IGNORED

Focused Discussions - Atari Employee Avatars & Atari Privacy Policy

Posted (edited)

This thread is intended for focused discussion of two questions regarding Atari's purchase of Atari Age.

1) Should Atari employees be identified as such under their avatars each time they post here in the forums?

2) Has the Atari Privacy Policy been released yet?  If yes, let's read it and discuss it together.  If not, let's ask Atari to please release it now.  

Guys, post your comments, below!  

Edited by Living Room Arcade

6 hours ago, Living Room Arcade said:

2) Has the Atari Privacy Policy been released yet?  If yes, let's read it and discuss it together.  If not, let's ask Atari to please release it now.  

Scroll down to the footer of this page. Click on Privacy Policy. Like everything else on AtariAge, so far, it's unchanged since the ownership changed hands.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I assume this is a leftover

(Red emphasis mine, nothing new in the stipulations per se just that it’s unexpected that this is even there at all)

Advertising Privacy Statement

This Site is affiliated with AdThrive, LLC (“AdThrive”) for the purposes of placing advertising on the Site.  AdThrive uses standard and widely-available tools for the placement and serving of ads, including those provided by Google, Inc. and its affiliates. We publish interest-based advertisements on the Site; that is, ads that are tailored to reflect your interests. To help understand your interests, AdThrive, Google and our other advertising partners will track your behaviour on our website and on other websites across the Internet using cookies.  

A cookie is a file containing an identifier (a string of letters and numbers) that is sent by a web server to a web browser and is stored by the browser. The identifier is then sent back to the server each time the browser requests a page from the server. Cookies may be either "persistent" cookies or "session" cookies: a persistent cookie will be stored by a web browser and will remain valid until its set expiry date, unless deleted by the user before the expiry date; a session cookie, on the other hand, will expire at the end of the user session, when the web browser is closed.  Cookies do not typically contain any information that personally identifies a user, but personal information that we store about you may be linked to the information stored in and obtained from cookies. 

By using this Site, you consent to the use of such cookies and the sharing of data captured by such cookies with AdThrive, Google, and our other third party partners. You can view, delete or add interest categories associated with your browser by visiting: https://adssettings.google.com. You can also opt out of the network cookie using those settings or using the Network Advertising Initiative's multi-cookie opt-out mechanism at: http://optout.networkadvertising.org. However, these opt-out mechanisms themselves use cookies, and if you clear the cookies from your browser your opt-out will not be maintained.  

For European Economic Area Residents

If you reside in a country in the European Economic Area (EEA), then under the GDPR and applicable data protection laws you have the rights, among other things, to access your personal data, have us erase it, and/or restrict its further processing.  If you wish to access or delete your personal data (if any) maintained by us or AdThrive related to advertising on the Site, you can contact us at editor@atariage.com and contact AdThrive at info@adthrive.com. If you wish to see a list of the advertising partners we work with or change which of those partners track your behavior using cookies, click the ad preferences link at the bottom of the site. (Available in the EU.)

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Well the Atari.com one is here

https://atari.com/pages/privacy-cookies

The AA one is pretty std, I know Albert was mulling over the idea of ads but then he decided not to pursue, alas the clause above allows the AdThrive provider to actually have tracking code and cookies as is even without actual ads … not sure that tech is deployed on AA right now, and not sure Atari by way of purchasing AA has a relationship with AdThrive LLC.

I lean on the leftover and that AdThrive LLC is currently not getting anything from AA.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I am reading the comments in the main thread (AtariAge + Atari Q&A).  

Spoiler

I started reading here

image.thumb.png.ac595f9911216a39e2f9588a1c444e8d.png

including the valuable exchange between @phoenixdownita, @Albert and @TrogdarRobusto ("Dave") and I stopped reading here.  

image.thumb.png.9dca0a856a108608eb53d207eee200b5.png

My Comments

I think in the above dialogue, which focuses on Phoenix's concerns about privacy issues, I agree with everything that @phoenixdownita, @Albert and @TrogdarRobusto are saying.  IMO Phoenix is asking sensible questions and Mr. Albert and Mr. Dave are giving sensible answers.  I think where the two parties are perhaps missing each other is that Mr. Albert and Mr. Dave are effectively saying, "Trust us" and Phoenix is effectively saying that he would feel more comfortable if he could see these privacy policies in writing. 

Is that correct, @phoenixdownita?  You would like to see some type of formal, written policy statements from Atari clarifying these privacy issues in writing?   

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Living Room Arcade said:

Is that correct, @phoenixdownita?  You would like to see some type of formal, written policy statements from Atari clarifying these privacy issues in writing?   

