IGNORED

The 400 Mini

JetmanUK

Yes, I know this is a 2600+ forum. I am just wondering what the crossover is with the two machines. Who's getting one?

Mine will arrive today and it's a voyage of discovery for me, I have no prior experience or nostalgia for the Atari 8 bit computers or the 5200.

I had a 2600 then a ZX Spectrum BITD, my bro had a C64 which I also played on and later became mine too. There will be some crossover of games from those other systems, but it will be good to play new versions and more so games that are new to me. 

The first game I will play? I'm going for familiarity, Lee, I played it as Bruce Lee so much on the Spectrum and C64. A real top 10 game from my childhood. I see that a 2600 verison is in development, and I should download the 7800 version, which is best? Hmmm.

Does anyone have any must plays for the Mini 400? 

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 3

I’ve got a 400 on order.

They’re not available here in New Zealand so I pre-ordered from Amazon UK, which means it’ll be 1-2 weeks before it arrives.

I also have no experience of Atari 8 bit computers. I lived in the UK as a kid, and I didn’t know anyone who had one, I don’t think they really took off there. We all mostly had Commodore or Sinclair computers after the Atari VCS.

I’ve bought it on the back of happy experiences with the 2600+ and the C64 Maxi. For me, this one is a curiosity rather than nostalgia, and I’m looking forward to trying it out. I’ll probably work my way through all of the included 25 games!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, infinite.pies said:

I’ve got a 400 on order.

They’re not available here in New Zealand so I pre-ordered from Amazon UK, which means it’ll be 1-2 weeks before it arrives.

I also have no experience of Atari 8 bit computers. I lived in the UK as a kid, and I didn’t know anyone who had one, I don’t think they really took off there. We all mostly had Commodore or Sinclair computers after the Atari VCS.

I’ve bought it on the back of happy experiences with the 2600+ and the C64 Maxi. For me, this one is a curiosity rather than nostalgia, and I’m looking forward to trying it out. I’ll probably work my way through all of the included 25 games!

Yeah after the 2600 we were all Spectrum and C64, with a smattering of Amstrad CPC here in the UK. I didn't know anyone with an Atari 8 bit computer, 5200, or 7800 either actually.

In the UK Atari's popularity seemed to basically skip from the 2600 to the ST. Then the Lynx seemed to cause a (slight) stir, the Jaguar, hmmm, that was a quite a time. I had a Jaguar, my first Atari since the 2600. Funny that my first and second Atari's were their first and last.

I think enjoying the C64 Mini & Maxi and 2600+ so much too made me decide that the Mini 400 was a must buy. Let me know how you get on with it. 🤟🏻

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 3

TBH I'm pretty much done with 'minis'. I've been disappointed with the majority of them...

Although when I heard about the 400 mini I was initially curious. It's a shame they didn't release it as a scaled down version like the 2600+, rather than a 'mini'. With at least a working cart slot. Production time/cost etc I suppose.

It's had good reviews so far thou. I'm on the fence at the mo personally if I will actually get one...

• Like 1

There's a bunch of threads discussing the 400 mini over in the 8-bit forum.

I preordered one in January.  My first computer was a 400, so I'm looking forward to receiving the Mini.

As for must-plays not included, I plan to plug in a USB keyboard and play Star Raiders on the first day.

8 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

Yes, I know this is a 2600+ forum. I am just wondering what the crossover is with the two machines. Who's getting one?

Mine will arrive today and it's a voyage of discovery for me, I have no prior experience or nostalgia for the Atari 8 bit computers or the 5200.

I had a 2600 then a ZX Spectrum BITD, my bro had a C64 which I also played on and later became mine too. There will be some crossover of games from those other systems, but it will be good to play new versions and more so games that are new to me. 

The first game I will play? I'm going for familiarity, Lee, I played it as Bruce Lee so much on the Spectrum and C64. A real top 10 game from my childhood. I see that a 2600 verison is in development, and I should download the 7800 version, which is best? Hmmm.

I'm similar to you, having no prior experience of the Atari 8 bit line.

I got myself a 400 mini, and the first game I played was Yoomp! because that's a game I enjoyed on Atari 50.

I'm looking forward to diving more into the library, starting with the included games. Keep us posted how you get on with yours 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

Yeah after the 2600 we were all Spectrum and C64, with a smattering of Amstrad CPC here in the UK. I didn't know anyone with an Atari 8 bit computer, 5200, or 7800 either actually.

In the UK Atari's popularity seemed to basically skip from the 2600 to the ST. Then the Lynx seemed to cause a (slight) stir, the Jaguar, hmmm, that was a quite a time. I had a Jaguar, my first Atari since the 2600. Funny that my first and second Atari's were their first and last.

