IGNORED

Vectrex HSC - Apr 2024 - Scramble

13 hours ago, Carey85 said:

Most impressive. Here is my feeble attempt to best your score. Try as I might, can't get thru that third maze.

IMG_20240421_085558961.jpg

If you have a flash cart, check out Scramble with infinite lives... it lets you practice the 3rd maze level a lot.  You can also start the GAME at 3 and get to that hard maze level the first encounter of it, if you'd like to speed things up.

You can see it took me over 550k points of tries before I got it for the first time :D :D and this is a very sketchy/dodgy attempt at that, with the joystick flapping all over the place.  I'm much smoother now with it!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Doctor Snuggles said:

@playvectrex

To find out button names for gamepads i use: https://hardwaretester.com/gamepad
Take care of the crazy non WASD order used here. Don't ask me why...
https://drsnuggles.github.io/jsvecx/?rom=Commercial/Scramble_1982&keys1=KeyW,KeyS,KeyA,KeyD,KeyH,KeyJ,KeyK,KeyL

Wow, not an official entry... but with this above link for the WASD HJKL key setup... I just played a few games and was finally able to beat the first maze level with the keyboard & emulator!
It took like 4 tries, wasting most of my lives... but I made it through and collected some more points.  Not bad for the emulator I'd say.
image.thumb.png.8be14a86bc54dcf28981f9a65325508f.png

11 hours ago, playvectrex said:

3RD MAZE LEVEL JOYSTICK MOVES

>> \ > / > \ >>> / >>> / >>> \ >>> / >>> \ >> \ >> / >>> / >>> \ >>>

(try not to correct with UP and DOWN too much, but UP is more forgiving than DOWN with the tight passages)

When you approach the 3rd maze level for the first time,

make sure you are somewhat forward >> and then / to drop down into the opening... it's tight!! 

You can send two bombs away before you go / as well if running out of fuel.

LEGEND

\ = UP and LEFT diagonal
/ = DOWN and LEFT diagonal
> = RIGHT a bit
>> = RIGHT a bit more
>>> = RIGHT all of the way!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49640 - I bet i couldn't get a slimmer improvement if i tried. I got much farther though, getting the hang of the maze.

For the first fully fledged hori shmup, it's a really tight game. It cripples my fingers, but I don't think auto fire would help as about timing one shot while spamming the other, dividing your concentration.

Love to find the arcade game, there's an event near me soon 

20240422_230142.thumb.jpg.87ec63c491fed0ac65518302dabf0490.jpg

• Like 3

Yeah still occasionally having a stab at this one, time has been short. You’re right @TheCurlyBard about the ship maneuvering, not sure this game is doing my controller any favours :D and yeah, also get quite a few rogue movements, but I’m sticking with it so I can at least claim full original hardware attempt 😛

Current best is a slight improvement. I believe my controller movements were >\>>/>\#%*!?!!!

89 950

IMG_4299.thumb.jpeg.7b73b98d4162fd4a9da0279056a9d762.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, cheeko said:

Yeah still occasionally having a stab at this one, time has been short. You’re right @TheCurlyBard about the ship maneuvering, not sure this game is doing my controller any favours :D and yeah, also get quite a few rogue movements, but I’m sticking with it so I can at least claim full original hardware attempt 😛

Current best is a slight improvement. I believe my controller movements were >\>>/>\#%*!?!!!

Kudos for sticking with original controller but going the wrong way in those tight spots is just too rage inducing for me.  I'll try to play more soon as I should be able to do well with the ps1 controller. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jbrodack said:

I'll try to play more soon as I should be able to do well with the ps1 controller. 

