IGNORED

Is the 2600+ a worthy investment if I already own a regular 2600?

PlutoniumPasta

On 8/19/2024 at 12:31 PM, DEANJIMMY said:

And once you get used to the crisp video output, you don't even like your old console with video mod and Retrotink5x or even CRT anymore, at least I did😉

image.png.337bc5f2252151c5ea3d7dd0a3ddfede.png

• Haha 2

My personal opinion is that, if you want to have a higher resolution output and you want to be able to play 7800 games as well, go with the 2600+. It's a great system. I like mine, having no regrets whatsoever in buying it. I had a 2600 as a kid, so it's brought back a lot of fun childhood memories. 

HOWEVER, there are a few drawbacks to the 2600+ in comparison to the original VCS/2600. First is the fact that it's emulation, which means games are going to have a little bit of input lag. Second is that paddle movement isn't as smooth on the screen, as it's an analog to digital conversion rather than analog all the way. For most games this isn't that big of a deal, though it does make it harder to react in time with some fast things. With at least Super Breakout, I and others have found the movement jitter VERY noticeable, and to the point that it detracts from the enjoyment of playing it. The third is that, though the list is shrinking, some games still and peripherals won't work with the 2600+. One of the more well known games that still doesn't work with it is Pitfall II, though the latest experimental firmware has enabled it to work for some. When it comes to Star Raiders, the touchpad you use for that game doesn't work.

Having said this, if you still want it, it might actually be a good idea to wait for the release of the newly announced 7800+, which is being released later this year, and for the same price. Like the 2600+ it will play both 2600 and 7800 games, but it will come with more up to date firmware. It also comes with a newly designed, stronger socket. However, the biggest thing is that it can use wireless controllers, and comes with a wireless CX78+ gamepad. It can also use the new wireless CX40+ joystick. And you can still use the traditional wired controllers if you have them or would just rather use them. So, it's like a 2600+ underneath, but better.  

That's just my two cents.

• Like 3

Gabe said it all! 

The main reason I purchased mine was the fact that it uses cartridges and the HDMI output! Love the original Atari but couldn’t stand the annoying interference you get on the screen. The HDMI is a crisp clear picture. It’s so enjoyable playing Atari games on the 2600+

and it’s Brand New! The smaller size allows you to set up anywhere and easily transport it to another location.

I received mine in November and have been using it since then. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

My personal opinion is that, if you want to have a higher resolution output and you want to be able to play 7800 games as well, go with the 2600+. It's a great system. I like mine, having no regrets whatsoever in buying it. I had a 2600 as a kid, so it's brought back a lot of fun childhood memories. 

HOWEVER, there are a few drawbacks to the 2600+ in comparison to the original VCS/2600. First is the fact that it's emulation, which means games are going to have a little bit of input lag. Second is that paddle movement isn't as smooth on the screen, as it's an analog to digital conversion rather than analog all the way. For most games this isn't that big of a deal, though it does make it harder to react in time with some fast things. With at least Super Breakout, I and others have found the movement jitter VERY noticeable, and to the point that it detracts from the enjoyment of playing it. The third is that, though the list is shrinking, some games still and peripherals won't work with the 2600+. One of the more well known games that still doesn't work with it is Pitfall II, though the latest experimental firmware has enabled it to work for some. When it comes to Star Raiders, the touchpad you use for that game doesn't work.

Having said this, if you still want it, it might actually be a good idea to wait for the release of the newly announced 7800+, which is being released later this year, and for the same price. Like the 2600+ it will play both 2600 and 7800 games, but it will come with more up to date firmware. It also comes with a newly designed, stronger socket. However, the biggest thing is that it can use wireless controllers, and comes with a wireless CX78+ gamepad. It can also use the new wireless CX40+ joystick. And you can still use the traditional wired controllers if you have them or would just rather use them. So, it's like a 2600+ underneath, but better.  

That's just my two cents.

I personally don't think Super Breakout is acceptable atm. It should be yellow, at the very least, on any compatibility chart. I can't play it like that. 

• Like 2

Worthy investment is entirely based on what you have available.

If you have an RGB or s-video modded 2600 or 7800 feeding into a good upscaler, then it's probably not needed.

If you don't have a higher end video mod, no upscaler, and your choice is the poor upscaler in the HD television or the little 13" color CRT that you're trying to nursemaid, then it's a worthy investment.

• Like 1

I really like the perspective that it helps folks with the PAL standard to enjoy the libraries.  That is not something that would have occurred to me.

With all the comments about the HDMI output, just know that even with a native device outputting HDMI, the speed of your TVs refresh will still matter as to whether or not you will see performance lag.  You can achieve the same performance and picture by connecting an HDMI cable to a computer as you can with the 2600/7800+.

I do that sometimes (connect a computer to the TV), but I generally prefer to just play with an original machine on a CRT because the performance matters to me.  I can't play PAL carts though!

If you are thinking preservation - we've seen lots of devices in this category (and not just for Atari).  I wouldn't bet on the long-term durability being the same (or close) as an original machine.

