IGNORED

Why the anti-5200 sentiment from the 8-bit community, we need some new titles (or at least conversions)!!!

BIGHMW

Hey, 

I've been spending a lot of time over in the 2600 community, and playing my new TRRS-modded 2600 Jr. and my newly-modded 7800, but why has there been stagnant if not any action going on here on the Big Sexy forums, I mean WTF's up with any game programming and/or development???

I know that the 5200 may not get the love she deserves but I wonder why not as much activity here on these forums here over the past several months, hell, even @Ryan Witmer has dropped off the face of this planet for some reason. At least some XL or 2600-based conversions would be nice to hold us off until new original titles can be worked on, I already have a list of about 6-8 titles already in mind and ready to PM to anyone who wants to do them in which I think are doable (that will work within the 5200's 16K RAM and 32K ROM limitations) as for as getting them converted over to the 5200's controller and keypad are concerned, but it seems like nobody's feeling it right now and that hurts ALL OF US in this particular community.

Don't forget, I was brought to Atari by the 5200 FIRST, when I got my first unit back on my 17th birthday back on May 19th, 1983, not the 2600, nor the 400/800 series, and don't forget the 7800, had not even been developed yet back then, so c'mon people. Don't make ME fall asleep, I have the titles I'd love to see converted that'll hold all of us off long enough until new original titles can be developed, I can even attach a .zip folder in my next post, and yes, Bug Attack (1982), and Planetary Defense (1984), two vintage titles for the 400/800 series, are a part of that list. In fact I believe that maybe a 5200 trak-ball version of Planetary Defense, is doable, to replace the Koala Pad version on the 400/800.

Edited by BIGHMW

Probably because everything available for 5200 and 1000 times more exclusives exist on the 8-bit computers.  The analog controller adds nothing except to a single game, that being Star Raiders.  Breakout was designed for paddles, not analog stick.  The 8-bit computers can and do work with analog controllers, so that "feature" of the 5200 isn't a selling point either.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Probably because everything available for 5200 and 1000 times more exclusives exist on the 8-bit computers.  The analog controller adds nothing except to a single game, that being Star Raiders.  Breakout was designed for paddles, not analog stick.  The 8-bit computers can and do work with analog controllers, so that "feature" of the 5200 isn't a selling point either.

I see your point there @Stephen but it just breaks my heart to see that still for a gaming console the 5200 does have some superiority over even the 400/800 (maybe not so much the XL or XE) computers as to the quality of the playability of the games themselves (even though for the most part they are improved versions of those same titles) when compared to their 400/800 originals. Think of how much easier it is to activate the smart bombs (top fire buttons) or hyperspace (any key on the keypad) in Defender, or navigate through the optional defensive systems or thrusting options (through the keypad) in Star Raiders, or the superiority of the RealSports series of games like choosing what pitches to throw/ability to "bunt"/select which fielder to throw to/steal a base in RS Baseball or which play to run/runner to throw the ball to in RS Football or how you kick the ball in RS "football" (I as a pure Premier League FOOTBALL fan and Gooner REFUSE to use that dreaded "s" word to tag the name of our sport), plus many more. There are certain things a 5200 can do that a normal 8-bit cannot do. Plus most of the 5200 games plain look better, in fact SO much better that I'm surprised not all of them (especially 5200 Super Breakout) have ever been ported back (not even by Glenn The 5200 Man) to the 8-bit.

So I'll take the CX52's ease of controllability with the onboard 12-digit keypad, start/pause/reset and twin fire buttons over that cluttery large XEGS keyboard anyday, and I own both and don't have any plans on ditching either one but as a gaming console despite having 4x the RAM the XEGS plain sucks over her 6-year older sibling Big Sexy!!! Plus the 5200 looks pretty damn sweet sitting next to my composite/S-video-modded 7800 (and yes Big Sexy will also get the same treatment too in a few weeks, so she'll look great on my home arcade's monitor too, just like the 7800 and XEGS currently do (and my ColecoVision will too)!!! 

