has been wrong tho right ? So not sure if that's foolproof method either. 

Maybe, I don't know. I tested about 450 cartridges (2600 and 7800) with firmware 1.1 R6 and the detection (PAL/NTSC) was correct.

The only other way to test is to use real PAL and NTSC hardware. Sadly Atari made a big mess separating PAL and NTSC releases back in the day. Especially in the nineties Atari tried to make some money by selling their stock using any materials they already had. Even PAL games were put in NTSC boxes to be sold everywhere. Without a P-sticker or PAL/P on the label you can never be sure (ofcourse it is possible that people made their own P-stickers and stick it on the back of any cartridge......)

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks on the Choplifter advice! I took the cart apart and cleaned the board. Put it all back together afterwards and it's booting now! Very odd since it was essentially new out of the box...

Also had that experience of the console disconnecting after a while when I plug it into my Win10 PC. I just did the dumper part asap after detection.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

Thanks for this. I will post River Raid SECAM when it arrives. I think I'd probably like Keystone Kapers SECAM, but I need to find one first, and at a reasonable price. 

That will then probably be enough SECAM for me. 

EDIT:

Looking at your partial screenshots, the SECAM game just display in black and white then? Well, a tiny bit of green on Decathlon. 

It is almost black and white only 😉

DSC03982.thumb.JPG.5f98ad6d838ea0c30e609bafae04cd66.JPG

And this is how it looks on a SECAM 2600

DSC03985.thumb.JPG.49fb996d93287e124065f278233c8bca.JPG

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fred_M said:

Maybe, I don't know. I tested about 450 cartridges (2600 and 7800) with firmware 1.1 R6 and the detection (PAL/NTSC) was correct.

The only other way to test is to use real PAL and NTSC hardware. Sadly Atari made a big mess separating PAL and NTSC releases back in the day. Especially in the nineties Atari tried to make some money by selling their stock using any materials they already had. Even PAL games were put in NTSC boxes to be sold everywhere. Without a P-sticker or PAL/P on the label you can never be sure (ofcourse it is possible that people made their own P-stickers and stick it on the back of any cartridge......)

You have tested 450 carts on the 2600+?

20 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

You have tested 450 carts on the 2600+?

I think many of us will have tested hundreds, I've tested just under 550 carts, some are PAL and NTSC versions of the same game, and I have some dupes from buying bundles too, so less actual games than 550, but still.

We are crazy on here Ben, haven't you noticed?! 💁🏻🤣😋

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

I think many of us will have tested hundreds, I've tested just under 550 carts, some are PAL and NTSC versions of the same game, and I have some dupes from buying bundles too, so less actual games than 550, but still.

We are crazy on here Ben, haven't you noticed?! 💁🏻🤣😋

Nothing crazy about it at all, dedication, a search for perfection, great ambition, love it.

Edited by Ben from Plaion
  • Like 5