IGNORED

What do you think of the Atari 2600+ at the moment...

shane857

I'm pretty close to ditching my UAV modded  7800 for this system.

7800's starting show it's age, and the 2600+ support from Ben and the various Devs here on the forum have made it a blast to dig into and test the crap out of games.

I got too bored with the 7800 because SD carts made it too easy. I like buying and using real carts.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

7800's starting show it's age, and the 2600+ support from Ben and the various Devs here on the forum have made it a blast to dig into and test the crap out of games.

I got too bored with the 7800 because SD carts made it too easy. I like buying and using real carts.

I couldn’t agree more! I have my original 7800 it works great still but I never use it much. Connecting it to any HDMI TV some game sprites appear very dark making the games unplayable. If I adjust the brightness it just washes out the picture. It’s fine on an old TV but then you have RF interference. I like the clear HDMI picture from the Atari 2600+.

Same here. I like buying and using real carts as well.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

If you do ditch your 7800 system you should also think about ditching those Awesome Actiplaque Cartridges you relabeled and send them my way HaHa!

Edited by MrChickenz

The fact that it's multiregion is actually the 2600 Plus's 'killer app', absolutely it's number one feature, from a PAL region users perspective anyway. Perhaps it also playing 7800 games is the 'killer app' for other users. 

I have video modded OG hardware and yeah OK it's not as good as HDMI but it's not bad, but being able to play NTSC versions is (2600) life changing. I am otherwise reliant on PAL60 conversions of games via the Harmony cart, which is my main bugbear with OG hardware. 

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 5

If there was a multicart that worked properly on the 2600+, I would buy that along with a multicart. However, I'm less concerned about the 2600+'s compatibility issues and more about AtariAge not having a section in its store for purchasing digital copies.

Nevertheless, maybe I'll still buy the 2600+ eventually when I have the funds during the holiday season or somewhat earlier than that, but again it is a big maybe on my part. 🤞

Wonder if someone could make a multi cart that had an SD slot for your library, and dip switches to access specific titles (like it fakes as a real cart for a handful of titles you select) of course, a redesigned multicast could be made I'm sure, just A compatible os for the cart, once you go select your game from the menu, it could load a game in ram, thin ping the system to reset so when it reboots it loads that game.

49 minutes ago, Video said:

Wonder if someone could make a multi cart that had an SD slot for your library, and dip switches to access specific titles (like it fakes as a real cart for a handful of titles you select) of course, a redesigned multicast could be made I'm sure, just A compatible os for the cart, once you go select your game from the menu, it could load a game in ram, thin ping the system to reset so when it reboots it loads that game.

@karri posted this on the Experimental thread.

This multicart was intended for small 7800 games made by me and @gambler172. The cart fits 8 games. (Pay no attention to the cart decorations made by Walter)

Multicart.jpg

On 4/4/2024 at 3:38 PM, shane857 said:

Personally, I think it's probably the best emulation/rom dumping console at the moment thou...

I find myself using it for 7800 carts and games that will not work on my original Atari VCS at the moment.

Compatibility is great. There is a noticeable difference thou if you are used to playing on original hardware. Compatibility with games and joystick/paddle control response, and also lack of support for other controller devices. Keypad, driving paddles.

Hey, that's just my personal opinion...what are yours? 🤔

Other than the fact that I don't have a whole lot of time to play it, I think it's pretty awesome.

• Like 1

What do I think? Do you really want to know? I think I really like it, so much that I ordered another Atari 2600+!

I just received it yesterday opened the box applied the latest update put back in the box and save it for a rainy day!

Buy them all! Buy them all! Buy them all! Buy them all, Buy them all!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

What do I think? Do you really want to know? I think I really like it, so much that I ordered another Atari 2600+!

I just received it yesterday opened the box applied the latest update put back in the box and save it for a rainy day!

Buy them all! Buy them all! Buy them all! Buy them all, Buy them all!

Good to have a spare! I'll be honest, I've got two also.

