IGNORED

Atari acquires Intellivision brand and large game portofilio

6 hours ago, jhd said:

Well, the Odyssey 2 was produced by Philips (whose last foray into gaming was the CD-i).

I doubt that anyone at Philips would even be aware of the O2's existence, so convincing them to sell (or license) the rights would probably be the biggest challenge. That said, I cannot imagine that the asking price would be very substantial. 

There are plenty of people at Phillips (and NXP, for that matter) that remember the O2...

Personally, the Odyssey 2 is a more interesting acquisition target than Coleco, as the O2 library is almost all original IP, at least the US library, not sure about the Philips titles. And I'm not including the few third-party titles, of course. 

..Al

• Like 11

13 minutes ago, Albert said:

Personally, the Odyssey 2 is a more interesting acquisition target than Coleco, as the O2 library is almost all original IP, at least the US library, not sure about the Philips titles. And I'm not including the few third-party titles, of course. 

..Al

Does Coleco have their own IPs? I can't think of any but I'm not a Coleco guy.

3 hours ago, Dionoid said:

I think you mean BBG Entertainment, who bought the IP rights of “Shark! Shark!” and “Astrosmash” last year, see
https://bbg-entertainment.com/about/ , which contains the text:

BBG Entertainment announced on May 24th, 2023 the acquisition of the ASTROSMASH® and SHARK! SHARK!® intellectual properties with all rights pertaining thereto, from Intellivision® Entertainment, LLC. Under this new ownership arrangement, Intellivision® Entertainment, LLC will retain any preexisting activations of the original versions of ASTROSMASH® and SHARK! SHARK!® as well as any versions for future platforms from Intellivision®.

I’m not a legal guy, but now Atari has acquired Intellivision, I think they also have the right to publish Astrosmash and Shark! Shark! on their platforms, like the Atari VCS 800 and Atari 2600+ 

Basically IE sold Astrosmash and Shark Shark. This includes the new one and old Intv games. IE made a deal where they could release Astrosmash and Shark Shark, without paying BBG, on Amico/Amico Home. However IE wouldn't have been able to make a sequel to those two games and release it. Since Intellivision is no more, I think Atari would have to license them from BBG.

Plus the deal will be in place still with whatever IE rebrand themselves as. On the flip side Atari has the rights to Astroblaster. So unless you are tied to a name, them not having Astrosmash is a nothing burger IMO.

• Like 2

On 5/23/2024 at 6:03 PM, MrBeefy said:

Very few, from what I can see.  Here's the Wikipedia page with the list of ColecoVision games:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ColecoVision_games

These are the games I can spot that were published by Coleco and may be entirely original titles:

Fortune Builder

Illusions

Monkey Academy

Super Action Baseball

Super Action Football

Telly Turtle

And that's all I can see, and I'm not even 100% sure all the games in the above, short list are entirely original and/or without IP encumbrance.  Everything else is either based on an existing game, uses a third-party trademark as part of the name/theme, or is a title published by a third-party.  Remarkable to see just how few original games were created for the ColecoVision.

..Al

PS: Looks like I was wrong about including Monkey Academy and Fortune Builder above, so the list is even shorter now!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, mr_me said:

IE may have registered or applied to register those trademarks, but if IE don't have products in the market to go along with those trademarks (they don't), they're not valid trademarks. If someone, like Atari SA, were interested in those trademarks, why would they pay to IE good money for something that's not valid.

Sick Station 19 GIF by ABC Network

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Atariboy said:

New overlays are still available? I thought that boat sailed years ago.

Happen to have a link handy where a pack can be bought?

I was able to purchase the original and extra overlay packs just over 2 years ago from the Blue Sky Rangers eBay store, but after a quick check it seems they only have individual repro overlays available at the moment:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303959885315?itmmeta=01HYM0W1VVV9DEDPNN1228D9AG&hash=item46c56bc603:g:71gAAOSw5PNgd2mW

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303959904696?itmmeta=01HYM098KDDPQGS15SQJW2PFQQ&hash=item46c56c11b8:g:t74AAOSwSCxgd3wh

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, SegaSnatcher said:

Can Atari technically release an Intellivision flashback like system or something similar to their 2600+ that accepts original carts?