Whatever controller you use, make sure you can reliably move RIGHT without it glitching down or up, and reliably do a diagonal move (DOWN + LEFT) and (UP + LEFT).  A good way to check that your controller does this well is by loading up the Test Cart Rev. 4 and Joystick test OR the Joystick Test app buy Chris Binarystar.  When you have the controller in the neutral position, you should be able to tap RIGHT and let go and never see it go up or down.  Also when you check the diagonals, make sure the line touches all of the way up into the corner.  Do the same test where you are neutral and then move the stick directly into the diagonal.  If it doesn't reliably go fully diagonal, you will have serious trouble clearing the maze levels.  Usually when it won't go fully into the corner for diagonals, what you'll find happens in game is you think you are pressing into the corner... but you are a little more LEFT and UP/DOWN is not registering at the same time... so your ship doesn't go UP/DOWN right away when you need it to.  The opposite can happen as well, you end up going UP/DOWN but not LEFT so you end up crashing into the forward wall.

22 hours ago, cheeko said:

I believe my controller movements were >\>>/>\#%*!?!!!

Hahaha :D too funny.

• Thanks 1

😎

102 550

IMG_4329.thumb.jpeg.432b8a3c9bb214a022956dcb7a222095.jpeg

Should’ve been a much better score, had three lives and over 100k going into the meteors and it was brutal, no way through on the first life, dead before making it down the screen on the second and two close calls and death shortly after. 

I started a couple of games resuming that level afterwards and made it through there clean every time!

My controller is getting worse too, stuttering and more wild movements, like taming a stallion!

• Like 3

Note to self: Don’t read the thread just before you’re going to play and then know what the exact top score is. You’ll throw yourself off! Absolute idiot.

111 990 😁

I basically panicked about running out of fuel and flew too far forwards to bomb a fuel pod and hit the ship.

IMG_4347.thumb.jpeg.f50808c29affdbea5843a2b83aa263c7.jpeg

Also, two goes later 🤦‍♂️

IMG_4348.thumb.jpeg.1618887085abb62472cee225dfa14328.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 4/25/2024 at 8:27 AM, cheeko said:

Should’ve been a much better score, had three lives and over 100k going into the meteors and it was brutal, no way through on the first life, dead before making it down the screen on the second and two close calls and death shortly after.

Yeah that's like 95% of the time I get absolutely PWNED by the Flamoids level.  They are brutal indeed.

Great scores!!!  Congrats!  Yes, I also psyche myself out when I get close to my personal best!

Also... looks like I need to get back to playing Scramble, stat! :D

• Like 1

Busted out my original non-repo scramble overlay for this morning's attempts :D  Last night I got a couple 100k+ scores, but it wasn't meant to be. 
This morning did about 3 full games, and this was the 3rd one.  I could really feel that tunnel vision creeping in when I was doing well, and then 

started to die by stupid things.  I had to blink a bit and shake it off... what a weird feeling!  I can honestly say this game I didn't die on any maze 

level attempts, and this is heading into the maze for the 4th time, and just did a stupid thing and pulled down to be closer to the ground and crashed

into the ground.  I'm sure I had enough fuel to get to the maze and attempt it, but I know from trying the next mountains level that fuel goes fast

and you won't last long after this.  So possibly another 5k points available.  I think I died only one time on the Flamoids level, on the 4th time through

that level. I did much better this time collecting things as well, but there's still room for improvement.  After my first two games this morning I shut the

vectrex off and though I was done, had some sips of coffee and decided try again after I settled down a bit.  Really glad I played one more game!

image.thumb.jpeg.c86b8dfae31bd5ba98116bde87283b00.jpeg

• Like 2

Really good playing, Brett and cheeko. All players do pretty well, btw.

Just for fun and out of curiosity I've just looked up top Scramble scores in past Vector Wars:

Vector War I: 66,140 hcmffm

Vector War II: 78,100 Lady Eclipse

Vector War III: 138,720 Chainsaw

Vector War VIII: 126,440 Chainsaw

Vector War XIII: 145,140 Chainsaw

I'm not 100% sure but AFAIK Chainsaw even played with original Vectrex controller.

Now that Brett has doubled my score I have to play and reach a higher score. 😉 3 days to go...

Edited by hcmffm
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, hcmffm said:

Really good playing, Brett and cheeko. All players do pretty well, btw.

