IGNORED

Experimental 2600+ Firmware and Dumper

raz0red

On 8/2/2024 at 1:08 AM, DarthDuke said:

Thanks for the tip.  I tried that. Didn't seem to help.  Good to know in advance that the firmware wont work before I tried it.  Websites that host these firmwares are very unhelpful when it comes to letting you know what they will work for and how to install them. I guess they assume all their readers are coders or something and already know. 

The very first post of this thread has all of the details of every release re: what works now, etc, and is updated every time a new one is released.

1 hour ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

The community released firmwares are literally being built by Plaion. This site right here that you are posting on is where they are being released. The most recent one is only 2 weeks old.

They are not going to reach out individually to every person who bought the console in January and let them know personally there is an update available, especially if you bought it from Amazon and Atari/Plaion don’t even know who those people are.

when a major update is released it will eventually be posted on Atari.com, but to use the word “abandoned” in regards to a console that has only be out for 8 months and had new games and controllers released a month ago is just…. Silly. 

I was just asking a simple question. No need to get your panties in a bunch.

I never said that the community released firmware is taking a long time.  I was just asking about the CX21 to see if anything more was know about adding compatibility for it.

It does state the following in the opening post in this thread. Therefore a person can't exactly know that these experimental firmware are being worked on by Plaion when there is disclaimer saying that they are from Atari or Plaion.

Having 2 threads for firmware.  Official and this other "Experimental" non official tread is a bit confusing.

On 2/17/2024 at 11:56 PM, raz0red said:

Caveats and Disclaimers:

• These builds are experimental, not official Atari/Plaion releases, so please use at your own risk

- When you have an official that going that isn't updated by representative from Plaion to communicate what the status is on the firmware and still calling it beta it makes it seem like no further work on the firmware is being done by them.  8 months is a long time without communicating.

- If the official firmware thread is out of date now and Plaion of going to use the firmware being developed by the community it make make since to close the official thread and then state in this thread that Plaion and the community are working together of firmware release as opposed to a disclaimer that Atari/Plaion have nothing to do with the firmware.

- Not expecting Plain or Atari to reach out to anyone about firmware updates. That sort of thing is the responsibly of the consumer to keep they equipment updated

- It doesn't matter to me if the firmware updates come from the community or Plaion so long as it continues to grow the capabilities of the Atari 2600 and product and continues to add compatibility features

Edited by Tidus79001

1 hour ago, Tidus79001 said:

- Not expecting Plain or Atari to reach out to anyone about firmware updates. That sort of thing is the responsibly of the consumer to keep they equipment updated

3 hours ago, Tidus79001 said:

That is good hear they are still working on update.  Not trying to accuse Plain of abandoning the Atari 2600+ but just hadn't heard anything from them since January and have seen a few community released firmware updates.  No trying rush anyone it.  Just was checking to see what was known about the CX21 compatibility or the possibility of it in a future firmware update.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet
clarity

Sorry - Meant to add a comment but this forum software is a bit... lacking sometimes.

I was merely reacting to your original comment about "hadn't heard anything from them since January" which read, to my eyes, like you were expecting someone to reach out.

Maybe I misread it. Maybe it could have been worded differently. Either way, I see now what you meant.

Don't mind me, I'm just the curmudgeon who gets easily tired of people relatively new people coming here dropping negative vibes like Atari and Plaion aren't actively participating in this whole process. Ben has been exceedingly great at being 120% here for the community. We're all anxious to get new/better features for this console, myself included.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet
edited for atrocious grammar.
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, Tidus79001 said:

I never said that the community released firmware is taking a long time.  I was just asking about the CX21 to see if anything more was know about adding compatibility for it.

It does state the following in the opening post in this thread. Therefore a person can't exactly know that these experimental firmware are being worked on by Plaion when there is disclaimer saying that they are from Atari or Plaion.

Having 2 threads for firmware.  Official and this other "Experimental" non official tread is a bit confusing.

- When you have an official that going that isn't updated by representative from Plaion to communicate what the status is on the firmware and still calling it beta it makes it seem like no further work on the firmware is being done by them.  8 months is a long time without communicating.

