IGNORED

Champ Games??

MarcinJ

I played the demo of Lady Bug Arcade from Champ Games today. This is a fantastic port and I had a lot of fun with it. Do you think there is any chance that it will be possible to properly dump and play the Champ Games on the Atari 2600+? If not, have you tried playing Champ Games roms on Gamestation Pro? 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, MarcinJ said:

I played the demo of Lady Bug Arcade from Champ Games today. This is a fantastic port and I had a lot of fun with it. Do you think there is any chance that it will be possible to properly dump and play the Champ Games on the Atari 2600+? If not, have you tried playing Champ Games roms on Gamestation Pro? 

The Devs for 2600+ are actively looking at this. From what I understand it is technically feasible, but they need to work through the dumping process. But it is definitely on their radar. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, MarcinJ said:

have you tried playing Champ Games roms on Gamestation Pro?

I have briefly tried them.  I seem to remember all but the four most recent worked (Qyx, Gorf Arcade, Elevator Agent, Turbo Arcade).  IF you are using the custom 1.3 firmware and setting the options to use stella and not the RA stella2014 core. (Setting the game_type to 15 instead of 5)

Edited by TheRingBearer
added info

I own eight of their games, all ROM purchases. I hope they will work via the Harmony cart soon. In the meantime I play via my S-Video modded light sixer. Even then Elevator Agent doesn't work, I have to play that on Stella on my laptop, so the world is still complicated outside of the 2600 Plus too. 

• Like 4

23 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

I own eight of their games, all ROM purchases. I hope they will work via the Harmony cart soon. In the meantime I play via my S-Video modded light sixer. Even then Elevator Agent doesn't work, I have to play that on Stella on my laptop, so the world is still complicated outside of the 2600 Plus too. 

Really - I have Elevator Agent and it plays fine on a PAL RGB Vader and a PAL RGB Jnr...

sTeVE

4 minutes ago, Jetboot Jack said:

Really - I have Elevator Agent and it plays fine on a PAL RGB Vader and a PAL RGB Jnr...

Sounds like you have the physical cart (which has the beefier ARM processor capable of playing Elevator Agent and Turbo Arcade) and he has the ROMs (Elevator Agent and Turbo Arcade won't run, as currently offered, on the less beefy ARM processor of the Harmony / Encore with a limitation of no more than 32K of ARM code).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wavemotion said:

Sounds like you have the physical cart (which has the beefier ARM processor capable of playing Elevator Agent and Turbo Arcade) and he has the ROMs (Elevator Agent and Turbo Arcade won't run, as currently offered, on the less beefy ARM processor of the Harmony / Encore with a limitation of no more than 32K of ARM code).

👍

For Champ Games, this is how the titles breakdown, respecting required support that needs to be in place:

Standard 4K:
-Avalanche

16K F6:
-Lady Bug (Non-"Arcade" release)
-Conquest of Mars

The remaining Champ Games releases require ARM support...

32K Melody Enhanced DPC+:
-Scramble

32K Melody Enhanced CDF:
-Super Cobra Arcade

32K Melody Enhanced CDFJ:
-Mappy
-Wizard of Wor
-Galagon
-Zoo Keeper
-Lady Bug Arcade
-RobotWar 2684

32K Melody Enhanced CDFJ+:
-Gorf
-Qyx

64K Melody Enhanced CDFJ+:
-Elevator Agent

128K Melody Enhanced CDFJ+:
-Turbo Arcade

CDFJ+ can be delivered in the following configurations, some listed above, along with the associated game title:

32K ROM & 8K RAM
64K ROM & 16K RAM
128K ROM & 16K RAM
256K ROM & 32K RAM
512K ROM & 32K RAM

From a hardware perspective, the 32K ROM & 8K RAM, CDFJ+ configuration, is compatible with the 48-Pin LPC210X Family which is also included with the Harmony Encore.  The other larger sized CDFJ+ configurations require newer hardware based on the 64-Pin LPC213X Family.

As a result, there is no multi-cart currently that supports Elevator Agent and Turbo Arcade.  For the Harmony Encore, a hardware expansion would be required for those titles to possibly work.

Stella and Gopher2600 are emulator options for all Champ Games.   There may be a chance for the games Elevator Agent and Turbo Arcade to work under the 2600+ someday. 

Currently working with the latest firmware under 2600+ (1.1x r3 as of this post), falls under typical original/common hardware configurations (Standard 4k and F6 bankswitching), or in the case of Scramble (DPC+) is very similar to Pitfall II configuration (DPC).  DPC supports two 4K banks and 2K of Display Data.  DPC+ supports six 4K banks and 4K of Display Data, plus some new features such as "Fast Fetcher" mode.

CDF would be the next more challenging configuration to support, followed by CDFJ, which would bring more than half of the Champ Games to a working state.  CDFJ+, of course, is the most challenging to adapt for the 2600+.

