IGNORED

Why the anti-5200 sentiment from the 8-bit community, we need some new titles (or at least conversions)!!!

BIGHMW

18 hours ago, BIGHMW said:

Myself also in 1983, got it as my first Atari unit for my 17th birthday (May 19th, 1983), I’m on my second one, a 2-port with a 4-port BIOS in her, my first was an original 4-port with that automatic switch box, in which BITD was so badass because you never had to go to the TV to switch it from the TV to the unit, that then though, meant I couldn’t get the soon-to-be released 2600 adapter unless I got the mod done on her, in which I didn’t do.

But yes the 5200 also brought me to Atari, in fact I know we love to call her Big Sexy but she also might as well be called “Rodney”, because somehow she gets no respect even to this day except from all of us loyalists like me and @Ryan Witmer who have done a tremendous service for our small but fiercely dedicated community.

That automatic switchbox on the 4 ports were way ahead of their time back in the day. The 4 port had that while all the other systems had MANUAL rf boxes....what a pain. Your 2 port with the 4 port bios is sweet, guess you can play every 5200 release and use the trackball on a 2 port. I have 2 systems as well. An original unmodded late release 4 port with an asterisk in the serial number so its compatible with everything,  I never use it I'm just happy to own it. My second one is an s video modded 4 port which puts out a beautiful picture, that's my daily driver lol. And you're right about the 5200 being a Rodney, it doesn't get the same respect. To me it's still one of my favorites. 

• Like 1

On 3/16/2024 at 4:02 PM, Zeptari said:

Can someone clue me in the difference between the 5200 console and computer versions? Are they that different?

River Raid, Centipede, Defender, and Galaxian are excellent reasons to play the 5200 over the 8bit too.

5200 River Raid used analog controls.  It's a really a big difference in gameplay shifting left to right and up and down slowly or fast.

5200 Centipede not only is controlled using analog sticks too and you have the option for the amazing 5200 trackball, but the game itself was a huge improvement over the 8bit version released in all respects.

5200 Defender is identical to the 8bit but defender on the 5200 lets you use top button for smart bombs (as opposed to reaching for the space bar) and the keypad to hyperspace. 

5200 Galaxian also uses analog controls.  You can slowly move right and left or quickly move either direction.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, space_dungeon said:

River Raid, Centipede, Defender, and Galaxian are excellent reasons to play the 5200 over the 8bit too.

5200 Centipede not only is controlled using analog sticks too and you have the option for the amazing 5200 trackball, but the game itself was a huge improvement over the 8bit version released in all respects.

5200 Defender is identical to the 8bit but defender on the 5200 lets you use top button for smart bombs (as opposed to reaching for the space bar) and the keypad to hyperspace. 

5200 Galaxian also uses analog controls.  You can slowly move right and left or quickly move either direction.  

So true about Centipede and Defender. 5200 Centipede is far superior to the 8 bit version, more arcade like in presentation and game play. Im also so glad there is someone other than myself who enjoys 5200 Defender because of the controls and buttons. That top smart bomb button is awesome, kinda makes you feel powerful Playing the game.

As far as Galaxian goes, this a rare instance where I actually prefer the 2600 version over the 5200. It just seems slightly more fun to play despite the graphics being toned down.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Flyindrew said:

So true about Centipede and Defender. 5200 Centipede is far superior to the 8 bit version, more arcade like in presentation and game play. Im also so glad there is someone other than myself who enjoys 5200 Defender because of the controls and buttons. That top smart bomb button is awesome, kinda makes you feel powerful Playing the game.

As far as Galaxian goes, this a rare instance where I actually prefer the 2600 version over the 5200. It just seems slightly more fun to play despite the graphics being toned down.

5200 Galaxian is one of the best. It's faster, analog controls, smoother, vivid graphics, and better sound effects than the 2600.