IMG_0802.thumb.JPG.32986774fc91b3698a3c5c0324f56916.JPGIMG_0804.thumb.JPG.a909172020be722ffd215a084d559bbd.JPG

IMG_0807.thumb.JPG.c2e0a29d9d6e44b901fdebe3ac6a6048.JPG

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Stephen said:

This conversation has been going on for decades.  There are many reasons to play the 5200.  I had the chance to play 5200 Realisports Baseball last week.  The 8bit can't play that game properly.  Playing Intellidiscs yesterday, the Tron classic pays homage to the Intellivision controls as well. I love my 8bit, but I play the 5200 much more in modern times.   

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, space_dungeon said:

This conversation has been going on for decades.  There are many reasons to play the 5200.  I had the chance to play 5200 Realisports Baseball last week.  The 8bit can't play that game properly.  Playing Intellidiscs yesterday, the Tron classic pays homage to the Intellivision controls as well. I love my 8bit, but I play the 5200 much more in modern times.   

River Raid, Centipede, Defender, and Galaxian are excellent reasons to play the 5200 over the 8bit too.

• Like 4

I'm still around, I'm just not unemployed anymore and don't have as much time to work on this stuff as I used to.  Rest assured, I have a new 5200 project in the works, I'm just not ready to show it yet.

• Like 14

The 5200 will never have the library of the 8-bits but it does still have some great home brews, conversions and original releases. I purchased every one that Ryan has released and will continue to purchase any new releases. Realsports Curling anyone? The 5200 has the controller issue for sure but there are modern controllers being made that help. Also, Trak-ball and Tempest. We just need to realize the pain we are putting ourselves through by giving a 5200 a home.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Yeah I do have the demo ROM of it but since I’ve played both I prefer to support the brilliant work of Keithen Hayenga and it’s a shame that this hasn’t been ported over to the A8/XL/XE/XEGS as I think it would be a smash for it, all you have to do is move the joystick up or down to activate the superzapper on it the same you would do with Xtreem or Elite, and while the added powerups and bells and whistles on V61’s offerings are nice for authenticity I prefer the classic version instead.

I just wish someone would port 5200 Tempest to the 8-bit so there’d be no bickering, there are also other games that are also 5200 exclusives like Castle Blast as well as the entire Mean Hamster series of titles and a few homebrews but other than that that’s it.

Edited by BIGHMW

2 hours ago, BIGHMW said:

Yeah I do have the demo ROM of it but since I’ve played both I prefer to support the brilliant work of Keithen Hayenga and it’s a shame that this hasn’t been ported over to the A8/XL/XE/XEGS as I think it would be a smash for it, all you have to do is move the joystick up or down to activate the superzapper on it the same you would do with Xtreem or Elite, and while the added powerups and bells and whistles on V61’s offerings are nice for authenticity I prefer the classic version instead.

I just wish someone would port 5200 Tempest to the 8-bit so there’d be no bickering, there are also other games that are also 5200 exclusives like Castle Blast as well as the entire Mean Hamster series of titles and a few homebrews but other than that that’s it.

Maybe the CX22 or CX80 on 8-bit could be used somehow? Maybe it does and I just missed something. I don’t have any idea about the effort or feasibility of making it work. 

Personally it is trak-ball or nothing for Tempest. 

• Like 2

Well yes the CX80 DOES work with Tempest Xtreem (I used it with that game on my previous XEGS so I know it works and yes you do maneuver the ball up or down to activate the Superzapper much like with a joystick) and I swear it’s pretty good with it much like the CX53 is with 5200 Tempest but I’d rather see 5200 Tempest ported over to the A8/XL/XE/XEGS for official authenticity’s sake and I wonder why @Albert won’t do it, 8-bit fans would love it as much as they do Adventure II XE that he put out years ago, what’s keeping him from putting this out???

• Like 1

@BIGHMW member since 14 August 2007. Why the hell you haven't started learning how to program?

There are many members with much shorted "practice" here on AtariAge who joined forum as total noobs and now make miracles.

And what about you,Ray? :) 

• Like 6

On 3/13/2024 at 6:05 PM, Stephen said:

The analog controller adds nothing except to a single game, that being Star Raiders.

