IGNORED

The Official ZX Spectrum Thread I guess

55 minutes ago, Hwlngmad said:

Well, a recently interviewed Amstrad worker done on The Retro Hour would claim the opposite.  But, I understand what you are driving at as Amstrad used the brand in order to help prop up their own.  Also, I will say the 128k 'Toastrack' is a cool looking computer and (very arguably) the best looking Speccy.

Yes I agree. The only downside is the keyboard in my opinion. It's fairly easy to replace the membrane thou.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/10/2024 at 3:16 PM, roots.genoa said:

Call me crazy but I have a soft spot for ZX Spectrum's graphics and even sound (yes, you read that correctly). I bought the Recreated ZX Spectrum Bluetooth keyboard and the Vega, but several games didn't work on the latter unfortunately. I also backed the Vega+ which is still very sore as you can imagine... I would love a ZX Spectrum handheld, and I hope there will be ZX Spectrum Evercade carts eventually.

Ask and thou shall receive: https://zx-touch.com/

On 8/10/2024 at 3:56 PM, wongojack said:

I'm an American who has grown to appreciate the Spectrum.  When revisiting an old series, I often want to see the Speccy version(s) to figure out what the developers chose to do.  Sometimes it is terrible and sometimes it is truly amazing.  I recently played the Speccy version of Ghostbusters for comparison:  https://forums.atariage.com/topic/358971-games-beaten-in-2024/?do=findComment&comment=5513015

Me too.  I have grown to appreciate the Spectrum via Our Sinclair: A ZX Spectrum Podcast on YouTube.  Definitely some of games done for the system look truly amazing and awesome.  Hopefully more mainstream and easier ways to play the titles come out in time to come.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Oh I know about that but it's a bit too expensive and ugly to my taste.

Yeah, definitely hopefully something a bit less expensive and more intuitive to use comes out.  Don't know if that will necessarily happen, but it is possible.

I went to that site and looked around for like a minute.  A portable classic computer is always a bit of a non-starter to me.  Mostly because these things are intended to have a keyboard, and once you remove the keyboard then a bunch of compromises pop in.  Also, because there are so many emulation devices already "out there" surely one of them has Spectrum emulators already right.  Go for the combo.

My take has generally been that I already own a laptop - many in fact that can emulate every classic computer ever made.  Old laptop is a better replacement for a classic computer than any dedicated device I have ever seen (although a bit less portable).

• Like 1

I'm always on a lookout for a portable solution for microcomputers but, deary me, that ZX Touch is rather pricey at 230 GBP. The on-screen touch keyboard could be a good soloution but it doesn't seem implemented too well, at least in this review: https://www.timeextension.com/news/2024/03/zx-touch-is-a-p220-portable-zx-spectrum-with-a-7-inch-screen

Here's an alternative: get one of the  Nintendo DS variants (I prefer DS Lite), a flashcard, and use the brilliant ZXDS emulator: http://zxds.raxoft.cz/

• Like 2

On 8/21/2024 at 5:48 PM, Hwlngmad said:

For those Speccy fans here in the States (and abroad), here is a video that shows off a ZX Spectrum Next clone, though it is housed in a custom case that is different than what one can order now.

TBH the ZX spectrum Next does interest me, as it will play original spectrum games also. If only it wasn't so expensive

• Like 2

3 hours ago, carlsson said:

Today, Retro Games Limited announced they will release a ZX Spectrum console next. I didn't check price point or specs but probably less than the other solutions.

Well, that's interesting since they made the ZX Vega (and left just when the Vega+ started crowdfunding 😑)... I didn't use the Vega very much tbh, because it looked awkward to me, games wouldn't work if they didn't use the right format, and you had to connect it through RCA. 😬 I'd prefer a handheld, but if they can recreate the look of the ZX Spectrum (like the one Elite released just before the Vega, but it was just a Bluetooth keyboard), it could be nice. And since it was a small computer they can release a "Maxi" version directly.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

Well, that's interesting since they made the ZX Vega (and left just when the Vega+ started crowdfunding 😑)... I didn't use the Vega very much tbh, because it looked awkward to me, games wouldn't work if they didn't use the right format, and you had to connect it through RCA. 😬 I'd prefer a handheld, but if they can recreate the look of the ZX Spectrum (like the one Elite released just before the Vega, but it was just a Bluetooth keyboard), it could be nice. And since it was a small computer they can release a "Maxi" version directly.

I just caught wind of this and I am a bit skeptical. According to someone who translated a Spanish article about it, it's gonna cost 99.99 euros for its initial price. I hope it'll get cheaper as time rolls on. Fingers crossed that they either use a decent emulator for it...at the very least.

