IGNORED

Who didn’t parker brothers tell on each cartride for wich system their games do belong???

While parker brothers did released cool & exciting games for many systems with games such as popeye Frogger erc,,,  BUT what bugs me is that they don’t tell on their cartrides for wich system it belongs to, may ask WHY???

Because each cartride just looks similar in design & shape, unless you pay attention and do remember each shape from each parker brothers cartride for each system, it’s otherwise very very hard to distinguish them from each other, last time I wanted to buy an atari 400 cartride of popeye but that person who sold it just couldn’t tell for wich system it belongs to, it said in it’s title ‘unknown mysterious cartride looks like a atari 400/800 cartride’ so i suckered in buying it not realising that he didn’t know for wich system it belongs to because i only payed my attention out of hastyness on the those words ‘atari 400/800’ in the title (hahaha), but once i looked again in my emails i than did realze that it said those words ‘unknown and mysterious’in it’s tile as well, i was like ‘huh what are they talking about’ i just couldn’t believe my eyes, so i decided to compare that ‘mysterious’ cartride and just hope that he had it right, but sadly  i found out that it is ment for the C64, so once i recieved that cartride i shipped it back to that person and told him that it is ment for the C64 and so he rectified that and now he sells it again and so i got my money back and so i found it oke that we had solved that problem, BUT it clearly goes to show how confusing it could be because once i readed all those cartride lables from each version of popeye etc,, it says nowhere to wich system it belongs to, WHY??? 
heck am already amazed that even on the game pakage of atari 2600 sky skippier ( as opposed on it’s cartride label)  that it does not say nintendo anywhere on the box, wich is just weird, it could,ve otherwise attract more nintendo fans to buy that game it case they don’t know it’s from nintendo,
if parker brothers just used some extra inkt to print out to wich system their games belongs to it would,ve save lots of frustrations and confusion among buyers and sellers.

Well i finally do got my copy of popeye for the atari 400, but still trough who ever triught that because of some essential missing information on it’s box and/or cartride label that it could cause sooo much confusion to wich system it belong to,phew🤣

873733E4-7F7E-41DB-96FC-1E1711ECF3E7.jpeg

47E28E39-09DB-42DA-8109-1A5B8120EA1F.jpeg

AD53CC34-C072-4D75-A9CC-FCCEFA7985A3.jpeg

27994C36-2EC5-4245-9B22-C119F636F87F.png

AD2A0C08-2308-4596-A5DB-E1133A34A1B4.jpeg

45476A50-5B9E-4A05-B640-10F5481CDE7D.png

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Could be their cartridges were designed to share common labels and lower printing costs?

BITD it may have seemed that putting the system on the box was enough and they didn't have the foresight to know that an online, secondary market selling loose carts will spring up some day.

• Like 4

(Responding to the title because I'm not going to try to read that.)

Because they weren't thinking about collectors 40 years in the future? 🤷‍♂️ The thought must have been that the box/packaging would suffice in telling consumers which version to buy for their system. 

I guess I don't know what else to suggest, other than to educate yourself. The differences are on the subtle side, but easily recognizable when you're familiar:

Atari 2600 - Silver-ish label

Atari 5200 - Blue-ish label; cart is more square-shaped than rectangular

Intellivision - Narrow/elongated dimensions; squared/rectangular gold label (vs. usual trapezoid cut); end of cart is angled sharply

Coleco - Gold-ish label; cart sides are angled along entire edge (vs. only halfway); trapezoidal profile; back of cart has a bracketed relief for storing controller overlays

Atari 400/800 - End of cart is flat (vs. angled); cutaway on front bottom edge of cart shell; gold-ish label

Commodore 64 - End of cart is angled; no cutaway; label only extends about halfway down the face of the cart; Silver-gray label

Commodore VIC-20 - Very wide dimensions; gold label; title on end label is left-justified (vs. centered)

