IGNORED

Vectrex HSC - Mar 2024 - Galaxy Wars SL

VectrexHSCLogo-v4-800px.thumb.png.81bf71d70d8fb416b6b176017c9b84dc.png

Round 2 - March 2024 - Galaxy Wars / Space Launcher

This second round is now over. Thank you to everyone who took part, and congrats on all the great scrores!

Final scores & ranking:

1st playvectrex 103,002

2nd cheeko 93,454

3rd jbrodack 74,164

4th Darrin9999 71,780

5th Vorkosigan 68,104

6th hcmffm 52,956

7th TheCurlyBard 35,678 

8th Lord Innit 35,188

9th jgkspsx 30,566

10th Doctor Snuggles 10,844

Welcome!

Galaxy Wars / Space Launcher (or just Galaxy Wars SL) is an interesting take on the shooter genre where you take control of the projectile directly, well two actually as Galaxy Wars / Space Launcher is a mash up of two games, alternating between boards. It's possible to choose to play just one of the games or the other, but for these scores we will be alternating.

GalaxyWars-klein.png.8942d6db04c3561e8def99631cb0f866.png

Purchase 

You can buy a copy from the creator on ebay, currently on sale just for us!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204698465728

Download 

This game is available for free - thank you, Chris Malcolm (Binarystar)!

http://www.binarystarsoftware.com/?p=691

The most straightforward way to play would be DrSnuggles online emulator:

https://drsnuggles.github.io/jsvecx/?rom=http://binarystarsoftware.com/bin/GWSL_v102_FREE.BIN

Manual/Tips

https://vectrex.fandom.com/wiki/Galaxy_Wars_:_Space_Launcher

Galaxy Wars rewards maximum points for a UFO if you destroy the slightly brighter one next, if you hit another by mistake though the bonus is gone for the rest of this level. As noted by @Lord Innit this does seem worth going for. 

Space Launcher also rewards different points for landing in different docking stations, it still seems like the time bonus is the best reward so far.

Settings

Default settings, i.e. Galaxy Wars SL with 3 lives

Edited by hcmffm
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Doctor Snuggles said:

You can direct link a rom like this:
https://drsnuggles.github.io/jsvecx/?rom=http://binarystarsoftware.com/bin/GWSL_v102_FREE.BIN

... and as i just found this somehow triggers the display readme function.
Will bugfix this soon, meanwhile please click right mouse button to skip text.

Great, this makes playing Galaxy Wars SL even simpler. But remember: Emulation is good but on the real thing vectors look so much cooler. 😎

1 hour ago, Vorkosigan said:

Here comes the first score. I've been better in Vector War, but I'm happy to start with this level again. 😁

Ah, Marc, you've beaten me by 34 minutes and with a much higher score. Well done!

Here comes my very first score after 10 minutes of playing:

7,386 - Original Vectrex hardware

20240301_172843_klein.thumb.png.22ee89ea652c4c335c5c93f4886ee1ef.png

Edited by hcmffm
  • Like 2

On 3/1/2024 at 10:55 AM, Doctor Snuggles said:

You can direct link a rom like this:

... and as i just found this somehow triggers the display readme function.
Will bugfix this soon, meanwhile please click right mouse button to skip text.

That's awesome, I'm assuming I can use a local file url as well? It's currently my primary debugging tool so would be good to skip a step in my "pipeline"

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheCurlyBard said:

That's awesome, I'm assuming I can use a local file url as well? It's currently my primary debugging tool so would be good to skip a step in my "pipeline"

Sorry, but that means ecaping browsers sandbox and accessing local files. see pm for wall of text

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mikey50 said:

I dont have this game on my multi cart how can I play it? I cant download on the multicart

I am in the same situation. I think, to have more players, it could be nice to play first to the original releases. 

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, scalpel said:

I am in the same situation. I think, to have more players, it could be nice to play first to the original releases. 

Hmm OK, we'll keep that in mind. It was a bit of a test really to see how many people have a writable cart or an emulator setup with a reasonable controller.

Next month will be an official release, and we'll generally favour those. Feel free to suggest one in game request thread.

Also, early score from me :)

11258 on og hardware and controller via pitrex

20240303_100954.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, scalpel said:

Sure enough it's no good if you and Mickey (and possibly even more people) can't participate a round because you don't own required hardware. Only "work around" I see atm is using emulation - as jgkspsx has pointed out, already. DrSnuggles Emulator and ParaJVE are good alternatives but sure enough it's not the real thing.

If you like Vectrex playing I recommend to invest 100 USD for Richard Hutchinson's VecMulti. A "flashable" cartridge like the VecMulti comes with many games and allows for downloading, "flashing" and playing every free Vectrex binary which is cool. PiTrex or VecFever are alternatives but PiTrex seems a bit more complicated to achieve and set up and VecFever is very hard to find.

