IGNORED

Experimental 2600+ Firmware and Dumper

raz0red

1 hour ago, Albert said:

That's great, thanks for the update!  Now if we can get Star Castle Arcade, Zippy, and Stella's Stocking working.  All three of those use bankswitching schemes that don't appear to be supported by the dumper yet.  :)

There are more (to come): Penult (??), Chetiry (CTY), Toyshop Trouble (not sure if the carts use 0840), Boulder Dash (3E).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 2LTIME6100 said:

Is there anything new to report about Pitfall 2?

I think if you get this game to run it would be a very good advertisement for the console.

By the way, I personally would be very happy about it 😉

Not yet, but we are getting close, just getting throug these Superchip homebrews. I think PFII will be the last 2600 game we fix (or attempt to I should say) and then thats it, it'll be finished and I'm off!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've just tested the latest rev2 of this experimental firmware, maze craze has correct colors and framerate, but there's still the issue with the music in games like E.t. or Q*^bert @raz0red @Ben from Plaion How did you fixed this problem on NTSC games?, because I belive that it happened on 1.0 firmware and was sloved in 1.1

27 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

I downloaded and installed Experimental firmware 1.1x-r2 latest dumper

Aardvark NTSC runs Great!

Strategy X NTSC loads 5 out of 5 berfore it was 2 out of 5.

Circus Convoy NTSC no longer works first picture.

Juno First won’t load second picture.

E0D2ED02-5E63-4D86-8151-567D7E2810AB.jpeg

010A5646-EFB5-4EBA-BED7-113EC0EFD0DC.jpeg

I’m using the same FW and current dumper and my copy of Circus Convoy is working. No issue. Are you using the dumper version ending in .9? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Not yet, but we are getting close, just getting throug these Superchip homebrews. I think PFII will be the last 2600 game we fix (or attempt to I should say) and then thats it, it'll be finished and I'm off!

Are the dumper issues with some Coleco games and James Bond still being looked at? My testing with the experimental FW was pointing at the dumper not pulling all 8k in these for whatever reason.

That and PFII are the last issues I really have on the NTSC side of things so resolving them would satisfy me for sure. 👍🏼 

Edited by MikeM_

13 minutes ago, Laladien said:

I’m using the same FW and current dumper and my copy of Circus Convoy is working. No issue. Are you using the dumper version ending in .9? 

Circus Convoy was working before I installed Experimental firmware. I’ll keep trying maybe it’s the dumper. Strategy X is hit and miss!

13 minutes ago, MikeM_ said:

Are the dumper issues with some Coleco games and James Bond still being looked at? My testing with the experimental FW was pointing at the dumper not pulling all 8k in these for whatever reason.

That and PFII are the last issues I really have on the NTSC side of things so resolving them would satisfy me for sure. 👍🏼 

Which coleco games? I ahve Time Pilot and it's working fine.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Which coleco games? I ahve Time Pilot and it's working fine.

Smurf: Rescue, and Zaxxon have consistently not been working for me and are verified on my 7800. 

when I was testing the Experimental FW it was pointed out that they were showing as 4k carts when they are actually 8k. Same issue exists with James Bond. So it’s a dumper issue rather than an emulation problem. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MikeM_ said:

Smurf: Rescue, and Zaxxon have consistently not been working for me and are verified on my 7800. 

when I was testing the Experimental FW it was pointed out that they were showing as 4k carts when they are actually 8k. Same issue exists with James Bond. So it’s a dumper issue rather than an emulation problem. 

I second this. I have a copy of Smurf that dumps corrupt and apparently it's a very common problem. Hopefully before anyone's done with fixes, they'll address that issue so we're not locked out of using it on the 2600+

• Like 1

I will say, my #1 hope is to have all my carts working by the end of the fw/dumper work. 

But

If I had to choose, I’d rather see PFII work over the other 3 of mine that don’t; but only if I had to choose…

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

to be honest, I totally lost track where we are. 

I check back once a week in this forum but it has gotten confusing on the state of affairs 🤪

(I have no idea if ARM games work now neither the driving controler or over 32kb games... you name it)  

Edited by m.o.terra kaesi

3 hours ago, AtariYMás009 said:

I've just tested the latest rev2 of this experimental firmware, maze craze has correct colors and framerate, but there's still the issue with the music in games like E.t. or Q*^bert @raz0red @Ben from Plaion How did you fixed this problem on NTSC games?, because I belive that it happened on 1.0 firmware and was sloved in 1.1

What is your problem with music in ET or Qbert?

I am on 1.1x-r2

ET and Qbert (2600 PAL) sound Ok🤙

Journey Escape PAL sounds Ok 🤙

Medieval Mayham NTSC sounds awful (music in demo mode sounds like an amplifier is dying)😞 Game runs fine.

Can anyone dupe this???

@raz0red

I have found an issue with Crazy Brix 7800 PAL.

The game starts fine in PAL mode but I can not play. It does not take fire press on joystick in port 1. Paddle does not work in port 2.

I had to downgrade to 1.1 Rev1 to get it working again. Kicked it with escape sequence into PAL and could play with joystick in port 1. So it got broken in 1.1 Rev2 and fails in x1 as well.

You can use the joystick to select game and start it by fire but 2nd fire press to release the ball fails in any release higher than 1.1 Rev2.

If I put a joystick in port 2 and press right (fire on paddle), it releases the ball but i can't move the paddle as the games looks for paddles on port 2 which are not supported yet in 7800 mode.

Edited by DEANJIMMY

19 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

What is your problem with music in ET or Qbert?

I am on 1.1x-r2

The music starts like 2 or 3 seconds later, and that didn't happened to me on any of the builds, just after the 1.1x-r1.

I'm also using 1.1x-r2.

I read that this issue was also present for NTSC games on 1.0 relase firmware but was sloved on the following build

8 minutes ago, AtariYMás009 said:

The music starts like 2 or 3 seconds later, and that didn't happened to me on any of the builds, just after the 1.1x-r1.

I'm also using 1.1x-r2.

I read that this issue was also present for NTSC games on 1.0 relase firmware but was sloved on the following build

It seems to play right after ET starts🤔