IGNORED

IntyBASIC Tiny Contest 2024: Entries thread!!!

Hi all.

This is the entries thread for the IntyBASIC Tiny Contest 2024. It will be open until Apr/30/2024 23:59 GMT

ATTENTION!!! DON'T POST HERE UNTIL READING THE RULES: https://forums.atariage.com/topic/364177-intybasic-tiny-contest-2024/

THIS IS A THREAD FOR CONTEST ENTRIES ONLY!!!

ATTENTION!!! THE CONTEST IS NOW CLOSED AND A POLL WILL BE OPENED!

If you have comments about any of the entries or the contest, please post them in the thread above.

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

OK, let's get this road on the show.  I present for your consideration Chippi.  This submission may incur the wrath of Mike's Gaming Gala, you have been warned! :mad:

I've been asked a couple of times whether it's possible to write an emulator in IntyBASIC.  Chippi is proof that the answer to this question is YES!  Chippi implements Joseph Weisbecker's CHIP-8 virtual machine from the 1970s.  It's a new version of quite possibly the most ported emulator ever, which brings a load of much needed demakes of old classics to the Intellivision.  Not only that, but Mr Turtle hands down beats the majority of the lo-res, monochrome and monotone conversions it makes available on your favourite 16-bit platform:

chippi.gif.edd4d0416799703eb3612e9a2e43f541.gif

Chippi is an ECS program written in 4K decles and loads CHIP-8 programs from ECS tapes into RAM.  Chippi was deliberately made this small so that even if the largest possible CHIP-8 program is loaded (4KB / 3.2K decles), the total will be less than the 8K decles allowed by the IntyBASIC competition rules.  Chippi also uses the ECS keyboard to emulate the hexadecimal keypad of the original.  Unfortunately, as the CHIP-8 only has a beeper, I've not found a use for the ECS synthesizer, although it was tempting to cobble together the world's worst synthesizer program.  As you can see in the GIF above, Chippi supports an enhanced SuperGRAFIX mode in JzIntv, and on a Tutor-Pro with additional GRAM or Tutorvision, it's the only way to play!

CHIP-8 emulator features:

• Full compatibility with CHIP-8 programs including shift and memory "quirks" modes
  • Emulation speed control
  • 7-colour monochrome 64x32 resolution graphics
  • Double resolution SuperGRAFIX mode on Tutorvision and Tutor-Pro with 2K GRAM
  • 3-voice monotone sound (A major triad)
  • Volume control
  • CHIP-8 and ECS keyboard layouts

Oh, one more thing!  As well as comprehensive instructions, I've included eight game tapes in the zip archive below for you to get up and running right away. :thumbsup:

This one's for you @MGG, enjoy!

chippi.zip

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

image.jpeg.2c272925cab63588b0ad06cd4a6a45e5.jpeg        image.jpeg.d4e2333b387dd48bceeac5b0e3cef264.jpeg

Name: Max-It!

Description: Challenge a friend or the computer in this classic board game. Capture a number and corner your opponent. Use your strategy to make him lose points. Risk everything by capturing wildcard value. For 1 or 2 players.

Brief Manual:
The game features a 10x10 board with a number filled in each cell (between -15 and 15).
Player 1 moves only horizontally and player 2 only moves vertically.
Each player, in turn, must choose an available number and press the button to capture it. The value will be added or subtracted from your score (values with a gray background are positive and values with a red background are negative). The last number captured will be shown next to the scoreboard.
The "wildcard" cells have a hidden number and their value will only be revealed after the player captures it.
During the game, a random scan of the board may occur and one cell will be hidden with a white card. Just like the wildcard, this cell has a hidden number, but its value will be doubled when captured.
The game ends when all numbers have been captured or when a player is unable to play. The player with the highest score will be the winner.

• Select the number of players from the menu.
  • Use the 0 key to turn the sound on or off during the game.

Have fun!

