IGNORED

2600+ "other capabilities"

Zonie

On 7/3/2024 at 4:29 AM, Ben from Plaion said:

To me though these discussions are pipedreams anyway as we still havent got every single 2600/7800 game compatible and accessory support is still lacking, and this is after 8 months. Then there is the hold on, lets step back and think, just because we can do this, should we? At the moment my personal view would be for the 2600+ to concentrate on purely 2600 and 7800 games, get the firmware upto scratch and then release legacy, ports and new games strictly within the 2600/7800 spec.

i think everybody has said this before in response to this

but it bears being on the record

Yes, and frankly the most we'd actually really want to see realistically is

"Ooooh this, 7800 demake of Dark Souls has stereo YM sound on the 2600+ instead of mono" or whatever the case would be, i think everybody would prefer if the games worked the same on the old systems along with the new systems, but i dont think any kind of like, barely noticeable or completely "definitive improvements" over playing it on an OG atari system.

Even if i'm young and i'd think it would be nice to have cartridge games on an atari system that are a bit more like the stuff i'd play on PC or Switch or something more familiar like that, i bought the system expecting 2600 and 7800 stuff, and i'd much rather see developers push hardware limits with demakes of the kinds of modern games i'd not expect to see on an Atari or Completely new concepts or ports of titles that would provide a fresh experience i never had with the hardware or even visit the kinds of games that never saw the light of day on the systems, but could be enhanced with modern tools and retrospective programming tricks to be better than ever.

Theres a lot of games that have been unreleased or never ported to 2600/7800 that would make AMAZING editions to the already great libraries of these systems, let alone newer ones from past the 20th century! Make those run for the new and old systems and you'll have a home run!

On 8/12/2024 at 2:30 PM, Ben from Plaion said:

Nearly forget about work until some prick walked past me earlier with an Atari T-shirt on!

Apparently there are more of those in the wild. I’ve spotted one in the deep countryside in Poland. 🙂

IMG_3228.thumb.jpeg.92e63a99c37f64fa8221fc8505fcb597.jpeg

• Haha 3

46 minutes ago, MarcinJ said:

Apparently there are more of those in the wild. I’ve spotted one in the deep countryside in Poland. 🙂

IMG_3228.thumb.jpeg.92e63a99c37f64fa8221fc8505fcb597.jpeg

Plot twist, this guy is an Atari Age user and sees himself on here... being referred to as another prick. 🤣

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Plot twist, this guy is an Atari Age user and sees himself on here... being referred to as another prick. 🤣

Actually Atari was quite popular in Poland in 80s as it was almost only brand available, mostly 130XE. It may well be that the guy actually knows Atari computers quite well. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MarcinJ said:

Actually Atari was quite popular in Poland in 80s as it was almost only brand available, mostly 130XE. It may well be that the guy actually knows Atari computers quite well. 

That seems to explain why there are Poles here and some them work on made hardware various systems.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, MarcinJ said:

In the 80s, I started with the 600XL, then moved up to the 800XL and modded it with 256k.  Did all of my programming in BasicXE and TurboBasic and ran a small Atari BBS using Carina BBS software in Florida for a few years.  Sigh, I miss my atari computers.  🙂

• Like 3

5 hours ago, TheRingBearer said:

In the 80s, I started with the 600XL, then moved up to the 800XL and modded it with 256k.  Did all of my programming in BasicXE and TurboBasic and ran a small Atari BBS using Carina BBS software in Florida for a few years.  Sigh, I miss my atari computers.  🙂

Atari 800XL was my first computer as well! Unless you count the Intellivision Keyboard I purchased 45 minutes before that.

I found a Intellivision Keyboard that hooked to the Intellivision it was marked down to $15.00. I remember it like it was yesterday.

I got home hooked it up to see what it could do. I remember messing around with sprites from a game cartridge, typing in my name

and 45 minutes later I was back at the store and purchased an Atari 800XL! lol. Jumbo Jet Pilot was one of the first games I played.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I think this is a new meme, anyone who posts a photo with a random wearing a Atari t-shirt in public gets a blue button controller.

I will reverse Google image search any entries! Disqualified if found!

Starting from me? :)

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I think this is a new meme, anyone who posts a photo with a random wearing a Atari t-shirt in public gets a blue button controller.

That task in my surroundings isn't hard to fulfill, here is someone wearing a very special Atari shirt, and no it's not me.  No need to send me a controller though.

IMG_7653.jpg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

why did you have to do this in the summer?

why not janurary? Because i really dont wanna end up on the news for a blue button controller....

but i might... i might go out and get boiled to find someone with it...

if not i will post my obituary from beyond the grave and you can send it to the spirit realm.

16 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

This one is a little older, but it still counts, doesn't it? :)

I'm the second from the left.

image.thumb.jpeg.bcb0ba1b6436c1e0247d79cb7b1b2ff7.jpeg

• Like 5

On 8/15/2024 at 3:45 PM, Ben from Plaion said:

My face realizing I backed the wrong horse years ago 

IMG_5412.thumb.jpeg.9bf442dc252c7531dfa3cfe901f4310e.jpeg

• Haha 7

On 8/15/2024 at 11:45 PM, Ben from Plaion said:

I only just spotted this comment. Is this offer open to those who have already won one? If so I am gonna go hunting!

(I have two Atari shirts, so I could cheat and get a mate to wear one, but that wouldn't be in the spirit of the competition.

16 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

Get out! Someone please get this man a 2600+ and a copy of Star Trek.

IMG_5753.jpeg

Oh damn i should've taken a picture of shatner on my laptop with my phone instead! Awwwww man my scheme is soooooo over...