IGNORED

Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom

New Zelda game actually starring as the heroine, Zelda! Now she has to save Hyrule and a lost Link.  Done in a similar style to the "Link's Awakening" remake.

The big ability/gimmick is the ability to create "echoes" (clones) of various objects and creatures to solve environmental puzzles and/or do combat (throw an echo or pull a clone war with echoes of the baddies you've encountered).

As folks have mentioned in the video comments, maybe this should be called "Legend of Link"?

Looking forward to this.

I don't know about anyone else, but it reminds me a bit of what Captain Toad was to Super Mario Bros. Yet instead of not being able to jump, this time there's no sword.

I just hope that the weird game performance issues of Link's Awakening HD don't strike again. While it didn't drag the game down for me, the frequent frame rate issues regularly were reminding me that the game ran much unlike your typical Nintendo release.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

On 6/19/2024 at 10:05 PM, Atariboy said:

Looking forward to this.

I don't know about anyone else, but it reminds me a bit of what Captain Toad was to Super Mario Bros. Yet instead of not being able to jump, this time there's no sword.

I just hope that the weird game performance issues of Link's Awakening HD don't strike again. While it didn't drag the game down for me, the frequent frame rate issues regularly were reminding me that the game ran much unlike your typical Nintendo release.

By your post, I'm guessing Nintendo probably didn't release a patch to fix that performance issue, correct?

1 hour ago, Gamemoose said:

By your post, I'm guessing Nintendo probably didn't release a patch to fix that performance issue, correct?

Yeah, they never did. I played though it about three years after the game's 2019 release and performance was quite poor at that time.

So I'm sure that they haven't fixed it since then.

The swamp area? Yeah, that seemed to be a major trigger for frame rate drops.

It really didn't bother me, either. I thoroughly enjoyed the remake, but at the same time I don't like being regularly reminded of technical blemishes. Even though I brushed them off and didn't let the issue drag the game down for me, I was noticing it regularly.

That and the forced analog stick controls were both head scratchers (easily fixed on my 8BitDo Pro 2, with me playing the entire game with the d-pad for movement). Hopefully neither one reappears here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Atariboy said:

That and the forced analog stick controls were both head scratchers

Yes, I hate that as well, but it's unfortunately very common in Nintendo's "big" games, like Metroid Dread for instance, even if it features a 2D gameplay as well. And it's pretty certain it will be the same for that Echoes of Wisdom, since you can already see on screenshots that the d-pad will be used to choose items.

On 6/23/2024 at 6:07 AM, roots.genoa said:

Yes, I hate that as well, but it's unfortunately very common in Nintendo's "big" games, like Metroid Dread for instance, even if it features a 2D gameplay as well. And it's pretty certain it will be the same for that Echoes of Wisdom, since you can already see on screenshots that the d-pad will be used to choose items.

I wish they would bring back the gamepad controls.

• 1 month later...
On 6/23/2024 at 5:15 AM, Atariboy said:

The swamp area? Yeah, that seemed to be a major trigger for frame rate drops.

It really didn't bother me, either. I thoroughly enjoyed the remake, but at the same time I don't like being regularly reminded of technical blemishes. Even though I brushed them off and didn't let the issue drag the game down for me, I was noticing it regularly.

That and the forced analog stick controls were both head scratchers (easily fixed on my 8BitDo Pro 2, with me playing the entire game with the d-pad for movement). Hopefully neither one reappears here.

I just don't understand how they can program a game like Mario Odyssey which, from my memory, didn't have any frame drops. But having difficult with Zelda

5 hours ago, Orange_Kiwi said:

there still seems to be some blurring at the top and bottom of the screen. It was like that in Links Awakening.

That is effect is called Tilt-Shift and it's done on purpose to make it look like a miniature model. Most people find it cute actually.

5 hours ago, Orange_Kiwi said:

I just don't understand how they can program a game like Mario Odyssey which, from my memory, didn't have any frame drops. But having difficult with Zelda

For starters these games were not made by the same people.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

That is effect is called Tilt-Shift and it's done on purpose to make it look like a miniature model. Most people find it cute actually.

