IGNORED

Experimental 2600+ Firmware and Dumper

raz0red

5 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

This will be updated shortly with a IMG and EXE entirely based on Raz0red latest experimental files with the only difference being the file names are 2.0. 

We have been using 2.0 in recent manufacturing runs of 2600+.

Same 2.0 I saw running on the proto 7800+ consoles at PRGE?

5 hours ago, Defender_2600 said:

Sorry for the mistake, I thought it was the experimental firmware seeing that recent release date (09.19.2024) along with the same Driver Assistant (v5.12.zip) and RKDev Tool (v2.74.zip). But at least for now some people should no longer complain that Atari has not released a 2600+ firmware update on the official site.

Lol, now they’ll just complain that it took 9 months to deliver another “official” update. 

• Haha 3

56 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Same 2.0 I saw running on the proto 7800+ consoles at PRGE?

Yes. Also, didn't you notice the 2600+ at PGRE also had 2.0 loaded.

Indeed the IMG for both are basically the same feature wise. There are differences in the dumper / controller EXE but there is a intention to have parity also here as much as possible between 2600+ and 7800+ but it's a WIP

Edited by Ben from Plaion
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Yes. Also, didn't you notice the 2600+ at PGRE also had 2.0 loaded.

Indeed the IMG for both are basically the same feature wise. There are differences in the dumper / controller EXE but there is a intention to have parity also here as much as possible between 2600+ and 7800+ but it's a WIP

I honestly didn't even look at the 2600+ consoles while I was there. Since the 7800+ was the new hotness I was most interesting in examining first hand.

Okay...so we have filter settings now. That's cool.
I still would love better compatibility with flash carts for developers.

That does sound a bit rude, I'll admit, but believe it or not, I'm working on getting the 7800+ pre-ordered. Thanks for your hard work. ❤️

1 minute ago, Defender_2600 said:

Wow! This new updated firmware 2.0 is so advanced that when it is officially released the 2600+ would deserve a new super trailer to inform buyers and sew up some complaining reviewers. This is definitely opening a new chapter in retrogaming history. :)

Knowing the internet, I genuinely hope this isn't sarcasm, because it definitely needs a bigger reception, whether through an elaborate launch trailer...or just listing the new features on Amazon for both 2600+ and 7800+ Either way, I'm very grateful for the hard work the team has been putting together.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, r_chase said:

Knowing the internet, I genuinely hope this isn't sarcasm, because it definitely needs a bigger reception, whether through an elaborate launch trailer...or just listing the new features on Amazon for both 2600+ and 7800+ Either way, I'm very grateful for the hard work the team has been putting together.

Zero sarcasm, it's just conscious enthusiasm in seeing progress that has exceeded the best expectations, making the A+ consoles something unique and unrivaled compared to competing productions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, r_chase said:

With the latest FW it will be such a great product and the ongoing support from some AA members, pushing it forward, is awesome and really makes the difference!

The ongoing support is something I appreciate much more than a better performance on the release day.

Many thanks again!

I am glad the initial reviews were overall good, even on the PAL side some were disappointed, I knew it will be great in the end.

That was very important as you can kill a niche product in the first weeks by bad reviews. 

An example was Kick Off Revival for the PS4.

In june 2016, the testers did not wait for patches and were too stupid to even understand you have train for weeks to be able to play a good ball and that patches are coming.

I gave quite some input after release and was happy Dino Dini fixing my findings and in September it was such a great game but still a niche game of course.

But nobody gave it a chance again due to the bad reviews in june, so it died in the end. 

This time, with the 2600+ everything came to a good ending😊

Edited by DEANJIMMY
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, chad5200 said:

What does Bilinear Filter do?

10 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Smooths out the sharpness of image. I call it the vaseline filter.

It is very useful for some scrolling 7800 games like Commando or Xevious. The scrolling looks much better (smooth) when enabled.

Also it smooths the pixels in 7800 games like Popeye🤗

How ever, for 2600 games I prefer to switch it off as the crisp output looks much better to me but that is a personal thing😊

Edited by DEANJIMMY
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

2600+ I believe the 7800+ will have the same features, but the controller/IO board is different so that is where the firmware is separate. 

Good to see the optional filter. Probably not necessary for 2600 games, Though Most 7800 games should benefit.

• Like 2