IGNORED

RTFM Games - Games that you realise are actually fun after you take the time to, you know, RTFM

JetmanUK

22 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

They could have at least cut some pixels from the corners... Or did they use the ball or a missile sprite and there was a tech limitation or something?

That would've been nice.  Perhaps they used something like that and there was a graphical limitation.  According to this website Gymnasium Documentation, it's a magic wand.

You are an elf and must use your magic wands to fend off spiders, fleas and centipedes. Your goal is to protect mushrooms in an enchanted forest. If you are bitten by a spider, flea or centipede, you will be temporally paralyzed and you will lose a magic wand. The game ends once you have lost all wands. You may receive additional wands after scoring a sufficient number of points.

In Millipede, you play as the Archer.

This is from Wikipedia: The player no longer takes the role of the "Bug Blaster" from Centipede, but instead takes the role of an elf called the "Archer". The object of the game is to destroy a millipede that advances downward from the top of the screen.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

That would've been nice.  Perhaps they used something like that and there was a graphical limitation.  According to this website Gymnasium Documentation, it's a magic wand.

You are an elf and must use your magic wands to fend off spiders, fleas and centipedes. Your goal is to protect mushrooms in an enchanted forest. If you are bitten by a spider, flea or centipede, you will be temporally paralyzed and you will lose a magic wand. The game ends once you have lost all wands. You may receive additional wands after scoring a sufficient number of points.

In Millipede, you play as the Archer.

This is from Wikipedia: The player no longer takes the role of the "Bug Blaster" from Centipede, but instead takes the role of an elf called the "Archer". The object of the game is to destroy a millipede that advances downward from the top of the screen.

We must consult the sacred scripture (manuals) to see what Atari have to say on these two games! 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

I'm finding it rather ironic that they're suggesting that your goal is to protect mushrooms, given that you not only earn no penalties for blowing them away (and thus freeing up your field to shoot your targets more easily), but you actively get bonus points for partially-destroyed mushrooms.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/6/2024 at 2:45 AM, JetmanUK said:

Today’s RTFM game is Asteroids.

OK, you probably read that and thought hmm, come on Jet, this is the simplest game to understand, you press fire and say bye bye to an asteroid, rinse and repeat. Well, yeah. But I am not talking about the general gameplay here, I am talking about a couple of the 2600’s best features, game variations on most carts and the difficulty switch settings.

Most of the many many hours I have played Asteroids has been on the default settings of game 1. This mode is a great way to play it, particularly if you have OCD. Clean up the screen, ooh look, more mess, clean it up. Eventually I get bored and turn the game off.

As a kid I do remember flicking through the 66 game variations, but do not ever recall RTFM, so I think I just occasionally arbitrarily played a game number, but 99% of the time played game 1. I don’t recall exactly but I may never have seen shields or flip modes more than once or twice.

Most of my time playing VCS games back in the day I would also play with the difficulty switches set to B, they were rarely, if ever adjusted. I don’t remember if I knew that B was beginner or if it was just how my older brother had them set and that was how I learnt to play. Due to this in my childhood I NEVER played Asteroids on the 2600 with satellites and UFO’s! I grew up assuming that they were not in this version! I was very young when I first played Atari, so put it down to DYK, Dumb Young Kid syndrome.

So I can announce that after I have educated myself I am currently a difficulty A, game 10 guy. This is much harder than how I played the game for the last 43 years and is a breath of fresh air. As I get better I will switch to 12, 14 then 16.

How do you play?

Game Grid Guide.png

Asteroids Game Grid.png

Another thing from the manual, hold Game Select and Game Reset down to quickly move through the game variations. I wonder if this works in other games too?

I came to this thread to mention Asteroids.  You REALLY need to adjust the game settings and then a very high quality experience is there.  Another game like that is Empire Strikes Back.  The default settings are much too easy and don't even feature the smart bombs.  Play with those switches and RTFM.