TI-99/4a - Wide dimension; shallow teal label with title only; blocky protrusion around sides and face of cartridge; no title on end label; easily distinct from every other Parker Bros. cart

Odyssey 2 (Brazil, Europe) - If you can't tell it's an Odyssey/Videopac game, that's on you 😜

Full disclosure: early in my collecting days, I made the rookie mistake of buying a Parker Bros. cartridge (Star Wars: The Arcade Game) for my Atari 2600, becoming very confused about why it wouldn't fit in my system, and later figuring out that it was the Coleco version. 🙃 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BassGuitari said:

Responding to the title because I'm not going to try to read that.

I didn't either but I read your reply. And you utterly failed on answering the question: "who didn't parker bros tell?" 

It's obviously J-mu but I'm also hearing Ludwig, Herbert and Victor were left clueless on the situation. It's a mirecle that Parker Bors had did not told. 

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Wayler said:

I didn't either but I read your reply. And you utterly failed on answering the question: "who didn't parker bros tell?" 

It's obviously J-mu but I'm also hearing Ludwig, Herbert and Victor were left clueless on the situation. It's a mirecle that Parker Bors had did not told. 

To be fair, Suzy Parker did tell me!  But she was a Parker Sister, not Brother.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, BassGuitari said:

Full disclosure: early in my collecting days, I made the rookie mistake of buying a Parker Bros. cartridge (Star Wars: The Arcade Game) for my Atari 2600, becoming very confused about why it wouldn't fit in my system, and later figuring out that it was the Coleco version. 🙃 

Ha, I just did that last week at a local retro shop. 🥹

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BassGuitari said:

(Responding to the title because I'm not going to try to read that.)

Because they weren't thinking about collectors 40 years in the future? 🤷‍♂️ The thought must have been that the box/packaging would suffice in telling consumers which version to buy for their system. 

I guess I don't know what else to suggest, other than to educate yourself. The differences are on the subtle side, but easily recognizable when you're familiar:

Atari 2600 - Silver-ish label

Atari 5200 - Blue-ish label; cart is more square-shaped than rectangular

Intellivision - Narrow/elongated dimensions; squared/rectangular gold label (vs. usual trapezoid cut); end of cart is angled sharply

Coleco - Gold-ish label; cart sides are angled along entire edge (vs. only halfway); trapezoidal profile; back of cart has a bracketed relief for storing controller overlays

Atari 400/800 - End of cart is flat (vs. angled); cutaway on front bottom edge of cart shell; gold-ish label

Commodore 64 - End of cart is angled; no cutaway; label only extends about halfway down the face of the cart; Silver-gray label

Commodore VIC-20 - Very wide dimensions; gold label; title on end label is left-justified (vs. centered)

TI-99/4a - Wide dimension; shallow teal label with title only; blocky protrusion around sides and face of cartridge; no title on end label; easily distinct from every other Parker Bros. cart

Odyssey 2 (Brazil, Europe) - If you can't tell it's an Odyssey/Videopac game, that's on you 😜

Well good luck remembering all this, well yeah if you are all familiar with all these type of shaped cartrides for each different system, then it shouldn’t be all that hard to remember i suppose,

now i never said that parker brothers should,ve do this with the second market on the internet or BBS in mind, but they should,ve done it for a gerenal purpose as well, like what if you bought many parker brothers games for different systems and you put those games next to each other to save on space, then how could you tell for wich system each one belongs to? in case you’re not familiar with those different cartride shapes for each different system,

now am personally stun that parker brothers found it sufficient enough to only tell it on the box for wich system their games belongs to, now if they also stated on the cartride for wich system it belongs to, not only would it have become handy now on the second market but also on the second digital market 40 years later as well,

it’s nothing forward thinking if they did so anyway since atari already marketed their cartride labels with a reference to wich system it belongs to, sure it not only comes handy now because of the digital second market but in general as well and that’s all what’s matters.

