IGNORED

Vectrex HSC - Mar 2024 - Galaxy Wars SL

2 hours ago, VF2048 said:

54.628, sorry, Helmut 😅

Well done, Marc.

. o O (I shouldn't have pointed those great and keen Vector War players to this Vectrex HSC - too much competition, now. 😉)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheCurlyBard said:

@Madwindoman @scalpel @Mikey50 @MattPilz still some time to get a score in for Galaxy Wars SL, but not long until we move to Aprils game Scramble which I'm sure everyone is able to play :)

I’d love to but sadly I don’t own galaxy wars. My scramble cart is all ready to go for April. Bring it on cause I suck at scramble!!!

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, Madwindoman said:

I’d love to but sadly I don’t own galaxy wars. My scramble cart is all ready to go for April. Bring it on cause I suck at scramble!!!

You should seriously consider getting a flash cart so you can play tons of freely available games.
Not to mention you can play Scramble with the infinite lives hack to practice and get better at whatever level you keep dying on.
In no particular order ;-) 

VEXTREME
VecFever
PiTrex
VecMulti
VecFlash
BackBit

• Like 1

Was on a great run, decided to film it with my phone in case magic happened, lost my mind :)

Next time I’ll just focus on playing the game rather than evidence gathering.

IMG_3947.thumb.jpeg.df4d1b595a23f90f0015ea7046706bae.jpeg

Here’s the shambles, btw the death that happens at 1:23, this happens to me quite often, no idea what is killing me, thought I was flying straight!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cheeko said:

Here’s the shambles, btw the death that happens at 1:23, this happens to me quite often, no idea what is killing me, thought I was flying straight!

Nice run!  Although, you play VERY risky so I bet you could go even higher if you didn't make the risky moves.  If you watch my video I explain the risky stuff, a big one is not crossing over under UFO's up close without cover of the asteroids.  That said, if you keep getting the lit UFO's in order, and get lucky, you will have a high score as well.

At 1:23 it looks like you bumped into the left side of the bunker area, since no UFO's were near you.

Something I noticed about this game watching your video... a lot of the lag in this game could be reduced by not showing the previous high score, which is always visible at the top... even after you pass it on the bottom live score.

Everyone is doing great!  I need to put some more games in and try to get that 100k+ score.

Edited by playvectrex

On 3/26/2024 at 11:17 AM, playvectrex said:

You should seriously consider getting a flash cart so you can play tons of freely available games.
Not to mention you can play Scramble with the infinite lives hack to practice and get better at whatever level you keep dying on.
In no particular order ;-) 

VEXTREME
VecFever
PiTrex
VecMulti
VecFlash
BackBit

Vec fever sounds cool. Maybe I’ll grab one of those lol

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, playvectrex said:

Nice run!  Although, you play VERY risky so I bet you could go even higher if you didn't make the risky moves.  If you watch my video I explain the risky stuff, a big one is not crossing over under UFO's up close without cover of the asteroids.  That said, if you keep getting the lit UFO's in order, and get lucky, you will have a high score as well.

At 1:23 it looks like you bumped into the left side of the bunker area, since no UFO's were near you.

I do play risky but it seems to really step things up at Stage 16, although watching it back even for me I’m wincing at some of those gambles haha. Will rewatch your video.

But yeah, from that point you seem to be much more likely to hit dead ends in the meteor field and I should maybe let go of getting the lit UFOs in order from there.

That bunker bump is probably it, it does catch me out a lot for some reason. All part of the game!

Really glad for this high score thread though, it’s nice to properly dig into a title I otherwise wouldn’t have focused on.

• Like 2

I've probably played 30 - 40 decent games in the last two days.  This one was the best, and my controller died on the last level, last life I had... so I had to swap controllers and it threw off my flow.  Ended up not even getting any more points with the second controller... 100k might not be possible before the end of the month for me... but I'll give it a few more tries tomorrow.

playvectrex - gwsl - 98594.jpg

• Like 2

First and only game on Easter morning, 103,002 (level 26 or 27)!!