There are really so many examples like this.  Thankfully most of the manuals are here on AtariAge, and I've seen plenty of simple text-only collections over the years with small downloads giving you what you need fast. Example:  Atari Manual Tome (westg8.com)

• Like 4

Air Raiders (Knowing the trick to getting more ammunition when you land is key.)

Riddle of the Sphinx

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Final Approach

Bridge (At least the part about knowing how your partner bids)

Crypts of Chaos (You really need the manual for that one.)

• Like 3

Someone else mentioned asteroids. I like to play on the 18-24 range. Prefer flip to hyperspace, just speed and lives. Find it on a because that has more horizontal moving rocks then b. But as I said, if you look at the manual, you can see how even a simple game, especially for 2600, could have a range of not obvious features without RTFM (most the settings have no obvious appearance as you flip through settings either, outside vert vs horiz asteroids)

The lore for this series is all over the place. 

Perhaps if Atari do release the two games on one cart then they could take the opportunity to reboot it. I suggest that you are an earth defence pilot taking on the space insect invasion.  The mushrooms are hallucinations caused by, erm mushrooms. Cos your pilot likes them. 🤷🏻🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

@DEANJIMMY Enlightened me about STARGATE making use of twinstick controls. 

So I decided it was only proper to add STARGATE to the list of RTFM.

This game I purchased years ago CIB with 3 others one of them being ROBOTRON 2084 for the 7800! I just recently pulled them out of a box I had packed away.

ROBOTRON 2084 also makes use of twinstick controls. Thanks to @LS650 for informing me on that one.

So it pays to read the manual!

STARGATE

ROBOTRON 2084

IMG_0337.jpeg

IMG_0339.jpeg

IMG_0338.jpeg

IMG_0329.jpeg

IMG_0330.jpeg

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 5

37 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

@DEANJIMMY Enlightened me about STARGATE making use of twinstick controls. 

So I decided it was only proper to add STARGATE to the list of RTFM.

This game I purchased years ago CIB with 3 others one of them being ROBOTRON 2084 for the 7800! I just recently pulled them out of a box I had packed away.

ROBOTRON 2084 also makes use of twinstick controls. Thanks to @LS650 for informing me on that one.

STARGATE

ROBOTRON 2084

IMG_0337.jpeg

IMG_0339.jpeg

IMG_0338.jpeg

IMG_0329.jpeg

IMG_0330.jpeg

Also two of my absolute favourites arcade classics. Great fun to play them on the 2600 Plus. 

• Like 3

On 5/9/2024 at 6:12 PM, MrChickenz said:

I have that game. It's a good shooter.  Also, I use a custom made arcade twin stick controller.  I got the controller online.  It's well made and works great.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

RTFM

TRON DEADLY DISCS

It’s been awhile since I played this one. I was labeling my M NETWORK cartridges and I got hooked on playing TRON.

Thanks to @theonlygood and @pboland for sharing the label idea.

I forgot how much fun this game is. I also forgot Tron is able to recover health whenever you clear a screen before replacements arrive. There is skill to this game. Before passing through a doorway wait till an opponent fires a disc, then quickly pass through a doorway and shoot the opponent before he recovers his disc.

IMG_0415.jpeg

IMG_0439.jpeg

IMG_0440.jpeg

IMG_0441.jpeg

IMG_0442.jpeg

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

RTFM

TRON DEADLY DISCS

It’s been awhile since I played this one. I was labeling my M NETWORK cartridges and I got hooked on playing TRON.

I forgot how much fun this game is. I also forgot Tron is able to recover health whenever you clear a screen before replacements arrive. There is skill to this game. Before passing through a doorway wait till an opponent fires a disc, then quickly pass through a doorway and shoot the opponent before he recovers his disc.

IMG_0415.jpeg

IMG_0439.jpeg

IMG_0440.png

IMG_0441.jpeg

IMG_0442.png

I have this game.  Your label looks better than mine.  Also, I don't have a manual.  I like the game.  I played it once since getting a loose cart.  I need to start playing it again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Intellivision Master said:

I have this game.  Your label looks better than mine.  Also, I don't have a manual.  I like the game.  I played it once since getting a loose cart.  I need to start playing it again.

