IGNORED

CX78+ in stock and for sale anywhere?

ArgonV

Howdy all, new 2600+ user here since April! I’m having a blast with this. I finally was able to pick up a second CX40+ controller for 2-player with my wife, the CX30+ paddles and game combo set, extension cables (sitting so close in-front of a 65” TV is neck cramp inducing) and the new 7800 game carts - but cannot seem to find the CX78+ controllers anywhere in stock in the U.S. Is there another source I’m missing? Tried the Atari site of course (which said they are available under the “Availability” description), Amazon, local GameStop and BestBuy stores as well as their online stores and nada…

Thanks!

22 hours ago, ArgonV said:

Howdy all, new 2600+ user here since April! I’m having a blast with this. I finally was able to pick up a second CX40+ controller for 2-player with my wife, the CX30+ paddles and game combo set, extension cables (sitting so close in-front of a 65” TV is neck cramp inducing) and the new 7800 game carts - but cannot seem to find the CX78+ controllers anywhere in stock in the U.S. Is there another source I’m missing? Tried the Atari site of course (which said they are available under the “Availability” description), Amazon, local GameStop and BestBuy stores as well as their online stores and nada…

Thanks!

Only place you can order 2600+ stuff frfom currently in the US is Amazon.com and Atari.com.

If they are out of stock then the launch stock has been all sold. There is more being made at the minute due to land at retailers in September.

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Yes.

Hi Ben,

I was using my Flashback Gold and enjoyed how the extra controls are on the back edge of the joystick.

It set me thinking about a 'CX-40 Plus Deluxe', which would feature a Game Reset, Game Select, B/W, mode on that same back/edge, with the addition of left difficuly and right difficulty on the front. Every game would then be couch compliant. Perhaps it couls also be microswitched too.

I must admit I have not plugged the Flashback stick into my 2600 Plus, I assume it would just work as a standard CX40.

47 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Hi Ben,

I was using my Flashback Gold and enjoyed how the extra controls are on the back edge of the joystick.

It set me thinking about a 'CX-40 Plus Deluxe', which would feature a Game Reset, Game Select, B/W, mode on that same back/edge, with the addition of left difficuly and right difficulty on the front. Every game would then be couch compliant. Perhaps it couls also be microswitched too.

I must admit I have not plugged the Flashback stick into my 2600 Plus, I assume it would just work as a standard CX40.

Already looked at this kind of controller functionality - it wont work without a complete re-design of the IO PCB of the 2600+

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

Yes it does. The extra buttons on the flashback joystick create combinations of directions you cannot physically make with the joystick. I don't know the exact combinations anymore (many years ago I tested these buttons), but think of something like this: pushing the start-button on the flashback joystick generates a situation that the joystick is pushed left and right at the same time. The value generated by this "impossible" movement is recognized by the emulator as pushing the start-button.

So in theory I think it is possible to implement this on the 2600+, but to achieve this the firmware/emulator(s) must be adapted for these kinds of commands.

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 4

Extra buttons on a controller would not function as expected on an original console.  Sure it might still be backwards compatible for the base functionality, but it would no longer be an accurate reproduction.  Select/Reset I can kind of see as convenience functions.  Something like Difficulty or Color/B&W it would be weird to be able to toggle them somehow when the console physical switch is still in its same un-moved position.

I don't know what opportunity there is for this really, USB OTG perhaps, but maybe a special breakout pad just for the 2600+, would work with any controller you want to use because its a separate piece for toggling switches.  Sounds messy though.  In general after the game starts you don't have to fiddle with the switches that much in most games, except to reset again.  Some games using the switches does get more involved during play. I see the slight challenge and it has been commented on before.  People are wanting extension cables and to sit on their couch 10-20 feet away from their enormous modern flat panel, but you've recreated a console designed for direct manipulation and interaction in your 1970s/80s cozy living room or den, with the unit right on the coffee table mere feet away from the set, or next to a large console unit with you on the floor :P 

So far I'm sitting close to the TV, and its mostly fine.  I think my alternative to go to the couch would be to employ really long HDMI and USB power cables to bring the console with me, where it would rest on a coffee table or TV tray.  Not something you would do with an Xbox.  But I think the cabling would be more cumbersome than finding a setup to just be closer to the unit/TV and accept that this is a gaming paradigm from a different era and this is the price of being more authentic.  Anybody using real hardware has similar/same challenge.  If you want more modern convenience then there's your Flashbacks.  Some were even wireless, and the 2.4G controllers for AFB 8 and 9 worked particularly well and had all those convenience buttons.  But you also have that now with the AGSP.  So there are options for people who really need/want them.