I think enjoying the C64 Mini & Maxi and 2600+ so much too made me decide that the Mini 400 was a must buy. Let me know how you get on with it. 🤟🏻

Very similar in Germany😊

Pong Clone, Arcade, 2600, C64 (nobody with a Spectrum but quite a few Scheider CPC  and a few 800XL), Amiga and quite a few ST.

I liked the Mega Drive, as it was similar to the Amiga, so I got a mini of it and the first two Nintendo minis (just to see how NES and SNES were alike).

I love my JP PCengine mini but that was it then.

My Amiga mini is my Raspi😉 and a A600 is ready to hook up🤙

My C64 is still real🕹 and easy to repair🔧, while the A600 SMD would be no fun to repair🔍

So, no more minis and no relationship to Atari 8 bit...

20230315_152538.jpg

20221221_210856.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Very similar in Germany😊

Pong Clone, Arcade, 2600, C64 (nobody with a Spectrum but quite a few Scheider CPC  and a few 800XL), Amiga and quite a few ST.

I liked the Mega Drive, as it was similar to the Amiga, so I got a mini of it and the first two Nintendo minis (just to see how NES and SNES were alike).

I love my JP PCengine mini but that was it then.

My Amiga mini is my Raspi😉 and a A600 is ready to hook up🤙

My C64 is still real🕹 and easy to repair🔧, while the A600 SMD would be no fun to repair🔍

So, no more minis and no relationship to Atari 8 bit...

20230315_152538.jpg

20221221_210856.jpg

The only "real" 80's computer I have left is a ZX Spectrum. Sadly, everything else was sold each time to trade up to my next computer, as I couldn't afford to keep everything as a kid.

My strategy now is to buy full size modern replicas (i.e. hardware with emulation) where possible of the devices I have a nostalgic connection to, so I have a 2600+ and a C64 Maxi so far.

Everything else is covered with the new mini versions where available, e.g. the Amiga 500 and the Atari 400. I'll probably buy any future mini versions that Retro Games/Plaion release. I'm hoping for at least an Amstrad and an Atari ST in future. I'm also likely to buy a Spectrum clone such as the N-Go at some point unless Retro Games release something Sinclair related.

I've tried software emulation on a computer and on a Raspberry Pi, but it just doesn't hit the spot for me!

It's a fun hobby.

• Like 1

Just tried my 400 Mini, sadly I have a faulty joystick!

There's no way it's meant to be like this. It registers down frequently when I try to go left or right. It's like there's a tiny sweet spot where right and left are. Even trying to navigate the menu I'm going down to options rather than along the carousel of games. I tried to play (Bruce) Lee, I just kept ducking. 🤷🏻🤣🤬

Ah well. 

• Sad 3

4 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

There's no way it's meant to be like this. It registers down frequently when I try to go left or right. It's like there's a tiny sweet spot where right and left are. Even trying to navigate the menu I'm going down to options rather than along the carousel of games. I tried to play (Bruce) Lee, I just kept ducking. 🤷🏻🤣🤬

Ah well. 

Same here.

I started a topic about it here... feel free to chime in:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Ah well. 

Many were not happy with the stick but rather complained about the buttons around the stick, so you randomly hit quit while playing...

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Many were not happy with the stick but rather complained about the buttons around the stick, so you randomly hit quit while playing...

Yeah I'd heard that too, I think it could be an issue for some people, the jury is out for now on that as all I can do is duck. 🤣

Seems others are having the same issue as me, I'll hold of a return to see if an official word on a replacement stick is forthcoming. Only for a week or so. 

Edited by JetmanUK

13 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

My 400 Mini should arrive tomorrow (Friday).  Already own a couple of 800XL and an 800 and have used 8-bit Atari's since the early 1980's, the 800XL was my first proper computer.   I'll be trying out Castle Crisis, Arkanoid and Leaderboard on the mini when it arrives.  

I'm a massive Atari fan in the first place so love having the 2600+ and now the imminent 400 arrival.  Hopefully any early issues will get sorted out with a firmware update.  Already cleared the space next to my A500 and TheC64 consoles for it :)

• Like 1

Just addiing here what I posted elsewhere. I think the 400 Mini is currently a joystick lottery...

I did some further testing on my laptop, I am sad to say it's the joystick and I highly doubt that its fixable with software.

To test the stick I used the CCS64 emulator and Bruce Lee, things I am super familiar with. I kept getting the same ducking down issue. In the emulator options you can adjust sensitivity in each axis... I was unable to eradicate the ducking down issue with even the lowest setting (99% for that axis, 100% turns it off). Sorry guys, the stick is duff.

I'd love a replacement, sadly I may have to send the whole package back, which is wasteful, and there's no guarantee that a replacement would include a good joystick.

This issue must be accepted by the manufacturer swifty, with replacements sticks sent to everyone with the problem, but time is ticking on my return to Amazon... It seems my most sensible course of action is to send it all back for a refund and hope for a hardware revision later. Shame.

