IGNORED

Food Fight - possible bad batch?

MantaNZ

Hey folks,

So I bought Food Fight for the 2600+ and it was DOA. Mighty Ape (basically New Zealand's Amazon) sent me a free replacement but that was DOA too. Has anyone else had issues with this game? The other two 7800 releases and all of the 2600 releases so far work fine on my console, so it surely can't be that?

Any help greatly appreciated as I was looking forward to playing this game the most...

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, MantaNZ said:

Hey folks,

So I bought Food Fight for the 2600+ and it was DOA. Mighty Ape (basically New Zealand's Amazon) sent me a free replacement but that was DOA too. Has anyone else had issues with this game? The other two 7800 releases and all of the 2600 releases so far work fine on my console, so it surely can't be that?

Any help greatly appreciated as I was looking forward to playing this game the most...

What version of firmware are you using? Do you have the latest Dumper installed? You should try installing 

Experimental 1.1x-r3 debug firmware. That way the developers can possibly see what the issue is.

Edited by MrChickenz

34 minutes ago, MrChickenz said:

What version of firmware are you using? Do you have the latest Dumper installed? You should try installing 

Experimental 1.1x-r3 debug firmware. That way the developers can possibly see what the issue is.

I updated it a couple of weeks back. I'll need to install Windows again as I use a Mac and I had formatted my PC so I could sell it, haha. I'm thinking I might keep it for stuff like this now...

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, infinite.pies said:

I bought Food Fight from Mighty Ape, and my cartridge is working.

I’ve got the latest firmware and dumper (experimental r3) installed.

Oh, good to know! I'll update the firmware now I have Windows back up and running again.

5 minutes ago, MantaNZ said:

Oh, good to know! I'll update the firmware now I have Windows back up and running again.

Which software version are you on?

If this doesn’t work on the original firmware, then it could be a big problem for Atari, and there could be a lot of returns.

If it does need updated firmware to work, then there really does need to be an urgent “official” firmware release, not just beta and “experimental” versions. To be honest, I find it odd that the update is still being labelled as “experimental”.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, infinite.pies said:

If this doesn’t work on the original firmware, then it could be a big problem for Atari, and there could be a lot of returns.

If it does need updated firmware to work, then there really does need to be an urgent “official” firmware release, not just beta and “experimental” versions. To be honest, I find it odd that the update is still being labelled as “experimental”.

It says v.1.1, Stella 6.7 when trying to load the game.

That sounds like one of the beta versions rather than the later experimental versions - but it can be confusing because the visible numbering wasn’t great with some of the earlier releases.

It would be interesting to know if it works on the original firmware. If not, Atari needs to be worried!

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, infinite.pies said:

That sounds like one of the beta versions rather than the later experimental versions - but it can be confusing because the visible numbering wasn’t great with some of the earlier releases.

It would be interesting to know if it works on the original firmware. If not, Atari needs to be worried!

It was the official firmware upgrade, not the 'experimental' one.

I have, however, just updated to r3 and Food Fight works! 

EDIT: You are right, it was the beta found here: 

Edited by MantaNZ
Updated info

8 hours ago, infinite.pies said:

That’s a lot assumptions based on one report.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MantaNZ said:

It was the official firmware upgrade, not the 'experimental' one.

I have, however, just updated to r3 and Food Fight works! 

So Rev 2 had issues with Food Fight and perhaps earlier updates and original firmware(just not tested yet).

New experimental firmware allows Food Fight to run.

Let's see if there are more reports as more customers get the new Food Fight.

You are one of the first to get the new Food Fight, so thanks for reporting on this. Appreciate it!

• Like 2

I've messed up.

I checked all the carts again on 1.0 (launch software) just now and Food Fight PAL doesnt work on launch 2600+. Everything else is fine.

I'll have to delay the release in Europe, send the carts back to the factory to be reflashed and repacked and send them out in a few weeks.

I'm sorry for this.
Edited by Ben from Plaion
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:
I've messed up.

I checked all the carts again on 1.0 (launch software) just now and Food Fight PAL doesnt work on launch 2600+. Everything else is fine.

I'll have to delay the release in Europe, send the carts back to the factory to be reflashed and repacked and send them out in a few weeks.

I'm sorry for this.

Hello Ben, 

so you are going to flash a PAL Rom which works on 1.0 or exchange them with NTSC Roms?

In my pic you see the 7800 PAL carts which failed on 1.0 ... well, Karateka too😅

20231229_111535.jpg

Edited by DEANJIMMY

2 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Hello Ben, 

so you are going to flash a PAL Rom which works on 1.0 or exchange them with NTSC Roms?

In my pic you see the 7800 PAL carts which failed on 1.0 ... well, Karateka too😅

20231229_111535.jpg

Flash it to a working PAL version.

But I need a few days to investigate.

Edited by Ben from Plaion
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Ben from Plaion said:
I've messed up.

I'm sorry for this.