Sergio Vares

Maxit.rom

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

On 4/7/2024 at 11:22 AM, decle said:

OK, let's get this road on the show.  I present for your consideration Chippi.  This submission may incur the wrath of Mike's Gaming Gala, you have been warned! :mad:

I've been asked a couple of times whether it's possible to write an emulator in IntyBASIC.  Chippi is proof that the answer to this question is YES!  Chippi implements Joseph Weisbecker's CHIP-8 virtual machine from the 1970s.  It's a new version of quite possibly the most ported emulator ever, which brings a load of much needed demakes of old classics to the Intellivision.  Not only that, but Mr Turtle hands down beats the majority of the lo-res, monochrome and monotone conversions it makes available on your favourite 16-bit platform:

chippi.gif.edd4d0416799703eb3612e9a2e43f541.gif

Chippi is an ECS program written in 4K decles and loads CHIP-8 programs from ECS tapes into RAM.  Chippi was deliberately made this small so that even if the largest possible CHIP-8 program is loaded (4KB / 3.2K decles), the total will be less than the 8K decles allowed by the IntyBASIC competition rules.  Chippi also uses the ECS keyboard to emulate the hexadecimal keypad of the original.  Unfortunately, as the CHIP-8 only has a beeper, I've not found a use for the ECS synthesizer, although it was tempting to cobble together the world's worst synthesizer program.  As you can see in the GIF above, Chippi supports an enhanced SuperGRAFIX mode in JzIntv, and on a Tutor-Pro with additional GRAM or Tutorvision, it's the only way to play!

CHIP-8 emulator features:

• Full compatibility with CHIP-8 programs including shift and memory "quirks" modes
  • Emulation speed control
  • 7-colour monochrome 64x32 resolution graphics
  • Double resolution SuperGRAFIX mode on Tutorvision and Tutor-Pro with 2K GRAM
  • 3-voice monotone sound (A major triad)
  • Volume control
  • CHIP-8 and ECS keyboard layouts

Oh, one more thing!  As well as comprehensive instructions, I've included eight game tapes in the zip archive below for you to get up and running right away. :thumbsup:

This one's for you @MGG, enjoy!

chippi.zip 15.27 kB · 4 downloads

Awesome entry!  I was debating whether to implement CHIP-8 on the Intellivision myself but you beat me to it.  I used the HP-48 calculator's Super-CHIP for games back in the day (it's an improved version of the CHIP-8).

• Thanks 1

image.png.ccfa86bc3565a0a675155b54c94f04f2.png     Screen2.png.ae193ee823b884b6a06e4b102a9e3927.png

Name: Kart-Tag!

Description: Race to catch the tags as quickly as possible, for each of the six courses. Watch out for obstacles.

Instructions:

• Press 1 to play the standard courses. For random courses, press 2 at the start screen.
  • Controls during gameplay: press a main fire button or up on the disc to accelerate;  press an alternate fire button or down on the disc to decelerate; press left or right on the disc to turn left or right. Each course starts when you first accelerate.
  • Race to collect the required number of tags as quickly as possible. When the required number of tags has been reached, the level is complete. Missing a tag means you'll have to wait for the next tag to "drop".
  • Hitting obstacles on the road will slow you down significantly. Making turns will also slow you down, although to less of a degree.
  • There are six courses in a game, with increasing Go Kart power. After completing all six courses, your course times and overall time will be shown. Play again to try to beat your records. The best times for standard play are kept separate from those for random play.
  • Easter egg #1: Press 9 at the start screen, then press 7 and 8 to select a starting "seed" number. This will change the course sequence accordingly. Only the sequence of the numbers changes, so some values will provide similar courses. When set, press 2 to start the game.
  • Easter egg #2: Press 6 at the start screen, then press 4 and 5 to select how soon the tag starts to drop. 2 is standard, 1 is sooner, and 0 is soonest. Press 3 when set, then press 1 or 2 to start the game.

kart.rom

Cheers!

Harvey

• Like 14

Name: Canyon Escape

Capturedcran2024-04-12142644.thumb.png.f154094f669bdbe9ee697d422d165a94.png

Description: You need to escape from you evil enemies travelling through a narrow canyon

Instructions:

• Press any key to start the game
  • Controls during gameplay: 
    • Directions to move UP, DOWN, LEFT and RIGHT
    • LEFT/RIGHT BUTTON to fire left/right rocket
  • Avoid or destroy rocks
  • Collect Fuel, current tank level is shown on top right of screen, running out of fuel will cost you one life
  • Additional life bonus appears fom time to time
  • Especially avoid enemy rockets fired from top of screen
  • Your score will be displayed if you reach end of the canyon, score is based on remaning lifes, fuel, collected lifes and fuel as well as number of destroyed rocks

CanyonEscape.rom

Enjoy!

YannAros

Edited by YannAros
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

MS. PAKU PAKU

This is based on the Pac-Line and Paku Paku games. You just need to gobble all the dots to get to the next level. The power pellet will let you eat the ghosts, but as the levels increase then the amount of time it lasts will decrease. There are BONUS letters that appear, if you eat all 5 Letters then you get a bonus score and eating the 'S' gives you the power pellet effect to eat ghosts. Some of the ghosts will also eat the BONUS letters before you can get to it.

