IGNORED

CX78+, 7800 carts delayed

THX-1138

3 hours ago, phoenixdownita said:

Any of you with a cx78+ tested it and can share opinions?

(I never liked the nub stick… for example but maybe this time around they work better with it on, who knows?)

Gonna test mine shortly. Bear in mind that I've never used an OG one so I can't compare, I can only say how I like this one. 

I have played briefly Food Fight and Pole Position II with the new CX78+. Compared to the old CX78 I have it is more responsive. I think it is a good choice for games like Pole Position or Crystal Quest. But for Food Fight or Ms Pac-Man, where you sometimes need to quickly react and make wild moves the CX40+ is a better choice. 

IMG_2977.jpeg

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Blimey! How far away from the TV do you sit?! 

Two of them are permanently connected to the 2600+ and the other two are spare... I even have got a 4(!) player adapter for my C64 to play Bomberland and other games 😊

Good cables are hard to get. The ones from German Ebay are crap on the 2600+... phantom A/B buttonpresses...

And yes, in the living room it needs cables😉

20240621_195912.jpg

Edited by DEANJIMMY
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Gonna test mine shortly. Bear in mind that I've never used an OG one so I can't compare, I can only say how I like this one. 

I've tried the CX78+ on both Ninja Golf and Gas Hog, with and without the little stick. Thoughts - I'm not sure about the stick yet, I find it kinda twitchy, I jumped accidentally in Hais Hog a number of times. You probably just have to get used to it, and when you do the twitchiness could be handy for some games. For now I'd say I liked the experience without the little stick, it's a nice joypad. 

To touch on something that has been mentioned elsewhere I would like to add that the cable being located at the right hand side of the controller did not bother me one bit. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

I've tried the CX78+ on both Ninja Golf and Gas Hog, with and without the little stick. Thoughts - I'm not sure about the stick yet, I find it kinda twitchy, I jumped accidentally in Hais Hog a number of times. You probably just have to get used to it, and when you do the twitchiness could be handy for some games. For now I'd say I liked the experience without the little stick, it's a nice joypad. 

To touch on something that has been mentioned elsewhere I would like to add that the cable being located at the right hand side of the controller did not bother me one bit. 

Did you notice that the thumbstick is not screwed in out of the box and instead is in a little plastic bag....that was a conscious decision.

Of course the thumbstick had to be included for authenticities sake but yeah I play dpad only with the CX78+. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Did you notice that the thumbstick is not screwed in out of the box and instead is in a little plastic bag....that was a conscious decision.

Of course the thumbstick had to be included for authenticities sake but yeah I play dpad only with the CX78+. 

Yep, it may be better left in the cute little bag, but I need to give it a chance as I am aware that I'm a noob when it comes to this particular controller. The buttons and the dpad are nice. 🤟🏻

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Yep, it may be better left in the cute little bag, but I need to give it a chance as I am aware that I'm a noob when it comes to this particular controller. The buttons and the dpad are nice. 🤟🏻

Dont bother. Trust me, I've played enough, lol.

Play games like Food Fight (I know I know), Berzerk, Missile Command, 1942, those eight way games imo play real good with the dpad. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Play games like Food Fight (I know I know), Berzerk, Missile Command, 1942, those eight way games imo play real good with the dpad. 

🤣

A dpad is a tried and tested way of playing, so yeah I can't imagine a little stick being an improvement, not on digital controls. 

6 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

I really like it but only without the thumb stick attached. I think my thumb would get sore pretty quickly with that. Also, occasional unintentional diagonal movements. But as a d-pad controller, really nice.

• Like 1

Thanks, so it seems the cx78+ is good enough and at 24.99us$ the price is reasonable … may grab a couple.

My original europads have the pcb under the joypad that is wearing off (the pad has a nub in the center) … at times I thought to put a rivet there to prop the pad up and make it less floaty … will see, internally the double pcb design of the old europads screamed of cheap and made it harder to reassemble, hopefully the new ones are better than that.

Edited by phoenixdownita

I tried the CX78+ with the thumbstick on Galaga and it actually played really well.  But as soon as I went to Centipede it got unscrewed as the d-pad is much more precise then.  Nice to have the option though.  Also neat, that the thumbstick will fit one of the original CX78 controllers as well.  

Really like the new joypad and I can see me getting a lot more use out of the 7800 games as my original one was getting a bit past it and tended to stick in some movements.  It's also really cool just to open up another official Atari product so well done Ben and all involved :)

Now please, when do we find out the titles in the next batch of 2600+ releaes?  Asteroids 7800 pretty please!

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

We want to play 1942 with dpad as well. :) 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, atariman72 said:

I tried the CX78+ with the thumbstick on Galaga and it actually played really well.  But as soon as I went to Centipede it got unscrewed as the d-pad is much more precise then.  Nice to have the option though.  Also neat, that the thumbstick will fit one of the original CX78 controllers as well.  

Really like the new joypad and I can see me getting a lot more use out of the 7800 games as my original one was getting a bit past it and tended to stick in some movements.  It's also really cool just to open up another official Atari product so well done Ben and all involved :)

Now please, when do we find out the titles in the next batch of 2600+ releaes?  Asteroids 7800 pretty please!

Nice one.

There are some announcements planned for August for future releases.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I screwed it before first use, as I always used the stick with the original pad, which was not as good as the CX78+

Commando played fine with the stick, other games like HERO might play better without the stick but I am scared to lose the stick😅

Will give it a try😊

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I asked. The application was rejected. 

Oh, pity.
Strange, considering how many 1942 rip-offs are in the mobile phone app stores, but corporate decisions do not follow common sense logic. 

• Like 1

Received my PAL 7800 rereleases yesterday.  There may be a palette issue with Fatal Run - stage 7 displays almost entirely black and is unplayable (as I cant see the road!).  This is the same on experimental firmware r3 and r4.  Can anyone else confirm this (or could it just be my TV)? 

fr7800.jpg