IGNORED

RTFM Games - Games that you realise are actually fun after you take the time to, you know, RTFM

JetmanUK

2 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Haha, this is funny that you mentioned Quadrun, I've made a short list of other RTFM games and yeah, it's on it.

A difficult game even after RTFM! It also features some nice speech. 

I'm sure everyone is different in what they find challenging, but for me personally, Quadrun is up there!  I'll be so curious what you think whenever you've had a chance to try it.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, TampaBay said:

After playing for a bit, I figured out a quick way to know where to stand so you don't have to look at the manual.

If the quadrants you can stand in are numbered, for example, like this, sequentially clockwise:

1   |   2

---------

4    |   3

...then just stand in the quadrant one number lower than where you want the ball to travel.   So if you want the ball to travel toward quadrant 4, stand in 3.  If you want the ball to travel toward quadrant 2, stand in 1, etc.

Hey! Somebody’s golf ball just came crashing through the window of my Haunted Mansion and hit me in the head!👀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, TampaBay said:

I'm sure everyone is different in what they find challenging, but for me personally, Quadrun is up there!  I'll be so curious what you think whenever you've had a chance to try it.

I played the ROM a while back on my laptop, it made me feel like I had no coordination. 🤣

But I was intrigued with it, I think it's one that if you can get the hang of it it'll be fun. 

• Like 2

On 4/29/2024 at 3:37 PM, shane857 said:

The first level is just a tutorial. Levels after that are tough. You can't see a fcukn thing unless you use a match and the random flashes of lightning! 😂

Now that I’m hooked on this game the levels are extremely tough! Who would have thought they could make a game where you can’t see a fcukn thing! 😎

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Intellivision Master said:

This is kind of on topic.  We need a RTFM logo on a t-shirt and coffee mug.  Lol.

This looks better. All kidding aside I would buy this and a Mug! Does Atar have mugs on there website?

They should sell mugs with logos and game art on a mug. I would buy something like that.

IMG_0290.jpeg

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

Now that I’m hooked on this game the levels are extremely tough! Who would have thought they could make a game where you can’t see a fcukn thing! 😎

Adventure is very similar, when you can only see walls going through certain sections of the game.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, shane857 said:

Adventure is very similar, when you can only see walls going through certain sections of the game.

That’s my next Adventure. I’ve never played Adventure. As @JetmanUK said, As an Atari fan I have a confession, I have never played Haunted House... or Adventure! 😱

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, shane857 said:

That one also has different aspects with higher levels. On the lowest level you don’t need the bridge. I think they’re both rightfully placed in the top-tier of 2600 first party titles.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Air Raiders could qualify for RTFM. For someone playing without RTFM might not ever know you can land your plane refuel and take off again!

In order to land you have to at least have shot down 10 enemy aircraft be at an altitude of 00 for 4 seconds and a runway will appear. Try to get as many hits as possible so use your ammo sparingly!

One of my favorite games from way back!

IMG_0300.jpeg

IMG_0301.png

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

Today’s RTFM game is Asteroids.

OK, you probably read that and thought hmm, come on Jet, this is the simplest game to understand, you press fire and say bye bye to an asteroid, rinse and repeat. Well, yeah. But I am not talking about the general gameplay here, I am talking about a couple of the 2600’s best features, game variations on most carts and the difficulty switch settings.

Most of the many many hours I have played Asteroids has been on the default settings of game 1. This mode is a great way to play it, particularly if you have OCD. Clean up the screen, ooh look, more mess, clean it up. Eventually I get bored and turn the game off.

As a kid I do remember flicking through the 66 game variations, but do not ever recall RTFM, so I think I just occasionally arbitrarily played a game number, but 99% of the time played game 1. I don’t recall exactly but I may never have seen shields or flip modes more than once or twice.

Most of my time playing VCS games back in the day I would also play with the difficulty switches set to B, they were rarely, if ever adjusted. I don’t remember if I knew that B was beginner or if it was just how my older brother had them set and that was how I learnt to play. Due to this in my childhood I NEVER played Asteroids on the 2600 with satellites and UFO’s! I grew up assuming that they were not in this version! I was very young when I first played Atari, so put it down to DYK, Dumb Young Kid syndrome.

So I can announce that after I have educated myself I am currently a difficulty A, game 10 guy. This is much harder than how I played the game for the last 43 years and is a breath of fresh air. As I get better I will switch to 12, 14 then 16.

How do you play?

Game Grid Guide.png

Asteroids Game Grid.png

Another thing from the manual, hold Game Select and Game Reset down to quickly move through the game variations. I wonder if this works in other games too?

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

This looks better. All kidding aside I would buy this and a Mug! Does Atar have mugs on there website?

They should sell mugs with logos and game art on a mug. I would buy something like that.

IMG_0290.jpeg

Can you make a new shirt?

Dont be a DYK

RTMF

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

I have to get back to this one. I recently purchased this CIB with Skiing. It was two for one deal. @Plumbob was just playing I think he said difficulty A game 17 not sure. According to your matrix chart 17 is flip. And your playing 10 so shields. That’s pretty cool! Like you I’ve played but never tried other settings. I’ve always played difficulty B game 33. Just kidding! 