You just need to press any button to change direction.

Have Fun! 😃

paku-title.jpg

Ms-Paku-Paku.jpg

paku.rom

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

Okay, it's time for me to upload my contest entry.

Pensate

A turn-based strategy game for 1 player.  Walk across a chessboard without colliding with other objects.

No peripherals or additional cartridge features are used: ECS, Intellivoice, JLP, or any Tutorvision hardware features such as extra RAM, extra GRAM, or REx.  However, the game autodetects which GROM you're using, so the arrows are consistent in shape.  See the illustrations below.

image.gif.30254adda77d54272bb1211ca8bdd821.gif image.gif.0e657434f994ea3393d50032d33d0d16.gif

Instructions:

The only controls are: up, down, left, right, and any action button (hereafter referred to as "the button").

At the start of each level, enemies randomly populate onto the chessboard.  There are 5 enemies on the first level.  No more than one enemy will appear in the bottom row.  Move left/right to select your starting position in the bottom row, and press the button to begin play.

Move up/down/left/right to an adjacent space on the chessboard.  Every time you move, each enemy will also move, one at a time.  A legend on the left side of the screen illustrates how each enemy moves according to your move.  Enemies can wrap around the chessboard (but you cannot), but if an enemy tries to move into a space occupied by another enemy, it will return to its original position.  If you move into an enemy, or an enemy moves into you, the game is over.  Press the button to start a new game.

If you reach the top row of the chessboard, you earn points.  The number of points earned is based on your number of moves and time taken to make moves.  Press the button to start the next level.  With each subsequent level, one additional enemy comes into play.  Start again from anywhere within the bottom row.  You win if you complete 10 levels.

Notes:

• This was originally a Commodore 64 game, written in 1983 by Penguin Software.  I originally played the Windows 3.1 port, and based the legend on the table in the Windows Help file.  With my port, I added a chessboard theme and put in some pretty harp arpeggiations for music.
  • There is still about 1K of addressable ROM space available.  I might post another version to add a nice endgame tune.
  • One more thing: I livestreamed development of this game on my Twitch channel, if you care to watch its development from the ground up.

pensate.bin pensate.cfg

Edited by Zendocon
Added a note about Twitch development livestreams
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Below is an updated version of Chippi that includes the following features and fixes:

chippi.gif.a8740628f8cfec5ea464306f38f19daa.gif

•  Added PiiP-8, a CHIP-8 program which computes the digits of PI (just in case people viewed my using other's CHIP-8 work as cheating)
  •  Used JoeZ's bin2wav program to add WAV files of each ECS program tape, allowing Chippi to be used on real hardware
  •  10%-20% speed improvement (game dependent)
  •  Added (F)ull speed mode that runs the emulator as fast as possible
  •  Added the ability to pick the (dis)chord of the beeper from a choice of 8
  •  Changed the key that adjusts sound volume to down arrow, to better match the the use of up arrow to select the chord
  •  Each game now has a default colour scheme, chord and speed that will be used if you don't tweak the configuration before loading it
  •  Errors in the documentation have been corrected
  •  Graphical bleed-through immediately after loading a new game following a M/C reset has been fixed
  •  An overflow edge case bug in the implementation of the LD [I], Vx instruction has been fixed
  •  Bit of code crunch to keep the ROM to 4K

ROM: chippi-240426.zip

• Like 5

The Blob!

As the blob, you have 25 turns to engulf "the city".

Your blob starts out as the color in the upper left corner.

At each turn, select an adjacent color to expand your blob.
Your blob then becomes that new color.

Use the highlighted keypad numbers to select the
expansion color:  #1 for blue, #2 for red, etc.

Pressing #8 will put the game into auto-play mode, where the
computer randomly selects the next color.  (This just provides
a quicker way to get to the end of the game, to test end game
features.  Such random color choices typically result in a loss,
as there is no computer intelligence involved.)

At the end of the game, press keypad #7 to replay the same game,
or keypad #9 to start a new game.

Or, if you won the game, press #0 for a ***bonus game***
before beginning a new game.

title.gif

screen.gif

blob.rom

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Name: Pinty

pinty.gif.9ef84a44daa92da9397474df60ea8bcd.gif

Description: Bake psychedelic pi whilst chilling to Don McLean :music:

Instructions: Use the disc to select the number of digits you need, then hit the upper side button to start your path to circular heaven.  Remember to use an ECS for the best 70's audio experience. Note that as the requested number of digits goes up, the time to compute each digit also increases.

