IGNORED

What do you think of the Atari 2600+ at the moment...

shane857

Personally, I think it's probably the best emulation/rom dumping console at the moment thou...

I find myself using it for 7800 carts and games that will not work on my original Atari VCS at the moment.

Compatibility is great. There is a noticeable difference thou if you are used to playing on original hardware. Compatibility with games and joystick/paddle control response, and also lack of support for other controller devices. Keypad, driving paddles.

Hey, that's just my personal opinion...what are yours? 🤔

• Like 8

It’s changed the way I look at retro gaming. 

Having the plus sit alongside my modern consoles and able to connect to the same HDMI port the rest use, has made it less of a maintenance project and more of a gaming console again. 

I’ve packed away most of my original HW and saved so much space in my gaming setup.

No need for an older TV. 

No need for worrying about recapping or modding. 
No worrying about having to track down ROMs on suspicious websites (present site excluded of course)

The only downside is that I now wish  more retro consoles would get the plus treatment. Especially the ColecoVision where I have a bunch of physical carts I’d love to be able to play more often.  

• Like 8

V1.0 was not good for PAL players, especially the 7800 part.

The last experimental load is almost perfect.

All my 7800 carts run with corrrect colors and the new video driver is great🤙What a nice journey😊 I really enjoyed the beta testing🤗

The dumper still needs some fine tuning for 2600 carts and I hope for better paddle support, paddle support for 7800 games and Trakball support for 2600/7800 games.

Edit: Atarivox and SaveKey would be nice😉

I love the console so much!

If the outstanding parts will be done, I will need my original consoles only for very few carts and keep them for nostalgic reasons only. I got used to the crisp hdmi output so much, I won't use my original consoles very often in the future.

Hopefully it will be produced for long time, otherwise I would need to shelf a spare part, as not so many will show up at ebay for a reasonable price, if a broken unit would need replacement.

And I hope for ongoing software support, so new homebrew 7800 carts will run fine.

Many thanks to @Ben from Plaion for pushing this forward🙏

Edited by DEANJIMMY
  • Like 8

It is a well done system.  I agree that it needs work, especially with controller compatibility. Get those issues fixed, and we have some red hot dynamite.  The biggest pluses at the moment: first, having someone like @Ben from Plaion  who continues to listen to us and try to make updates really matters.  He wants to make this work as much as we do!  New controllers: not just carbon copies, but re-engineered and hopefully higher quality (I think time will tell on that).  The attempts to do something better is a good thing.  I like that this 2600+ is smaller and lightweight, easier to connect with the USB and HDMI.  I have cables set up in both the living room and bedroom so that I can easily move the unit and just plug and play.  The compatibility for both NTSC and PAL means access to more games, plus the 7800.  HDMI!!

When I heard this was going to be emulation, I felt let down, but now that I have a 2600+ and have had time to play with it, I'm happy with it so far.  I can't wait to see what the next firmware update will do!

However, and I have said this before, I would love to see the 5200 get the same treatment, with better designed analog controllers.  I was disappointed that the 400Mini is simply an emulator box.  A 5200+ with a slot for 5200 and a slot for A8 carts would be amazing to see!

I agree with https://forums.atariage.com/profile/84866-mikem  I would love to see something similar for the ColecoVision as well as the Intellivision, but that of course, would need to be initiated by another company.  If anyone is listening...

• Like 6

I'm definitely happy with the purchase - and would purchase a second v2.0 unit in a heartbeat that featured improved controller support! (i.e. driving controller/keyboard controller/paddle resolution).

Having said that I was impressed with it right out of the box.  The attention to detail on the iconic form factor, the feel of the switches, the ease of use, etc.  I have a good amount of mostly common 2600 (ntsc) atari/activision/imagic cartridges from back in the day and they all worked out of the box. Just a little fussing with the activision ones.  I know I'm in the minority here, but I'm willing to tradeoff the paddle resolution for the crisp hdmi output.  It is a bit jarring moving between the plus and original when playing Kaboom!, but after sticking with just the plus I was able to score over 3,000 after a bit of adjusting.  I don't see me breaking out the original hardware except for playing INDY-500 with my original driving controllers.

As others have said, many thanks to Ben for managing a fantastic product and for seeing it through the numerous improvements.  (Also, many thanks to those who worked through the firmware enhancements and for those who put the hard work into the Stella emulator).

