IGNORED

Vectrex HSC - Apr 2024 - Scramble

This is my first attempt this morning at Scramble with my blue Vectorcade controller.  I tried the purple SNES controller but it's just not repeatable for diagonal movements, so I just can't reliably fly through the maze level with it.  The Vectorcade though does much better with diagonals.  I only had one life left by the time I got to the 3rd maze level, so I died... game over.

IMG_9440.JPG

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Doctor Snuggles said:

I tried it in jsVecx but with above link emu auto picks "Scramble_InfiniteLivesHack".

Please use this link till i find time to fix this:

https://drsnuggles.github.io/jsvecx?rom=Commercial/Scramble_1982

Oops, this happens if you guess names of ROMs and don't double -check. 😕 Thank you for your hint, Dr. Snuggles, I've just corrected the link in the initial post and changed it to the one that you've provided.

Edited by hcmffm

On 4/15/2024 at 2:53 AM, Doctor Snuggles said:

I tried it in jsVecx but with above link emu auto picks "Scramble_InfiniteLivesHack".

Please use this link till i find time to fix this:

https://drsnuggles.github.io/jsvecx?rom=Commercial/Scramble_1982

I tried to get a reasonable score with the emulator yesterday, and could not remember how to change the keyboard controls so that I could make the WASD keys the joystick and HJKL keys the buttons.  So I started playing around with trying to use a bluetooth gamepad as the input, and found that it wouldn't map the D-pad on my 8BitDo controllers by default, but would only map the analog left stick.

My second issue then was that the 8BitDo left stick wasn't fully going into the corner when pushing the stick diagonally, and this was causing the maze level to be completely unplayable.

My work around was to download a free joypad to key mapper app for Mac called Enjoyable v1.2, and use that to map the left stick to the arrow keys, and buttons to ASDF... then play with keyboard controls.

That worked, but every time I pressed button 4, or the F key... it was toggling fullscreen for some reason.  Luckily Scramble duplicates the BOMB / FIRE buttons on 1 and 2 as well, so I mapped by joypad buttons to be 1 and 2 only or A and S.  No more fullscreen issues.

Despite this, my best score with the emulator was only like 35k or so.  Still fun, but I think to get the really high scores you need a bit more control.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2024 at 9:07 PM, TheCurlyBard said:

I know, i'm finding I'm a bit busy but I have had a few practice runs

Oh, I didn't expect that people do practice runs until they submit their first score. I think it's more fun and challenging to post (almost) any score. But that's just my impression and feel free to practise more. As long as you don't submit a score of 150.000 on 30th April. 😉

On 4/16/2024 at 9:27 PM, playvectrex said:

... Despite this, my best score with the emulator was only like 35k or so.  Still fun, but I think to get the really high scores you need a bit more control.

Thank you, Brett, for your having tried emulation on a PC out and sharing your experience. I've tried out Scramble with Dr. Snuggles emulation on my smartphone and gave up pretty quickly because of the controls, too. I had the impression that there was some delay when controlling the ship but I might be wrong. I guess my fine motor skills are just not good enough to play games on a 5.8" screen with a virtual controller. 😉

Edited by hcmffm
  • Like 1

This was a super intense game, considering the last game I died at the 3rd maze level after almost making it through.  This game I got to the 3rd maze level with all 5 (or 6?) lives and sailed through first try!  I even had enough fuel to finish out the level.  Ran out of fuel the first part, tried again and kept getting enough fuel to make it to the second part but ran out of fuel again.  Then got through the second part and the asteroids field was super fast... almost made it to the end of that and died.  Then was doomed to lose the rest of my two lives pretty quickly there again.

My hands are still tingling from this run.

image.thumb.jpeg.2cd88340ae99d3b056954d6fcda11205.jpeg

I do feel like the asteroids level is the hardest to ace.  You'd think the 3rd maze level would be the hardest, but the asteroids are kind of random, so sometimes you just keep getting bad runs of the asteroids and can't avoid getting hit.

• Thanks 1

Nice!

I was going to post about the asteroids too, I rarely end my go there but it’s usually where most of my lives go! Also yeah, sometimes you spawn again and cannot get back down to ground level.

I made it to the 3rd maze for the first time. 

76 670

IMG_4192.thumb.jpeg.41abf6ec2099550a5180eb2b04e5dca4.jpeg

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, cheeko said:

Nice!

I was going to post about the asteroids too, I rarely end my go there but it’s usually where most of my lives go! Also yeah, sometimes you spawn again and cannot get back down to ground level.

I made it to the 3rd maze for the first time. 

76 670

Nice, and you got past the hardest parts first try!  Almost squeaked through!!

Yeah if you die on the Asteroids level, hold down and forward before you spawn for the best chance of getting down there... and be prepared to fly up and down like a crazy person just in case :D 

• Haha 1

‘One more go before hometime’

87 300

Opposite experience to your run playvectrex, I had a disaster in the first maze and lost all my lives in stupid ways, then somehow made it to the third maze from there on one life!

