IGNORED

My newest video looking back at the underrated classic Turmoil for the 2600. Also shared a old picture from 1983.

bigfriendly

49 minutes ago, bigfriendly said:

If this game had been released by Activision or Imagic I think it would be better remembered than it is.

https://youtu.be/KfuTFIyT2xY?si=9ZktaRpVZg78PN2f

It was released by Atari as Taz and then again by Atari (in Europe) as Asterix.  

Although they are not exactly Turmoil, the gameplay is extremely close, and they are fairly well and fondly remembered.

-Ben

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Pitfall Harry said:

It was released by Atari as Taz and then again by Atari (in Europe) as Asterix.  

Although they are not exactly Turmoil, the gameplay is extremely close, and they are fairly well and fondly remembered.

-Ben

Hmmmm, there's a bit more to Turmoil and while Taz/Asterix are sonically minimalist, Turmoil is the opposite.  It's a strong contender for best sound of any 2600 game.

28 minutes ago, insertclevernamehere said:

It's a strong contender for best sound of any 2600 game.

I didn't know about the programmer Mark Turmel until I did some quick research for my video. The guy is a game programming legend.

20 hours ago, insertclevernamehere said:

Hmmmm, there's a bit more to Turmoil and while Taz/Asterix are sonically minimalist, Turmoil is the opposite.  It's a strong contender for best sound of any 2600 game.

Yes, I agree with you on all points.  Turmoil is a solidly programmed game.  The graphics, motion control, and target detection are all smooth as glass and the sound is excellent.  I've been playing it the last couple of days now, and I find it has a wickedly addictive quality to it.

But there is no denying Turmoil bears more than just a passing resemblance to Taz.  I didn't say that to disparage Turmoil in any way.  I was just noting that I saw a great similarity between the two games. Bigfriendly pointed out in his video link that the gameplay bears a striking similarity to Tempest, and as soon as I heard it I knew exactly what he meant.  I'm just the kind of guy who compulsively sees similarity in things most people miss.  I tend to think ALL videogames, right up to the latest PS5 releases, are just progressively clever extensions to Atari's Pong.

I should note that Turmoil was released a year and a half earlier than Atari's Taz. So it's not like they ripped the idea off in any way.  And quite frankly, 20th Century Fox did a much better job of it.

-Ben

• Like 1

Is that a coincidence that it looks like an X-wing and a TIE Fighter!??

I just played it for a little bit and it's definitely a fun game!  I'm glad you mentioned heading down the tunnel to get the little circular orbs, because they will get you later if you don't!

I agree the sound on this game is awesome.

Thanks for sharing!

Atari.thumb.jpg.b829206fbcc48e8a280dbabc8805cf5c.jpg

Edited by TampaBay
  • Like 2