Edited by hcmffm
  • Like 1

I use a VecMulti. The retail library is small and we have all played all the games for decades, and the homebrew is much more interesting and underexposed, so I would like to see a 50-50 balance. That said, maybe once a season we should play something that is only available on cartridge like the masterworks of Kristof Tuts.

One thing I started doing on the Lynx HSC this year (inspired by Vector War, in fact) is that I will drop the bottom two or three scores. That way if somebody doesn't have a game it doesn't matter. I also have separate homebrew and retail tracks, but then the Lynx retail library is more than 3X larger than the Vectrex library.

• Like 2

On 3/2/2024 at 5:39 PM, Lord Innit said:

13140 on original hardware.  I'm finding heading for the brightest enemy is paying off. 

I'd say you are right to be honest, it does seem to be worth getting a least a few bonus hits. 

It might seem obvious to most, but in the Galaxy Wars levels it's far safer to put your ship to the side of the UFO and let it fly into you rather than risk approaching from the bottom as those shots are viscous. 

As far as Space Launcher is concerned, but I'm sure there will be a predictable pattern to the scores for the docking stations. You can't get there before they cycle at least once, and hanging around just underneath the UFO's for them to cycle again is too dangerous and wastes time bonus 

• Like 1

^ Hey, hey, great to see you, Darrin @Darrin9999, another faithful Vector War player here in the Vectrex HSC! :) And looking at your post count you're pretty much a resident of AtariAge - unlike me. I wonder who else I will meet here in the near future...

Edited by hcmffm
  • Like 2

Last night I woke up and couldn't sleep. I played Galaxy Wars and calmed down.

A word on tactics (spoiler) :

Spoiler

Like @Lord Innit, I also think that it's worth while hunting bright U.F.O.s. First round with all bright UFOs destroyed results in a score of 4,800. A bright UFO is only shown as long as you destroy bright UFOs; it will dissappear in a level as soon as you've destroyed a non-bright UFO.

Note: Some people may want to find out about tactics themselves and/or discuss tactics after a monthly round ended. So I hide this as spoiler.

Galaxy Wars SL - 27,036 - Original hardware

20240306_014706-27036-klein.thumb.png.75fba8071df8d1ed7bdd854877ca7826.png

Edited by hcmffm
  • Like 2

GWSL played on Vectrex with VEXTREME multicart and Vectorlink with 8BitDo SN30 Pro controller - 47,914

This is such a great game, and if you take a break and let the music build at the end of each level... a techno rave gets going real fast to pump you up for the next level.  It's honestly great!

playvectrex - gwsl - 47914.jpg

• Like 3

More playing, higher scores. 🙂 That's a good first score, Brett. But I'm close, Marc and Brett...

43,162 - Original hardware

20240307_43162pts-klein.thumb.png.996a5ca40a6fa4ef6afeddd11eb7782d.png

Brother @jgkspsx, when will you launch your missiles? (BTW, are these missiles or rockets?)

Edited by hcmffm
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Played some more while listening to TV last night... had a few higher scores from my first, but this was the best ->  71,732
I contemplated waiting until someone beat my original score, but I feel terrible holding onto scores so here it is 
🙇
I will keep playing until I beat my personal best from a couple years back.
image.thumb.jpeg.89a519d711cd85d502e055b0fb123a92.jpeg

• Like 4

12 hours ago, playvectrex said:

Played some more while listening to TV last night... had a few higher scores from my first, but this was the best ->  71,732
I contemplated waiting until someone beat my original score, but I feel terrible holding onto scores so here it is 
🙇
I will keep playing until I beat my personal best from a couple years back.

Another great score, Brett, congratulations! And thank you for playing fair and not holding back scores. Not sure about your personal best - back in 2021 in Vector War 11 Nathan (limitzer0) scored 87,342.

Mine Storm required control skills and you can get better and better when playing more. For Galaxy Wars / Space Launcher I have the feeling that it's a bit of a lucky game: In Space Launcher, if you are lucky enemies don't shoot right in front of you, and if you are unlucky they do. But I'll play more and will find out.

Edited by hcmffm
  • Like 1

Don't forget you can hide behind asteroids for protection from shots.

As much as I love the "psychedelic" overlays the color differences tend to hide the brightness difference for the target UFO, so it is probably better to use a single color overlay.

30566 for me. Best score my first good game and then the more I tried to add technique the worse I did, haha.

IMG_7552.thumb.jpeg.b3883476c052c05916232e059a196c37.jpeg

• Like 3