• Like 6

The lack of keypad controller support  and the fact that the firmware update mechanism is clearly an afterthought are disappointing. Still even with v1.0 firmware I have a pretty large library of games - more than I ever intended. Having the ability to play most games with HDMI output makes it worthwhile.

• Like 4

I am still a little bit torn on this. Since being fed up with modern gaming in general, this is my only console atm. I had no carts in the basement and started from scratch with the 2600+. So far I really enjoy it, but I still have some afterthoughts choosing the 2600+ over an NESPi 4 with Recalbox or Batocera running on it. I know, two completely different approaches to retro gaming. But hunting for carts in Germany/Europe can get pricy – especially when it comes to 7800 games.

I like the original joystick of the 2600+. It not only adds the authentic feel from back in the days, but also an extra level of difficulty after having played with modern controllers for decades now. I would really love to add many AA Homebrews like Gorf, Space Rocks, Amoeba Jump etc. to my library, but shipping costs (and compatibility) are an issue. I didn‘t like the performance of the paddles so I returned them.

My main concerns for the future of the 2600+: Will there be more new-old 2600 releases like Berzerk and Mr. Run & Jump? Will the firmware update process be simplified and made more accessible? Time will tell…

• Like 4

I like the Atari 2600+.  I think it's a nice clone console.  So far, every game has worked for me.  And I'm still using the default firmware.  Having a 2600 with HD output is great.  Also, the fact that it can play 7800 games is a bonus.

Like others have said in this thread, here's hoping for an Atari 5200+ ColecoVision+ & INTV+.

How about a Vectrex Plus?  I'd like that.  The console already has a screen but maybe it could connect to a TV using HDMI as well.  For those who want a larger display.  Also, the console would have built-in games with the option to add more via SD card.  If an updated Vectrex ever did come out, it would also have the ability to show a digital overlay on screen without the need to put one on like it was back in the day.  And of course the controller with updated features.  Anyway, who knows if this will ever happen.  Most likely it won't.  But it's fun to ponder the idea of it.

• Like 2

After I bought the Atari 2600+, I also bought the C64mini, and indeed, although both run emulators, there is something more authentic about the 2600+.  I have about. 50 cartridges, some cannot be played because the dumper does not load them properly (Crystal Quest for example), but I prefer to play H.E.R.O or River Raid on 2600+ than on C64mini, also Pole Position II over PitStop II and Galaga over Galencia. ;)  2600+ feels to me as a higher quality product that for instance C64mini. 

However, it drives me mad that I cannot update or add roms via the extra USB port on the 2600+. There are so many homebrews for the C64 that you can download or buy for a few bucks. Yesterday I played the remastered Ghost'n'Goblins for C64mini and really, really enjoyed it.

I would love to have the same opportunity for the 2600+ and play the fantastic 1942 (much better than any C64 version) or Popeye (same again). 

Ps After all I also bought used C64maxi on ebay and this is really fantastic device. And here I think I like more C64maxi ;-) 

• Like 2

I really do like my 2600+ have a small collection of 2600/7800 games and they all work great.  I took the time to dismantle all my carts, clean them thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol and buy new labels for them, so they all look and feel like new.  I'm not really that bothered about adding ROMs, I didn't buy it for that - but I'd like to see more carts, keypad support and have some idea when this elusive firmware update is due, I put that beta one on it a while back.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

I like the Atari 2600+.  I think it's a nice clone console.  So far, every game has worked for me.  And I'm still using the default firmware.  Having a 2600 with HD output is great.  Also, the fact that it can play 7800 games is a bonus.

Like others have said in this thread, here's hoping for an Atari 5200+ ColecoVision+ & INTV+.

How about a Vectrex Plus?  I'd like that.  The console already has a screen but maybe it could connect to a TV using HDMI as well.  For those who want a larger display.  Also, the console would have built-in games with the option to add more via SD card.  If an updated Vectrex ever did come out, it would also have the ability to show a digital overlay on screen without the need to put one on like it was back in the day.  And of course the controller with updated features.  Anyway, who knows if this will ever happen.  Most likely it won't.  But it's fun to ponder the idea of it.

Off topic, but I second that. lol Vectrex+ would be cool. There is an amazing emulator on PC at the mo that has built in overlays and even mimics a CRT. Also plays Homebrew games. 👍

• Like 2

With the latest experimental firmware and dumper it's almost there... there being awesome! Cart and hardware compatibility updates to follow and then it's gonna be amazing. My most used game console. 