• Like 1

I got one yesterday and tried it out a little today.  Serial 5754. It's smaller than I thought it would be, I don't know. Based on the 2600+ maybe.  I know its a true mini, but I wouldn't have minded 20-30% larger.  Anyway, my joystick seems perfectly fine.  I even got an extra but have not unboxed that one.  Feels somewhat like the CX-40+, but less stiff.  Not as loose as the AtGames CX-40 knock-offs I've been using, which feel something more akin to a Sanwa with a square gate.  But I didn't have any problems playing built-in games, including "Lee".  I did learn that 2600 Asteroids is way WAY better than this version, sorry.

Where the joystick fell down, and I think this is software, is when it tries to emulate the 5200 controller.  5200 Pac-Man was unplayable, and barely playable with adjustments to the controller settings.  This aspect needs more work.  The screen also seems slightly cropped vertically in 5200 game.  I was thinking about a general "solution" for 5200 gaming, and I think I'd prefer the 400 Mini over the GSP for this, but it just isn't working that good going by my brief Pac-Man experience.

Overall I really like the concept, like the software, the menus and nav, and that it runs Atari BASIC, can use a real keyboard and conceivably run other non-gaming software.  I never had an Atari anything but remember this era of gaming and home computers with my little TI-99, so this is really pretty cool.  Definitely more fiddly and less plug-and-play when games often need additional special buttons and keys and mapping is almost on a per-game basis, but given enough time to mess with it all I think it will be a pretty cool system

Posted (edited)

For those that haven't read it there is somewhat of a fix for this issue, loosen some screws. If you have a bad stick this doesn't make it perfect, but at least usable.

If you have a very light touch you may also be immune to the issue even if you have a bad stick.

Edited by JetmanUK

16 minutes ago, Brad_from_the_80s said:

..Where the joystick fell down, and I think this is software, is when it tries to emulate the 5200 controller.  5200 Pac-Man was unplayable, and barely playable with adjustments to the controller settings.  This aspect needs more work.  The screen also seems slightly cropped vertically in 5200 game.  I was thinking about a general "solution" for 5200 gaming, and I think I'd prefer the 400 Mini over the GSP for this, but it just isn't working that good going by my brief Pac-Man experience…

I’ve been giving this some thought lately.

When it comes to emulation, is there really any point in getting the 5200 version of titles when just about every single 5200 game was available as an Atari 8 bit game without analog joystick support? In other words, would the Atari 8 bit Pac-Man look and feel exactly the same as the 5200 Pac-Man, just with better controls?

The more I think about it, the less appealing 5200 emulation feels to me.

Aside from nostalgia for the actual system, is there another benefit I’m overlooking?

Edited by MikeM_

2 minutes ago, MikeM_ said:

I’ve been giving this some thought lately.

When it comes to emulation, is there really any point in getting the 5200 version of titles when just about every single 5200 game was available as an Atari 8 bit game which just removes the analog joystick support? In other words, with the Atari 8 bit Pac-Man look and feel exactly the same as the 5200 Pac-Man, but with better controls?

The more I think about it, the less appealing 5200 emulation feels to me.

Aside from nostalgia for the actual system, is there another benefit I’m overlooking?

You my be right.  That's just the first thing I tried since I had the roms laying around.  The 8-bit version is virtually identical, maybe that's true across the board.  I just didn't have it handy, don't even know if it is a cart or a disk or (lol) a tape.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MikeM_ said:

Atari 8 bit Pac-Man look and feel exactly the same as the 5200 Pac-Man, just with better controls?

This is true for most games excluding a few titles that do need analog sticks or were just different on the 8-bit vs. 5200.

I've heard Centipede is pretty different.

Before 1983 games were developed on the 8-bit then ported to the 5200. Space-Invaders, Pac-Man, Super Breakout, Star Raiders etc.

During 1983 and 84 games were developed, or at least released, first on the 5200 then the 8-bit line.

Galaxian, Dig Dug, Kangaroo, Ms. Pac-Man, Jungle Hunt, Joust, Moon Patrol, Pengo, Robotron, Mario Bros.

Generally if it's an 8-bit release play that version.

If they get the analog stick working right then 5200 versions would be, Galaxian, Defender, Missile Command, Centipede, Realsports Baseball, Space Dungeon(If they get dual stick going)

• Like 1

I guess the point though is that with the 400 mini, it doesn’t come with analog joystick so you aren’t getting that fine a control anyways.

You would have to add a different controller that has an analog control on it and the system would need to support that as well before you would even start getting close to that experience. 

if they built brand new 5200 controllers that self-centered and were significantly more reliable than the originals, then I might be interested. But as it stands, just about everything seems to be designed with a CX40 in mind.