- If the official firmware thread is out of date now and Plaion of going to use the firmware being developed by the community it make make since to close the official thread and then state in this thread that Plaion and the community are working together of firmware release as opposed to a disclaimer that Atari/Plaion have nothing to do with the firmware.

- It doesn't matter to me if the firmware updates come from the community or Plaion so long as it continues to grow the capabilities of the Atari 2600 and product and continues to add compatibility features

The 'community' built experimental software and the 'official' software is one and the same thing. Experimental 1.7 emulation and dumper firmware will be shipped as 'official' 2.0 version on restocks of the 2600+ at Christmas. Already earlier this year, stocks have been manufactured and sent to retail with the latest experimental builds loaded onto them.

We had some fires to put out after launch with the firmware and thats why we got Beta 1.1 pretty quick. Then after that Raz0red and friends carried on with the experimental incremental builds, in some cases re-writing large parts of code.

The only thing stopping there being an 'official' release of software is that the updating experience is somewhat rough and ready, doesnt scream like a first party experience. I've made a bit of progress with improving the process, but its slow going and not easy.

The software threads we'll clean up and de-sticky the beta one soon to avoid confusion.

• Like 14

Well, the latest one is working pretty fantastically For me.

I just wish I could get this nexar cart working. I don't really feel like buying another one.

All I can get it to do is load to garbage, which makes me think it's close to working....

2 hours ago, tradyblix said:

Well, the latest one is working pretty fantastically For me.

I just wish I could get this nexar cart working. I don't really feel like buying another one.

All I can get it to do is load to garbage, which makes me think it's close to working....

Do you have the debug info?

Thanks,

Chris.

43 minutes ago, tradyblix said:

No, but I could find some time to get it for ya, if it would help.

Other people reported it working here tho. But maybe my cart is special. 

Yeah, that would be great.

Being able to see why some work and others fail with debug info would really help to resolve it.

Thanks,

Chris.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ducko said:

😴💤Dreaming of a fix for Circus Atari and Super Breakout Paddle Fix….😴 💤

My Circus Atari works great. What issue does yours have?
Super Breakout is playable for me but does have that incremental movement. 

Kaboom is off as well. The paddles don’t seem to respond quickly enough for this game.

Hopefully a Firmware Update will remedy these issues.

All my other paddle games work great!

• Like 1

So, it took me maybe an hour to find the source code to the Rockwell tool that flashes via USB OTG, my Mac ARM tools are too new and it is spitting out some compile errors for deprecated shit, but that isn't that hard to fix.  I bet it would compile on my Intel MacBook Pro though.  

When I have a serious block of time, I may make this work myself and it should work a bit easier than the off the shelf tool for Windows.

IMG_7688.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ducko said:

😴💤Dreaming of a fix for Circus Atari and Super Breakout Paddle Fix….😴 💤

Really, that problem (apart from the disappearance of the sprites) is the only one that affects me now with the latest update.

(For me) the day they improve the response of the paddles and implement the 50/60Hz and phosphor effect menu, it will be perfect for me.
(apart from support for driving controls and keypad)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, AtariYMás009 said:

Really, that problem (apart from the disappearance of the sprites) is the only one that affects me now with the latest update.

(For me) the day they improve the response of the paddles and implement the 50/60Hz and phosphor effect menu, it will be perfect for me.
(apart from support for driving controls and keypad)

Just to mention Trakball😉

• Like 2

It has been reported in another thread that problems with the 2 PAK SPECIAL carts exist.

I tested my two carts and both work on a 2600 but fail on the 2600+, both PAL.

The green one with black screen and the blue one with rubbish on the screen.

If you remove them the screen does not get updated. If you insert a working cart(!) it gets loaded.

I thought the green one worked on earlier releases but I am not sure to be honest.

20240806_222434.jpg

20240806_222410.jpg

20240806_222213.jpg

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

It has been reported in another thread that problems with the 2 PAK SPECIAL carts exist.

I tested my two carts and both work on a 2600 but fail on the 2600+, both PAL.