I also heard that it will not be a Mini this time, as it will have a fully-working keyboard.

44 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

they made the ZX Vega

Wasn't the company Retro Computers Limited (RCL) of which some left and formed RGL as a separate entity? I don't remember who did what but I also thought about the semi-relation to the two Vega consoles.

Online leaks suggest it's 100 Euros, includes 48 games, and is full size with a working keyboard. Sounds like a winner to me.

I guess this totally kills the prospect of any future Spectrum Next kickstarter, as they just won't be able to compete with Retro Games.

1MC2-X288533736-fullhd_w1920_h1080_q75-thespectrum-portada-1724334160.thumb.webp.a5c346a98a96633e2f12d06eefc00923.webp

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, infinite.pies said:

Online leaks suggest it's 100 Euros, includes 48 games, and is full size with a working keyboard. Sounds like a winner to me.

I guess this totally kills the prospect of any future Spectrum Next kickstarter, as they just won't be able to compete with Retro Games.

1MC2-X288533736-fullhd_w1920_h1080_q75-thespectrum-portada-1724334160.thumb.webp.a5c346a98a96633e2f12d06eefc00923.webp

I mean...the Spectrum Next is a higher-end, more modern 128k that is more customizable than...well...this. The Spectrum will probably like the C64 in terms of architecture: a Rockchip board running an emulator.

1 hour ago, r_chase said:

I mean...the Spectrum Next is a higher-end, more modern 128k that is more customizable than...well...this. The Spectrum will probably like the C64 in terms of architecture: a Rockchip board running an emulator.

Yes, absolutely. I would guess that the Spectrum internals will be very similar to the C64 (and the 400 Mini, and the Amiga Mini, and the upcoming Amiga Maxi), but with different emulation software and a new case & keyboard.

The Next is for techies and geeks, whereas the Retro Games Spectrum will satisfy the broader and much larger casual nostalgia market (at a third of the price).

The geek market was largely covered by the 2 Next kickstarters, and now the N-GO and Xberry Pi. I doubt there will ever be enough market left for a Next kickstarter 3 to be successful.

3 hours ago, infinite.pies said:

The geek market was largely covered by the 2 Next kickstarters, and now the N-GO and Xberry Pi. I doubt there will ever be enough market left for a Next kickstarter 3 to be successful.

I'm pretty sure they would still do very well. The demand is still very high. Just look at the scalping prices on ebay.

People don't buy these things only because they need something to play games on. You can do it already on any ol' PC or RPi. So, they all have unique selling points and the retro market is still big enough to accomodate new entries.

2 hours ago, infinite.pies said:

It’s due to be officially announced on Tuesday, but it does look good. If I didn’t already have a N-Go in the same type of keyboard, I’d be buying this.

image.jpeg

image.png

Fingers crossed that they'll distribute it to the US on Amazon. 🤞

I typed out the game list here if anyone is interested: https://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/2024/08/24/the-spectrum-game-list/

It's an objectively killer game list, but I just don't see the platform appealing to the same US consumers as their previous platforms. It will no doubt do well in Europe, though. Of course, I'm very much looking forward to it even though I have quite a bit of Spectrum-related stuff already, including an original Next.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

I typed out the game list here if anyone is interested: https://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/2024/08/24/the-spectrum-game-list/

It's an objectively killer game list, but I just don't see the platform appealing to the same US consumers as their previous platforms. It will no doubt do well in Europe, though. Of course, I'm very much looking forward to it even though I have quite a bit of Spectrum-related stuff already, including an original Next.

Quite killer indeed, especially when it includes the homebrew game "Alien Girl". Admittedly, I kinda only know Manic Miner,  but I heard that Monty game is good.

12 minutes ago, r_chase said:

Quite killer indeed, especially when it includes the homebrew game "Alien Girl". Admittedly, I kinda only know Manic Miner,  but I heard that Monty game is good.

Again, I would never expect a person new to the platform to have much interest in it. It's quirky as heck, even in comparison to many contemporary platforms. If you can get into the many isometric action adventures included (Head Over Heels, The Great Escape, etc.), they're arguably best on the ZX Spectrum. 

I personally consider Manic Miner and its inspiration, Miner 2049er, highly overrated (even back in the day for the latter).

9 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

Again, I would never expect a person new to the platform to have much interest in it. It's quirky as heck, even in comparison to many contemporary platforms. If you can get into the many isometric action adventures included (Head Over Heels, The Great Escape, etc.), they're arguably best on the ZX Spectrum. 

I personally consider Manic Miner and its inspiration, Miner 2049er, highly overrated (even back in the day for the latter).

Yeah, I would've liked Jet Set Willy better, but I still see why Manic Miner is considered one of the killer apps for the Speccy.