ROM: pinty-240427.zip

Notes: Both Pinty and PiiP-8 were inspired by a couple of really cool machines created by The Science Elf and bornach that calculate Pi using the so-called spigot algorithm created by Stanley Rabinowitz and Stan Wagon.  Bonus marks for anyone who predicted the inclusion of PiiP-8 in the latest version of Chippi might mean an Inty version was inbound. :thumbsup:

I thought that implementing a Pi machine on the CHIP-8 might be interesting, given how slow and limited it is.  Turns out the arcane instruction set makes writing code on the CHIP-8 rather more challenging than the Inty.  Pinty came about as a proof of concept and performance benchmark for PiiP-8.  Then it struck me, let's slap some lipstick on the pig and see if anyone oinks! 🐷 So here is Pinty, the six voice, Rainbow Brite Pi machine for the Inty.

For those that are interested, Pinty is about 50 times faster than PiiP-8 running at full speed inside Chippi (no the GIF isn't broken, it's really that slow):

piip.gif.9c58b43a9263d5c9eea94883102e82b9.gif

Despite this, Pinty will take approximately 80 hours to compute 4000 digits (without using JzIntv's macho mode), something that's done in rather less than a second on a laptop.  I've include the source code for a C implementation of the spigot algorithm, as well as that implemented in both Pinty and PiiP-8 in the zip archive. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Name: Sheep It Up!

sheep-it-up-title.gif.593cf99b05dedf51013df92bae28bb4a.gif  sheep-it-up-screenshot.gif.7f7d0a2ecdbad58f49387a215a54c1cb.gif

Description: Sheep It Up! is an arcade game where a sheep has to climb up by hanging himself to flying velcro straps. The concept is simple, but the game rapidly gets quite challenging: how high can you climb without falling down?

sheep-it-up-gameplay.gif.eb22ee053d7c488235eecb5cecaa1a35.gif

Instructions: Press one of the two top action buttons to jump. You can use left / right on the disc to move left or right while in air (you can't move on the ground). You get 1 point for a regular jump (from one velcro strap to the other one just above) and 3 points for a long jump (from one velcro strap to the second one above).

If you are looking for a challenge, my current record is 24 points:

sheep-it-up-record.gif.891a5b7f5dd88494fc144a9ae44190cf.gif

ROM: sheepitup.rom

About: This is a port of my game Sheep It Up! originally created for the Game Boy and the Atari 2600. I've been eyeing at the Intellivision for quite a long time, and this contest has been the perfect opportunity to finally try my hand at making a game for this great machine! So thanks a lot @nanochess for running this friendly contest, and for creating IntyBASIC in the first place. I'm really amazed by how powerful it is, and I know there are still many features and tricks that I have yet to discover!

So I hope you'll enjoy this tiny game, and I'm eager to see someone break my current highscore ;)

Have fun!

Edited by drludos
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, drludos said:

Name: Sheep It Up!

sheep-it-up-title.gif.593cf99b05dedf51013df92bae28bb4a.gif  sheep-it-up-screenshot.gif.7f7d0a2ecdbad58f49387a215a54c1cb.gif

Description: Sheep It Up! is an arcade game where a sheep has to climb up by hanging himself to flying velcro straps. The concept is simple, but the game rapidly gets quite challenging: how high can you climb without falling down?

sheep-it-up-gameplay.gif.eb22ee053d7c488235eecb5cecaa1a35.gif

Instructions: Press one of the two top action buttons to jump. You can use left / right on the disc to move left or right while in air (you can't move on the ground). You get 1 point for a regular jump (from one velcro strap to the other one just above) and 3 points for a long jump (from one velcro strap to the second one above).

If you are looking for a challenge, my current record is 24 points:

sheep-it-up-record.gif.891a5b7f5dd88494fc144a9ae44190cf.gif

ROM: sheepitup.rom 15.06 kB · 2 downloads

About: This is a port of my game Sheep It Up! originally created for the Game Boy and the Atari 2600. I've been eyeing at the Intellivision for quite a long time, and this contest has been the perfect opportunity to finally try my hand at making a game for this great machine! So thanks a lot @nanochess for running this friendly contest, and for creating IntyBASIC in the first place. I'm really amazed by how powerful it is, and I know there are still many features and tricks that I have yet to discover!

So I hope you'll enjoy this tiny game, and I'm eager to see someone break my current highscore ;)

Have fun!

https://youtu.be/76wzA2A2T1Q?si=Ui422hTyrODMOXzc

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...