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Wayler said:

Oh am sad now,I ment to say in the title WHY didn’t parker brothers this or that rather then saying who didn’t parker brothers this or that, how could i have oversight such simple mistake i checked everything, well i guess because of fast typing on the iphone and then often times incidentally hitting a different letter then intended, well again this goes to show that we do need a unlimited editing button like on youtube, not only per se for correcting unintended words or spelling issues or sentence issues but in case you do regret about your title you may could always decide to change it, HOT DAMNIT.

Edited by johannesmutlu
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

It may sound weird but,...Not only do I agree...Because more information is always better,  but this is similar to a problem I Constantly see nowadays.  And that is,  someone puts out an Ad/YouTube Video/Article about a new game coming out and they start by telling you all about the game WITHOUT telling you what system,  what EXACT system it is for.   The worst offenders here will put out a game in some retro style so you're thinking oh a new game for Atari 2600 or a new NES game,  but it turns out to be for the PC,  Just say PC right up front!  IS this really that hard???  Another one I hate is listing the system at the END of the article....Or saying it is coming out for "Play Station" and "XBOX",  when it is in fact coming out for XBOXONE S or Play Station 5!

• Like 1

After deeply contemplating this topic's question for several minutes, reflecting on it and researching, my answer is thus:

who cares family guy GIF

In all "seriousness" though..........they knew it would be fun as carts got separated from box's and documentation that it would be a fun surprise figuring out which system each game was for! 🙃

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Wayler said:

Responding to the title because I'm not going to try to read that.

I'm having trouble just getting past the title, if I can be honest.

Parker Bor(e)s would be a good way to describe many of their 2600 games. Even Tutankham, which I was okay with when I played it as a kid, does not hold up under the weight of time, or its arcade counterpart, or even the recent 2600 port of the game that looks nearly arcade perfect by comparison.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Who What Why Which When...These are all just W Words....

Speaking of Which,  When...We always seem to forget poor When, and When We forget When We might ask Why?  Who (do) We ask Why about When you Wonder?  Well, While We...Wait! What?  Why ask Why When you can ask What Who Which When or just Wonder Why not I Wonder then Which Wanderings do cause you to Wonder Which and When but not Who of course because Well it's a miracule Who sounds less like a W Word and more like an H Word Whereas Whereas is a W Word Where the W is followed by an H...Hot Damnit!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Damn, I almost forgot to run this again through a visual translator.

parker.thumb.jpeg.0a86c794a0559eebb4f7faeab998a4ee.jpeg

... By God, this goes much deeper than I initially thought. I think we have only scratched the surface of this heinous conspiracy. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

13 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

Or saying it is coming out for "Play Station" and "XBOX",  when it is in fact coming out for XBOXONE S or Play Station 5!

You probably meant Xbox Series S, not Xbox One S, and that doesn't even make sense, since every game that works on Xbox Series S works on Series X as well, so you should just say Xbox Series. And in my articles, I also tend to just put "Xbox" since, except the recent AAA blockbusters I seldomly write about, games work on both Xbox One and Xbox Series. It's less true for PlayStation, so I either write PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, or just PlayStation when it works for both.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

You probably meant Xbox Series S, not Xbox One S, and that doesn't even make sense, since every game that works on Xbox Series S works on Series X as well, so you should just say Xbox Series. And in my articles, I also tend to just put "Xbox" since, except the recent AAA blockbusters I seldomly write about, games work on both Xbox One and Xbox Series. It's less true for PlayStation, so I either write PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, or just PlayStation when it works for both.

Wait,  Are you accusing me of not making sense?  Or did I just make so much sense that you just blew your mind?*

Kramer GIF - Kramer Seinfeld Mind Blown GIFs

*BTW,  I know this sentence makes no sense.  That's part of what makes it so funny (It made sense to Kramer,  but he was saying it wrong) :lol:

Edited by GoldLeader
Edited to make more sense, as to why it made no sense...
  • Haha 1

PS:

When I say XBOX I mean that one console ....Contemporary of the PS2...

