IGNORED

Updated cartridge socket prototypes

45 minutes ago, tradyblix said:

Does this mean there's something wrong with the current connector ?

Not really wrong, but not really right either, they have 4 extra teeth.

4 minutes ago, SuperZapperRecharge said:

Make an extra 100 of these and put the cartridge slot up for sale on Atari age for $15. Would be nice for those of us that fix consoles.

Since you're there also make an Atari VCS/2600 version without the 8 extra pins the 7800 uses.

12 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

If it all works out I'll list them online somewhere for sale and probably get a hundred or so to give away.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Yes. If it all works out I'll list them online somewhere for sale and probably get a hundred or so to give away.

Great news!! I've got my first 2600+  shelved due to a wonky socket! Can't wait to solder one of these bad boys in there so I can feed my Atari  addiction in multiple rooms.

Well it might help Activision carts, due to board thinness, they don't make good contact anyways. Though I think most the plus issue is the port is a bit looser than original hardware, though hey, maybe due to that some original games that don't work on original hardware might. Anybody try some xonox double end carts, iirc they simply don't fit. Or the supercharger? If I remember, the teeth that open the dust flap were to long to make contact on original hardware, maybe it works on the plus? (No expectations, but there's hoping)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, carpets said:

Great news!! I've got my first 2600+  shelved due to a wonky socket! Can't wait to solder one of these bad boys in there so I can feed my Atari  addiction in multiple rooms.

If you want to just solder a new socket on then I have a few, DM me to sort if you want one.

7 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

If you want to just solder a new socket on then I have a few, DM me to sort if you want one.

I wouldn't mind one of these newer cart slot replacements. Remember I 'adapted' an actual 7800 slot onto my 2600+. Though that does seem to be working quite fine for the moment, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have one of the newer ones on hand just in case. Also makes me wonder how well it can be adapted to an actual 7800?

21 hours ago, tradyblix said:

Does this mean there's something wrong with the current connector ?

I've seen a few instances of the one or more of the pins or whatever you call them bending. Granted, I don't know if it's caused by a faulty cartridge or ramming one in there at an angle or something. Mine's been fine. 

2 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I wouldn't mind one of these newer cart slot replacements. Remember I 'adapted' an actual 7800 slot onto my 2600+. Though that does seem to be working quite fine for the moment, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have one of the newer ones on hand just in case. Also makes me wonder how well it can be adapted to an actual 7800?

DM me and I'll send one over.

1 minute ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I'm also going to try one of these in my portable, to see how well they work in my form factor.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/7/2024 at 12:32 PM, Ben from Plaion said:

We've been working on an update of the cart socket. Its a bespoke, newly-tooled socket with pin design same as the original 2600 / 7800 machines. The thinking is that the new socket will in future manufacture runs replace the off the shelf edge connector currently use in the 2600+

I have 5 spare PCBs and if anyone has a lot of carts and would like one to test out, it would be great to receive feedback on its performance.

Thanks 

PXL_20240507_090205372.jpg

PXL_20240507_090211122.jpg

Oh, being away did not let me check this, so I missed a chance to test it😞

Got around 300 carts😉

Edited by DEANJIMMY

Posted (edited)
On 5/8/2024 at 2:52 PM, Video said:

Well it might help Activision carts, due to board thinness, they don't make good contact anyways. Though I think most the plus issue is the port is a bit looser than original hardware, though hey, maybe due to that some original games that don't work on original hardware might. Anybody try some xonox double end carts, iirc they simply don't fit. Or the supercharger? If I remember, the teeth that open the dust flap were to long to make contact on original hardware, maybe it works on the plus? (No expectations, but there's hoping)

The Activision carts were finicky at the beginning but after cleaning and inserting them carefully looking for the sweet spot, they became nobrainers. So for testing the new slot, some carts sitting in a box for 30 years would be perfect  but I still have a few finicky Activision carts.

I guess you had to grind the contacts in an 2600+ socket again, as the position and power of the preasure was different and should be the same with the new socket.

I have a Warlords cart which fails in a Jr but works on my 2600+

I still have some finicky Telegames and Taiwan carts. Will be interesting if they work better.

Telegames need the little lift up move to work. Frogs and Flies does not have this resistor from the pic and works better.

My Xonox double ender worked fine. Xonox problems were related to certain games but not the physical cart.

20231212_123916.jpg

20231212_123141.jpg

20231123_203140.jpg

Edited by DEANJIMMY

Posted (edited)

Yeah I got Sir Lancelot and Robin Hood too and it's fine. Alot of the carts I had in the beginning that were "dirty" don't give issues anymore. 

Juno First starting being a pain in the ass, but I can still get it to run after several insert attempts, on the 1.0 firmware I didn't have problems. I'm on 1.1x-r2/1.1.0.9 atm naturally. 

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 1