IGNORED

Updated cartridge socket prototypes

We've been working on an update of the cart socket. Its a bespoke, newly-tooled socket with pin design same as the original 2600 / 7800 machines. The thinking is that the new socket will in future manufacture runs replace the off the shelf edge connector currently use in the 2600+

I have 5 spare PCBs and if anyone has a lot of carts and would like one to test out, it would be great to receive feedback on its performance.

Thanks 

PXL_20240507_090205372.jpg

PXL_20240507_090211122.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I have 5 spare PCBs and if anyone has a lot of carts and would like one to test out, it would be great to receive feedback on its performance.

I've got about 240 carts and would be happy to test this out

I only have pretty mainstream cartridges from back in the day, so not worth it for me to be a tester.  Just wanted to say though how glad I am to see refinements like this being done!  I will certainly consider buying a second unit down the road.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, pseudografx said:

If the new sockets prove to be notably better than the current ones, will there be an option for existing owners to upgrade?

Yes. If it all works out I'll list them online somewhere for sale and probably get a hundred or so to give away.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, kjames_s_2000 said:

I only have pretty mainstream cartridges from back in the day, so not worth it for me to be a tester.  Just wanted to say though how glad I am to see refinements like this being done!  I will certainly consider buying a second unit down the road.

The IO board itself that the socket sits on is most likely also be getting a design revision as well, changing up the MCUs and some tracing re-routing.

• Like 1

As I was just telling Ben, I will be putting this under a microscope, next to an original NOS 7800 connector.  I'll let you guys know my findings, but I have already seen the "teeth" and I am super optimistic. 🤙

EDIT: I am not talking about a toy microscope either. :D

Scope.png

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, CPUWIZ said:

As I was just telling Ben, I will be putting this under a microscope, next to an original NOS 7800 connector.  I'll let you guys know my findings, but I have already seen the "teeth" and I am super optimistic. 🤙

EDIT: I am not talking about a toy microscope either. :D

Scope.png

I think I've made a big mistake 😅

• Haha 1