For starters these games were not made by the same people.

Tilt-Shift effect is unused in dungeon and inside house, if it was done on purpose to make it look like miniature, why isn't everywhere in the game? The thing is, even if done on purpose for XYZ reasons, if this not directly linked to code optimization or memory limitation. Why not put an option to remove it?

The fact the game was maybe done by another team (I didn't check) is an explanation and not an excuse for an non-optimized game. When I'm paying 90 CAD$ with taxes for a game. I like it when it is working properly on a console I purschased it for.

I'm myself a fan of Nintendo and Zelda series, but when you paying prime money for something with your hard earned money, it is nice if it works flawlessly.

However, everybody can have it's own opinion. Peace :)

7 hours ago, Orange_Kiwi said:

Tilt-Shift effect is unused in dungeon and inside house, if it was done on purpose to make it look like miniature, why isn't everywhere in the game?

To be fair, even in movies, that effect is always done outdoors, first because it usually requires the camera to be very far (farther than in the game to be honest), to make it look like a small model. And it's necessarily more effective outdoors because you have sunlight so the depth of field is supposed to be very big; nothing is supposed to be blurry outdoors (except with a very long focal) so, when it is, it creates an effect. Indoors it wouldn't be as noticeable since the lesser lighting makes the depth of field very small... This is just how photography works, that's all.

Now sure you could have an option to remove it but, usually, effects that are linked to the art style aren't removable since it's part of the game's look. It would be like asking for an option to remove cel shading in The Wind Waker, to exaggerate a little.

7 hours ago, Orange_Kiwi said:

I like it when it is working properly on a console I purschased it for.

And the game works properly imho. A few framerate drops don't prevent you from playing. If there was excessive input lag or atrocious load times, now it would be a problem.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

To be fair, even in movies, that effect is always done outdoors, first because it usually requires the camera to be very far (farther than in the game to be honest), to make it look like a small model. And it's necessarily more effective outdoors because you have sunlight so the depth of field is supposed to be very big; nothing is supposed to be blurry outdoors (except with a very long focal) so, when it is, it creates an effect. Indoors it wouldn't be as noticeable since the lesser lighting makes the depth of field very small... This is just how photography works, that's all.

Now sure you could have an option to remove it but, usually, effects that are linked to the art style aren't removable since it's part of the game's look. It would be like asking for an option to remove cel shading in The Wind Waker, to exaggerate a little.

And the game works properly imho. A few framerate drops don't prevent you from playing. If there was excessive input lag or atrocious load times, now it would be a problem.

For the blurr effect, I can deal with it, even if I believe it should be an option to remove it, even if it doesn't really affect gameplay. That effect is maybe popular and appreciated for some people, but for others it isn't the case. Take a moment to search on google "zelda blurr reddit" and you will see a lot of people didn't like it. They even did mod for it.

For the frame drop, in your case it seems it don't bother you, but in my case it bothers me. I see it as if my car was going 100 km/h and for no reason slowed down at 80 km/h then goes back to 100 km/h. Again, I honnestly think the code is not optimized. When I was a programmer before working as an electronic engineer, I saw the difference between optimized code VS non-optimized one. I can't be 100% sure, because I wasn't there programming that game and probably, you weren't there either. We will probably never know the true behind those frame drops.

Beside thoses two precedents points, the game was really fun to enjoy and remind me when I was playing it on my game boy color :) I'm a really excitted to play Echoes of Wisdom ! First time, we will be able to play as Zelda !

Again, it is an opinion and a different way to see things.

8 hours ago, Orange_Kiwi said:

Take a moment to search on google "zelda blurr reddit" and you will see a lot of people didn't like it. They even did mod for it.

I'm not surprised. A lot of people didn't like The Wind Waker's cel shading either. Most people have shitty taste. 🙂

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2024 at 3:10 AM, roots.genoa said:

It didn't bother me to be honest, except maybe in ONE spot next to the water section. Iirc it happened when you left a cave, for a few seconds.

Not only did it not bother me, but I didn't even notice it. I didn't find out until after I beat it by reading about it online.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...