IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 19 - Game 7 - Lock 'N' Chase

1 hour ago, Rickster8 said:

Awesome.... Great to see you in here Chris.... I tried to follow your logic in using the red door locks. I'm just not quick enough to place them where they need to go so I have to improvise. I've gotten better and closing some of the cops in though.... I really hate the green locked doors. I feel the game would be SOOOOOOOOO much better without them.... 

It was the green doors that got me the worst in my game this morning.  I will say that when you play a lot, you get the rhythm of the green doors; you learn when you can push into one that is closing and safely wait for it to open and you learn when you can time it just right to get through one before it closes. Even then, the 'randomness' still gets you sometimes. But I think that is one of the reasons that this game isn't one you can play for hours and hours. Between the aggressive Cops and the green doors, you are likely to get yourself in a bad spot at some point.

If I recall, one of the options on the Lupins Revenge Homebrew is to turn off the green doors. I haven't played a game like that yet, but I have it on my list of option combos that I'd like to try.

• Like 2

On 3/10/2024 at 10:11 AM, Rickster8 said:

Matt @IntyFanMatt, you developed an awesome pattern for Pac-Man. I wonder if the same thing can be done for this game? 🤷‍♂️

If you watch my world record video you can see that I used a pattern for the start of every level. The start pattern has to change as the speed of the cops changes, especially for the time they wait before they start to move at the beginning. But after the first two moneybags I am no longer following a pattern - just trying to survive.

The one strategy I use a lot is to use your red doors to confine a couple of cops in one area of the map. If I can lock the Blue and Yellow guy on the right 1/4 of the map, that means I only have 2 cops to deal with on the remaining 3/4, which is easier. Even trapping 1 cop in a corner simplifies things. This Heart level is a good example. If I had nabbed the 4th moneybag on that level it would have been nearly perfect

Though that one door on the yellow guy was CLOSE:

LnC-CLOSE.thumb.JPG.213d9ca4eeaa7b5146eb6835b96a7e09.JPG

Edited by BigDumer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, BigDumer said:

It was the green doors that got me the worst in my game this morning.  I will say that when you play a lot, you get the rhythm of the green doors; you learn when you can push into one that is closing and safely wait for it to open and you learn when you can time it just right to get through one before it closes. Even then, the 'randomness' still gets you sometimes. But I think that is one of the reasons that this game isn't one you can play for hours and hours. Between the aggressive Cops and the green doors, you are likely to get yourself in a bad spot at some point.

If I recall, one of the options on the Lupins Revenge Homebrew is to turn off the green doors. I haven't played a game like that yet, but I have it on my list of option combos that I'd like to try.

Yes it's true! You can turn off the doors.

I actually love Lupins Revenge for that reason, but just as much in that you get different mazes which really add to the fun and enjoyment. 👍

Oh,and thanks for the great tips,I will be watching your video right now.😊

I just watched the first couple levels,you are the master of the doors!

I love how you seal the cops off,glad I checked that out.

Now whether it translates to my skills and score I will go find out for myself. 🫰

Edited by wolfy62
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A couple things I've always wondered about Lock'n'Chase:

• We know that you get bonus points for locking cops in a corner (100 points for one, 300 points for two and 1000 points for three - as you can see in level 1 of my video above). But how many points do you get for locking four cops in one corner? Is it even possible? I wonder if someone like David Harley who has delved into the code knows the answer.
  • Is it possible to trigger a moneybag to appear and then collect enough coins to trigger the second moneybag before the availability of the first one has ended? It may be that the programmers set the timing of the moneybag to make this impossible, but I've never bothered to test it out.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BigDumer said:

If you watch my world record video you can see that I used a pattern for the start of every level. The start pattern has to change as the speed of the cops changes, especially for the time they wait before they start to move at the beginning. But after the first two moneybags I am no longer following a pattern - just trying to survive.

