IGNORED

Super Mario All-Stars SNES

Breakpack

I posted this at the playnintendo forums but I'll post it here too.:

I have a question about Super Mario All Stars SNES.In the Lost Levels (SMB2 Japan)when you go straight through,you'll go thru extra levels.Some are underwater with the flagpole underwater.Some are just levels with enemies out of place (like Bowser if I remember correctly).Im curious as to where these extra levels came from.Were they in the original Super Mario 2 (Japanese Famicom)?When I first went thru these levels ,I immediately thought Game Genie,because I remember (pre-SNES days)fooling around with the Game Genie I rented and getting results similar to those extra levels I played thru in The Lost Levels.Could the Nintendo programmers have made these levels from ideas from results of Game Genie codes,or were these levels made on Famicom before the Genie was even made?Thanks for any info and input :)

As far as I know, the Lost Levels is a direct port of the Japanese Super Mario 2 game. Our Mario 2, as you may well know, was basically a game called Arabian World (I think, it may have been something different, but it definately had Arabia in it somewhere), but with the Mario characters instead. I dunno, I REALLY liked the US Mario 2 game.

As far as I know, the Lost Levels is a direct port of the Japanese Super Mario 2 game. Our Mario 2, as you may well know, was basically a game called Arabian World (I think, it may have been something different, but it definately had Arabia in it somewhere), but with the Mario characters instead. I dunno, I REALLY liked the US Mario 2 game.

USA Super Mario Bros. 2 = JP Doki Doki Panic :D

Doki Doki Panic had an Arabian-style set of characters in place of the Mario crew. Also, I believe it was re-released in Japan with the Mario graphics as Super Mario USA

I have the Japanese rom of the original SMB 2 somewhere, but I haven't taken the time to play it through. As far as I know, SMB:LL is the exact same except for the updated graphics.

Slightly off topic, I remember getting the SMB All Stars cart the day it was released (or the day after, can't remember), and being slightly disappointed that the graphics weren't updated-but-otherwise-the-same in SMB 1. Heh, you know how Mario stood, they just 'detailed' the graphics in 2 and 3, they completely redid the the sprites in SMB 1. Of course, after a little bit of playing, I had no problems with the cart and all, it fit well with my SMW cart. Still today, I think SMB All Stars is the best SNES cart of all time.

I don't know, guess I just wanted as close to the original on my SNES as possible, without looking outdated. I still think the Mario in NES SMB 1 looks the coolest of all the 2D Marios.

Do you have a save state?

A save state of what? Do you mean the rom image itself?

I have this cart and yet, I've never seen the hidden levels.

They're not really hidden... they're right there on the main menu. They just call them the Lost Levels because the majority of American's didn't know about them until All-Stars.

--Zero

Hidden levels... if you finish world 8-4 without warping at all then you go to world 9 instead...

Exactly.The point of my post is those 'extra' levels look like the were influenced by results from a Game Genie on NES, UNLESS they were in the Famicom version originally.

@Ze_ro :No,not the ROM itself.Some emulators have a feature called 'save states' that let you continue in the exact spot you saved.For any game.

I have the famicom cart for SMB2 (Famicom and jap carts were what was sold where I lived) and yes the lost levels is a direct translation of that. To be quite honest, when I bought SMB2 I don't think I had even heard of a game genie.. I don't think those were even OUT at that time. So I doubt it was influenced by the Game Genie. :)

The Game Genie can not randomly create levels for you. If it did, it'd be random blocks and sprites. The "Hidden" World 9 is real. It may look like the designer was on acid or something, but it is real. They were even mentioned and shown in the Players Guide Nintendo Power published back then.

The Game Genie can not randomly create levels for you. If it did, it'd be random blocks and sprites. The "Hidden" World 9 is real. It may look like the designer was on acid or something, but it is real. They were even mentioned and shown in the Players Guide Nintendo Power published back then.

Thats my point.Random blocks on levels/sprites out of place/castle flagpole underwater.It just reminded me of how a Genie would have done(I played with it for hours with SMB NES),so my impression of the 'extra' levels in The Lost Levels was maybe Nintendo programmers had a tongue-in-cheek humor about the Game Genie hence the levels.But if the extra levels were in the Famicom original,then nevermind my theory. 8)

Thats my point.Random blocks on levels/sprites out of place/castle flagpole underwater.It just reminded me of how a Genie would have done(I played with it for hours with SMB NES),so my impression of the 'extra' levels in The Lost Levels was maybe Nintendo programmers had a tongue-in-cheek humor about the Game Genie hence the levels.But if the extra levels were in the Famicom original,then nevermind my theory. 8)
No, by "Random" I'm talking about REALLY Random. Not uniformly designed play fields. I mean a block here, a brick there, a part of a flag pole in your path, empty space somewhere else. Not flat grounds with man made oddly designed constructs in your path. As in non-playable-at-all "Random".

I'm sure they were there. If the Famicom Disk System had a Game Genie available, I'd warp to it and take a screenshot. But you'll have to take my word for it. ;) There were "Super Levels for Super Players". Some Super Levels they were too. :roll:

Although I haven't seen these levels, I'd imagine that they're not intentional. It's probably a programming bug that wasn't supposed to happen, so instead of loading the data the defines the level, the game ends up accidentally loading random data and puts together a level based on that... if this is the case, it would be a happy coincidence if the level was actually playable (ie, not containing screen-high walls or 3 screen-wide pits or something).

--Zero

Well I went thru it and yes ,it goes to world 9!Same extra levels.After I beat 9-4 though,it repeats to level 9-1 again.Also,in level 8-4 when you rescue the princess,you get 100,000 for every life remaining.So I started off at level 9-1 with 1 life!

Check out the screen below after I died (intentional)

post-4102-1067416828_thumb.png

How the hell did you do that so fast? Wow.. anyway..

What about the A, B, C, D worlds? I forget how Nintendo said you are supposed to get there in the guide.

I think of World 9 as just a Thank You. Notice in the water level, a Japanese message appears in the pattern? That probably says "Congratulations" or something. They're not meant to be full levels, just a present for being so damn good. Some easy levels. ;)

How the hell did you do that so fast? Wow.. anyway..

What about the A, B, C, D worlds? I forget how Nintendo said you are supposed to get there in the guide.

I think of World 9 as just a Thank You. Notice in the water level, a Japanese message appears in the pattern? That probably says "Congratulations" or something. They're not meant to be full levels, just a present for being so damn good. Some easy levels. ;)

I know,I remember the A,B,C,D levels maybe I have to go thru World 9 again....? :?

post-4102-1067417564_thumb.png

post-4102-1067417565_thumb.png

post-4102-1067417566_thumb.png

post-4102-1067417567_thumb.png

post-4102-1067417568_thumb.png

Hey! Now I don't have to ask how the water world worked in the original Famicom version.

In the SNES version they spiced the graphics up by making it actually under water. Looks like the Famicom just made it normally but added the ability to swim.. in air. Looks weird that way though.

Notice the palette color shift? The castle being white, briks being green. Bushes being funky pikn and blue. That is because Water levels use a special palette. So when they designed a normal level and set it to be a water level, it shifted the palette as well as making it swimmable and replacing certain tiles with Water related ones.

Play through 9 and see if it works.