IGNORED

Experimental 2600+ Firmware and Dumper

raz0red

i havent been following this in a long time as for some reason all traces of the facebook page have vanished and i dont have the time being busy alot to boot up my laptop and come onto the forums here that said is there a new version official release anywhere out there newer than that of the 1.2 or whatever that was released a year or 2 ago slightly after the christmas season?

@raz0red

My new three new 2 Pak Specials have arrived, so now I have five in total. One works, two do not. From my original two, one does not work, so here are the total of three currently unsupported carts:

1) Star Warrior & Frogger

IMG_20240810_141424.thumb.jpg.8aab94f206daf4c8bd93c369f0601089.jpg

IMG_20240810_141415.thumb.jpg.59c84a00614e2b5cdc023f7eec5407fd.jpg

2) Dolphin & Pigs 'n' Wolf (This worked on an earlier firmware)

IMG_20240810_141853.thumb.jpg.4af366cdb3a9b9573ae84d4c07910c97.jpg

IMG_20240810_141847.thumb.jpg.cb339084395dedadaed8e3cfb87c9af4.jpg

3) Planet Patrol & Wall Defender

IMG_20240810_144104.thumb.jpg.3eb830cfcdedbf55afa0d3de5fa23345.jpg

However this cart just causes a black screen, so I can't share the debug info. The console has to be reset to come back to life

All three work on my original hardware.

These two work fine:

IMG_20240810_143023.thumb.jpg.976dea3378c80ca469d4ae66828bfe47.jpg

Just in case it helps here's the info from the two functional carts:

IMG_20240810_150631.thumb.jpg.34c9af7b5904c4a9247c7ce9bd816993.jpg

IMG_20240810_150557.thumb.jpg.2693517fd4f94cc14dd238b87bb45de5.jpg

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

Ben posted this previously. This video steps you through the process thoroughly and you can pause as your going through the process.

Just be sure to use the latest Firmware and Dumper update from this Thread.

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/360038-atari-2600-beta-update-11-rev-2/?do=findComment&comment=5397599

Well I followed this to the letter and .. we have an updated FW, wohoo! Thank you to everyone who pitched it with advice :)

I will say that installing the device driver happened but I heard no system sounds and didn't know what it was in the device manager until I watched the vid. Anyways, all good now.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Cody2000 said:

i havent been following this in a long time as for some reason all traces of the facebook page have vanished and i dont have the time being busy alot to boot up my laptop and come onto the forums here that said is there a new version official release anywhere out there newer than that of the 1.2 or whatever that was released a year or 2 ago slightly after the christmas season?

Read the 1st post of this thread, you will find everything there.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

@raz0red

My new three new 2 Pak Specials have arrived, so now I have five in total. One works, two do not. From my original two, one does not work, so here are the total of three currently unsupported carts:

However this cart just causes a black screen, so I can't share the debug info. The console has to be reset to come back to look life

These two work fine:

@raz0red

Please note that my copy of "Dolphin & Pigs 'n' Wolf" (which does not work either on the 2600+, but does work on real hw) has a completely different MD5 hash

md5_2pak_dolphin_wolf.jpg.1875335d6a7bce364b413dbca21c0273.thumb.jpg.f773c070d1ab67651949f66d8cceaac6.jpg

I also have the 2 pack cartridge "Challenge & Surfin" which does not work on the 2600+. I can provide the MD5 hash if you need it.

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

@raz0red

However this cart just causes a black screen, so I can't share the debug info. The console has to be reset to come back to life

These two work fine:

Just in case it helps here's the info from the two functional carts:

IMG_20240810_150631.thumb.jpg.34c9af7b5904c4a9247c7ce9bd816993.jpg

IMG_20240810_150557.thumb.jpg.2693517fd4f94cc14dd238b87bb45de5.jpg

Maybe you can share some screenshots and tell if you like the games in the collection area? Once they work, I might complete my collection of 2😊

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Maybe you can share some screenshots and tell if you like the games in the collection area? Once they work, I might complete my collection of 2😊

I can do that for sure, in fact I planned on doing so as I think these carts with their sometimes renamed games are quite interesting. 

