IGNORED

New Atari 7800+, Wireless Controllers and 2600/7800 Games Announced

Albert

1 hour ago, MattelAquarius said:

According to the StonAge Gamer website, the 7800GD still includes a digital copy.

image.png.b22f53e74eeb59296591637818c217ce.png

If you are an AtariAge subscriber, and you already own a copy of the R&V ROM (via Steam or Humble Bundle), it may be cheaper to buy the 7800GD from AtariAge, with the subscriber discount.

Thank you and @DrVenkman - I do own the game through Steam (and a physical copy), and I am an Atariage Subscriber, so if this is directed at anyone, it's me.  I'll go look for instructions to un-earth the rom and am considering the options.  I would rather buy from AtariAge . . .

2 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

Stoneage Gamer is currently providing a 10% discount (Labor Day Sale) on the GameDrive

Well sh!+ - look at that

It's like they are reading this thread.

And no, I don't believe it does work with the Plus - just crossing over a bit on our topics.

• Like 3

On 8/20/2024 at 6:18 PM, 7800Knight said:

I already have an Atari 7800.

BUT I WANT THOSE NEW GAMES!!!!!  

I never put in the work to make my old 7800 compatible with a modern TV, I just play on an old 13" TV I have from years ago, so the idea of playing on my living room TV is pretty exciting.  That, the different look from my original, the wireless capabilities and just the desire to support new 7800 product with my $$$ will make me happy to own both the original and the new one.  I have some of these games already from AA, but I did order Asteroids Deluxe and Bounty Bob along with the console.  And I'm REALLY hoping this is just the beginning of official new games at the $30 price point.

• Like 2

I get it...the 7800+

It's a way to buy the upgraded hardware without buying the "exact" same thing twice. People that just want something to play can upgrade their 2600+ that they already own and people (like myself) that want something ready to play out of the box and like to collect things anyways can have/own both... Or anyone that hasn't bought one yet might be convinced now with this new wave of stuff.

The $30 price point on CIB homebrew (well, I guess they are commercial releases now) is pretty nice (I almost rolled my eyes a little at the splitting up of Berzerk/Frenzy until I noticed that)

There are little things I could find to complain about (as some of the posts I've read have) but seriously, this is pretty cool so I'm just going to roll with it...I mean c'mon. this is pretty exciting :)  

I've been dyyyyyyiiiiiing for a wireless atari controller!!!

I'm not doing any pre orders though until my last chance games arrive haha

• Like 18

It was kind of obvious Plaion was going to make it but it looks more like the European version when it was not hit there The Sega Master System killed it in Europe, I wish they make a mini version of the SMS, I got that in 1988 after my C64 breadbin, then the Sega Mega Drive, I got the SMS from Toys 'R' Us, thats no more now... :(

The SMS in Toys 'R' Us in 1988 was £89.99... :)

Edited by Spanner

I never knew the Atari 7800 existed until the Atari 2600 Plus came out, it was not advertised in the UK in 1986/7 or 8, I found out about the Sega Master System (loved playing Outrun, Hang-On and Space Harrier at Butlins, I played Hard Drivin' there too, it had its own Arcades in the 80s, brilliant moving cabinet) from a friend who had one and swap it with my C64, then sold it and then bought it again later in 1989 from Toys R Us (I would sell things then regret it and buy it again).
The problem with the Atari 7800 is it looks like a bigger version of the 2600 so if you pasted it in Toys R Us you would think it was a bigger version of the 2600, Atari should of changed its design to draw people in.

Edited by Spanner

Hi crew! I'm new to the Atari 7800. I've played the Atari 2600 library my entire life. Love my Atari 2600+ and playing them on my big ole'HD TV. I've never owned nor played the 7800. So this new release looks awesome!

One quick question I have to ask. Out of the entire Atari 2600 library, will Space Shuttle be playable on the 7800+? Since it uses all those Atari 2600 switches, bells and whistles.

Thanks in advance! 🙂

13 minutes ago, pacsonic75 said:

Hi crew! I'm new to the Atari 7800. I've played the Atari 2600 library my entire life. Love my Atari 2600+ and playing them on my big ole'HD TV. I've never owned nor played the 7800. So this new release looks awesome!

One quick question I have to ask. Out of the entire Atari 2600 library, will Space Shuttle be playable on the 7800+? Since it uses all those Atari 2600 switches, bells and whistles.

Thanks in advance! 🙂

Yes.

The only switch that is different on the 7800 is the Black White / Color is replaced with a pause toggle (only pauses for 7800 games).  Space Shuttle has backup engines assigned to the left difficulty switch in case the Black White / Color one is not available.

I love the “Play like it’s 1986” campaign as well. :) 

Movies from 1986:

Aliens, Stand By Me, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Pretty In Pink, Cronenberg's The Fly, Lynch's Blue Velvet, Labyrinth, Oliver Stone would double punch with Platoon and Salvador, Back To School, Highlander, Big Trouble In Little China, Transformer's The Movie (Hell yeah!), Don Bluth's An American Tail, Raw Deal (Arnold!), Tobe Hopper's excellent remake Invaders From Mars, Three Amigos, Little Shop of Horrors, Crocodile Dundee, 9 1/2 Weeks (Kim Basinger oh... my...), Short Circuit, Miyazaki's Castle In The Sky, Star Trek IV, F/X, The Money Pit, The Karate Kid Part II, Scorsese's The Color of Money, the excellent drama Children of A Lesser God, Cobra (Stallone!), Psycho III (Anthony Perkin's directs and stars in this excellent continuation), Eastwood's Heartbreak Ridge, Poltergeist II, Henry Portrait of A Serial Killer, Youngblood, Hoosiers, Sid and Nancy, Critters (the B-Movie Gremlins), Trauma's delicious B-Movie Class of Nuke 'em High, Jumpin' Jack Flash, The Golden Child, Rutger Hauer would double punch as well with The Hitcher and Wanted Dead or Alive, Friday The 13th Part IV, The Mosquito Coast (Ford's underrated gem), Ron Howard's and Michael Keaton's hilarious Gung Ho, Disney's The Great Mouse Detective, Fred Dekker's Night of The Creeps, Iron Eagle and wait for it...

TOP GUN! :) 

I'm exhausted after typing that all in. Remember, that's only 1 year from the 80's. We'll be lucky if we get a handful of titles like this in this year alone (or decade for that matter) :(.

All the great music, soundtracks, memories and pop culture that came from that year alone.

Yes, my kids have seen already seen a bunch of these gems. Except for 9 1/2 Weeks of course. ;) 

• Like 2

I love what Atari is doing with the 7800+ release and expanding their legacy catalog reprints and new homebrew release cartridges. :) 

I cross my fingers and hope that they'll work with Microsoft to get some of those awesome classic Activision titles re-released as well.

Hero! Chopper Command! Starmaster! Space Shuttle! Tomcat! Pitfall 1 & 2! Oh my!

Personally, I'd love an Atari 2600 re-release of Ghostbusters but that's like Microsoft, Sony and Ghost Corps getting involved with that one. Yeah, that probably ain't ever gonna happen. :( 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Noah98 said:

Sorry if I missed the answer to this, but will homebrews like Space Rocks work on the 7800+? I feel like that would make me buy one!

Space Rocks works on the 2600+, at least on the experimental firmware, I can't talk about 1.0 firmware. I'm sure it will work on the 7800+ then too. 

Edited by JetmanUK