IMG_4203.thumb.jpeg.8fdcaeb2bdbbbb7868febefe4d32a279.jpeg

• Like 2

Played two more games while cooking a pizza and had a mini breakthrough.  Got to the 3rd maze level with 4 or 5 lives and then proceeded to choke and die over and over at the beginning of the maze entrance.  Made it through with last life and kept it going for a while barely hanging onto fuel multiple times.

image.thumb.jpeg.5780ea69a1268d522f03a327a387309a.jpeg

• Like 1

On 4/17/2024 at 4:29 AM, hcmffm said:

Oh, I didn't expect that people do practice runs until they submit their first score. I think it's more fun and challenging to post (almost) any score. But that's just my impression and feel free to practise more. As long as you don't submit a score of 150.000 on 30th April. 😉

Thank you, Brett, for your having tried emulation on a PC out and sharing your experience. I've tried out Scramble with Dr. Snuggles emulation and gave up pretty quickly because of the controls, too. I had the impression that there was some delay when controlling the ship but I might be wrong. I guess my fine motor skills are just not good enough to play games on a 5.8" screen with a virtual controller. 😉

Lol no I'm not hoarding huge scores, I guess I'm trying to get to my previous pb 

• Like 1

I afraid I'm going to have to bow out. Last night my Vectrex stopped working whilst playing Scramble.  The graphics stretched out for about 10 seconds, then shrunk to normal size. I switched the console off and when I switched it back on I got a humming sound with some flickering on screen then nothing.  I switched it on again an hour later and there was the humming with flickering but that also went to nothing. Now I get nothing at all. I don't really want to start messing around with the insides like I did with my old second Vectrex which I have since sold.  My laptop is also not working so I can't play via emulation either.  :(

I will get it sorted at some point, it's just not a priority at his time.

Anyone know of a good repair service in the UK? Preferably in the south.

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, Lord Innit said:

I afraid I'm going to have to bow out. Last night my Vectrex stopped working whilst playing Scramble.  The graphics stretched out for about 10 seconds, then shrunk to normal size. I switched the console off and when I switched it back on I got a humming sound with some flickering on screen then nothing.  I switched it on again an hour later and there was the humming with flickering but that also went to nothing. Now I get nothing at all. I don't really want to start messing around with the insides like I did with my old second Vectrex which I have since sold.  My laptop is also not working so I can't play via emulation either.  :(

I will get it sorted at some point, it's just not a priority at his time.

Anyone know of a good repair service in the UK? Preferably in the south.

Sounds like something shorted out upon powering it up... a surge taking out an old worn component.  A good section to check would be the -13VDC section which is a few caps and diodes.  I've heard of one of those caps shorting out taking out the -13VDC rail.  Easy to power up and measure the voltages on the large 4 pin connector and see if you have -13V and the other ones.  Obviously don't touch the neck PCB while it's on.  

https://retrorepairbear.co.uk/services/ comes up a lot in the facebook group for UK repairs.  Good luck and looking forward to seeing you come back :D 
image.thumb.png.26dcc0746f1d286b187adad8c14fc81f.png

Edited by playvectrex
  • Thanks 2

Ladies and gentlemen, I've finally done it this morning!  Blasted through 100k!  First game, sat down with my coffee blurry eyed... and only got a good drink of it after this game!  This was the best run I've had with Scramble and the score would have been much higher (130k+) if I collected everything along the way.  I tend to not do that because it involves really hugging the ground and flying forward a lot which is riskier.  I made it to the end of the 3rd maze level with 5 lives, but died exiting too low!  I typically avoid nudging the ship in these tight areas because it can lead to going too far and crashing into the opposite side.  That said, it restarted me at the Enemy Base level with 4 lives so no worries!  I died on something stupid on the Mountains level, and then made it to the Caverns with the next life and ran out of fuel... now with 2 lives, made it through the caverns.  At this point the vector gods of randomness were smiling down upon me because I breezed through the Flameoids/asteroids level without any trouble and ran out of fuel during the End City.  Restarting the End City with 1 life remaining, I just barely made it to the maze for the 4th time now... and MADE IT THROUGH the hardest maze level for a second time (or would you consider this the first... I dunno... semantics!)... this time not getting hung up on anything at the end.  HOWEVER... ran out of fuel right at the top of the Enemy Base level.  I already had well over 100k+ by this point, so with one life remaining I focused on not missing any fuel, but it ran out so fast you can see where I died trying to get the fuel there in the Mountains level.

image.thumb.jpeg.f1832e9c0482e45b3a42bf83ecbe90b5.jpeg

• Like 4

22 hours ago, playvectrex said:

https://retrorepairbear.co.uk/services/ comes up a lot in the facebook group for UK repairs.  Good luck and looking forward to seeing you come back

I've sent them a message, so hopefully will hear from them soon..

Also thinking of selling some stuff off, maybe my 7800 games, to fund buying a second Vectrex. Especially as it is probably most played retro console so a backup one would be nice. Should never have sold off my other one, but hey ho.

• Like 1