IGNORED

Vectrex HSC - Mar 2024 - Galaxy Wars SL

^ Good playing, brother @jgkspsx! During my first games, I desperately tried to identify the bright UFO until I realized that once you've shot a non-bright UFO there is no bright UFO in this level anymore. 🙄

Edited by hcmffm
  • Like 1

Played a couple games this afternoon and finally beat my personal best from years ago which was 71,772.  Had all of my lives after 55k, and ended up losing them pretty fast on these higher levels.  Got 73,792 this run.

You can get this high of a score without paying any attention to the order of bright UFOs, but this particular run I used a bit of bright UFO game play.  The secret is to not let the randomness get the best of you.  You can also improve your odds of getting the highest bonus on the even number levels if you know the secret... just pay attention to what is happening an you'll figure it out.  You can employ some strategies to lower the chance that you will be randomly hit, but you will inevitably be killed by random shots if you get lazy or unlucky.  Unfortunately, now I've seen LimitZer0's score again, so I won't be able to rest until I hit 88k.
image.thumb.jpeg.e612b3e03e6ba96047cfed50b36cef2d.jpeg

• Like 3

Improved my pb to 35678 

I am finding Space Launcher a bit luck based, or at least frustrating as I can't predict or react to being shot in close  range. I'm assuming the bonuses rotate in a predicable pattern, and I'm def going for time bonus rather than risking killing loads of ufos

20240310_205221.thumb.jpg.cbc2c39a3bb2d198de02aad3069fb9d8.jpg

I don't focus on the time bonus at all... it's not that many points when you want to stay alive longer to keep going level after level.

Randomness kills, but you can use the asteroids as shields and strafe with them to avoid being shot... then fly up and at an appropriate angle to hit a UFO.  You can also minimize the random shots by making a "hole", and only flying up when the "hole" is above you so you don't fly up into carpet bombing shots.

On the even levels you can also fly up and try not to be directly under the UFOs so you don't get sniped on the way up.  Easier said than done though, especially if you are mentally keeping track of where the bonus points will be by the time you get up there.

This run was a combination of that, and knowing when to get the 4k point bonus, and also trying to get the lit UFO's in order for the first 8 levels... then play it safe when needed thereafter.

89,622 ( I think this was like level 21 or 22? )

image.thumb.jpeg.74a91fe6f38e337ecc746ff97283c8bb.jpeg

• Like 3

That's good improvements, @Lord Innit and @TheCurlyBard.

@ Brett @playvectrex:

When posting Nathan's highscore I knew that you would take it as a challenge. But I didn't expect that you would beat Nathan's score that quickly. 😮 Congratulations to your excellent score! And thank you for sharing your experience - still needs very good skills and playing after all. Let's see whether someone can catch up and challenge you, but I much doubt it.

Edited by hcmffm
  • Like 2

I think I played a little each night after you mentioned it and had some other high scores but didn't want to post until I achieved the 88k goal.  I thought I probably missed the 88k goal when I lost my last two lives on level 22 I think it was, but each time I got the 4k bonus so it pushed me over the top.  I was like, "noooo.... " when I died that last time, then like, "YESS!!!!" when I saw it was over 89k.  The game is really hard to fly through the stars or whatever they are on the even levels, so by level 22 or so it's so dense it's pretty much a game killer.  So the best way to get higher points I'd say is do all of the things I mentioned, and have all 5 lives once you get to about 75/80k points... then get 4k bonus on each life and I guess 100k is possible :D 

33 minutes ago, playvectrex said:

I'm really sorry, but I can't stop playing this game :D After my post earlier, I thought 100k was possible and almost got there. 

Excellent playing, Brett. You have more than double my score - I'll have to fix that. ;-)

Edited by hcmffm
  • Like 1

On 3/2/2024 at 6:04 PM, Mikey50 said:

I dont have this game on my multi cart how can I play it? I cant download on the multicart

I've only just saw this thread but I've listed some cartridge-only copies of the game at : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204610624847 

If you order today, they will be posted tomorrrow!

Good luck with your high-scores!

Edited by BinaryStar
  • Like 6

@BinaryStar: Good that you found this topic, Chris, and thank you very much for offering some extra cartridges. (Two weeks ago I've posted a comment for Galaxy Wars SL pointing to this Vectrex HSC on your website but I guess you haven't seen it.)

@jbrodack: Cool that you've joined the Vectrex HSC and submitted a first score, Justin. For a start it's a good score - my score posted first was much lower.

@cheeko: Great extra effort to join the Vectrex HSC: You've bought a Galaxy Wars SL cartridge and have registered at AtariAge. Welcome to both AtariAge and the Vectrex HSC - I hope you enjoy playing Vectrex games and Galaxy Wars and look forward to seeing your first scores.

• Like 2

Thanks @hcmffm !

Had a short session earlier to get to grips with the game, I’m terrible at the one where you dock at the top before returning, keep dying! Although I realised right at the end you can control it with the buttons which seems to help.

First score submission, more to come!

IMG_3882.thumb.jpeg.d98d8c9bc9141041a384a7a0b8137d9d.jpeg

• Like 6

Okay, yep, getting more consistent. Will definitely get at least one proper session on this in the next week.

IMG_3907.thumb.jpeg.1284f2c9b9d9478d645116c7774b6a36.jpeg

I must be inadvertantly skipping the high score screen and then having to take a pic of the options screen.

• Like 2