IGNORED

The Ultimate 7800 Collectors Thread

thund3r

Got everything... all complete. Even the hiscore cart. All I really need are a couple of PAL versions where I have NTSC instead (as naturally I can't actually play them here) and the monitor cart. And any protos out there.

Just need to wait for the digital camera to return from the repairs after my father dropped it and knackered the focus mechanism :roll:

Heh, ok, whip it out...I have sealed and open box copies of all the NTSC 7800 games, as well as an official 7800 dev board and that strange 7800 Delorean Prototype (not exactly a real proto but it has an interesting history).

Also have a spare 7800 Alien Brigade, perfect label and instructions, no box, available for trade.

Eric

I am proud to say I have joined the bandwagon on this one (which is something since I'm often heard saying how much of a "non collector" I am). But thanks to CPUWIZ I'm all over that 7800 action after the fact :D ..Only problem is I can't check it out until the 25th of December :ponder:

Why not? I'm obsessed. I want to preserve this stuff for the future, Ive had a complete collection since the early 1990s. I want to make sure my kids and grandkids can enjoy these games later on down the road.

Everything ever made for the 7800, boxed, x6 with the exception of the High Score Cartridge of which I only have one.

Wow! I only have one of everything boxed. I didn't even try for a boxed PAL collection except for the HES/Salu games, most of the rest of my PAL collection is loose.

Do you have the 7800 Beeshu Zoomer? It seems to be about the hardest 7800 accesory to find (unless you count the red G1 lightgun). I still haven't found a box for mine yet.

Mitch

Actually I shouldnt say 6x of everything.... more like 6x of everything NTSC that was officially released, and at least one of everything that has been released as reproduction cartridges, etc. I have some boxed PAL cartridges, but not a lot. Most of my collection comes from when this stuff went on clearance and from when I used to get things directly from Atari.

Does anybody have an original High Score Cartridge prototype from when Atari under Warner and GCC were developing it? Did they ever get to the point where they had it on a cartridge, or have any sort of design for the concept as far as what the cartridge was going to look like, etc?

Curt?

and that strange 7800 Delorean Prototype (not exactly a real proto but it has an interesting history).  

Say what now?

Tempest

What. I have the whole history tucked away with the thing...Apparently someone associated with either Delorean or a large Delorean dealership was pitching a Delorean-badged 7800 to Atari with Poll Position built in. I think this was supposed to be a promotion to help the dealer liquidate stock, since DMC had either already closed or was on its last legs. There were two protos, basically 7800's painted silver with Delorean badges and stickers, as well as some hand-made metal plates that would cover up the black plastic.

Exactly how legit it is as a prototype is questionable, but it could definitely be called an historical curiosity. I'm really busy doing an entrepreneurial thing and I forget stuff (like scanning Lynx manuals for Albert, sad thing is most of the ones still on the list are sitting in a box on the floor near my desk). But if someone periodically reminds me I could get around to taking some pics and posting the story behind it.

Eric

Heh, ok, whip it out...I have sealed and open box copies of all the NTSC 7800 games, as well as an official 7800 dev board and that strange 7800 Delorean Prototype (not exactly a real proto but it has an interesting history).

Also have a spare 7800 Alien Brigade, perfect label and instructions, no box, available for trade.

Eric

Eric, you did NOT get suckered into buying one of those FAKE home-made Delorean Huckster-proto's?!?!?! Those are faker then Pamela Andersons whole body!!!

Curt

Does anybody have an original High Score Cartridge prototype from when Atari under Warner and GCC were developing it? Did they ever get to the point where they had it on a cartridge, or have any sort of design for the concept as far as what the cartridge was going to look like, etc?

Curt?

Nope, according to Gary all he had received from GCC was the schematic and the binary which he had given to me and turned into the high score cart, (which he corrects me on all the time and says it should be High Score card)

Curt

The Huckster who put together that lame ass story about Tramiel finding a stash of the units already made and delivering them to Delorean was such a crock, I nearly fell for it and almost got one of the units.

When I checked with Brad Saville would did the actual production of the 7800's initial 5,000 unit run in May-June 84 (the units with only 3 sockets on the far right side and date codes 2284 and 2284)

He told me NO ONE from any firm contacted Atari nor did Atari Marketing contact anyone, no deals were inked or mention, nothing but the standard 7800's in the larger boxes with the "Expandable to Computer with add-on Keyboard" on the boxes. 5000 units were made, Brad met with Jack in a meeting and was fired 3 days later.

