IGNORED

A recursive copy command for SD 3.x that can run from CLI?

On 3/28/2024 at 8:26 PM, tschak909 said:

I need a command I can run as part of an automated backup batch file. Did someone write a recursive copy function for SpartaDOS 3.x? or am I gonna have to slam one together?

-Thom

As per the SpartaDOS X manual, the copy command has a recursive switch:   COPY  /R   A:\TEST   B:\         This would copy all directories and files under and including the A:\TEST directory, into the root directory of b: drive. This command can be used in batch files. 

Tom Hunt wrote RCopy.com and RDel.com which are recursive copy and delete commands for SpartaDOS 3.  I have used them a LOT even though the syntax is a little picky.

like: 

RCOPY D1:>*.* D2:>Test>*.*

(Note the :> chars are required)

Want to try them out?  You can get them on my BBS (link below) or I can move them from Atari to PC and post them here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bf2k+ said:

Tom Hunt wrote RCopy.com and RDel.com which are recursive copy and delete commands for SpartaDOS 3.  I have used them a LOT even though the syntax is a little picky.

like: 

RCOPY D1:>*.* D2:>Test>*.*

(Note the :> chars are required)

Want to try them out?  You can get them on my BBS (link below) or I can move them from Atari to PC and post them here.

oh cool, i'll download em! Thanks! :)

-Thom

23 hours ago, Ppyo said:

As per the SpartaDOS X manual, the copy command has a recursive switch:   COPY  /R   A:\TEST   B:\         This would copy all directories and files under and including the A:\TEST directory, into the root directory of b: drive. This command can be used in batch files. 

My Bad. I missed the part that read SpartaDos ver 3.

There is also a program called hardback or something like that. I am not sure whether it will run outside the user interface, but has a few very cool features (like only backing up files with a newer date). 

18 hours ago, Marius said:

There is also a program called hardback or something like that. I am not sure whether it will run outside the user interface, but has a few very cool features (like only backing up files with a newer date). 

Hardback isn't a CLI program... it is totally interactive in that it requires the user to answer a few questions.  

• Like 1

On 4/7/2024 at 4:34 AM, bf2k+ said:

Hardback isn't a CLI program... it is totally interactive in that it requires the user to answer a few questions.  

Yes I was already afraid so. But it is a wonderful and powerfool tool though... don't you agree?

9 hours ago, Marius said:

Yes I was already afraid so. But it is a wonderful and powerfool tool though... don't you agree?

Oh yes... I used it a whole lot back in the day.  In fact I beta tested it and wrote an article about it that was published in Antic.

• Like 2

On 4/9/2024 at 4:54 AM, bf2k+ said:

Oh yes... I used it a whole lot back in the day.  In fact I beta tested it and wrote an article about it that was published in Antic.

That is so cool. Which brings me to the question: are these articles somewhere archived? I would love to walk along memory lane and read this kind of things. I also love to see old advertisements in magazines. It is always so cool to see our so beloved atari 8bit equipment listed in a magazine. 

Fun detail (sorry this is completely offtopic by the way) is that I always loved the look of a 65XE in those advertisements. I remember seeing my own 800XL, a 65XE and 130XE in those ads, and I always though: oh wow look that beauty of the 65XE (and I still think 65XE is the best label... more beautiful than 130XE). And when I hook up my 65XE I am still thinking just like that. I love it. It is awesome. Some people say that every 7 year your taste appears to change... well not with this :D