IGNORED

Nintellivision (NINTY-DS) Official Release and Discussion Thread

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2024 at 8:06 PM, mr_me said:

What level is that?  The Twingalaxies high score just shy of a milllion only reaches level 22. So it's possible to dramatically increase your score in the same number of levels.

A new high score by over 12,000 points and made it to screen 25 for the first time.

They threw me a 🦴 on screen 24 though.

The Baddies didn't move as fast as they did on screens 22 and 23.

• Like 1

https://github.com/wavemotion-dave/NINTV-DS

V5.3 : 07-Sep-2024 by wavemotion-dave

• Integrated 2KGRAM build into the main code. There is now one unified Nintellivision build. Use Configuration to select 2KGRAM (aka Tutorvision mode) for games that support it.

I've finally integrated the 2K GRAM (aka Tutorvision) build into the main emulation. No longer is a separate emulator required for the 2K GRAM handling.

Use configuration on any game to select the normal 512 byte GRAM vs the expanded 2K GRAM handling.  You should only enable this for games that take advantage of it (i.e. some of the awesome DECLE offerings).

image.png.9673d37de004a9a552c2e1d13e38b1be.png

After making a change to the GRAM size, you must re-load the game for it to take full effect. And now your expanded 2K GRAM enabled games should be shown in their full glory!

image.png.d2a63e9de62c7e564f21142572095852.png

This comes at a tiny cost of about 1% emulation speed. No problem for the DSi and above and really should be unnoticeable on the older DS-Lite/Phat.

This also comes at the expense of having to rework the SAVE/RESTORE game states. Your older SAVE games will not load on the new version - so finish up whatever you're playing before you make the switch to version 5.3.  Sorry about that - hard to make an omelette without breaking a few eggs occasionally.

• Like 4

Not quite ready for release, but my daily build on https://github.com/wavemotion-dave/NINTV-DS has support for Full Tutorvision mode.

When you select a game to run, instead of pressing A to load the game normally, press X to bring up a list of options for overriding the emulation:

Load Options

Select Tutorvision and you can enjoy the upgraded system as follows:

• wbexec.bin replaces the normal exec.bin for enhanded executive ROM capabilities needed for Tutorvision games
  • wbgrom.bin replaces the normal grom.bin for a slightly different font
  • Automatically engages the 2K GRAM enhancement for improved graphics capabilities
  • Adds addtional 16-bit System RAM from 0x360 to 0x4FF
  • Identifies as a STIC 1A for purposes of auto-detection by some programs (such as FW Diagnostics)

Note you must have wbexc.bin and wbgrom.bin in your normal BIOS directories (same place you put exec.bin and grom.bin).

image.png.1a9c127f956e3aabd6d758f2ba753dfd.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fdr4prez said:

Are there any known incompatibilities if you keep it in Tutorvision "mode" all the time? 

Yes - per a real Tutorvision, some games won't like the 2K GRAM expansion as it counts on those upper bits being masked off. Off the top of my head, the following games won't work right: Worm Wopper, Ms Pac Man, Christmas Carol and probably 3-4 others I'm not remembering.  Oh! Also, the expanded wbexec sits over address 0x2000 so that you can't run an ECS or any of the ECS games.

This has nothing to do with the emulation itself - a real Tutorvision with expanded GRAM has these same incompatibilities.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, StephenJ said:

That's great Crash7!
I could use some help with putting. Got any tips?

I'm actually pretty good at making long putts, it's the short ones that I have trouble with.  

When I try to do on my second shot on a par 4? Is that if I'm going to miss the hole I try to get the ball in a vertical angle to a hole. 

Up and down putts are pretty easy for me, it's the side position reads that drives me crazy

• Like 1