Mostly true.

On 3/13/2024 at 6:05 PM, Stephen said:

The 8-bit computers can and do work with analog controllers, so that "feature" of the 5200 isn't a selling point either.

Are there analog joysticks for the 8 bit line?

One thing the 5200 would add to these ports is something sorely needed and one of the biggest flaws of the C64, Vic-20, Atari 2600, 7800, 8-bit line and some others, the one button controller!

The 5200 brings buttons galore.  There is no shortage of buttons on the controller.

I mean, seriously, I friggin hate up to jump!!!  The only thing I hate more than up to jump, is having "extra buttons" be either the keyboard or the other controller (though with some work, that can be remedied).

For all the flaws of the 5200 controller, it's nice to have extra buttons.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, miker said:

@BIGHMW member since 14 August 2007. Why the hell you haven't started learning how to program?

There are many members with much shorted "practice" here on AtariAge who joined forum as total noobs and now make miracles.

And what about you,Ray? :) 

Ray hasn't even kept up with his youtube review channel!  He's a slacker:)

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, christo930 said:

I wanted to continue producing content for it, but the problem was that nobody was watching it, so I stopped doing not only it, but also my other two YouTube channels, because f**king Google suppressed all 3 of my channels (the others are BIGHMW TV and my Ray Jackson YouTube channel) into oblivion and obscurity, look at the numbers, or lack of them, so to say, they speak for themselves, their algorithms are RIGGED towards the corporate content!!!

Independent free-thinking original content creators don't have any chance anymore of getting their channels even off the ground, let alone get noticed by iHeartRadio or 102.7 KIIS-FM or Cindy Margolis!!!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, christo930 said:

I even had pans on bringing it back with all-new content but was advised against it due to a lack of numbers, I had ideas for my channel for new original shows and even barnd new graphics packages for those shows including new title wallpapers and some unique ideas that would've brought the channel more attention and made it competitive with other existing retrogaming channels of the sorts, things like these:

AtariTodayLogo-FINALVersionc1.png.dee27eb5d185c9e594e7d00aabbb8cc6.pngTheWarRoom-BasicBackgroundb.png.e9733d1e9cfda4d5b24b32634dd08a8f.pngAtari5200SuperReportLogo-TitleWallpaper.jpg.2a90de778e95b22ca3274259ac126893.jpgOldSchoolNuSkool-FinalThumbnailWallpaper-FINALa.jpg.8b2754596ef03944c790c689a5aa2b85.jpgTheAtariReport-AllNew2600EditionLogoc.png.7fc50523b1abc031d0b740bb1fae785d.pngTheAtariReport-AllNew5200EditionLogoc.png.a8401927a7c733d404113373349be991.pngTheAtariReport-AllNew7800EditionLogoc.png.a08dc50288bc06823559f11b6b7436e4.pngTheAtariReport-AllNew8-BitEditionLogoc.png.b47d95e3cbba13aedd6a6f08b736b114.pngTheAtariReport-AllNewSpecialEditionLogoc.png.e1531f60cd5bfc7547f3895f77acdbe9.png1ON1-BasicBackground1.jpg-c.png.5fc47c3b23d3f287439b176d3173e1d8.png

.....and even an interview series called "1ON1" in which I currently don't have the graphics package for ready as of this post but yes I DID have plenty of ideas, it's just that (my manager) Len Enders suggested that I only do them if I'm not "shooting for the numbers", so to speak.

Now excuse me, but you know my hero and sole role model in the entertainment business and co-graduate from Erikson Center down in California (and believe me you are lucky to SURVIVE that place let alone graduate from there) who graduated from there 40 years ago last month, Cindy Margolis once had her own TV show back in the early 2000s and it didn't last 13 weeks but if you were to ask her (and she can come here on AtariAge and address both us and myself personally) if she would being it back just for fun, she would probably tell you the same thing, that "it's just not worth it".

Plus, as WWE (now TKO Holdings COO) Triple H and Stephanie McMahon would both say...