Gary Rubio was also the OOEM (Original-Original Equip Manufacturer) Liason between Atari & GCC and he knows nothing whatsoever and he was involved in all aspects of the project from the get go.

Roy Nishi, head of Atari's Consumer Electronics Industrial Design group, the guys who designed the cases, badges, coloring etc... for the plastics and metal of Atari products assigned Barney Huang to redesign the 2800 into the 7800 and HE would have known about ANY cosmetic changes, add-ons, 3rd party involvement to changes, etc... and he knows NOTHING of any outside involvement with specially badged 7800's

Bottom line, the DMC 7800's are fakes made in someones garage.

Curt

Eric -

I am fortunate enough to be a DeLorean owner myself as well as a 7800 freak so I know a bit about this strange tale.

Long story short, those 7800s had *nothing* to do with Atari what-so-ever. The reason you can't call this thing a prototype is because it wasn't anything Atari was involved with. Believe me, I looked into this as best as I could. There was an automotive conglomerate in Columbus, OH that was a big DeLorean dealership in the early 1980s. They continued to provide parts for the cars after they stoped production in January of 1983. Appearantly this automotive conglomerate had a "Holiday Catalogue" that was sent out around every Christmas with little gift ideas, etc. Sometime in the mid 80's (I'm guessing Christmas 1986) they had a 7800 game set with a 7800 and a few games. Only difference was they "DeLorean-ized" it to make it special for their dealership. Again, this was THEM doing it, NOT Atari. I'm not sure of the name of this group but I can try to find out.

What makes yours special is that it's silver. I have seen two other units like this at a DeLorean get-together and they weren't any different from the standard 7800 units except the strip along the button area (power, pause, select, reset) was silver, and they had "DeLorean" on the metal name plate. Why yours is silver I dont know, but I'd venture a guess that the one you have is the dealership's "rough draft" of what they wanted to do. I'm guessing that making them silver was too much work? I'd really like to see a picture of what you have.

From what I know, most of these are lost to the wild. Most likely some kid got one for Christmas and was dissapointed because he didn't get a Nintendo, and pitched it two years later when he finally did. There is a man in Belfast, Northern Ireland who contacted me several years ago who claimed to have two of these things and he was offering them to me for a lot of money. I turned him down. Frankly I think it was kind of a silly idea. I hate to see 7800 units bastardized like that. I like my coffee with cream and no sugar. I like my 7800s with Galaga and no goofy mods. :D

BTW -

What Curt said could very well be true too. I havent ever seen anything that would make me think these things were for real. I just have heard the story a few times, and I'm goin on pure word of mouth here. I'd still like to see a picture though.

Exactly how legit it is as a prototype is questionable, but it could definitely be called an historical curiosity. I'm really busy doing an entrepreneurial thing and I forget stuff (like scanning Lynx manuals for Albert, sad thing is most of the ones still on the list are sitting in a box on the floor near my desk). But if someone periodically reminds me I could get around to taking some pics and posting the story behind it.

Eric, you did NOT get suckered into buying one of those FAKE home-made Delorean Huckster-proto's?!?!?! Those are faker then Pamela Andersons whole body!!!

See this is what I thought. I remember that whole deal back around 98-99 I think. I almost bought one too, but things seemed REALLY fishy. I think the guy lived close to me at the time and I offered to go pick one up in person and he got all weird so I took that as a bad sign and didn't go through with it (I think you also advised me against it Curt).

When you sit and think about it, it really doesn't make alot of sense. What do video games and cars have in common anyway? Then again why do banks give away toasters...

Got a picture of this thing?

Tempest

When you sit and think about it' date=' it really doesn't make alot of sense. What do video games and cars have in common anyway? Then again why do banks give away toasters...

Got a picture of this thing?

Tempest[/quote']

Well... actually Jaguar, the car dealer contacted Atari about the Jaguar 64 to do some kind of deal, I have a memo about it, thing is if I recall, Sam Tramiel was being kind cheap about giving Jaguar some sample units, I've got the memo here someplace, I will scan and post.

Curt