Of course, assuming they have rights to the Intellivision system exec rom. A cartridge based software emulator might have trouble dumping some modern homebrew cartridges without help from the cartridge developer.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Albert said:

Very few, from what I can see.  Here's the Wikipedia page with the list of ColecoVision games:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ColecoVision_games

These are the games I can spot that were published by Coleco and may be entirely original titles:

Fortune Builder

Illusions

Monkey Academy

Super Action Baseball

Super Action Football

Telly Turtle

And that's all I can see, and I'm not even 100% sure all the games in the above, short list are entirely original and/or without IP encumbrance.  Everything else is either based on an existing game, uses a third-party trademark as part of the name/theme, or is a title published by a third-party.  Remarkable to see just how few original games were created for the ColecoVision.

..Al

Monkey Academy is Konami (I believe that there's a MSX version). It was my first Konami game back in the day, actually (and is one of the better educational games that I've ever played, with some decent arcade action mixed in at higher difficulties).

And Telly Turtle is Carousel Software Inc.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 5

52 minutes ago, Albert said:

Fortune Builder

Illusions

Monkey Academy

Super Action Baseball

Super Action Football

Telly Turtle

Illusions is the only one i have here, got it in trade with someone here a few years ago. I really need to try one of the Coleco sports games.

59 minutes ago, Albert said:

Remarkable to see just how few original games were created for the ColecoVision

So true...  but that back box art brought so much joy to me. So many Arcade titles.. Loved my 2600, but man that felt so next gen back then. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Atariboy said:

Monkey Academy is Konami (I believe that there's a MSX version). It was my first Konami game back in the day, actually (and is one of the better educational games that I've ever played, with some decent arcade action mixed in at higher difficulties).

And Telly Turtle is Carousel Software Inc.

Well, I guess strike those two titles then!

..Al

Posted (edited)

So really obtaining Coleco would probably be best to make a 2600+ type device. Unless Atari owns enough games that were also on CV that they could release a game compilatio of.

1 hour ago, SegaSnatcher said:

Can Atari technically release an Intellivision flashback like system or something similar to their 2600+ that accepts original carts?

Yeah. They own it now. I can't think of a reason they couldn't. Literally the only thing it seems Atari didn't take was Amico. Which was smart of them.  I'm actually glad to see Atari get it. This at least will probably guarantee they release some of the old stuff in a mew package.

I actually wouldn't be surprised to see Atari make a Intv controller or something for PC. 

Edited by MrBeefy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, avanze said:

I wonder how much Atari paid for this. Great idea btw.

Well IE is pretty desperate for cash and had already sold off two of their main IPs.

So hopefully Atari got a good deal. I'm pretty sure IE needs this money to pay some devs to get the source code for games they want to release for Amico Home.

The Intellivision had some awesome games, but those controller...ugh. I'm just so glad these old games are still being thought of decades after release. it really is very cool.

Can't wait to see what comes out of this.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Basically IE sold Astrosmash and Shark Shark. This includes the new one and old Intv games. IE made a deal where they could release Astrosmash and Shark Shark, without paying BBG, on Amico/Amico Home. However IE wouldn't have been able to make a sequel to those two games and release it. Since Intellivision is no more, I think Atari would have to license them from BBG.

Plus the deal will be in place still with whatever IE rebrand themselves as. On the flip side Atari has the rights to Astroblaster. So unless you are tied to a name, them not having Astrosmash is a nothing burger IMO.

Unless Atari buys BBG, (which, if I were Atari that has been going around buying all of these random companies, would choose as my next target after acquiring Intellivision & M Network,) I can see if Atari decided to make some sort of Intellivision collection or mini, they'd end up including the Astroblast Atari 2600 ROM on it since the game is so heavily tied to Intellivision in people's minds & they don't have the rights to the Intellivision Astrosmash ROM.

«the rights to more than 200 games from its portfolio.»

«Atari will use the Intellivision brand and game rights to expand its digital and physical distrubution of classic games and potentially create new ones.»

At least, it seems they got hold of quite a lot of game IPs… more than 200.

I know very little about Intellivision and its history, but could be interesting to hear speculations from those familiar with all of this, which titles we speak of here, and which ones would have the greatest significance or potential for high ‘comeback value’.

• Like 1