Trying to reading the room here and “Trust us” is all we are going to get.

I wish for some updates in the policy to reflect the ownership explicitly, hopefully a marker for Atari employees and, there’s gotta be a way, volunteer moderators covered by official affiliation so their actions on this site are not on “personal basis”.

I am bummed that Albert is just an employee and there’s no subsidiary structure governing AA with him at the helm (think AWS with its dedicated CEO vs Amazon), but such is life, he sold, Atari bought.

The only constant in life is change, so things have and will change, some for the better but some would hurt bonafide fanmade work.

(all grey area roms on Atari IP have disappeared, I expect all advertisements of IP infringing content of third parties also will be targets [I mean we have quite a few subforums were port is the name of the game with IP from the likes of Namco-Bandai, Konami, Sega, Nintendo and many more] … which is understandable given the liability but that was also what made AA the place it is … one example only here as I don’t want to mess things up but without “the port” there’s no waka-waka-waka pellet eating action on 7800, which staying grey allowed to fill that hole in flying colors, the dev that did it is simply sensational).

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Good replies.

@phoenixdownita, could you please correct the grammar mistakes in this sentence?  "Trying to reading the room here and “Trust us” is all we are going to get."  I just want to understand your meaning.  

I think what we can do here is we can make a list of our questions and concerns that we can show to @Albert Mr. Albert and @TrogdarRobusto Mr. Dave later when we are ready.  

Here's what I think we have so far.  I added #3.  Questions #4 and #5 are not finished yet.  

Questions and Concerns for Mr. Albert and Mr. Dave

Spoiler
  1. Will there be some updates in the policy to reflect the ownership explicitly?
  2. Related follow up question: There are currently two Privacy Policy statements now, one here at AA and another one at Atari.com.  Will one eventually replace the other?  Will they eventually be merged into one Privacy Policy?  
  3. Will there be a marker for Atari employees?  Meaning, whenever an Atari employee posts anything here in the AA forums, will it say "Atari employee" under their avatars?
  4. Subsidiary structure - [this question is not ready yet]
  5. Grey area ROMS - [this question is not ready yet]

What do you think of our list of questions so far, Phoenix?  

@phoenixdownita You mentioned the grey area ROMS.  It's funny, I was just thinking recently that we need Hozer Video Games to come back.  I mean, there are so many valuable and important Atari 2600 games that really need to be put onto carts IMO.  The example is E.T. Completely Fixed Version 2 Final and the FIXED manual to go with it.  

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Living Room Arcade said:

@phoenixdownita You mentioned the grey area ROMS.  It's funny, I was just thinking recently that we need Hozer Video Games to come back.  I mean, there are so many valuable and important Atari 2600 games that really need to be put onto carts IMO.  The example is E.T. Completely Fixed Version 2 Final and the FIXED manual to go with it.  

Yeah, no, let me know when he stops pirating homebrew games, and please don't link to his site from AtariAge. 

Thank you, 

..Al

• Like 5

Sorry @Living Room Arcade you can make polls, lists with questions and ask them over and over again here, but you cannot force people to answer them.

And sorry again, but I think your signature about Palestine should not be here on AA. This is a forum about Atari's.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Living Room Arcade said:

Good replies.

@phoenixdownita, could you please correct the grammar mistakes in this sentence?  "Trying to reading the room here and “Trust us” is all we are going to get."  I just want to understand your meaning.  

I meant that outside us two, nobody else seems to care so likely we are making a mountain out of a molehill.

I vote with my wallet and nobody is forcing me to post here, so my freedom of choice is intact. 

I can suggest updates but ultimately it’s not up to me.

All I can say about ROMs, flashcarts, ODEs, ISOs, modchips, jailbreak, custom fw, modified BIOS etc.. is that none of it is tolerated on any official site or forum owned by Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft … I have to assume (my speculation here let’s make it 100% clear) the same stance would become the norm on AA too due to the obvious liability to Atari and in this sense “nothing changes” statements seem just not that believable to me (again my sole opinion).

Edited by phoenixdownita

4 minutes ago, Living Room Arcade said:

@phoenixdownita What do you think of my plan to make a list of questions for @Albert Mr. Albert and @TrogdarRobusto Mr. Dave?  Do you want to finish it?  

I said my piece, I am sure they heard it, up to them to decide if any change is appropriate.

You are doing the same, not sure my “approval” should matter in the least. 
Express your concerns, gather your suggestions, listen to the responses, silence counts too. If at any point you don’t like the goings or feel threatened just walk away.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'm removing #4 and #5 - those items were from Mr. Phoenix @phoenixdownita, and he left the group.  