The one strategy I use a lot is to use your red doors to confine a couple of cops in one area of the map. If I can lock the Blue and Yellow guy on the right 1/4 of the map, that means I only have 2 cops to deal with on the remaining 3/4, which is easier. Even trapping 1 cop in a corner simplifies things. This Heart level is a good example. If I had nabbed the 4th moneybag on that level it would have been nearly perfect

Though that one door on the yellow guy was CLOSE:

LnC-CLOSE.thumb.JPG.213d9ca4eeaa7b5146eb6835b96a7e09.JPG

Wonderful !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BigDumer said:

A couple things I've always wondered about Lock'n'Chase:

• We know that you get bonus points for locking cops in a corner (100 points for one, 300 points for two and 1000 points for three - as you can see in level 1 of my video above). But how many points do you get for locking four cops in one corner? Is it even possible? I wonder if someone like David Harley who has delved into the code knows the answer.
  • Is it possible to trigger a moneybag to appear and then collect enough coins to trigger the second moneybag before the availability of the first one has ended? It may be that the programmers set the timing of the moneybag to make this impossible, but I've never bothered to test it out.

The internet says trapping four cops is 2000 points. I've done it in the arcade version and remember it being huge, at least 8000 if not more. I don't see it happening in the Intellivision version, but I didn't think trapping one in the bottom right corner was possible either.

• Like 2

Played a game after work with an original Intellivision II controller and I did better. Must be the controller. 🙂 Still haven't made it to the Heart level.

LnC_002.thumb.jpg.d0996d761d5fd63e0c68fad583f0c8a3.jpg

I thought about the green doors a lot during this game. I realized that I am very aware of them when I go for the moneybag. A couple things I noticed:

• You have time when the moneybag appears and if the green doors surrounding the moneybag are closing, don't head towards them! Maybe move a little in the other direction or back-and-forth to keep the cops moving away from the moneybag. Then when the green doors open up, go towards the moneybag!
  • I also use the green doors intentionally. For example, if I am on the bottom area and want to move to the top are of the screen, I will hesitate a few seconds (again, move back-and-forth) and go through the green doors just as they are closing so I get through, but the cops don't!
  • Neat trick: If a green door covers up a coin, you can actually quickly touch the green door to collect the coin without getting stuck. But sometimes you get stuck. 😐
  • Once you GET the moneybag, be very aware of the state of the green doors around the centre. If you head towards one that is just closing, you can be stuck in that area with a cop. Remember, you can go through the cops when they are purple - use that to escape!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mr_me said:

The internet says trapping four cops is 2000 points. I've done it in the arcade version and remember it being huge, at least 8000 if not more. I don't see it happening in the Intellivision version, but I didn't think trapping one in the bottom right corner was possible either.

I've actually done this, but only bcuz I watched Dumer's video... :P 

Posted (edited)

Quick Lock 'N' Chase Update:

103,040 - mr_me

76,480 - BigDumer

47,920 - scalpel

44,360 - wolfy62

33,780 - Rickster8

30,600 - IntyFanMatt

10,600 - lupovax

5,640 - jblenkle

Edited by Rickster8
Added in another score.

I played a couple games last  night but didn't beat my latest score. Wasn't feeling it. But one thing I noticed is that I sometimes use the feature where you can stop Lupin. In this diagram I have marked all of the points where Lupin can stop (well, I THINK I got them all - not counting the cubbies where the side-exit is blocked). Most, marked in yellow, make sense since they are at the end of a row. Lupin will stop at the end, or you can press towards the wall to stop there.

LnC_Stopping_Points.thumb.jpg.a3492916f8cda65bcaeb908f9600c248.jpg

But some people might not know that you can stop at the orange stars as well. As above, you stop here by pressing towards the wall.

Stopping can be very helpful when you are trying to draw cops to one area. I often stop at the bottom left corner to draw cops over there, to either trap them in the corner or to quickly go through the side exit.

I also use this frequently at the two points next to the moneybag. Sometimes, when the moneybag is active I will go into the middle area and stop, drawing cops towards me. But before they touch me, I grab the moneybag. This can be very helpful once you start going again, because it may mean one or two cops are now in the middle instead of the area where you wanted to go next. Also, the cops stay purple for some time after you have grabbed the moneybag so you can go through them and escape to any open exit from the middle area.

Why stop instead of quickly moving back-and-forth, well, besides saving your thumbs a bit of effort, the cops react to your movement and moving back-and-forth might actually drive them away from you.