Share a pic of your label on the label thread if you like. I’d like to see it. Gives good ideas!

Yes I am hooked on playing it again! Lol

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

Share a pic of your label on the label thread if you like. I’d like to see it. Gives good ideas!

Yes I am hooked on playing it again! Lol

There is a photo of it from an M Network lot that I got.  It's in the thread collecting for the 2600+.  I'll look for my post on it.

Update: It's on page 50 and dated 1/27.  Astroblast had a missing label.  I made one for it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

RTFM

TRON DEADLY DISCS

IMG_0415.jpeg

IMG_0439.jpeg

IMG_0440.jpeg

IMG_0441.jpeg

IMG_0442.jpeg

This is another fun game. I haven't RTFM, so I will! 

Nice label too. 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, shane857 said:

Epyx's Winter Games and especially California games are great, and you definitely need to read the manual...

If you can make it through all four without spraining your wrist or thumb, you win the GOLD 🕹🦾🏅

IMG_0450.jpeg

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Today I am revisiting PAC-MAN for the Atari 2600 on the 2600+.

Let me say RTFM!

So this is one game I had in my collection since the early 80s. And that’s pretty much where it stayed was in my collection.

I never gave this game a chance. The few times I tried it was always game 1, never played for long it was too slow.

I never liked the look of it. But when you think about it, it’s an Atari 2600 game. This is how a lot of Atari 2600 games were. There’s nothing wrong with this game. The game play as far as controls are concerned it’s very smooth and responsive!

After I RTFM I selected Game #4 difficulty B PAC-MAN moves faster, Ghosts are at walking speed and difficulty is novice. Now I’m actually enjoying playing PAC-MAN it’s playing at a better speed. I will be trying the other variants as well.

There are those who look for good 2 player games for the 2600 and this is one of them!

And there’s even a mode for children.

IMG_0503.jpeg

IMG_0499.jpeg

IMG_0501.jpeg

IMG_0500.jpeg

IMG_0502.jpeg

IMG_0504.jpeg

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

Let me say RTFM!

So this is one game I had in my collection since the early 80s. And that’s pretty much where it stayed was in my collection.

I never gave this game a chance. The few times I tried it was always game 1, never played for long it was too slow.

I never liked the look of it. But when you think about it, it’s an Atari 2600 game. This is how a lot of Atari 2600 games were. There’s nothing wrong with this game. The game play as far as controls are concerned it’s very smooth and responsive!

After I RTFM I selected Game #4 difficulty B PAC-MAN moves faster, Ghosts are at walking speed and difficulty is novice. Now I’m actually enjoying playing PAC-MAN it’s playing at a better speed. I will be trying the other variants as well.

There are those who look for good 2 player games for the 2600 and this is one of them!

IMG_0503.jpeg

IMG_0499.jpeg

IMG_0501.jpeg

IMG_0500.jpeg

IMG_0502.jpeg

IMG_0504.jpeg

I like the 2600 version of Pac-Man.  Good to know about the different game modes.  I have this game on a multi-cart.  No manual but I can always look up the instructions online or just refer back to your post here.  Also, Junior Pac-Man has an easy mode where only one ghost chases you.  It's nice when games have other modes/options.  Keeps things interesting.  If only all the Atari 2600 games did that.

Edit:

I played the game on mode 4 like you did.  It makes the game easier. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MrChickenz said:

Let me say RTFM!

IMG_0503.jpeg

IMG_0499.jpeg

IMG_0501.jpeg

IMG_0500.jpeg

IMG_0502.jpeg

IMG_0504.jpeg

I enjoy PAC-MAN. Okay so it's nothing like the arcade in terms of graphics and sound, the gameplay is there thou which is what matters.

• Like 4