• Like 4

I absolutely love mine,it’s been the best Christmas present I’ve had for decades.Re collecting old favourites and discovering new old games has/is fantastic.I really really hope we get the opportunity to purchase new games from Atariage in the UK/Europe and Atari continue to support it with new releases etc for many years.

I would gladly buy another if they did some other versions(7800,Vader)

The design and build quality is superb,well done Ben and his team and thank you.

ps.if Ben could stick a usb plug on his joystick design so I could use it on my Mac I would be well pleased cheers 😀

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

I've noticed my OG 7800 dropping it's signal occasionally lately, and so I can't wait until the 2600+ compatibility is closer to perfect, because I don't know how much longer the 7800 has.

I agree. I use my 2600+ mainly for 7800 carts now...

I like mine. Granted, I only have the cartridge that came with the 2600+, the one that came with the four game paddle pack and then Kaboom, but it's worked very well for all of those games. I don't yet have any 7800 carts, but I plan on getting some. The controllers are great, with the joysticks feeling and working just like the originals, though the emulation does still need some refinement with regard to the paddles, as they're still a little jittery compared to the original system, though I know it's not at all easy to do so. Still, for what it is, I'm happy. It brings back a lot of childhood memories, and though dealing with cartridges is a little more of a pain than using a retro console with built in games, like my Flashback 12, there's more nostalgia with using them. 

• Like 1

I’m hopeful. My video modded 7800 is my main goto system with sd cart to play my games and the new non-compatible game releases. 

For now, the 2600+ sits, boxed, with my other shelved systems with hopes of being able to play my favorite games someday.  

I do have a, basically new, retron 77 that will be going out the door for the same reasons. 

With that stated , I love the new games like Mr run n jump and berserk. Keep ‘em coming. 

• Like 1

Love it. I do hope they keep upping the drivers for better paddle and alternative controller support, but outside a tiny number of games, I've been pretty happy with it out of the box. Love the simplicity ease and clarity of the HDMI, and despite just being an emulation box, using actual carts, even if it is just dumping them makes a huge difference over other emu and pnp systems. I do hope for a 5200 version in the furure, the 400 just didn't really click for me.

Lol, I thought I was the only one using classic consoles for my current setup, outside Minecraft, there's just not much modern I'm interested in.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2024 at 3:17 PM, daorriss said:

On the one hand I think it's a better done emulation console than anything else you can get.

On the other - if Plaion doesn't do a proper update soon I'm going to feel like I wasted my money. 

I feel you on the latter point. The console desperately needs properly functioning paddle controls. They got it right in 1977. They should've gotten it right first thing out of the gate in 2023.

To me, the 2600+ breaks down like this:

2600 joystick games are a base feature that did not sell me on the system. It's good to have, but it wasn't really all that important to me.

7800 games are a significant feature to me. This is the lesser system selling feature for me due to nostalgia. While the initial release botched 7800, they improved it with updates. The early, early childhood nostalgia factor is nice, but I could've lived without it. However, combine this point with the next point and this point gets raised a few notches for me personally.

2600 paddle games were the thing that really sold me on the system. I was looking forward to a good modern day way to play paddle games. The newly manufactured paddles also appealed to me greatly. While the newly manufactured paddles work nicely on my childhood 7800, a natively HDMI-equipped console that gives me the unique experience of playing paddle games is something I was super excited about. It's been botched for nearly half a year.

I was happily buying Atari 2600/7800 stuff, old and new, until I got tired of waiting for updates. To me, it's not even just that I wasted money on the console itself but rather it's that plus all of the games that I bought to enjoy with it. My Atari collection grew significantly between September and December of last year. If they release an update that functions to my liking then I'll get back in the Atari market and tout the merits of the 2600+ to everyone I know. But all I've been saying to my friends for the past couple months is how we still can't properly play Pong/Video Olympics, Warlords, or whatever else. Some of the words that have been spoken by my friends about Atari have been less than charitable.

Edited by Gamma Ray
  • Like 2

I'm very happy with mine. I hope they continue to make and support it. It's great fun to play old and new games on new tvs with brand new joysticks. Love the box it came with too for carting it around to new locations and tvs.