You can't have too many retro consoles I say

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It's just Fantastic. Physically, it's the most detailed retro-console yet: the switches, the textures, even the cable materials. And the joystick and paddles are perfect replicas. But the most revolutionary and hard-hitting feature is the Dumper, i.e. that it's cartridge-based. That just changes the game (no pun intended), the way Retro will be approached from now on. Atari is breaking new ground, just like in 1977.  And now, thanks to the efforts of the homebrew community, we can even load ROMS into stella from USB, distancing the 2600+ even more from the other "Minis". I mean, now you can have a full "ROM Set" just like in any other retro console, if that's your thing, but you can also go for "Full Immersion" and buy (or fetch from the dusty old closet) some genuine old VCS cartridges to play on your 40" 4K OLED TV (even in 4:3 aspect to boot !), or you can buy Atari's new releases and companion accessories, or you can use your old joysticks and paddles from 40 years ago. The 2600+ is limitless in that sense, in that it lets you play Atari any way you want. Gee, if you went down homebrew path, you can even use USB controllers (I personally think it's silly). AND THAT ILLUMINATED ATARI LOGO ON THE FRONT IS SOOOO COOL (TAKE THAT NINTENDO AND SEGA !).

Objectively, the only thing dragging the 2600+ down is the Dumper's compatibility issues (because Stella can play literally everything), but that's being worked on right here at AtariAge (ckeck the top forum discussions).

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

I’m certainly enjoying my Atari 2600+. As John said it makes collecting carts fun again.

i think solving the compatibility issues will be key to long term success. Pitfall 2 plz!

PAL support is still a big shaky though. Whilst the console itself is fine, it’s disappointing that the new Atari cartridges won’t work in PAL consoles.

I bought a second 2600+ as out of all the many emulation devices I own, I knew this was the one I'd me most upset about if it just stopped working (and what would I do with all those carts?). The second is hooked up upstairs and already in use. Personally, I really love this machine and it just needs Keypad compatibility and for Pitfall 2 to work (I've no idea if either of those are actually possible so it's not a deal breaker) to make it better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/19/2024 at 8:46 PM, John Stamos Mullet said:

I wouldn't do that, the 7800 is capable of more than the 2600+ will ever deliver, I highly doubt my devcart works for instance.  I have a couple shelved projects, the 2600 won't be able to handle, EVER.

• Like 5

On 5/15/2024 at 9:35 PM, shane857 said:

It's...fine I suppose. On the current experimental firmware it plays the majority of original released Atari 2600/7800 games with minor issues.

TBH thou, I personally have not used it for a few months...

Only because I have a LOT of other consoles/handhelds to play. It's just not getting as much love...

On 4/13/2024 at 6:39 PM, Gamma Ray said:

I feel you on the latter point. The console desperately needs properly functioning paddle controls. They got it right in 1977. They should've gotten it right first thing out of the gate in 2023.

able.

On 4/19/2024 at 9:58 AM, Glokenpop said:

I'm the same this was going to be a paddle system for me and was really disappointment when they didn't work well I sent my 2600+ back.

On 4/19/2024 at 10:41 PM, tradyblix said:

Yes, I agree paddle behavior isn't good on some games, and so have not been able to enjoy Super Breakout much, but it's not a make or break for me, and I never really got into Kaboom. Also, while Star Raiders is a classic and I would love to play with the gamepad, it and Star Master as a genre has not held up as much for me as time has passed and IMO Solaris far surpasses it. Nor is it a big deal not being able to play certain games that use methods that possibly won't ever work with the 2600+.  (Champ Games, sorry, wish I would support you, but....). Pitfall II, alas, is a game I would enjoy, but I don't really like the Pitfall series as much as others, give me Montezuma's Revenge any day. 

Dang it.. I just ordered the new paddles.  Are the paddle themselves not good or something doesn't work right with the 2600+

I won't get into my thoughts on the 2600+ but I was hoping the paddles would work as well as the OG ones on real 2600/7800.  

44 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

Dang it.. I just ordered the new paddles.  Are the paddle themselves not good or something doesn't work right with the 2600+

I won't get into my thoughts on the 2600+ but I was hoping the paddles would work as well as the OG ones on real 2600/7800.  

Some people have had issues with the new paddles when used on old consoles, but I think it's largely been a positive experience for most people.

It's definitely a problem with the 2600+ console that it's not able to handle paddle controls properly.