Oh man, that sucks. At least it does work with the new firmware but I guess not everyone with a 2600+ visits Atariage... Sorry to be the bearer of bad news - would have been much better if I'd just had two faulty carts!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ben from Plaion said:
I've messed up.

I'm sorry for this.

It's practically impossible to get every last component absolutely perfect on a complex project like this, and you're doing an amazing job overall. We all appreciate the sweat you're putting into this. 

Also, some of us in Aus/NZ now have the rare and collectible "first 2024 PAL release" of Food Fight. 😉

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, infinite.pies said:

It's practically impossible to get every last component absolutely perfect on a complex project like this, and you're doing an amazing job overall. We all appreciate the sweat you're putting into this. 

Also, some of us in Aus/NZ now have the rare and collectible "first 2024 PAL release" of Food Fight. 😉

I second this! Incredible job!

Two copies in my case! Don't tell Mighty Ape :P

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, infinite.pies said:

Also, silver lining - luckily it was caught before the European release - much bigger market than over here. I didn't realise we bottom earthers got it first :D

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Flash it to a working PAL version.

But I need a few days to investigate.

Since technically there is nothing wrong with the carts and the console just needs a firmware upgrade could you just let retailers know to add a note to the game sales page? There were games on the Evercade that required newer firmware and it wasn't an issue. Or do you think there will just be too many folk out there not interested in going through an upgrade process? Seems a shame to do a recall when people can just update their systems. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:
I've messed up.

I'm sorry for this.

Mistakes happen.   Just stay positive and grow from this experience.   I would imagine most reasonable people who see your message will be understanding.   

It’s good the mistake was caught now rather than later!

• Like 3

Hi @Ben from Plaion

Sorry to hear that there is an issue. You have done an amazing job so far, this is a minor blip.

It seems like maybe a note could be sent with every cart that you must update the console to use it, that would be cheaper.

The cart isn't actually at fault here by the sound of it, just that you can make an alternative copy that does work on 1.0 firmware. People have to update at some point, I say send out a note stating that you must update and if you don't want to then you can return the cart, surely that would be cheaper? Less units returned.

Get Atari to put in on the fornt page of their website and also added to the Amazon listing.

EDIT: Also Atari socials, Plaion Socials (I assume there are some, I have not been on them) Plaion website. Here on Atari Age as a pinned post in the 2600+ and 7800 forums.

For those of us who have updated our consoles it will work anyway and those buying it for original hardware will also be able to play, so it's not an issue that effects everyone.

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Hi @Ben from Plaion

Sorry to hear that there is an issue. You have done an amazing job so far, this is a minor blip.

It seems like maybe a note could be sent with every cart that you must update the console to use it, that would be cheaper.

The cart isn't actually at fault here by the sound of it, just that you can make an alternative copy that does work on 1.0 firmware. People have to update at some point, I say send out a note stating that you must update and if you don't want to then you can return the cart, surely that would be cheaper? Less units returned.

Get Atari to put in on the fornt page of their website and also added to the Amazon listing.

For those of us who have updated our consoles it will work anyway and those buying it for original hardware will also be able to play, so it's not an issue that effects everyone.

I dont beleive its right to send the carts to market if they dont work natively on a launch unit without providing a straight forward way of updating. I know we have a method of updating which fixes the issue, but it isnt a streamlined easy process currently and additionally there is no documentation in the box offering up details of how to do such an update. Better to pull it, think of a way to resolve the issue and release it at a later date.

• Like 3

How about you pull the release entirely and store them until the new firmware is in more consoles and is more known? Yeah there will be consoles out there on 1.0, but that number will get smaller and smaller as consoles will have been updated at home and new units sold will include newer firmware, didn't you say you are already shipping some with newer firmware anyway?.

Word of mouth should spread the fact that there is an update available, if it is put on socials and websites, store fronts, email newsletters and the biggy, YouTubers featuring it. Get Gen X Grown Up, Immortal John, Metal Jesus and the others who you sent a press console out to to do firmware & Fast Food video. Hold onto the carts for long enough and the video could be a general V2.0 official update video where it states all the improvements and that it is also required for Food Fight.

They could then be shipped back out with a note added that you must update, and by that time the update process may have developed into a more streamlined method.

I guess the worst part of this idea is that it costs money to store them, but surely less than shipping them back, fixing, repackaging and shipping again.

Also I do recognise that it goes against your thoughts that you don’t want someone to own a console on 1.0 and not be able to play a newly released game on it.

Edited by JetmanUK

If the above was done, more general thougths on it:

This is a toy for Gen X adults, I can't imagine that a seven year old got a Plus last Christmas day and that it's sat on 1.0 firmware. The game is out around now (or was due to be), so no kids Christmas was runined. Firmware will be out there and included in newly the manufactured consoles by the next Christmas. No loss.

Techy adults or at least adults own the Plus, they can be reached out to as noted above. There will always be whiners, some whine now.. they probably always will.

• Like 2