IGNORED

What do you think of the Atari 2600+ at the moment...

shane857

32 minutes ago, shane857 said:

I still play my Atari 2600+, thou not as often now.

It seems to me support and updates are fading..

I know there is supposed to be an official update in November. Will that include support for driving controller and keypad games thou? 🤔

Support is fading? We've just announced 10 new games and 2 wireless controllers.

Updates are fading? Maybe they are less frequent, but thats down the smaller list of fixes being requested, the guys have vastly improved catridge compatibilty and performance of the machine throughout the year. Things like left like CDFJ compatibility are harder. But I can tell you that work still continues here

As for the driving controller and keypad compatibility, I still have no further news.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

The most recent update was released in Mid-July. It's still early September.

C'mon man.

Yeh, I know that. Almost a year thou for an official update? I'm not disrespecting the console, almost a year thou..

13 minutes ago, shane857 said:

Ok thanks. I just don't want to play Indy 500 and Star Raiders on a 7800+. It should be playable on the 2600/+ where they were originally released..

I know you want to play those games. I want you to play those games. However I've not been able to make it work yet, and by god I've tried.

Edited by Ben from Plaion
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Just now, shane857 said:

Yeh, I know that. Almost a year thou for an official update? I'm not disrespecting the console, almost a year thou..

As I've said before there will be zero difference between the latest experimental firmware and anything released as official.

Only thing stopping an official status is that I wanted to release a more streamlined updated process. But so far I have not been able to acheive this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, shane857 said:

As I've said to everyone who keeps saying this, You're too hung up on the word "Experimental" in that thread title. All of the latest builds that have been released here ARE official. That "experimental" name in the thread title was temporary.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Slight correction to my previous post.

Just curious - I know you're working on that on your side, but has anyone thougth of reaching out to John Champeau (Champ Games owner) for any possible extra insight or assistance on this? I would think it would be in his direct interest to assist, if possible, since it opens up a whole new customer base for him.

I absolutely appreciate that all those at ATARI are doing what they can so that older gamers like me can continue to enjoy ATARI as we remember it growing up.  The firmware that has been done so far is absolutely amazing. It seems like compatibility is at least 98%.  Far higher than when the 2600+ first came out.  I have faith that given time Ben from Plaion will eventually figure out how to make those rarely used controllers like the keypad usable so lets please give this man a break.  Thank you very much ATARI/PLAION.

• Like 5

Just now, John Stamos Mullet said:

Just curious - I know you're working on that on your side, but has anyone thougth of reaching out to John Champeau (Champ Games owner) for any possible extra insight or assistance on this? I would think it would be in his direct interest to assist, if possible, since it opens up a whole new customer base for him.

I corresponded with John just last week. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This is the best retro console purchase I've made yet, hands down. For me personally, I'm just hoping for Star Raiders controller support and a little better visuals for Tower Topple. I was all smiles once Pitfall 2 was playable! This system has also got me into buying homebrews too!

4.75 out of 5.

Edited by Striker667xbl
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Striker667xbl said:

This is the best retro console purchase I've made yet, hands down. For me personally, I'm just hoping for Star Raiders controller support and a little better visuals for Tower Topple. I was all smiles once Pitfall 2 was playable! This system has also got me into buying homebrews too!

4.75 out of 5.

I'll take it.

Star Raiders I'll add you to the list

Tower Toppler, I saw a visual option in a recent test build that might just help that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I watched a video where the guy who I think is from England complained that for what he had to pay atari to get the system with the 10 game cartridge and the joystick that he felt it just wasnt worth the money but I strongly disagree with this guy.  If you translate $130 dollars today into 1980s money that is VERY cheap and the atari back then cost how much?  you only got 1 game back then and it was usually either combat or pac-man.  I think the 2600+ is an awesome deal and a great system.  I feel like a kid again.

• Like 3

A few years ago I sold all my Atari stuff because I felt I lost the passion for collecting. The prices got ridiculous and I didn’t feel like spending a fortune on an old game. Thanks to Ben and Atari I found that passion for Atari again. I’m happy with my 2600+ so far. I’m also happy to be seeing 30+ year old games being sold for an affordable price. Thank you Ben and Atari. Keep up the good work.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JOD-I said:

I watched a video where the guy who I think is from England complained that for what he had to pay atari to get the system with the 10 game cartridge and the joystick that he felt it just wasnt worth the money but I strongly disagree with this guy.  If you translate $130 dollars today into 1980s money that is VERY cheap and the atari back then cost how much?  you only got 1 game back then and it was usually either combat or pac-man.  I think the 2600+ is an awesome deal and a great system.  I feel like a kid again.

Tell him check EBay prices recently. I’d rather pay what Atari is charging than what Amazon and EBay are charging. I agree I’m loving it so far and thought the price was right.

Edited by LynxJagLunatic
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, shane857 said:

Ok thanks. I just don't want to play Indy 500 and Star Raiders on a 7800+. It should be playable on the 2600/+ where they were originally released..

I’m sympathetic, but my desire to play Star Raiders trumps my feelings about aesthetics - plus controller ports on the front is pretty handy. Only thing that might keep my 2600+ to hand is the behaviour of the B&W/Pause button in Starmaster 🤔

I love my 2600+, I just wish they'd given it an SD card slot.  Presumably this would not have cost much more.  People will still collect actual cartridges and will buy actual new releases, and just about every single ROM is out there in a million places on the internet.  Could have hidden it on the back somewhere out of the way.  I understand why they probably didn't, but my guess is it would have sold WAY more consoles if it had one.    

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I'll take it.

Star Raiders I'll add you to the list

Tower Toppler, I saw a visual option in a recent test build that might just help that.

I was here always bugging about Star Raiders, but to be honest, I realized that Star Master and Solaris scratch that itch for me. In fact Solaris is better. 

• Like 1

Tell you what I think of the 2600+

I worked a 17-hour shift yesterday and as soon as I got home, got out of the shower, and made a cup of coffee, the first thing I did was pop in berzerk and play with my blue button CX-78. It's got a beautiful, clear picture that looks wonderful on my big-ass TV. It's a bad day when I don't get 5 or 10 minutes to play.

I'm also looking forward to getting my 7800+ so I can have it in my game room and I can put my 2600+ in my sunroom. 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, LynxJagLunatic said:

Tell him check EBay prices recently. I’d rather pay what Atari is charging than what Amazon and EBay are charging. I agree I’m loving it so far and thought the price was right.

Well, the prices were relatively cheap before christmas last year.

If the games are rare tho, you will have to pay. The only one that I really want that I still have to source is commando. I was hoping for a re-release, but it isn't going to happen. 

• Like 1