I just looked at the forum. There's no update today. We're literally six months to the day minus one since the system came out. The system came out botched. They even botched the launch and left you waiting a month if you bought it from Atari themselves. They put out a few updates that were moving in the right direction, but it's been months of promises that updates are coming. I'm done. I'm packing up this stupid system back in its box and reconnecting my Wii U to my AV receiver. I'll be getting a couple of the 7800 reissues plus more paddles, I already preordered them, and I may never buy another Atari product new ever again. I'll use this stuff on my childhood 7800 no matter how wonky my TV handles SD analog video. I am incredibly disappointed.

Tell me not to let the door hit me where the good Lord split me. Tell me I'm entitled. Tell me I'm impatient. I don't care. I paid for the system largely to play paddle games. I spent that money half a year ago. That's $130 I'm not getting back. What they should've done was delay the system by a year or however long it took to sort out their problems. It's not like they had to worry about the Atari 2600 becoming outdated if they waited another year. Considering the little details they got wrong at launch, it's obvious they didn't care. Maybe they care now, but it's too little too late for me. I was excited for this system. My friends and I were excited to play paddle games like Pong and Warlords on a TV that won't break our ever aging backs. We got a subpar experience that feels laggy and ratchety instead of responsive and smooth like it did on the original hardware and still does. I feel like a fool. It's become a joke among all of us that the Atari 2600 needs a firmware update. At least it's given us a laugh.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Gamma Ray said:

Some people have had issues with the new paddles when used on old consoles, but I think it's largely been a positive experience for most people.

It's definitely a problem with the 2600+ console that it's not able to handle paddle controls properly.

I just looked at the forum. There's no update today. We're literally six months to the day minus one since the system came out. The system came out botched. They even botched the launch and left you waiting a month if you bought it from Atari themselves. They put out a few updates that were moving in the right direction, but it's been months of promises that updates are coming. I'm done. I'm packing up this stupid system back in its box and reconnecting my Wii U to my AV receiver. I'll be getting a couple of the 7800 reissues plus more paddles, I already preordered them, and I may never buy another Atari product new ever again. I'll use this stuff on my childhood 7800 no matter how wonky my TV handles SD analog video. I am incredibly disappointed.

Tell me not to let the door hit me where the good Lord split me. Tell me I'm entitled. Tell me I'm impatient. I don't care. I paid for the system largely to play paddle games. I spent that money half a year ago. That's $130 I'm not getting back. What they should've done was delay the system by a year or however long it took to sort out their problems. It's not like they had to worry about the Atari 2600 becoming outdated if they waited another year. Considering the little details they got wrong at launch, it's obvious they didn't care. Maybe they care now, but it's too little too late for me. I was excited for this system. My friends and I were excited to play paddle games like Pong and Warlords on a TV that won't break our ever aging backs. We got a subpar experience that feels laggy and ratchety instead of responsive and smooth like it did on the original hardware and still does. I feel like a fool. It's become a joke among all of us that the Atari 2600 needs a firmware update. At least it's given us a laugh.

Well, the updates from the experimental load fixed a lot and the coming will fix the rest.

Waiting for an update? I installed them all😊

The video ouput is stable and all of my maybe 300 carts (most even PAL!) work, minus 4 champ games.

After all carts work, I have got good hope that trakball support and such stuff will come with more updates, too.

Your lag is probably related to the TV (input lag, no/bad gaming mode).

The resolution of reading the paddles should be increased, yes but many games still run fine on experimental load, after the video output was stable. Eggomania plays absolutely smooth!

Yes, the SW was not in a final state but when I see what a shitty support I get for a 1000€ TV (none! all idiots!!!) and how nice it feels to get support from skilled friendly guys on this forum (I find a failed game, they fix it🤗) the 119€ gave me so much fun🤙

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can understand both sides: This console is beautifully designed and nice to use. But the lack of an official firmware update for pal games and for the paddle issues after so many months is not the best experience ever. It's the experimental firmware that made my day. What I really really miss is some effort on reissuing some of the great 2600 games like Pitfall, Hero, Enduro, Phoenix etc. or another dip switch cartridge with 10 games (and printed manuals). And if they concentrate on 7800 games please give us Pole Position, Donkey Kong, Joust or Ms. Pac-Man. I guess there are a lot of licensing challenges but where there's a will...

• Like 1