The green one with black screen and the blue one with rubbish on the screen.

If you remove them the screen does not get updated. If you insert a working cart(!) it gets loaded.

I thought the green one worked on earlier releases but I am not sure to be honest.

20240806_222434.jpg

20240806_222410.jpg

20240806_222213.jpg

In addition to the two I tried earlier I coincidentally ordered these three, which are still on their way from Germany:

Screenshot_2024-08-06-21-48-56-358_com_ebay.mobile-edit.thumb.jpg.356afc29049ddb16929e2caa01b13ecd.jpg

Screenshot_2024-08-06-21-48-10-004_com_ebay.mobile-edit.thumb.jpg.a44029b3a53c4f440ac3f7086c8cd9cc.jpg

Screenshot_2024-08-06-21-47-38-231_com_ebay.mobile-edit.thumb.jpg.78987ddd0b2e1e7f2a85f473a487145c.jpg

Let's see if any work. If any don't, hopefully they can be made to. 😊

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

In addition to the two I tried earlier I coincidentally ordered these three, which are still on their way from Germany:

Screenshot_2024-08-06-21-48-56-358_com_ebay.mobile-edit.thumb.jpg.356afc29049ddb16929e2caa01b13ecd.jpg

Screenshot_2024-08-06-21-48-10-004_com_ebay.mobile-edit.thumb.jpg.a44029b3a53c4f440ac3f7086c8cd9cc.jpg

Screenshot_2024-08-06-21-47-38-231_com_ebay.mobile-edit.thumb.jpg.78987ddd0b2e1e7f2a85f473a487145c.jpg

The blue one never worked for me on the plus but I believe I once got the menu displayed for the green one.

These carts should start with a menu to select one of the two games...

Just now, DEANJIMMY said:

The blue one never worked for me on the plus but I believe I once got the menu displayed for the green one.

These carts should start with a menu to select one of the two games...

Yes, the two I already have start with a menu too. 

Do you (or anyone else) know the origin of these carts? They appear to be quite bootleg/pirate in appearance, new names given to some of the games, but they seem widespread and have a copyright notice on the menu screen. What's the story with them? 

On 8/4/2024 at 5:39 PM, Tidus79001 said:

No comment lol 

1 hour ago, JetmanUK said:

Ah yes, the classic genres of Star Warriors, Dungeon Masters, and um... Wall defenders. lol 

Edited by tradyblix

I think the problem with the 2 paks is that in some cases they have what appear to be duped banks (from the dumper’s perspective). 

This causes them to dump as 8k vs. 16k, etc. I will reach out and we can collect some debug info to verify and hopefully get a build together to resolve it.

Thanks,

Chris.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, raz0red said:

Yeah, that would be great.

Being able to see why some work and others fail with debug info would really help to resolve it.

Thanks,

Chris.

Okay @raz0red, here ya go. 

Figured I'd be helpful (?) for once :) 

nexar_debug_screen.jpg

nexar_cart.jpg

Edited by tradyblix
updated quote
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, tradyblix said:

Okay @raz0red, here ya go. 

Figured I'd be helpful (?) for once :) 

nexar_debug_screen.jpg

nexar_cart.jpg

@raz0red

To help, here is the MD5 info of my working PAL cartridge of The Challenge of Nexar.

DSC04032.thumb.JPG.3f6cc3985135af7908141b4deaca2c9f.JPG

And my cartridge:

DSC04033.thumb.JPG.e8363208bdbd21be88d498e94013ac17.JPG

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 2

Did anybody notice that the time of Knight Guy gets decreased in room 8 by more than 20 minutes?

It jumps from 59 to 36 🙄

Happens on previous experimental loads too.

Need to check tomorrow if that happens on my PAL 7800 too🤔

20240807_231145.jpg

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Did anybody notice that the time of Knight Guy gets decreased in room 8 by more than 20 minutes?

It jumps from 59 to 36 🙄

Happens on previous experimental loads too.

Need to check tomorrow if that happens on my PAL 7800 too🤔

20240807_231145.jpg

I've never played this. What is it? Knight Guy!