I'm a purist with an extensive collection of original hardware, but I would say it's worth it, for two reasons:

1. Although I prefer original stuff and CRTs, it's good to have the option to play on a TV that was made in the last 15 years. (You can anyway if it has an antenna input, but RF on LCD is awful.)

2. NTSC and PAL are now interchangeable on it. The PAL carts I was sold by people advertising them as NTSC are no longer a waste of money!* 😜 (I also have some known PAL games I was just never able to play before.)

*Pro Tip: Before buying, always get screenshots or videos of Telegames USA or rare Spectravideo cartridges listed as NTSC.

• Like 1

Good morning everyone. I'm an atarian as a child.I have many original Atari consoles 2600 7800 etc and many games. Well having said that until now  I have never bought the 2600 plus.

Scared and intimidated by the comments for the not optimal  compatibility of the original games. I am aware of an update firmware that greatly improves the situation. I was told how to do it but I'm not good at it and so I won't do it.

My question Is : Today, if I buy a 2600 plus from the Amazon store or in any other store, would I buy an atari plus that the Atari company has appropriately updated with the new firmware or is it the buyer himself who is condemned to do so? I repeat I don't want to do the firmware update by myself because I'm not able to do it and no one would help me to do it.thank you very much for the help

I hesitated for a long time until recently to buy an Atari 2600+.

The main reason was, because of the compatibility issues: I mostly play homebrew games and so there are still a number of unplayable (all Champ Games e.g.). The other big down point is the not 100% acuracy of the paddle controllers with some games.

On the other hand, the HD-improved picture is really a big step up I did not expect to be so much appealing: it really makes a difference in the overall experience of enjoyment. That alone is reason enough to purchase it.

Concerning other ways to emulate: in my case, optics and haptics are part of the experience so I could not imagine to play it any other way (even not with a retron77)

Edited by m.o.terra kaesi
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, m.o.terra kaesi said:

I hesitated for a long time until recently to buy an Atari 2600+.

The main reason was, because of the compatibility issues: I mostly play homebrew games and so there are still a number of unplayable (all Champ Games e.g.). The other big down point is the not 100% acuracy of the paddle controllers with some games.

On the other hand, the HD-improved picture is really a big step up I did not expect to be so much appealing: it really makes a difference in the overall experience of enjoyment. That alone is reason enough to purchase it.

Concerning other ways to emulate: in my case, optics and haptics are part of the experience so I could not imagine to play it any other way (even not with a retron77)

Of the playground excluding the champ and Harmony titles, can you venture a percentage of games that are good? 70 80 per cent 

3 hours ago, PeppeSyd said:

Of the playground excluding the champ and Harmony titles, can you venture a percentage of games that are good? 70 80 per cent 

Yes, that would be also my guess. Of the about currently avaliable 130 homebrew games in the Atariage Store, it might be about 70 to 80 % (probably closer to 80 than 70)

I think I read that all homebrews with special bankswitching schemes and titles above 32kb do also not work. Al will tell us soon according to his researches.

Here's a own topics to this:

Edited by m.o.terra kaesi
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, m.o.terra kaesi said:

Sì, anche questa sarebbe una mia ipotesi. Dei circa 130 giochi homebrew attualmente disponibili nell'Atariage Store, potrebbe essere circa il 70-80% (probabilmente più vicino all'80 che al 70)

Mi pare di aver letto che tutti gli homebrew con schemi di bank-switching speciali e titoli sopra i 32 kb non funzionano. Al ce lo dirà presto, in base alle sue ricerche.

Ecco un argomento specifico per questo:

@PeppeSyd - The 2600+ only has one official firmware right now and that is the original.  If you order today, you should expect to do the update yourself.

They have announced a new machine the 7800+ which will ship with the new firmware, but it is only in the pre-order stage now.

• Thanks 1

On 8/23/2024 at 12:18 PM, wongojack said:

@PeppeSyd - The 2600+ only has one official firmware right now and that is the original.  If you order today, you should expect to do the update yourself.

They have announced a new machine the 7800+ which will ship with the new firmware, but it is only in the pre-order stage now.

pre-order == Atari gets an interest free distributed loan while they wait for Chinese supplier to finish making it 

• Like 1

Sooner or later even the best kept original systems will give out because they are over 40 years old.  The atari 2600+ is not perfect but after you install the update your system will be able to do so much.  The emulation is GOOD emulation.  At least atari is trying to continue the retro torch so to speak.  certain other companies release systems and then forget about them.  How many flashback systems are there now? lol

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If you already own a regular 2600, adding a 2600+ could still be a good move, especially if you're into homebrew games and the newer releases. Mr. Run and Jump, for instance, is a great example of something fresh being created for this system. However, if your main focus is on playing classic games, the original 2600 should have you covered for the most part.

On 8/23/2024 at 6:18 PM, wongojack said:

Hi. We have been shipping some restocks recently of 2600+ to the US market that has the latest Emulation and Cart Dumping firmware loaded.

• Like 5