UPDATE

Questions and Concerns for Mr. Albert and Mr. Dave, Especially Regarding the Privacy Policy

Spoiler
  1. Will there be some updates in the policy to reflect the ownership explicitly?
  2. Related follow up question: There are currently two Privacy Policy statements now, one here at AA and another one at Atari.com.  Will one eventually replace the other?  Will they eventually be merged into one Privacy Policy?  
  3. Will there be a marker for Atari employees?  Meaning, whenever an Atari employee posts anything here in the AA forums, will it say "Atari employee" under their avatars?

The reason that I'm doing this is because there was at least one person in the Atari Q&A thread who appeared to have sincere questions about the Privacy Policy.  Those questions deserve to be asked.  Basically, I'm offering to be like a helper for people with questions.  If anyone out there has any questions about the Privacy Policy, especially as a result of the Atari acquisition of Atari Age, post your comments here.  Together, we'll make a list of questions for @Albert Mr. Albert and @TrogdarRobusto Mr. Dave.  We'll be respectful and of course we won't use "force" as someone above had asked.   

Guys, what questions would you like us to ask the management about the Privacy Policy?  Post your comments, below!  

We are actually in the process of updating the TOS on Atari.com (they are a bit outdated) and there is no resistance to revisiting our privacy policy, it is actually on the corporate to do list because we want to bring all the new entities in line with each other (DE, DNS, MG, AA, etc). I just don't think it is going to happen in real time with this thread. That said, if the folks here can come up with one list of questions related the policy I am happy to pass those along to our legal team as part of the process. Sound good?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Fred_M said:

Sorry @Living Room Arcade you can make polls, lists with questions and ask them over and over again here, but you cannot force people to answer them.

And sorry again, but I think your signature about Palestine should not be here on AA. This is a forum about Atari's.

I cleaned up his signature and also the avatar, he won't be responding for at least 24 hours.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TrogdarRobusto said:

We are actually in the process of updating the TOS on Atari.com (they are a bit outdated) and there is no resistance to revisiting our privacy policy, it is actually on the corporate to do list because we want to bring all the new entities in line with each other (DE, DNS, MG, AA, etc). I just don't think it is going to happen in real time with this thread. That said, if the folks here can come up with one list of questions related the policy I am happy to pass those along to our legal team as part of the process. Sound good?

It sounds perfect!  Yes, please.  And thank you for your kind reply!    

On 6/5/2024 at 4:45 PM, TrogdarRobusto said:

There's a whole host of rules / requirements that you may be required to follow as a result of the merger between AA and Atari. With the GDPR, you have a certain number of requirements that apply to companies that have a certain number of employees, and depending upon whether or not commerce is included or not. It deals with the whole right to update, right to be forgotten, blah blah, as much as it applies to both the data controller and data processor for the data you're collecting and storing (if any of it is PI). I'd say that if you can meet the GDPR standards, then you'll also be in compliance with the CCPA, which already has higher standards than the other states' requirements.

If you can keep the entities separate (legally), you'll have fewer obligations. But I suspect you'll probably have to re-issue a user policy that we'll all have to re-accept as users of the system. There are simple things that we take for granted, like accepting the "cookie policy," I never remember accepting the use of cookies... which for Europe as it applies to the GDPR has much more significance. Example, the use of the system cannot hinge on whether or not you accept the use of cookies, but that you have an obligation to disable the use of cookies if not accepted. This even includes things like where the data goes that you collect, whom it goes to, etc., and even whether or not they're compliant. A great deal of it depends on whether or not any of this information is hosted IN Europe (for GDPR), such as if any servers are located there. But, Atari Age was originally US-based (out of Austin, TX), but now it's technically owned by a European-company. So... AA now has to follow European rules and regulations as well.

I apologize, I just binge-watched the last season of Cobra Kai and was drinking (a lot of) Coors Banquette while I was doing it... a bit too much. But your lawyers may not really able to answer this, you need someone who specializes in corporate and privacy policy (that's not me, not asking for a job). I have a law degree, but I don't practice it, and know like most of you who are computer programmers, it's like asking a programmer who writes software for medical companies what they think you should do if you're writing software for a nuclear power plant.

Definitely, definitely look into this. I know this weird guy Living Room whatever was bringing it up, but he's actually really got a point. I'd hate to see some Millennial ruin it for the rest of us old people. There has to be "injury" of course for someone to sue, but you also don't want to be fined by the EU for failure to abide by any new requirements you may have with the GDPR now that you're inextricably linked. Please look into it. I'll offer free legal advice (sans Coors) if you guys end up in trouble.