But this game is definitely a RTFM game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, MrChickenz said:

I’ve always played difficulty B game 33. Just kidding! 

But this game is definitely a RTFM game.

Haha. I tried it, it is definitley for kids.

It really is, it seems many are.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

So I guess I haven’t lost my touch on this game. Turns out I’m a Fighter Pilot! I thought I was an Ace Pilot until I had a better look at the score chart! 😳

I had 35 hits the ENTIRE GAME I landed once to refuel. Then landed a second time out of ammo. But I did land safely.

IMG_0309.jpeg

IMG_0310.jpeg

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, MrChickenz said:

So I guess I haven’t lost my touch on this game. Turns out I’m a Fighter Pilot! I thought I was an Ace until I had a better look at the score chart! 😳

IMG_0309.jpeg

IMG_0310.jpeg

9GyBSsMiGkPSk4OESIYZuedijBI.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/6/2024 at 8:45 AM, JetmanUK said:

OK, you probably read that and thought hmm, come on Jet, this is the simplest game to understand, you press fire and say bye bye to an asteroid, rinse and repeat. Well, yeah. But I am not talking about the general gameplay here, I am talking about a couple of the 2600’s best features, game variations on most carts and the difficulty switch settings.

Most of the many many hours I have played Asteroids has been on the default settings of game 1. This mode is a great way to play it, particularly if you have OCD. Clean up the screen, ooh look, more mess, clean it up. Eventually I get bored and turn the game off.

As a kid I do remember flicking through the 66 game variations, but do not ever recall RTFM, so I think I just occasionally arbitrarily played a game number, but 99% of the time played game 1. I don’t recall exactly but I may never have seen shields or flip modes more than once or twice.

Most of my time playing VCS games back in the day I would also play with the difficulty switches set to B, they were rarely, if ever adjusted. I don’t remember if I knew that B was beginner or if it was just how my older brother had them set and that was how I learnt to play. Due to this in my childhood I NEVER played Asteroids on the 2600 with satellites and UFO’s! I grew up assuming that they were not in this version! I was very young when I first played Atari, so put it down to DYK, Dumb Young Kid syndrome.

So I can announce that after I have educated myself I am currently a difficulty A, game 10 guy. This is much harder than how I played the game for the last 43 years and is a breath of fresh air. As I get better I will switch to 12, 14 then 16.

How do you play?

Game Grid Guide.png

Asteroids Game Grid.png

Another thing from the manual, hold Game Select and Game Reset down to quickly move through the game variations. I wonder if this works in other games too?

6 or 8. Hyperspace is a panic move and I don’t panic 😉. High points or no extra lives to up the challenge 👍. This isn’t the most graceful port, but they captured the essence so it’s a must-have in the collection for me and one of the cases where I prefer the 2600 port to later, graphically “superior” versions. See also 2600 Centipede which I had never played until Evercade. Someday I’ll get a cart version 😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sean_1970 said:

6 or 8. Hyperspace is a panic move and I don’t panic 😉. High points or no extra lives to up the challenge 👍. This isn’t the most graceful port, but they captured the essence so it’s a must-have in the collection for me and one of the cases where I prefer the 2600 port to later, graphically “superior” versions. See also 2600 Centipede which I had never played until Evercade. Someday I’ll get a cart version 😁

I absolutely love 2600 Asteroids, one of Atari's best. It plays so much better than other ports and I love the sound. Sure it's not vector, but I prefer the colour anyway. I like the hacks with fake vectors but still with the colour too. 7800 Asteroids is disappointing compared to the old lady's port. 

2600 Centipede is also nice, the only thing that bothers me is the player sprite is just a block, I wish it had some other shape, like a proper spaceship.

Centipede and Millipede enhanced on one cart anyone?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

2600 Centipede is also nice, the only thing that bothers me is the player sprite is just a block, I wish it had some other shape, like a proper spaceship.

Centipede and Millipede enhanced on one cart anyone?

The player sprite is supposed to be a bug blaster.  This is from Wikipedia: The player controls the small insect-like creature called the Bug Blaster. It is moved around the bottom area of the screen with a trackball and fires small darts at a segmented centipede advancing from the top of the screen through a field of mushrooms.

Also, yes to both those games on a single cart.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

The player sprite is supposed to be a bug blaster.  This is from Wikipedia: The player controls the small insect-like creature called the Bug Blaster. It is moved around the bottom area of the screen with a trackball and fires small darts at a segmented centipede advancing from the top of the screen through a field of mushrooms.

Also, yes to both those games on a single cart.

Well, whatever it is this is what it's supposed to look like:

IMG_20240509_144840.jpg.9d548b11aa50f4c109408af83adc55fb.jpg

And this is the 2600 version:

Screenshot_2024-05-09-14-46-11-018_com.microsoft.emmx-edit.jpg.4731f88cafb71f13388d4183455676d9.jpg

🤣 

They could have at least cut some pixels from the corners... Or did they use the ball or a missile sprite and there was a tech limitation or something?

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Haha 1