• Like 1

Its an inevitability that i will get more than one, once i am able to... i figure even if i only need 2, if anything happens to any of them, or if i wanna have a set for my 2600, 2600+, 7800, master system, genesis, Colecovision, Dishwasher, etc

I gotta stockpile without scalping.

21 hours ago, Fred_M said:

Yes it does. The extra buttons on the flashback joystick create combinations of directions you cannot physically make with the joystick. I don't know the exact combinations anymore (many years ago I tested these buttons), but think of something like this: pushing the start-button on the flashback joystick generates a situation that the joystick is pushed left and right at the same time. The value generated by this "impossible" movement is recognized by the emulator as pushing the start-button.

So in theory I think it is possible to implement this on the 2600+, but to achieve this the firmware/emulator(s) must be adapted for these kinds of commands.

Ah, so the same way a driving controller works, and they are working on getting those compatible, so perhaps a stick with the console switches on would work one day. 

• Like 2

Amazon US has them listed currently for shipping later this month. I ordered one and it says delivery is expected between August 22-29. They had a similar listing for Ninja Golf and it came much quicker than expected.

2 hours ago, peteloaf said:

Amazon US has them listed currently for shipping later this month. I ordered one and it says delivery is expected between August 22-29. They had a similar listing for Ninja Golf and it came much quicker than expected.

Thanks for this. Been checking there everyday and never saw it. Just got one though.

Ninja Golf's back in stock !!! Just picked up a copy from amazon with a next week delivery date ! 

Same with the CX78+. 

Get yours while you can ! 

Where are those folks that told me Amazon.com sucks now lol 

Edited by tradyblix

On 8/8/2024 at 10:02 AM, genfuyung said:

Thanks for this. Been checking there everyday and never saw it. Just got one though.

There is something wrong (that changed) with the keywords for amazon. Try putting ninja golf 7800 and you don't see it anymore until you also add atari ninja golf 7800. not good. 

For collectors in New Zealand, the 2600+ is currently discounted by about 35% at Mighty Ape.

They also have all of the game cartridges, controllers (including the CX78+) and accessories (except the paddles with the 4-in-1 cartridge) in stock for next day delivery.

If you can't wait a whole day, most EB Games stores have all the same items including the CX78+ available to buy off the shelf (but all at full price currently).

• 3 weeks later...

I got my second CX-78+ from Amazon.com today.  I pre-ordered earlier in the month while they were briefly available (they're not any longer). 

And like clockwork it came in an abused, beat-up, crumpled box in a worthless white bubbleope. But I'm so sure this is just totally rare and very low incidence of this occurring (to like half of everybody on this forum, but whatev's).  I mean, I bought an extra CX-40+, extra paddles, paddle combo set, my first CX-78+, extension cables, the console, multiple game carts, etc, etc, from Atari.com and they all delivered in pristine condition.  Even pre-ordered wireless controllers and 7800+ and games from Atari.com with confidence.  But the one stinkin' little thing I buy from Amazon and they can't just deliver it without somebody practically sitting on it or worse.  The controller itself seems to have survived, which is a good thing, since it's not like they can exchange an item that is completely out of stock.  So Amazon, you suck and thanks for nothing.  Again.

On 7/31/2024 at 5:39 AM, Fred_M said:

Well it's too late now. But I wish just a little bit more thought on this topic had occurred before these systems came to market.

Imagine having wireless controllers from the start, that allowed you to input game reset from the controller, so all the early 2600 games that can't start on fire button don't require you to physically get up close to where the unit is. You'd have solved one of the greatest pet peeves ever in games like Megamania. A 40+ year old pet peeve that is STILL an issue. Oh well. It's the authentic experience I guess. 

Edited by tradyblix