28 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

You can also look on Atarimania, here you can see which 2 pak cartridges exist, their screenshots and which games (including which games are copies with a different title) are on them: https://www.atarimania.com/list_games_atari_search_50.32.112.97.107._2_G.html

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Fred_M said:

You can also look on Atarimania, here you can see which 2 pak cartridges exist, their screenshots and which games (including which games are copies with a different title) are on them: https://www.atarimania.com/list_games_atari_search_50.32.112.97.107._2_G.html

Thanks, I know that site and it is very helpful🤙

Dungeon Master seems to be the game I don't have, the others look familar😊

And many of the 2 Pak do not run in embeded Atarimania emulation on my tablet... so I can't test it...

Tricky roms they are😂

Edit: Dungeon Master is Venture and I have it already😊

Edited by DEANJIMMY
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Thanks, I know that site and it is very helpful🤙

Dungeon Master seems to be the game I don't have, the others look familar😊

And many of the 2 Pak do not run in embeded Atarimania emulation on my tablet... so I can't test it...

Tricky roms they are😂

Edit: Dungeon Master is Venture and I have it already😊

Yes, they are all known games with often a different title 😉

Alien Force = Cosmic Ark (Imagic)

Boom Bang = Crack Pots (Activision)

Cavern Blaster = Laser Gates (Imagic)

Challenge = Challenge (Fun Vision)

City War = Atlantis (Imagic)

Creature Strike = Demon Attack (Imagic)

Dolphin = Dolphin (Acivision)

Dungeon Master = Venture (CBS)

Fire Alert = Fire Fighter (Imagic)

Frogger = Frogger (Parker)

Hoppy = Quick Step (Imagic)

Motocross = Motocross (Home Vision)

Pigs 'n Wolf = Oink! (Activision)

Planet Patrol = Planet Patrol (Spectravision)

Space Voyage = Star Voyager (Imagic)

Star Warrior = The Empire Strikes back (Parker)

Surfin = Surfer's Paradise But Danger Below! (Video Gems)

Wall Defender = Wall Break (Home Vision)

In the early 80s many European countries did not have a strict copyright law, that's why there are so many "pirated" games which were sold in well known toy and department stores as well as by mail order companies in Europe.

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fred_M said:

Yes, they are all known games with often a different title 😉

Alien Force = Cosmic Ark (Imagic)

Boom Bang = Crack Pots (Activision)

Cavern Blaster = Laser Gates (Imagic)

Challenge = Challenge (Fun Vision)

City War = Atlantis (Imagic)

Creature Strike = Demon Attack (Imagic)

Dolphin = Dolphin (Acivision)

Dungeon Master = Venture (CBS)

Fire Alert = Fire Fighter (Imagic)

Frogger = Frogger (Parker)

Hoppy = Quick Step (Imagic)

Motocross = Motocross (Home Vision)

Pigs 'n Wolf = Oink! (Activision)

Planet Patrol = Planet Patrol (Spectravision)

Space Voyage = Star Voyager (Imagic)

Star Warrior = The Empire Strikes back (Parker)

Surfin = Surfer's Paradise But Danger Below! (Video Gems)

Wall Defender = Wall Break (Home Vision)

In the early 80s many European countries did not have a strict copyright law, that's why there are so many "pirated" games which were sold in well known toy and department stores as well as by mail order companies in Europe.

The Zellers(Taiwan) releases are a good example. Love the Artwork on these carts.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2024 at 7:59 AM, Ben from Plaion said:

The 'community' built experimental software and the 'official' software is one and the same thing. Experimental 1.7 emulation and dumper firmware will be shipped as 'official' 2.0 version on restocks of the 2600+ at Christmas. Already earlier this year, stocks have been manufactured and sent to retail with the latest experimental builds loaded onto them.

We had some fires to put out after launch with the firmware and thats why we got Beta 1.1 pretty quick. Then after that Raz0red and friends carried on with the experimental incremental builds, in some cases re-writing large parts of code.

The only thing stopping there being an 'official' release of software is that the updating experience is somewhat rough and ready, doesnt scream like a first party experience. I've made a bit of progress with improving the process, but its slow going and not easy.