Just for fun and out of curiosity I've just looked up top Scramble scores in past Vector Wars:

Vector War I: 66,140 hcmffm

Vector War II: 78,100 Lady Eclipse

Vector War III: 138,720 Chainsaw

Vector War VIII: 126,440 Chainsaw

Vector War XIII: 145,140 Chainsaw

I'm not 100% sure but AFAIK Chainsaw even played with original Vectrex controller.

Now that Brett has doubled my score I have to play and reach a higher score. 😉 3 days to go...

I had Redelf's score of 130k on TG in my head, but also Chainsaw's score of 138k in my head from vectrex.co.uk/hiscore.htm

I totally forgot about the insane 145k from VWXIII.

I better keep trying while I got the feeling for everything.  Last night got 116k and 119k.

• Like 2

Had the clean run through the first 4 levels I’ve been waiting for…then my kid ran in wailing and crying and I had to deal with it and abandoned 2 lives, made it back whilst the game was still running and this was the final score  🤦‍♂️ 

119 930

IMG_4423.thumb.jpeg.29f0daf41758e8ba27fc292dca0e86f5.jpeg

• Like 3

Am I dragging the bottom again?? I was pretty happy with this. Just finishing a loop is an accomplishment for me, haha.

IMG_9345.thumb.jpeg.f26a97bb242d19887c2e59bac61bb140.jpeg

52290 on Analogue Pocket, which felt a little fast. Planning to give it a try on real hardware after dark.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Am I dragging the bottom again?? I was pretty happy with this. Just finishing a loop is an accomplishment for me, haha.

Thanks for joining in another round, my brother. Currently, you're third last - seems like you'll miss out the red lantern this round.

1 hour ago, jbrodack said:

What's the deadline for the month to end? 

Deadline for this third round of the Vectrex HSC is 30th April. 😁 O.k., just kidding - sure enough you want to know the exact deadline. @TheCurlyBard will announce it, soon.

@Doctor Snuggles, @scalpel, @MattPilz: Still at least a full day to join in round 3...

Edited by hcmffm

18 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

IMG_9345.thumb.jpeg.f26a97bb242d19887c2e59bac61bb140.jpeg

52290 on Analogue Pocket, which felt a little fast. Planning to give it a try on real hardware after dark.

Yo, you got it working... Nice!  I wanna see a video :D  The image looks good though.  I was going to buy one during the last restock, but still hadn't seen anyone say it was working well for Vectrex.

21 hours ago, cheeko said:

Had the clean run through the first 4 levels I’ve been waiting for…then my kid ran in wailing and crying and I had to deal with it and abandoned 2 lives, made it back whilst the game was still running and this was the final score  🤦‍♂️ 

119 930

IMG_4423.thumb.jpeg.29f0daf41758e8ba27fc292dca0e86f5.jpeg

Nice improvement!!  Haha... usually when I'm gaming with a good score everything be damned... recently the stove was beeping and some food was done and I yelled out, "STOVE'S BEEEEEPING!!!!!!" lol.  I have had my family come into the room right as I'm doing well, and start talking to me.  Usually I'm pretty focused and it doesn't matter, but sometimes it does and they ask if they made me die.  I always reply, no... I just need to get good.  I do wish Scramble had a pause point though because it does happen often enough that I need to attend to something.

Yeah, old school gaming takes no prisoners.

I’m tapping out on this one, had a few goes earlier and got 117k and 118k during two of the runs, I need a break from the annoying deaths 😁 can’t seem to get to the final stretch with more than 1 spare life.

My plan I devised was to get to the 5th run through, get to the city before the maze, and ditch the ship into the ground before starting the 5th maze, the city is worth 7000 points, so doing that for 4 lives gets you more points than an entire run through, but alas it wasn’t to be. Can definitely get into the 130k+ bracket doing that.

Congrats @playvectrex you were always a step ahead.

Edited by cheeko
  • Like 1