IGNORED

first impressions and thoughts...

Maztr_0n

1 hour ago, insertclevernamehere said:

I'm still adding to the collection and so anything new is what gets played the most.  The most recent are Spacechase and a repro of the double speed hack of Amidar.  Spacechase isn't nearly as bad as most reviews say it is but it's still far from one of the best.  And Amidar, despite me having a faster version still isn't all that great either.  Demolition Herby is a better colouring in the squares game. So I've been playing my homebrews more instead.  A lot of Champ Games and last night, a bit of Tower of Rubble.  All unbelievably excellent games.

Yeah Spacechase is alright, not a favourite, but alright for a quick blast.

I also much prefer Demolition Herby to Amidar, however I am totally rubbish at it. Haha

Tower of Rubble is on my wanted list, are you playing it on original hardware or the 2600 Plus?

1 hour ago, JetmanUK said:

Yeah Spacechase is alright, not a favourite, but alright for a quick blast.

I also much prefer Demolition Herby to Amidar, however I am totally rubbish at it. Haha

Tower of Rubble is on my wanted list, are you playing it on original hardware or the 2600 Plus?

Original hardware.  I have a 2600+ and a Retron 77 but not played it on either of those.  Not sure if it will work. I have played Dionoid’s previous game, Amoeba Jump on the 2600+ though. Another great game I’d recommend.

10 minutes ago, insertclevernamehere said:

Original hardware.  I have a 2600+ and a Retron 77 but not played it on either of those.  Not sure if it will work. I have played Dionoid’s previous game, Amoeba Jump on the 2600+ though. Another great game I’d recommend.

Ok. I have original hardware, I am getting it refurbed this weekend, by some guys from here, can't wait to have them working optimally. A 6 and a 4 switch, composite mods incoming too. :)

I do want some homebrews from this site, Tower of Rubble and Amoeba Jump are two of them coincidentally, another is a Dark Cavern remake (can't remember the name right now) and the other is Frenzy.

Edited by JetmanUK

Posted (edited)

ok i should list some of my current favorites

•  Commando
  • Demolition Herby
  • Adventure
  • California Games
  • Mario Bros
  • Pac Man Jr

i dont own any of these carts besides adventure as it came in the multicart but yeah really fun titles, and i forgot to mention Air Raiders which is eternally my 2600+'s Dust Cover as i always play it when i play 2600+

Edited by Maztr_0n

29 minutes ago, Maztr_0n said:

•  Commando
  • Demolition Herby
  • Adventure
  • California Games
  • Mario Bros
  • Pac Man Jr

i dont own any of these carts besides adventure as it came in the multicart but yeah really fun titles, and i forgot to mention Air Raiders which is eternally my 2600+'s Dust Cover as i always play it when i play 2600+

Based on that list, I would look for the 7800 versions of Commando (bit pricy) and Mario Bros. I’d also look for the 7800 version of Ms. PAC-Man.

The 2600 versions are good too (was playing 2600 Ms. PAC-Man last night and loving it), but the refinement of the 7800 ports is a nice plus. 👍🏼 

Edited by MikeM_
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Maztr_0n said:

•  Commando
  • Demolition Herby
  • Adventure
  • California Games
  • Mario Bros
  • Pac Man Jr

I got some suggestions based on your faves to at least check out in emulation.

If you like Demolition Herby, check out Bank Heist.  Another top down view, drive a vehicle around a maze while being pursued type game.  I probably slightly prefer it to DH but both are good.

If you like Mario Bros., another really fun platform game is Fast Eddie.  Not as difficult as Mario Bros either.

A REALLY good Pac Man for the 2600 is Pac Man 8K.  Way better than the original Pac Man for the 2600.  Maybe even better than Pac Man Jr and not as hard but still arcade level tough.

23 hours ago, MikeM_ said:

Based on that list, I would look for the 7800 versions of Commando (bit pricy) and Mario Bros. I’d also look for the 7800 version of Ms. PAC-Man.

The 2600 versions are good too (was playing 2600 Ms. PAC-Man last night and loving it), but the refinement of the 7800 ports is a nice plus. 👍🏼 

funny thing is i just bought the 2600 version of commando right as you sent that, but no worries i was springing for the 7800 version of Ms Pac Man as i hear its basically the definitive ms pac man experience, when the whole 7800 repressings were announced i preordered fatal run and the controller because i remember the 7800 version of fatal run sounding like something i would sink a lot of time into.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2024 at 3:16 PM, Maztr_0n said:

funny thing is i just bought the 2600 version of commando right as you sent that, but no worries i was springing for the 7800 version of Ms Pac Man as i hear its basically the definitive ms pac man experience, when the whole 7800 repressings were announced i preordered fatal run and the controller because i remember the 7800 version of fatal run sounding like something i would sink a lot of time into.