The software threads we'll clean up and de-sticky the beta one soon to avoid confusion.

@Ben from Plaion

Thanks for taking the time to reply and giving clarity to how the experimental and official firmware relates to each other.  I know Plaion team must be quite busy with things and it great to hear that things are on track for firmware version 2.0 to to drop release December.  I truly am amazed by the Atari 2600+ that Plaion has create and appreciate how your team is continuing to work on and improve the product and expanding on its capabilities.  Being that is the firmware is still a work in process I understand that you might not be able to reveal specific details for the firmware but if you are able to can you tell me if the compatibly for the CX21 Video Touch Pad  is being worked on for 2.0 firmware or if might we see that in a firmware release later than 2.0 as long as there aren't any technical reasons which would prevent getting the CX21 working with the Atari 2600.  I hope to be able to play Star Raider on my Atari 2600+ so that is one of the compatibility features that I hope the Atari 2600+ will soon have.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Tidus79001 said:

@Ben from Plaion

Thanks for taking the time to reply and giving clarity to how the experimental and official firmware relates to each other.  I know Plaion team must be quite busy with things and it great to hear that things are on track for firmware version 2.0 to to drop release December.  I truly am amazed by the Atari 2600+ that Plaion has create and appreciate how your team is continuing to work on and improve the product and expanding on its capabilities.  Being that is the firmware is still a work in process I understand that you might not be able to reveal specific details for the firmware but if you are able to can you tell me if the compatibly for the CX21 Video Touch Pad  is being worked on for 2.0 firmware or if might we see that in a firmware release later than 2.0 as long as there aren't any technical reasons which would prevent getting the CX21 working with the Atari 2600.  I hope to be able to play Star Raider on my Atari 2600+ so that is one of the compatibility features that I hope the Atari 2600+ will soon have.

Hopefully maybe soon. I really want to play Star Raiders on the 2600+, and also Cookie monster munch, Big bird's egg catch.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/10/2024 at 3:11 PM, Tidus79001 said:

@Ben from Plaion

Hate to say this but it's the only (worthwhile) game that uses it so..... Just play one of the 10 other clones (Star Master is better anyhow lol) 

• Like 2

It appears the dumper writes to the SARA chip to test it, I took a practically brand new Desert Falcon and removed the SARA chip and it does not work without the chip.  So, I stuck a few other SARA boards in there (Dig Dug, Dark Chambers, Crystal Castles), all the with the SARA removed and none of them work.

Just FYI.

1 hour ago, CPUWIZ said:

It appears the dumper writes to the SARA chip to test it, I took a practically brand new Desert Falcon and removed the SARA chip and it does not work without the chip.  So, I stuck a few other SARA boards in there (Dig Dug, Dark Chambers, Crystal Castles), all the with the SARA removed and none of them wo

I am not so sure here. The dumper doesn't need to know if there is extra RAM. But Stella does! And to detect this RAM, Stella compares the RAM address range for all banks. If it is identical for all, then extra RAM is assumed.

Now, if you remove the chip, what get's dumped at its address range? Probably what's in the ROM banks there, right? Which could be anything and different between banks. Then Stella will fail to detect the RAM and the ROMs won't work.

If you happen to have a R77, you could create the resulting dumps and analyze them.

8 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I am not so sure here. The dumper doesn't need to know if there is extra RAM. But Stella does! And to detect this RAM, Stella compares the RAM address range for all banks. If it is identical for all, then extra RAM is assumed.

Now, if you remove the chip, what get's dumped at its address range? Probably what's in the ROM banks there, right? Which could be anything and different between banks. Then Stella will fail to detect the RAM and the ROMs won't work.

If you happen to have a R77, you could create the resulting dumps and analyze them.

Makes sense, I do not have a Retron.

Ahhh! The R77 predecessor, inferior in many ways to its successor comes to its aid! That’s awesome!

I have one. I’m not sure if I can be of any help. My Retron is set up for rom dump. I’m not sure if I have the proper tools for analyzing.

Edited by MrChickenz