The right people are in place, if feasible at all, for the above to happen.  Fingers crossed, but meanwhile enjoy the 98% compatibility the 2600+ already brings to the table, and the 99.5% compatibility of the Harmony Encore, for the entire line up of Atari 2600 software.  We have some amazing gurus that never cease to amaze me with their labors of love.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, wavemotion said:

Indeed I have a physical cart for both those games (and the otero Champ titles too) and the Rom files for use in Stella - I did not read @JetmanUK's post well enough, my bad...

sTeVE

4 hours ago, Trebor said:

👍

For Champ Games, this is how the titles breakdown, respecting required support that needs to be in place:

Standard 4K:
-Avalanche

16K F6:
-Lady Bug (Non-"Arcade" release)
-Conquest of Mars

The remaining Champ Games releases require ARM support...

32K Melody Enhanced DPC+:
-Scramble

32K Melody Enhanced CDF:
-Super Cobra Arcade

32K Melody Enhanced CDFJ:
-Mappy
-Wizard of Wor
-Galagon
-Zoo Keeper
-Lady Bug Arcade
-RobotWar 2684

32K Melody Enhanced CDFJ+:
-Gorf
-Qyx

64K Melody Enhanced CDFJ+:
-Elevator Agent

128K Melody Enhanced CDFJ+:
-Turbo Arcade

As listed with the above respective titles, CDFJ+ can be delivered in the following configurations:

32K ROM & 8K RAM
64K ROM & 16K RAM
128K ROM & 16K RAM
256K ROM & 32K RAM
512K ROM & 32K RAM

From a hardware perspective, the 32K ROM & 8K RAM, CDFJ+ configuration, is compatible with the 48-Pin LPC210X Family which is also included with the Harmony Encore.  The other larger sized CDFJ+ configurations require newer hardware based on the 64-Pin LPC213X Family.

As a result, there is no multi-cart currently that supports Elevator Agent and Turbo Arcade.  For the Harmony Encore, a hardware expansion would be required for those titles to possibly work.

Stella and Gopher2600 are emulator options for all Champ Games.   There may be a chance for the games Elevator Agent and Turbo Arcade to work under the 2600+ someday. 

Currently working with the latest firmware under 2600+ (1.1x r3 as of this post), falls under typical original/common hardware configurations (Standard 4k and F6 bankswitching), or in the case of Scramble (DPC+) is very similar to Pitfall II configuration (DPC).  DPC supports two 4K banks and 2K of Display Data.  DPC+ supports six 4K banks and 4K of Display Data, plus some new features such as "Fast Fetcher" mode.

CDF would be the next more challenging configuration to support, followed by CDFJ, which would bring more than half of the Champ Games to a working state.  CDFJ+, of course, is the most challenging to adapt for the 2600+.

The right people are in place, if feasible at all, for the above to happen.  Fingers crossed, but meanwhile enjoy the 98% compatibility the 2600+ already brings to the table, and the 99.5% compatibility of the Harmony Encore, for the entire line up of Atari 2600 software.  We have some amazing gurus that never cease to amaze me with their labors of love.

Recognizing that the Concerto is for the 7800, rather than the 2600, would the hardware limitation vis-a-vis the ARM processor be any less of an issue for the Concerto (recognizing that it's only currently supported for the 2600+ via the Harmony Development software, at present)? Or would this be too much apples and oranges in any event?

(A moot point, I understand, if I bought the physical cartridges, many of which don't even work with the 2600+'s own emulation just yet)

Edited by NicodemusLegend

43 minutes ago, NicodemusLegend said:

Recognizing that the Concerto is for the 7800, rather than the 2600, would the hardware limitation vis-a-vis the ARM processor be any less of an issue for the Concerto (recognizing that it's only currently supported for the 2600+ via the Harmony Development software, at present)? Or would this be too much apples and oranges in any event?

(A moot point, I understand, if I bought the physical cartridges, many of which don't even work with the 2600+'s own emulation just yet)

Concerto needs Enhancement Module #2.

The CEM #2 is being designed with the goal of 100% compatibility with currently released Atari 7800 and Atari 2600 legacy and homebrew games, as of this writing. No other device in existence, either current or forthcoming, can do that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wavemotion said:

Exactly this. I only have the ROMs and the Harmony Encore, I don't own any carts. 

I'm hoping that the Harmony expansion unit will come soon and sort out any compatibility issues, at least on OG hardware. 

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 1

On 6/15/2024 at 5:48 PM, Billiesan said:

The latest firmware and dumper for the 2600+ got scramble from champ games working! Its fantastic! I really hope they get all the melody board stuff working, i am ready to buy a ton of homebrews. 

I just bought Scramble from Champ Games!

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, MarcinJ said:

Well, I would love to have it, but there is no way you can buy it  now. At least not in Europe.  

I bought one a few months ago on eBay, so it is still possible to obtain, but it's pricey. Pretty solid version tho. except the weird scrolling on the sides. But I try to ignore it. Since it's the first game in the Gradius series, having access to it was a must for me. 

Edited by tradyblix