• Like 5

On 4/14/2024 at 6:39 AM, Gamma Ray said:

I feel you on the latter point. The console desperately needs properly functioning paddle controls. They got it right in 1977. They should've gotten it right first thing out of the gate in 2023.

To me, the 2600+ breaks down like this:

2600 joystick games are a base feature that did not sell me on the system. It's good to have, but it wasn't really all that important to me.

7800 games are a significant feature to me. This is the lesser system selling feature for me due to nostalgia. While the initial release botched 7800, they improved it with updates. The early, early childhood nostalgia factor is nice, but I could've lived without it. However, combine this point with the next point and this point gets raised a few notches for me personally.

2600 paddle games were the thing that really sold me on the system. I was looking forward to a good modern day way to play paddle games. The newly manufactured paddles also appealed to me greatly. While the newly manufactured paddles work nicely on my childhood 7800, a natively HDMI-equipped console that gives me the unique experience of playing paddle games is something I was super excited about. It's been botched for nearly half a year.

I was happily buying Atari 2600/7800 stuff, old and new, until I got tired of waiting for updates. To me, it's not even just that I wasted money on the console itself but rather it's that plus all of the games that I bought to enjoy with it. My Atari collection grew significantly between September and December of last year. If they release an update that functions to my liking then I'll get back in the Atari market and tout the merits of the 2600+ to everyone I know. But all I've been saying to my friends for the past couple months is how we still can't properly play Pong/Video Olympics, Warlords, or whatever else. Some of the words that have been spoken by my friends about Atari have been less than charitable.

I'm the same this was going to be a paddle system for me and was really disappointment when they didn't work well I sent my 2600+ back.

• Sad 3

This system is great. 

Since it's release, and the use of the latest available dumper and experimental firmware, I can play all the games I love. I do have a few finicky carts, mostly Activision, but some of you who write helpful things on here have helped me, such as the person that suggested moving Juno First leftwards in the slot. Thank you. 

Despite owning all these roms and having the ability to play on a Miyoo Mini handheld for free, I STILL bought over a thousand dollars worth of carts to play on this system, including the very expensive aftermarket games Scramble, B*nq, Space Invaders 7800, Jr Pac Man 7800, Frenzy, Double Dragon, Asteroids Deluxe, Klax 7800, Ikari Warriors 7800 and all the good 2600 games I used to play, including a weird double header Sir Lancelot cart. Money was no object.  I am not going to live forever and I wanted to have these experiences on a gigantic C1 OLED while I still can. For that I am profoundly grateful as I had a component modded light sixer but it wasn't a patch, a few issues aside, on the 2600+ experience. It also is a totally different experience playing using nice custom arcade style controllers from BDRetroMods on Etsy. Highly recommended, especially his controller for space invaders / demon attack style games. 

I'm still shocked everytime I load Imagic's Demon Attack at how crisp and beautiful the sprites, colors and fonts are. It could bring a tear to my eye. I've even played rarer games I never had in the 80s and wish I knew about like Gyruss, Time Pilot, and the amazing Beamrider. Hell, I even played and enjoyed Aardvark although I wanted to throw it across the room and then give it the ET treatment for personal reasons back in February. (don't worry, no carts were harmed).

Yes, I agree paddle behavior isn't good on some games, and so have not been able to enjoy Super Breakout much, but it's not a make or break for me, and I never really got into Kaboom. Also, while Star Raiders is a classic and I would love to play with the gamepad, it and Star Master as a genre has not held up as much for me as time has passed and IMO Solaris far surpasses it. Nor is it a big deal not being able to play certain games that use methods that possibly won't ever work with the 2600+.  (Champ Games, sorry, wish I would support you, but....). Pitfall II, alas, is a game I would enjoy, but I don't really like the Pitfall series as much as others, give me Montezuma's Revenge any day. 

Don't really understand WHY some people have such negative views when they can't play some games i don't think are worth a damn, but hey, horses for courses I guess. The only game I can't play at the moment is Stella's Stocking but I'm hopeful it will eventually be playable based on rumors I've read around here. I've heard the games on there are fun. 

Overall, it's an amazing system. Ben has been amazing, the developers working for him have been amazing, and I'm sad he said he might not be active for much longer and move on, but I'm glad we at least got this system despite it's limitations. It's a great system, it's quality, and he should be proud as should everyone involved in helping improve it. 

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 4