I had 3 lives left at 80k which really helped... but they whittled down to 1 life left at 98k so with immense pressure I completed the odd level and was at 99k

Only had to fly up into a bunker to make it to 100k, so I starred at the stars and made sure I was flying up in the easiest part... I did not focus on getting 4k bonus...

and prayed I would not get shot by the UFOs.  I ended up getting 100 points at the top, lol... but when the level ended I had 102k!  Started playing

another odd level and got one or two more UFOs, and then just kind of spaced out flew too close to an asteroid and crashed into it.
I can finally be done :D 

image.thumb.jpeg.c1d25f1a5c023d71ab0b0ce8ec8c5304.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, playvectrex said:

First and only game on Easter morning, 103,002 (level 26 or 27)!!

I had 3 lives left at 80k which really helped... but they whittled down to 1 life left at 98k so with immense pressure I completed the odd level and was at 99k

Only had to fly up into a bunker to make it to 100k, so I starred at the stars and made sure I was flying up in the easiest part... I did not focus on getting 4k bonus...

and prayed I would not get shot by the UFOs.  I ended up getting 100 points at the top, lol... but when the level ended I had 102k!  Started playing

another odd level and got one or two more UFOs, and then just kind of spaced out flew too close to an asteroid and crashed into it.
I can finally be done :D 

image.thumb.jpeg.c1d25f1a5c023d71ab0b0ce8ec8c5304.jpeg

More than 100k - great stuff, Brett! 😎

Edited by hcmffm

Nice! Someone had to do it. I have actually brought my Vectrex home for once(it usually lives in the office) so I’ll have another stab this evening and see if I can improve on mine at all.

What’s the 4k bonus? Is that what you get for all the lit saucers?

Squeezed in a few goes pre-dinner. I’ve realised that, maybe because my vectrex display seems slightly wonk but the collision on the little cubby’s you fly up into doesn’t match my display, if I do the far right one my ship has to be half in the left wall, at least explains why I die so much on that bit!

Had one decent run though which upped the score, will have another stab at it post dessert!

IMG_4027.thumb.jpeg.65ce5ae0f1fb1383d8b9ec2eb7d62f53.jpeg

• Like 1

Time’s up for me! Had about an hour and topped out at 93 454

There’s something about level 17 that absolutely does me in, a couple of times I’d get there with 3 lives in the bank and then lose 2 or 3 in quick succession, then after that carry onto 80k+ 

IMG_4035.thumb.jpeg.3dc2320773e7c7a24a8647b7b6c8a0f4.jpeg

Which was stage 22. My last few games I realised, as I always go for the lit saucer, that even on the higher stages I’m better off flying off the top of the screen and trying another run, that faffing about midfield or trying to cut under a saucer in the top third. Which made things a lot more consistent. Anyway, solid effort and lookong forward to Scramble!

IMG_4034.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cheeko said:

Time’s up for me! Had about an hour and topped out at 93 454

Congrats, that's a great score!

The 4k bonus is on the even number levels after you get to like level 12 or 14 or 16... there's like an 'X' at the top and if you get that one you get 4k points.  It's really helpful to make sure you get that to maximize your points because the levels get so much harder to navigate up to the top past like level 20.

I'm also looking forward to Scramble, and have a love hate relationship with the 3rd maze level :D 

Yeah congrats @playvectrex for leading the way on this.

Big shout out to @BinaryStar for making a fun game that held up really well in this comp. Little scoring techniques, room to find your own play styles, and solid execution. Not sure if it’s a vectrex thing with vectors but the collision on the bullets and ships is amazing. You could have some really close calls and squeeze through tiny gaps, tickling a meteor’s tail, but good control was rewarded so you always felt like it was your own fault when it fell apart and not just frustration at the game itself.

This was my first Vectrex homebrew game and makes me understand why people love this machine so much. A legitimate home arcade experience.

Bravo!

Edited by cheeko
  • Like 4