When I say PlayStation,  I mean a console that came out in North America in 1995.

If I meant PlayStation 4,   Why would I not spend the extra second to type a "4"?

PPS:  I'm sure @johannesmutlu thinks I mock him on occasion.  If yes,  then only in good fun!  Nothing mean spirited as I truly enjoy his work!  It's easy enough to ignore something if it really bothers you.   (Nope!  I'm  a willing participant over here)...  In this instance at its heart,  once you translate past the language, punctuation, grammar, and performance art barrier,  you will find that I agree with him (Parker Bros could have made life easier...Though as the time frame comes into focus,  their (possible) reasons make more sense),  and add those sensibilities to my cause;  Mainly I shouldn't be assuming any system as a base model,  So if you say nothing;  It's for PC?  How is that a rightful assumption?  Might as well assume all video games are for Atari unless otherwise stated...

19 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

Wait,  Are you accusing me of not making sense?  Or did I just make so much sense that you just blew your mind? 

Kramer GIF - Kramer Seinfeld Mind Blown GIFs

Watching that on loop, it seems like the girl is an addict looking for a fix

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

PS:

When I say XBOX I mean that one console ....Contemporary of the PS2...

When I say PlayStation,  I mean a console that came out in North America in 1995.

If I meant PlayStation 4,   Why would I not spend the extra second to type a "4"?

PPS:  I'm sure @johannesmutlu thinks I mock him on occasion.  If yes,  then only in good fun!  Nothing mean spirited as I truly enjoy his work!  It's easy enough to ignore something if it really bothers you.   (Nope!  I'm  a willing participant over here)...  In this instance at its heart,  once you translate past the language, punctuation, grammar, and performance art barrier,  you will find that I agree with him (Parker Bros could have made life easier...Though as the time frame comes into focus,  their (possible) reasons make more sense),  and add those sensibilities to my cause;  Mainly I shouldn't be assuming any system as a base model,  So if you say nothing;  It's for PC?  How is that a rightful assumption?  Might as well assume all video games are for Atari unless otherwise stated...

Well i swear to GOD i did hit the Y letter to intent to say ‘why’ rather then saying ‘who’ in the title, but i guess that because my vinger did moved sooo fast that once i swapped to another letter, that it all the sudden did registered Y instead, oh well shit could happen and a simple oversight mistake could easily happen by everybody i suppose,so yeah.

Edited by johannesmutlu
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, johannesmutlu said:

Well i swear to GOD i did hit the Y letter to intend to say ‘why’ rather then saying ‘who’ in the title, but i guess that because my vinger did moved sooo fast that once i swapped to another letter, that it all the sudden did registered Y instead, oh well shit could happen and a simple oversight mistake could easily happen by everybody i suppose,so yeah.

Maybe your keyboard is faulty?  Someone rearranged the letters as a prank when you weren't looking?   Would explain things

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, zzip said:

Maybe your keyboard is faulty?  Someone rearranged the letters as a prank when you weren't looking?   Would explain things

Well maybe i used a french virtual keyboard rather then a qwerty keyboard,so hahaaa🤣🤣

1 hour ago, johannesmutlu said:

Well i swear to GOD i did hit the Y letter to intent to say ‘why’ rather then saying ‘who’ in the title, but i guess that because my vinger did moved sooo fast that once i swapped to another letter, that it all the sudden did registered Y instead, oh well shit could happen and a simple oversight mistake could easily happen by everybody i suppose,so yeah.

Y and O are not even close vs the “vinger” which at least is a mistake by same key just one row too low (asdf.. vs zxcv..) … but you do know you can reread it and re-edit right?

And no your finger did not move too fast, it’s true mistakes happen but no need to make up excuses, and don’t swear to anything as we are at it.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 1