Which reminds me of one last tip. I find that the Blue and Yellow cops have similar personalities and can often be found on top of each other. This is really helpful if you can lock them in a corner, since then you'll only have two cops to deal with.

I wish I could say more about the cop AI in the game. I used to know more, but I have forgotten it all. I find that Red and Green can be manipulated to move away from you. Which reminds me...never give up. If you have cops closing in on both sides of you, move back and forth quickly. This can cause one of the cops to move in a surprising way and create an opening for you to escape. If all else fails, go towards a cop - sometimes you will pass right through them!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

103,040 - mr_me

76,480 - BigDumer

58,360 - scalpel

54,740 - wolfy62

33,780 - Rickster8

30,640 - lupovax

30,600 - IntyFanMatt

5,640 - jblenkle

• Like 1

Just got in a few games and finally got to the heart level. I forgot that on the heart level I'm able to re-use my opening strategy from level 2, which helps clear nearly half the board. The difficulty is the other half because I had forgotten how fast the cops are at the highest speed!  Still, 132,740 is definitely a score that I am proud of!

LnCScore.thumb.jpg.764e9a00065f19c7c2260b52e0ca5e28.jpg

We are heading out on a Spring Break trip tomorrow so I don't expect to play again for this competition.

@Rickster8, thanks for asking me to play! My gaming time is mostly PS5 with some Switch and what Intellivision time I have usually goes towards my backlog of homebrews. This has rejuvenated my desire to put some time on Lupin's Revenge. I'm interested to see if the AI is any different, and looking forward to some new stage layouts. Also, being able to start the game at top speed is huge for practice. Back when my friend Brad and I were gunning for the world record we wished there was a way to go straight to the top speed!

Edited by BigDumer
  • Like 3

On 3/15/2024 at 8:08 PM, BigDumer said:

Which reminds me of one last tip. I find that the Blue and Yellow cops have similar personalities and can often be found on top of each other. This is really helpful if you can lock them in a corner, since then you'll only have two cops to deal with.

I wish I could say more about the cop AI in the game. I used to know more, but I have forgotten it all. I find that Red and Green can be manipulated to move away from you. Which reminds me...never give up. If you have cops closing in on both sides of you, move back and forth quickly. This can cause one of the cops to move in a surprising way and create an opening for you to escape. If all else fails, go towards a cop - sometimes you will pass right through them!

The green cop seems a bit out to lunch. It's like he's not even trying to catch you most of the time. His unpredictability can still cause problems.

3 hours ago, BigDumer said:

@Rickster8, thanks for asking me to play! My gaming time is mostly PS5 with some Switch and what Intellivision time I have usually goes towards my backlog of homebrews. This has rejuvenated my desire to put some time on Lupin's Revenge. I'm interested to see if the AI is any different, and looking forward to some new stage layouts. Also, being able to start the game at top speed is huge for practice. Back when my friend Brad and I were gunning for the world record we wished there was a way to go straight to the top speed!

Being able to practice at heart speed would be really helpful.

Edited by mr_me

I think I definitely suffer from not having an Intellivision growing up when it comes to this game.

It took me a hell of a lot of work to get this score, so I'm actually pretty proud of it, even though it doesn't match up to most of the other ones posted on here.

PXL_20240317_164223639_MP.thumb.jpg.222cb4f57bab8230f1657e8700bf8cca.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

132,740 - BigDumer

103,040 - mr_me

58,360 - scalpel

54,740 - wolfy62

47,240 - ts-x

33,780 - Rickster8

30,640 - lupovax

30,600 - IntyFanMatt

25,640 - dpisacane

18,800 - Player One

5,640 - jblenkle

Edited by Rickster8
Added in another score.

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, dpisacane said:

I think I definitely suffer from not having an Intellivision growing up when it comes to this game.

It took me a hell of a lot of work to get this score, so I'm actually pretty proud of it, even though it doesn't match up to most of the other ones posted on here.

PXL_20240317_164223639_MP.thumb.jpg.222cb4f57bab8230f1657e8700bf8cca.jpg

I hear ya man. I didn't have this one either as a kid and I'm awful at it. To me it's one of the absolute hardest Inty games to get better at. I got 60k once, but it was a complete anomaly.... 🥺

Edited by Rickster8
Wording