I played Fatal Run 7800 on Atari 50 on Xbox and it's pretty fun, I am looking forward to the physical copy.

• 1 month later...

my big issue is i have linux so installing updates is really hard and i need to learn how to solve my VM issues, oh well.

Also many games on 7800 like commando are far too expensive so i hope ordering custom carts comes back so i can do reproductions in and out...

A big let down is that the newly released cartridges are NTSC, not PAL. So they don’t work on anything locally for me except the Atari 2600+. The packaging and description does not say this either.

I realise that @Ben from Plaion has offered to exchange them. But I don’t see how this is sustainable. Is this offer still valid?

I can imagine the costs to send cartridges from Australia to the US for an exchange might be prohibitive too.

I know this doesn’t impact many people here, but I’m interested in your thoughts.

8 hours ago, guidedlight said:

A big let down is that the newly released cartridges are NTSC, not PAL. So they don’t work on anything locally for me except the Atari 2600+. The packaging and description does not say this either.

I realise that @Ben from Plaion has offered to exchange them. But I don’t see how this is sustainable. Is this offer still valid?

I can imagine the costs to send cartridges from Australia to the US for an exchange might be prohibitive too.

I know this doesn’t impact many people here, but I’m interested in your thoughts.

Any new 2600 games will likely be NTSC only, clearly they work on original PAL machines albeit with perhaps some differences in colours and speed. This could change but tbh I think the majority of people buying new games are for 2600+ and why subject them to an inferior version (in most cases)

7800 games shipping at the moment are NTSC to the US and PAL versions to Europe and Australia. 

Regarding the PAL NTSC swap. I've had three people ask for this and actually only one person do the actual swap. So feel free to DM me and you can be the second person in the world with a PAL Bezerk Enhanced Edition and or Mr Run and Jump.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Maztr_0n said:

my big issue is i have linux so installing updates is really hard and i need to learn how to solve my VM issues, oh well.

Also many games on 7800 like commando are far too expensive so i hope ordering custom carts comes back so i can do reproductions in and out...

They are apparently planning the official release will be Windows/Mac/Linux, so unless you’re wanting to beta test it should just be a matter of patience.

8 hours ago, guidedlight said:
Edited by Sean_1970

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Sean_1970 said:

They are apparently planning the official release will be Windows/Mac/Linux, so unless you’re wanting to beta test it should just be a matter of patience.

oh nice, i could wait, i just wanted to see if i could try it. No worries though i can wait especially if they can get Realsports Boxing working, i'm really into that game now too, and i'm sure we'll be able to get 100% compatibility with the original software sometime, i think it'll be awesome.

i'm also really excited about some of the homebrew, but honestly even if we dont get full compatibility or if we do, i might get a 2600 jr in the near future as a spare 2600, but for most 2600 and all of 7800 i think i'm set on 2600+! (i just hope that my PC will be able to detect it via USB!) that was the issue i was most concerned about tbh, crossing my fingers that it wont be a probb

But on some of the games i wanted, i would like to try some of Commando 7800 on my system as i think its awesome on 7800 emus, but not 200$ worth... so hope those atariage repros come back!

but anyways i will keep checking in on here, got donkey kong recently and i'm expecting cali games soon, might wanna get chopper command but not sure :) and for homebrew Razors Edge is the most interesting to me :D

Edited by Maztr_0n
  • Like 2

On 3/21/2024 at 11:34 AM, insertclevernamehere said:

I got some suggestions based on your faves to at least check out in emulation.

If you like Demolition Herby, check out Bank Heist.  Another top down view, drive a vehicle around a maze while being pursued type game.  I probably slightly prefer it to DH but both are good.

If you like Mario Bros., another really fun platform game is Fast Eddie.  Not as difficult as Mario Bros either.

A REALLY good Pac Man for the 2600 is Pac Man 8K.  Way better than the original Pac Man for the 2600.  Maybe even better than Pac Man Jr and not as hard but still arcade level tough.

oh yes, pacman 8k is a peak interest game and bank heist too! Demo Herby was a kind of surprise favorite, i almost disliked it at first because i was expecting something like... idk berzerk with cars??? or something odd like that but no it was a Amidar puzzler with a bit of vehicular mayhem sprinkled in, fun time!

i love the little track that plays when you finish the maze in Pacman which is in 8k so yeah :D and bank heist brings back the old GTA loving kid in me, almost makes me wish i started this collection when i got that flashback as a kid... woulda saved lots a money... :rolling: well nows tha time to at least  get the stuff i need.

