IGNORED

Atari acquires Intellivision brand and large game portofilio

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Giles N said:

Can they say anything about whether these games were completed, but unreleased, or whether they need additional work to be completed?

There are at least a couple dozen unreleased Intellivision titles that are playable. They've almost all been published or shared. More if you count Tutorvision titles. 

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Giles N said:

Commando’… you’re a Commando-soldier… 
Mercs = abreviation for mercenaries. In the game from Capcom, you are one of three… mercenaries…

You're commenting Western names though. Both games are called Wolf of the Battlefield in Japan. And both are old games anyway, it didn't matter as much back then.

Posted (edited)

@thread

Perhaps a bit early to mention, but nevertheless not too early to consider:

Has Atari made any request or general statement about who should contact who (fan sites)

The disclaimers about registered trademark ownership, logos, statements about "used by permission" etc. will likely need to be reattributed to the current owner.

Edited by number6
punctuation

21 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

And both are old games anyway, it didn't matter as much back then.

But ‘Minecraft’, ‘Summerhouse’ snd ‘Pacific Drive’ are titles that if you imagine you’d never seen or heard about the games (with Minecraft, perhaps difficult), would’ve blown your mind and opened mental doors of imagination to exotic, exciting or expanding worlds…?

Sure…Adventure, in and by itself sounds generic now, and since Atari didn’t follow suit to produce sequels, it has the familiarity I mentioned: known by those who grew up with a 2600, re-introduced to modern retrogamers via collections, and to children [with parents] through the 2600 Lego-set.

Which is why I’ve several times mentioned it should serve as a franchise title akin to ‘Star Wars’ - which, if you imagine you knew nothing of it, could sound very, very generic.

Moreover, Adventure is a western produced game; perhaps it would’ve gotten the title The Legends of Final Adventures, if it has been released in Japan?

On 5/28/2024 at 10:22 PM, number6 said:

@thread

As long as we remain in speculation mode, here's one:

Why Intellivision Games Could Be Coming To Antstream Arcade

mr_me mentioned "Atari 400 mini", which got me thinking. Darren Melbourne, the licensing expert behind all Retro Games Ltd. projects is also co-founder and licensing director at Antstream. Could this also be that gentle way to test the waters before embarking on a more bold venture with the IE brand?

And what better person to consult with regarding any licensing issues that might arise or already exist regarding distribution of titles thought to be off limits?

I said this before.  Atari owns a stake in AntStream and the more games on that platform by Atari, the more dependent they are of Atari.

2 hours ago, duzkiss said:

I said this before.  Atari owns a stake in AntStream and the more games on that platform by Atari, the more dependent they are of Atari.

Thank you for confirming the relationship. I heard a statement that Darren also owns some Atari IP personally. True?

Posted (edited)
On 5/26/2024 at 2:12 AM, CPUWIZ said:

Rats, no AtariVisionAge.com either then?

I was about to suggest Mattatari.com (occupied) or Mattetari.com (available), but realized that Atari didn't buy Mattel as a company, only the Intellivision.

Edited by carlsson

42 minutes ago, carlsson said:

I was about to suggest Mattatari.com (occupied) or Mattetari.com (available), but realized that Atari didn't buy Mattel as a company, only the Intellivision.

If you're pondering the new branding?

Likely

On 5/30/2024 at 7:23 PM, Albert said:

Regarding the count of 200+ titles that Atari acquired, I can confirm that there are over 30 Aquarius titles and over 180 Intellivision titles. 

As the thread now has become somewhat complicated, and speculations abound (at least as seen from my relative ‘outsider’ view), is it possibly to verify whether the Imagic titles are part of the 200+ acquired?

If something here has been mentioned over and over, but flew right above my head, sorry for not keeping up.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, carlsson said:

Make it simple: why not just ‘Intell’?

I don’t think it’s in use.

Here is the new logo…

IMG_0550.thumb.jpeg.c71d14b61a4798204212dc355220715f.jpeg

Edited by Giles N
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, duzkiss said:

While streaming isn't the best way to play these old games, it does make it more straightforward to implement online multiplayer. With all the two player only Intellivision games, an online multiplayer feature would make Antstream standout as a service for Intellivision players.

Or, online multiplayer implemented through Atari SA servers without streaming would be even better.

7 minutes ago, Giles N said:

As the thread now has become somewhat complicated, and speculations abound (at least as seen from my relative ‘outsider’ view), is it possibly to verify whether the Imagic titles are part of the 200+ acquired?

If something here has been mentioned over and over, but flew right above my head, sorry for not keeping up.

IE didn’t claim to own Imagic copyrights so it's not something they can sell. They did claim access to the catalog, e.g. licences. Those licenses might be transferable, assuming they had and still have them.

My guess is, to get to 200, every Mattel Electronics and INTV Corp project, playable or not, that has some code is included. Maybe even some of those from their contracted developers are included.

I know it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, but which party approached the other regarding the sale/purchase? Did Atari reach out with an offer or did the former holder knock on Atari's door and say "Psst, hey buddy. Wanna buy some Intellivision?" 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Buck said:

I know it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, but which party approached the other regarding the sale/purchase? Did Atari reach out with an offer or did the former holder knock on Atari's door and say "Psst, hey buddy. Wanna buy some Intellivision?" 

Likely that they came begging to sell.

• Haha 1

On 5/30/2024 at 5:07 PM, number6 said:

@thread

Perhaps a bit early to mention, but nevertheless not too early to consider:

Has Atari made any request or general statement about who should contact who (fan sites)

The disclaimers about registered trademark ownership, logos, statements about "used by permission" etc. will likely need to be reattributed to the current owner.

For those who have not yet noticed, this discussion is now underway:

Atari Trademarks Thread

• Like 1

Makes me wonder now that if Atari also has the rights to the old Mattel Children's Discovery System computer.  It had interchangable cartridges and overlays with a few arcade game carts but it was mainly an edutainment device.  It also had the IntelliVision running man.

Children's Discovery System Facts for Kids

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Zeptari said:
On 5/31/2024 at 10:56 PM, Giles N said:

Here is the new logo…

IMG_0550.thumb.jpeg.c71d14b61a4798204212dc355220715f.jpeg

Are they making smart sneakers?

Thinking about it deeply, I have come to fully change my mind and my take on this issue; as the above could be interpreted to be very close to mislead people to think it concerns selling Intellivision SneakerHats…

…So, I took an utterly different approach which should be safe:

IMG_0575.thumb.jpeg.c1bb32ce5fbc61225fc5d68497e26a40.jpeg

Edited by Giles N
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Zeptari said:

Now I want a hamburger and a coke.

Intelldo! what Cokain’t… give you the BurgerTime sequel in a unoffical way that’s bigger than you think… with some Chips, and no prison-time for abusing… uhm… licenses…

Edited by Giles N

3 hours ago, Giles N said:

Seriously; Is ‘Diner’ officially a BurgerTime game, or just a BurgerTime style game, but independent as franchise…??

The French Wikipedia page (strangely enough there's not an English one) describes Diner as an exclusive sequel to BurgerTime. But I'm wondering if it was that official, tbh.

• Thanks 1