"it's what's best for business".

Edited by BIGHMW
to add "1ON1" title screen wallpaper
  • Like 1

1ON1-BasicBackground1.jpg-c.png.707b14833e69e4f1f2919282e766aa59.png

......and yes it would have a segment of the official instrumental version of Hall & Oates' 80s hit "One On One" in the background with myself doing the opening voiceover (I do all my own stunts, so to speak :) )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BIGHMW said:

I even had pans on bringing it back with all-new content but was advised against it due to a lack of numbers, I had ideas for my channel for new original shows and even barnd new graphics packages for those shows including new title wallpapers and some unique ideas that would've brought the channel more attention and made it competitive with other existing retrogaming channels of the sorts, things like these:

AtariTodayLogo-FINALVersionc1.png.dee27eb5d185c9e594e7d00aabbb8cc6.pngTheWarRoom-BasicBackgroundb.png.e9733d1e9cfda4d5b24b32634dd08a8f.pngAtari5200SuperReportLogo-TitleWallpaper.jpg.2a90de778e95b22ca3274259ac126893.jpgOldSchoolNuSkool-FinalThumbnailWallpaper-FINALa.jpg.8b2754596ef03944c790c689a5aa2b85.jpgTheAtariReport-AllNew2600EditionLogoc.png.7fc50523b1abc031d0b740bb1fae785d.pngTheAtariReport-AllNew5200EditionLogoc.png.a8401927a7c733d404113373349be991.pngTheAtariReport-AllNew7800EditionLogoc.png.a08dc50288bc06823559f11b6b7436e4.pngTheAtariReport-AllNew8-BitEditionLogoc.png.b47d95e3cbba13aedd6a6f08b736b114.pngTheAtariReport-AllNewSpecialEditionLogoc.png.e1531f60cd5bfc7547f3895f77acdbe9.png1ON1-BasicBackground1.jpg-c.png.5fc47c3b23d3f287439b176d3173e1d8.png

.....and even an interview series called "1ON1" in which I currently don't have the graphics package for ready as of this post but yes I DID have plenty of ideas, it's just that (my manager) Len Enders suggested that I only do them if I'm not "shooting for the numbers", so to speak.

Now excuse me, but you know my hero and sole role model in the entertainment business and co-graduate from Erikson Center down in California (and believe me you are lucky to SURVIVE that place let alone graduate from there) who graduated from there 40 years ago last month, Cindy Margolis once had her own TV show back in the early 2000s and it didn't last 13 weeks but if you were to ask her (and she can come here on AtariAge and address both us and myself personally) if she would being it back just for fun, she would probably tell you the same thing, that "it's just not worth it".

Plus, as WWE (now TKO Holdings COO) Triple H and Stephanie McMahon would both say...

"it's what's best for business".

Hey I'm coming up with these ideas in which were mostly inspired by the works of my favorite political commentator on YouTube, the great Brian Tyler Cohen.

Brian Tyler Cohen, has several segments and series on his YouTube channel, in which has over 2.6 million subscribers including all 3 of my YouTube channels, including:

The Legal Breakdown (with former federal prosecutor and current MSNBC contributor Glenn Kirschner)

Democracy Watch (with attorney Marc Elias)

Inside The Right (with Bullwurk Media host Tim Miller)

Class (with US Representative Jamie Raskin [D - Maryland])

No Lie With Brian Tyler Cohen (BTC's very own podcast, available both on YouTube and on where ever you get your podcasts)

BTC x MSNBC (his collaborations with MSNBC produced for YouTube)

....and so much more!!!

Maybe I can get at least 2500 subscribers at this point so what do I have to lose???

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BIGHMW said:

even had pans on bringing it back with all-new content but was advised against it due to a lack of numbers, I had ideas for my channel for new original shows and even barnd new graphics packages for those shows including new title wallpapers and some unique ideas that would've brought the channel more attention and made it competitive with other existing retrogaming channels of the sorts, things like these:

So why don't you?  Screw the manager. You only live once. Do what you like.  I was subbed to your channel.

• Like 3