On 3/21/2024 at 9:34 AM, JetmanUK said:

Ok. I have original hardware, I am getting it refurbed this weekend, by some guys from here, can't wait to have them working optimally. A 6 and a 4 switch, composite mods incoming too. :)

I do want some homebrews from this site, Tower of Rubble and Amoeba Jump are two of them coincidentally, another is a Dark Cavern remake (can't remember the name right now) and the other is Frenzy.

my pop pops was the only gamer in my immediate family, he had the SMS and the classic 6 switcher VCS :cool:, forget what games he had, might try to head over there near the fall if i can, too hot now...

• Like 1

:? oh dang i was too absent minded to mention that i might wanna add Secret Quest to my library someday! :sleep:what a klutz! But yes theres a lot of atari 2600 stuff that i feel is timeless, in the sense that they kinda have, what my generation might say is "Flash Game Energy" and those too are timeless, nothing can truly :skull: them for good, they'll always come around...

17 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Any new 2600 games will likely be NTSC only, clearly they work on original PAL machines albeit with perhaps some differences in colours and speed. This could change but tbh I think the majority of people buying new games are for 2600+ and why subject them to an inferior version (in most cases)

7800 games shipping at the moment are NTSC to the US and PAL versions to Europe and Australia. 

Regarding the PAL NTSC swap. I've had three people ask for this and actually only one person do the actual swap. So feel free to DM me and you can be the second person in the world with a PAL Bezerk Enhanced Edition and or Mr Run and Jump.

NTSC 2600 games - This is music to my ears! 😁😁😁

I can play classic carts and use my harmony cart on my modified original hardware, I'd buy homebrew too if it was more easily available. If you guys release a game then it has to work on the Plus, so NTSC only is fine, more than fine, preferable!

PAL 7800 games - Why complicate things for yourself? All NTSC is fine. 😋 👍🏻

(My knowledge is more limited on 7800 stuff, I am assuming there are compromises in PAL games on this system too?). 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

NTSC 2600 games - This is music to my ears! 😁😁😁

I can play classic carts and use my harmony cart on my modified original hardware, I'd buy homebrew too if it was more easily available. If you guys release a game then it has to work on the Plus, so NTSC only is fine, more than fine, preferable!

PAL 7800 games - Why complicate things for yourself? All NTSC is fine. 😋 👍🏻

(My knowledge is more limited on 7800 stuff, I am assuming there are compromises in PAL games on this system too?). 

New 7800 games have to have PAL and NTSC versions as the original machines are not compatible with a cart from outside the territory. 

1 minute ago, Ben from Plaion said:

New 7800 games have to have PAL and NTSC versions as the original machines are not compatible with a cart from outside the territory. 

Ah yes, they are digitally signed on NTSC machines aren't they.

2 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Ah yes, they are digitally signed on NTSC machines aren't they.

No, pretty sure it has to do with generating the HDMI output image.

7 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Most homebrews sense the target machine at bootup and adapt the game to PAL or NTSC.

Will the 2600+ start as NTSC by default?

1 hour ago, karri said:

Most homebrews sense the target machine at bootup and adapt the game to PAL or NTSC.

Will the 2600+ start as NTSC by default?

In the case of the incoming 7800 re-issues of  Ninja Golf, Food Fight and Fatal Run, a NTSC cart will run as NTSC in a 2600+ and a PAL cart will run as a PAL game in a 2600+

• Like 1

On 3/20/2024 at 10:45 PM, insertclevernamehere said:

My wife has made me see the error of my ways.  I realize that, in her words, I come across as a “know it all” and “rude and condescending”.  I must admit I have a tendency to do that in things I’m passionate about.  Therefore I apologize for my tone.

This was a while ago but i commend you for this :), if you're interested you might want to look into "Tone Indicators" which can make it easier for some to indicate your tone in text form.

• Thanks 1

On 5/19/2024 at 5:15 AM, Ben from Plaion said:

Well i am an NTSC user so i am happy about this, but i can sympathize with PAL atari friends 🧡.

I dont think i'll be moving to a PAL region anytime, but if i do, i'll lyk...